New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina working on dribble penetration skills
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/18/2017  5:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Another reason to be happy we have a new PG....

From ESPN about Rose last season

Though he will need to produce off the ball regardless, his struggles from the outside will be magnified if Irving returns. Of the 291 players who attempted at least 50 3-pointers last season, Rose ranked 289th in 3-point percentage. He also shot just 9-42 on catch-and-shoot jumpers, ranking in the bottom 10 percentile league-wide. -- Adams
Ouch. They need him to be good at exactly what he is really bad at if Irving is there. Also, isn't the recipe for success with Melo to put a lot of shooters around him?

Well we did have Calderon, Affalo & KP around him at one point. The complaint then was the we didn't get enough penetration.

Doesn't have to be one or the other, lol. Rose was literally one of the worst PGS in the league, and one of the worst shooters in the league from 2 and 3 point range as well. Im so fing happy he signed somewhere else. Dont care if he decides to play the right way in Cleveland. We dont have LeBron James.

AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

8/18/2017  5:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/18/2017  5:57 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Once again your inability to process information continued to shine through.

"Right - what complete mess Phil Jackson left us in. We were heavy on the trail of a moonshot at a second round exit and he left us with pieces to build our future on? Whasat?? Can we fire him again?"

So to compensate for my shortcomings, "can we fire him again?" is not an indication of support for the job he did?

Or was that genuine?

For an otherwise smart person your fixation on trying to find fault with what other people say is quite pathetic. The paragraph started with a reference to the "situation he left us in". "So can we fire him again" is an indication that I think he left us in a decent situation with 4 starting quality players. I am not going to get into your shortcomings anymore. This is exhausting.
Where the heck is Hillary Clinton

I have no idea. How is that relevant?

And the other annoying thing is your habit of taking single lines out of someone's post and then making off hand comments about their relevance without any reference to the context. You asked me for the name of a thread so you could go look up more examples of your inability to read. I obliged.

And now if you will, feel free to carry on your ridiculous knitpicking. I am done here.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

8/18/2017  7:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/18/2017  7:13 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:The paragraph started with a reference to the "situation he left us in". "So can we fire him again" is an indication that I think he left us in a decent situation with 4 starting quality players.

That is how I originally understood your point. I asked a genuine simple question in response. Is having a 4th and 8th pick on the roster when I think we can all agree he didn't intend to qualify for the lottery those years a credit to the job he did or an unintended consequence of not doing very good job?

As opposed to answering that fair question, you went down the rabbit hole try to criticize the question itself.

And the other annoying thing is your habit of taking single lines out of someone's post and then making off hand comments about their relevance without any reference to the context. You asked me for the name of a thread so you could go look up more examples of your inability to read. I obliged.

I asked you to remind me 'ON' the relevant thread, which I assumed was the current trump thread. I didn't recall that was the name of a previous thread. My bad.

Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

8/19/2017  12:09 AM
smackeddog wrote:This workout video is longer and more encouraging- looks faster in it too

I'll tell you what. If Shumpert could shoot like this AND play defense, he would still be here. I'd like to see him at gametime intensity, but I'm pretty impressed with his shot.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
GustavBahler

8/19/2017  9:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/19/2017  9:07 AM
smackeddog wrote:This workout video is longer and more encouraging- looks faster in it too

Frank didnt look bad or anything, but it doesn't tell me much. The slow dribbling exercises, and dribbling in place, arent things you will see in a game, for the most part.

I do like how he is able to spin off the dribble. What Frank shows off the dribble in these workouts is what interests me most. Would like to see Frank use his reach into suckering defenders to overshoot him while he pulls up for a jumper.

Frank may never develop that extra gear that we see in elite PGs, but he can use things like misdirection, to lose defenders, if he cant easily blow by them.

Hard to say what kind of player Frank will be right now as far as his ability to get to the rim. Looking forward to finding out.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/19/2017  10:08 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

Frank didnt look bad or anything, but it doesn't tell me much. The slow dribbling exercises, and dribbling in place, arent things you will see in a game, for the most part.

I do like how he is able to spin off the dribble. What Frank shows off the dribble in these workouts is what interests me most. Would like to see Frank use his reach into suckering defenders to overshoot him while he pulls up for a jumper.

Frank may never develop that extra gear that we see in elite PGs, but he can use things like misdirection, to lose defenders, if he cant easily blow by them.

Hard to say what kind of player Frank will be right now as far as his ability to get to the rim. Looking forward to finding out.

I think we know exactly what kind of PG Nitty is likely to be. I see a slightly more athletic version of Derek Harper. Not a blindingly quick PG but shifty enough to get the job done.

GustavBahler

8/19/2017  10:25 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I think we know exactly what kind of PG Nitty is likely to be. I see a slightly more athletic version of Derek Harper. Not a blindingly quick PG but shifty enough to get the job done.

Derek Harper had a mean streak in him, thats part of what made him who he was as a PG. In his prime Harper averaged around 18/7 and 2 steals. We have yet to see Frank play in the NBA, against even D-league competition. And he didn't look like Derek Harper in France. You're just guessing like everyone else.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

8/19/2017  2:49 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

You don't need a extra gear to be elite perfect example look at the best pg in the league in Steph curry

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/19/2017  3:00 PM
The video in the long sleeves is a couple of weeks earlier then the short sleeve one.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fitzfarm

8/19/2017  3:00 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

You don't need a extra gear to be elite perfect example look at the best pg in the league in Steph curry

I have watched a lot of his games in France and he is a elite sharp shooter who shoots over the top of his defender with ease. He has the craftiness and length once his defender guards him on the outside to get by his defender he's always looking for the open man but isn't afraid make the defense pay for leaving him open or not coming to help after he gets by his defender.

I think his weakest part of his game is knowing when to finish at the hoop or pass but its not because he cant finish around the rim.... he can be overly unselfish,and he forces some bad passes.... all that can be expected from a young player.

I haven't been this excited to see a rookie since......KP lol

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/19/2017  3:03 PM
https://dailyknicks.com/2017/08/19/new-york-knicks-more-footage-of-frank-ntilikina/
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

8/19/2017  4:19 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I have watched a lot of his games in France and he is a elite sharp shooter who shoots over the top of his defender with ease. He has the craftiness and length once his defender guards him on the outside to get by his defender he's always looking for the open man but isn't afraid make the defense pay for leaving him open or not coming to help after he gets by his defender.

I think his weakest part of his game is knowing when to finish at the hoop or pass but its not because he cant finish around the rim.... he can be overly unselfish,and he forces some bad passes.... all that can be expected from a young player.

I haven't been this excited to see a rookie since......KP lol

Dont listen to the guy you just quoted! I agree that some PGs are elite without having elite explosiveness to the rim, buts its becoming more and more, the exception to the rule. Like I said, there are other things Frank can do to make up for that kind of speed, like misdirection, if that never becomes part of his skill set. Too early to tell IMO.

Not making any bold predictions until I see him play against A level competition. The first thing rookies learn in the NBA is how much faster the game is, Europe included. Want to see how Frank adjusts. As I said, looks like he has the right attitude.

nixluva
USA
8/19/2017  4:50 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Derek Harper had a mean streak in him, thats part of what made him who he was as a PG. In his prime Harper averaged around 18/7 and 2 steals. We have yet to see Frank play in the NBA, against even D-league competition. And he didn't look like Derek Harper in France. You're just guessing like everyone else.

Yes, i'm guessing but it's an EDUCATED GUESS! WTF else can you have at this point? IMO Nitty did show some of the same kind of abilities Derek Harper had with a similar build and style. Big long guard that's more smooth than super quick. Not an And1 style ball handler with lots of shake but gets where he needs to get to. Good shooter and smart passer.

You posted Harper's Prime stats as if you think this is not something possible for Nitty down the line. Seems as if you're intimating that Nitty doesn't have that kind of upside. What makes you feel that way? Clearly the Knicks disagree with you in that they passed over known scoring guards in the draft.

Kid was playing with men at 18. What video footage of Harper at 18 do you have? I've watched a TON of footage of Nitty playing. Full game footage. What I saw was a big PG/SG who could flow between on or off ball smoothly. Not super quick but able to be effective and play smart team ball. Able to shoot over smaller PG's. VERY SIMILAR to Harper.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

8/26/2017  12:16 PM
Sangfroid wrote:

I'll tell you what. If Shumpert could shoot like this AND play defense, he would still be here. I'd like to see him at gametime intensity, but I'm pretty impressed with his shot.

Some more of Frank's workout.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
reub
Member: #6227

8/26/2017  1:23 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

Some more of Frank's workout.

Frank is going to be a superstar. It's all there!

fitzfarm

8/26/2017  1:37 PM
Man, after watching grants work out. You can see what a better prospect Frankie is at 18 compared to a 24 year old grant .

I really like the bullips comparisons, Frankie has all the tools to be a star in this league

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
8/27/2017  4:01 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Man, after watching grants work out. You can see what a better prospect Frankie is at 18 compared to a 24 year old grant .

I really like the bullips comparisons, Frankie has all the tools to be a star in this league

I agree. Frank looks faster and smoother than Grant at a much younger age.

Trust the Process
GustavBahler

8/27/2017  9:35 AM
TheGame wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:Man, after watching grants work out. You can see what a better prospect Frankie is at 18 compared to a 24 year old grant .

I agree. Frank looks faster and smoother than Grant at a much younger age.

I believe Grant's biggest issue was/is confidence. He almost always looked tentative as a Knick. He might hit a couple in a row and get ****y, but that wouldn't carry over into the next game. As long as Frank stays confident, stays aggressive, he should be OK.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

8/27/2017  11:39 AM
https://www.facebook.com/TheKnicksDiscussion/videos/1449398351807963/?fref=mentions

Hardaway and Frank working together...

nixluva
USA
8/27/2017  1:43 PM
Uptown wrote:https://www.facebook.com/TheKnicksDiscussion/videos/1449398351807963/?fref=mentions

Hardaway and Frank working together...

MAN. Nitty is freakin HUGE! Nice to see him and THJ working out together.

New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina working on dribble penetration skills

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy