Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/13/2017  1:35 PM
blkexec wrote:
Uptown wrote:
blkexec wrote:Ron Harper was not a PG in college and he led the bulls through multiple championships. We have to get out of the traditional thinking of what a PG looks like. And focus on what a PG like Frank can bring to the PG position.

Similar to how Ball looks long and slow....But he's affective.

Same with Frank....He will look slow, because he's 6'6 and long. But with a jumper (I can attest to this), players will close out on him very quick. You use that to your advantage with dribble drive penetration.

You can and will develop more penetration moves, just being around the league and trainers. Thats the easy part. How Frank handles the NBA mentally is always the challenge for all rookies. Based on history, he should do well in that area, with his pro experience.

Smith vs Frank is the classic comparison of an explosive guard, who relies on his athleticism and a High IQ two way guard, who doesn't need to rely on athleticism or explosiveness to impact the game.

Smith is a typical And One NYC type of PG.....flashy and will be all over sports center. Frank is a championship type PG, who will never get the credit he deserves. With all the injuries to small explosive guards, I rather invest in Frank, who's two way potential is very high. And long defenders, who can shoot and pass is rare!

Why is it when a guard can handle the ball like its on a string, can dunk and throw nice passes that it automatically equals an And One type of player? If this is the case, I guess John Wall, Kyrie and Russ are And One Players too...

Kyrie and Russ....definitely. But thats todays NBA. The PGs dominate the ball and control the scoring more than in the past. In order to have that kind of impact, you need a little And One type of handle, creativity and scoring ability. This is the new age of NBA players. It went from a center's league to a SG's league.....and now it's a PG's league. Soon if not already, a Guards league, filled with multi-skilled Forwards. Thats the current and future for a little while.....Until it changes back to the Nitty type of PGs. This is where visionaries like Phil impacts the game. If he didn't sabatage his NY career, I believe he would've led that change of guards responsibility into a system type role.

Once Nitty adjusts to the NBA level and starts to function within a team concept fans will start to appreciate the kind of well rounded player he is. IMO Nitty is a kid that should be able to perform in just about every aspect of guard play. PG and SG skills on both ends of the floor. He's showing the ability to shoot from all areas of the floor.

People forget that guys who ended up being the great PG's of the league weren't the most athletic or explosive guys. Great breakdown ability, explosion has its place but is not the most important factor in being a successful PG in this league. Nitty is athletic enough to be effective at the NBA level but his BBIQ, Defensive Intensity and overall skills will be what sets him apart.

AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Member: #6239

8/13/2017  1:38 PM
Why is it that we have to conform to what other teams are doing? Obviously we have to work within the way the games are being officiated, but I disagree with this cookie cutter team building mentality. GSW was built when Miami and SAS were winning titles and their championship team wasn't built using Heat and Spurs as the blueprint.

We don't need a PG who's attributes totally parallels Wall or Westbrook or Kyrie. I would love to hear other teams down the road say they need to find a Ntilikina-like point guard.

nixluva
USA
8/13/2017  1:47 PM
Welpee wrote:Why is it that we have to conform to what other teams are doing? Obviously we have to work within the way the games are being officiated, but I disagree with this cookie cutter team building mentality. GSW was built when Miami and SAS were winning titles and their championship team wasn't built using Heat and Spurs as the blueprint.

We don't need a PG who's attributes totally parallels Wall or Westbrook or Kyrie. I would love to hear other teams down the road say they need to find a Ntilikina-like point guard.

True! Also the Knicks are built with a lot of big players. We can't just ignore the fact that some of our best players are bigs. That pretty much dictates the style of ball this team is going to play for the most part.

This doesn't mean the Knicks will be a slow walk it up team but a certain amount of the offense will involve our bigs so the Knicks will play their own style of ball. This isn't GS or Houston.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
8/13/2017  1:55 PM
Welpee wrote:Why is it that we have to conform to what other teams are doing? Obviously we have to work within the way the games are being officiated, but I disagree with this cookie cutter team building mentality. GSW was built when Miami and SAS were winning titles and their championship team wasn't built using Heat and Spurs as the blueprint.

We've never conformed to the rest of the league. It hasn't gotten good results. Its silly to say penetration doesnt matter and that nittys bbiq is worlds better than those guys who can penetrate. The marquee pgs can do it all and have a good sense of the game. The other guys could turn out like Derrick rose but may turn into a Wall or Paul. If Nitty can't get past his guy and is not a threat to drive it's a severe limitation on his potential. Let's hope it's more a technique and confidence thing than a slow and uncoordinated thing.
Kemet
Member: #6148

8/13/2017  3:14 PM
After drafting Frank Nitty .. Phil/Mills first priority were to sign a starter PG from the FA market to lead the point in the backcourt .. this way Frank Nitty could play the combo-guard throughout his rookie season ....
The Knicks Ewing had the Knicks draft his Georgetown PG Michael Jackson the year before drafting Mark Jackson, Michael Jackson didn't make the team n tried again the next season when Mark Jackson beat him out in the summer league n preseason games .. Mark Jackson n Bill Cartwright took Ewing to his first NBA playoff game
Welpee

8/13/2017  5:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/13/2017  5:44 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:

We've never conformed to the rest of the league. It hasn't gotten good results. Its silly to say penetration doesnt matter and that nittys bbiq is worlds better than those guys who can penetrate. The marquee pgs can do it all and have a good sense of the game. The other guys could turn out like Derrick rose but may turn into a Wall or Paul. If Nitty can't get past his guy and is not a threat to drive it's a severe limitation on his potential. Let's hope it's more a technique and confidence thing than a slow and uncoordinated thing.
Who said "penetration doesn't matter?" It sounds like a lot you guys want to believe if he doesn't get to the rim like Wall or Westbrook he's a bust. Like there's no middle ground or that other attributes he may bring to the table won't matter.

Again, this mentality that elite point guards have to fit the same mold is head scratching.

nixluva
USA
8/13/2017  5:49 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:

Nitty is in his own category. IMO he's like a better shooting Shaun Livingston. He can penetrate but he's not in the DRose category in that one aspect. Nitty is also highly versatile in that he can play PG/SG and defend both equally. He's not Mark Jackson Slow! He's just not Elite quickness.

Nitty isn't gonna just blow past guys but because he can shoot defenders will have to respect that and this how he can get by his man as they get closer to try and defend his jumper!

Welpee

8/13/2017  5:50 PM
Kemet wrote:After drafting Frank Nitty .. Phil/Mills first priority were to sign a starter PG from the FA market to lead the point in the backcourt .. this way Frank Nitty could play the combo-guard throughout his rookie season ....
The Knicks Ewing had the Knicks draft his Georgetown PG Michael Jackson the year before drafting Mark Jackson, Michael Jackson didn't make the team n tried again the next season when Mark Jackson beat him out in the summer league n preseason games .. Mark Jackson n Bill Cartwright took Ewing to his first NBA playoff game
Sorry but I don't have a clue what any of this means.
Welpee

8/13/2017  5:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/13/2017  5:53 PM
nixluva wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:

Nitty is in his own category. IMO he's like a better shooting Shaun Livingston. He can penetrate but he's not in the DRose category in that one aspect. Nitty is also highly versatile in that he can play PG/SG and defend both equally. He's not Mark Jackson Slow! He's just not Elite quickness.

Nitty isn't gonna just blow past guys but because he can shoot defenders will have to respect that and this how he can get by his man as they get closer to try and defend his jumper!

Exactly. Again, I've never seen this kid play so I have no idea how good or bad he may be. But based on what I've read he may be a different kind of point guard. And that doesn't have to translate into being a bust.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/13/2017  8:31 PM
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:

Exactly. Again, I've never seen this kid play so I have no idea how good or bad he may be. But based on what I've read he may be a different kind of point guard. And that doesn't have to translate into being a bust.

I agree

IMO, regardless of anything. The Knicks felt they took a good prospect who comes with a strong work ethic. They feel he can play defense, shoot and put the ball on the floor at a good level already. He can continue to develop those things and his body to become a complete all around player. He is viewed as a PG due to his pass first mentality and ability to set up the offense. He started in the playoffs and finals as the PG of a pro league. A coach isn't letting an 18 yr old kid start in that league let alone playoffs and finals at PG if he isn't capable of commanding the offense. And as the starting PG his team went to game 5(only 5 games) of the finals.

His turn over rate was excellent as a PG. For someone with such *poor handle*.

But even if he doesn't become a player who can take over games with his PG ability. Finding players who can be solid in defense, shooting & putting the ball on the floor play making for others is hard to find.

Its also likely Hardaway Jr ups his usage a lot with the Knicks as a primary ball handler.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/13/2017  10:23 PM
nixluva wrote:

True! Also the Knicks are built with a lot of big players. We can't just ignore the fact that some of our best players are bigs. That pretty much dictates the style of ball this team is going to play for the most part.

This doesn't mean the Knicks will be a slow walk it up team but a certain amount of the offense will involve our bigs so the Knicks will play their own style of ball. This isn't GS or Houston.

Exactly. We needed a guy who complemented KP, and, hopefully, Willy. We can't go back to the Isiah way of collecting assets and hoping they mesh. Frank is a better fit with the team we're building now.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

8/14/2017  8:10 AM
No one else is worried that Frank shares some of the same deficiencies as Dante Exum who has been basically a total bust. Frank is a much better shooter and appears to be a better defender but the same failings getting into the paint are present.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Welpee

8/14/2017  9:09 AM
Jmpasq wrote:No one else is worried that Frank shares some of the same deficiencies as Dante Exum who has been basically a total bust. Frank is a much better shooter and appears to be a better defender but the same failings getting into the paint are present.
KP shared some of the same attributes of Bargnani and Darko. How did that work out?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/14/2017  9:48 AM
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:No one else is worried that Frank shares some of the same deficiencies as Dante Exum who has been basically a total bust. Frank is a much better shooter and appears to be a better defender but the same failings getting into the paint are present.
KP shared some of the same attributes of Bargnani and Darko. How did that work out?

Exactly. Exum and Nitty are different enough where you can't make a straight apples to apples comparison.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
8/14/2017  10:34 AM
WTF is wrong with Ntlikina. Why on earth is he trying to get better at something. Why the hell does he need to practice. I know he is doing all this because he sucks. Nitty should be 100% ready for the NBA with no weaknesses.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

8/14/2017  10:40 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Exactly. Exum and Nitty are different enough where you can't make a straight apples to apples comparison.

IMO. The Kid has the ability to be a good tall defender. His offensive game will take some time. Dont know if he has the skill set to be a penetrating, offensive threat. But that does not mean he can not get better at it. It is yet to be seen. SO many times people over hype a good pick and are the first to throw him to the side if he does not meet the ridiculous expectations. Think we need to let the kid have a full year under his belt to see his potential. I did not like the pick but am hoping I am proven wrong.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nixluva
USA
8/14/2017  12:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:

IMO. The Kid has the ability to be a good tall defender. His offensive game will take some time. Dont know if he has the skill set to be a penetrating, offensive threat. But that does not mean he can not get better at it. It is yet to be seen. SO many times people over hype a good pick and are the first to throw him to the side if he does not meet the ridiculous expectations. Think we need to let the kid have a full year under his belt to see his potential. I did not like the pick but am hoping I am proven wrong.

Clearly the Knicks knew there were better Dribble Drive PG's in this draft but they weren't looking for that. Nitty is more of a Utility Knife player who should be able to fill many roles and needs for this team.

I'm pretty interested to see just what Jeff has in store for Nitty and the Knicks in general. I think Jeff could really help Nitty since he was a SG that had some PG skills and a high BBIQ. Nitty should be a very flexible player for this team. I see Nitty being perhaps a better version of Shaun Livingston. Nitty should be able to score over smaller PG's but also hit 3pt shots which isn't part of Shaun's game.

I can see Nitty cutting and being effective going to the basket or pulling up MidRange like Shaun. Even posting up smaller guards. It's going to be interesting watching Nitty develop and use all of his skills and size.

Kemet
Member: #6148

8/14/2017  3:12 PM
You
Welpee wrote:
Kemet wrote:After drafting Frank Nitty .. Phil/Mills first priority were to sign a starter PG from the FA market to lead the point in the backcourt .. this way Frank Nitty could play the combo-guard throughout his rookie season ....

You may not understand bc u like guessing on the type of player Frank Nitty are or become ..
The poster use Mark Jackson as a comparison when Mark Kackson n Chris Mullen took St John to the NCAA playoffs 3 consecutive years .. in other words Mark Jackson were NBA ready having 4 yrs experience in the NCAA playoffs ..
Frank Nitty videos of playing ball in France are good but not enough proof to show how high his calibre of professional ball from the competition he faced in France .. was Frank a safe early pick? Yes. If the Knicks had a NBA veteran starter backcourt PG n SG that had a yr or 2 experience playing as a tandem to tutor the young guards in Frank Baker n THJ.
Knicks management had no intention on resigning D.Rose who one on one offense are 10 times better than THJ at the SG position.
The Baker n Rose tandem late in the season needed more time at playing together last season.
Knicks management did not do like Philly did after selecting Fultz in the draft by adding veteran backcourt starters in Bayless n Reddick for their backcourt .. nor did our management have veteran guard starters like Dallas coach Rick Carlisle has for their Draft pick DSJ having Barea Harris n Wesley to tutor Seth Curry n DSJ in the backcourt .. Look at the Sacramento Kings now after selecting Fox in the draft they signed starting guards Hill n ole man Carter to lead m tutor their backcourt guard rotation of Fox Mason III Bogdan n Heild.

Our Knicks management old/New has been doing the same old tactics they been doing since bring Mills in 1998 .. putting together a team of 1 and 2 yr contract players with no ecentive of being a future Knicks player.
Maybe KP missing the final meeting of the season had a lot to do with saying goodbye to over half his teammates again .... how many teammates did management get rid of in KP rookie season plus how many of KP teammates from his 2nd season will be on the roster to start KP 3rd season with the Knicks

knicks1248
Member: #582
8/14/2017  5:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/14/2017  5:38 PM
Kemet wrote:You
Welpee wrote:

You may not understand bc u like guessing on the type of player Frank Nitty are or become ..
The poster use Mark Jackson as a comparison when Mark Kackson n Chris Mullen took St John to the NCAA playoffs 3 consecutive years .. in other words Mark Jackson were NBA ready having 4 yrs experience in the NCAA playoffs ..
Frank Nitty videos of playing ball in France are good but not enough proof to show how high his calibre of professional ball from the competition he faced in France .. was Frank a safe early pick? Yes. If the Knicks had a NBA veteran starter backcourt PG n SG that had a yr or 2 experience playing as a tandem to tutor the young guards in Frank Baker n THJ.
Knicks management had no intention on resigning D.Rose who one on one offense are 10 times better than THJ at the SG position.
The Baker n Rose tandem late in the season needed more time at playing together last season.
Knicks management did not do like Philly did after selecting Fultz in the draft by adding veteran backcourt starters in Bayless n Reddick for their backcourt .. nor did our management have veteran guard starters like Dallas coach Rick Carlisle has for their Draft pick DSJ having Barea Harris n Wesley to tutor Seth Curry n DSJ in the backcourt .. Look at the Sacramento Kings now after selecting Fox in the draft they signed starting guards Hill n ole man Carter to lead m tutor their backcourt guard rotation of Fox Mason III Bogdan n Heild.

Our Knicks management old/New has been doing the same old tactics they been doing since bring Mills in 1998 .. putting together a team of 1 and 2 yr contract players with no ecentive of being a future Knicks player.
Maybe KP missing the final meeting of the season had a lot to do with saying goodbye to over half his teammates again .... how many teammates did management get rid of in KP rookie season plus how many of KP teammates from his 2nd season will be on the roster to start KP 3rd season with the Knicks

10000% agree, but I always get slammed by a few poster everytime I mention how much of a idiot Mills is. I kept bring up how mills failed to get Tyson a adequate back up, but instead sign jr's god awful brother, only to watch Tyson go down for 8 weeeks.

So essentially if anything happened to frank, session and Baker are our back ups (2 players that shoot under 30% from down town, and under 40% overall.

They should have put the full court press on Rondo, who is not only a leader on the court, but a pass first pg, solid role model for frank and a very decent defender, not to mention no more triangle.

He also is the type of guard that wont just look for melo(if he's still here) every time down court

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

8/14/2017  5:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Kemet wrote:You
Welpee wrote:

10000% agree, but I always get slammed by a few poster everytime I mention how much of a idiot Mills is. I kept bring up how mills failed to get Tyson a adequate back up, but instead sign jr's god awful brother, only to watch Tyson go down for 8 weeeks.

So essentially if anything happened to frank, session and Baker are our back ups (2 players that shoot under 30% from down town, and under 40% overall.

They should have put the full court press on Rondo, who is not only a leader on the court, but a pass first pg, solid role model for frank and a very decent defender, not to mention no more triangle.

He also is the type of guard that wont just look for melo(if he's still here) every time down court

You're still the guy who believes "idiot Mills" turned a team that won 17, 32 and 31 into a playoff team in one off-season.

Realistically, if anything happens to Ntilikina, the Knicks will just get a better lottery selection than they otherwise would have.

New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina working on dribble penetration skills

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy