EuroBasket 2017 - KP, Willy and Kuuz
Author Thread
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

9/4/2017  3:51 PM
martin wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:I love KP
But he looks about the same as he was 3 months ago.
Physically just a little stronger.

I don't really see any post moves or better ability to do things.

However I will say that KP with a stronger frame, more able to play at a high motor (he gets tired during the NBA season) is an all-star in the East. That's a 20/8/2 player in the league. So I don't really have a problem if that's what we see this coming season. However he doesn't look like he has added too much of post game or any considerable improvement to his skills.

Did we compare Dirk to Hakeen or Ewing and call them failures when they couldn't do post moves?

KP is a SF in a C's length. He will shoot 3's, take guys off the dribble from out on the perimeter, run the floor like a gazelle, sky for a put back rebound and dunk, and all of those types of things.

We shouldn't judge him on what we want him to do but rather what he can excel at with his unicorn gifts.

All that and he's a year younger starting his 3rd season than Ewing was starting his rookie season.

AUTOADVERT
reub
Member: #6227

9/4/2017  4:58 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

However I will say that KP with a stronger frame, more able to play at a high motor (he gets tired during the NBA season) is an all-star in the East. That's a 20/8/2 player in the league. So I don't really have a problem if that's what we see this coming season. However he doesn't look like he has added too much of post game or any considerable improvement to his skills.

Did we compare Dirk to Hakeen or Ewing and call them failures when they couldn't do post moves?

KP is a SF in a C's length. He will shoot 3's, take guys off the dribble from out on the perimeter, run the floor like a gazelle, sky for a put back rebound and dunk, and all of those types of things.

We shouldn't judge him on what we want him to do but rather what he can excel at with his unicorn gifts.

All that and he's a year younger starting his 3rd season than Ewing was starting his rookie season.

The thing is that he has the inside hook shot. That's the only interior move that he needs because it's impossible to stop. He has to learn that he doesn't always have to dribble through the entire defense but instead just set up low and demand the ball for the hook.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/4/2017  5:13 PM
reub wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

The thing is that he has the inside hook shot. That's the only interior move that he needs because it's impossible to stop. He has to learn that he doesn't always have to dribble through the entire defense but instead just set up low and demand the ball for the hook.

With KP's height and wingspan, if he posted up, spun, and banked the ball, with a high arc off the glass. It would be like a modern Skyhook, almost impossible to stop. As others have brought up about what KP needs in his game.

Porzingis should be thinking of ways to maximize his reach. He's learning how to play small, to get around defenders, shoot off the dribble. Just as important to work on how to play big.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/5/2017  8:52 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

With KP's height and wingspan, if he posted up, spun, and banked the ball, with a high arc off the glass. It would be like a modern Skyhook, almost impossible to stop. As others have brought up about what KP needs in his game.

Porzingis should be thinking of ways to maximize his reach. He's learning how to play small, to get around defenders, shoot off the dribble. Just as important to work on how to play big.

This is my major gripe with KP.... once he learns how to finish using his length he will be unguardable.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Gudris
Member: #6213

9/5/2017  9:22 AM
Latvia today beat Russia 84:69

But this was worst game for KP so far 11 points 4 rebounds

4 fouls in first half(note: in FIBA its only 5 foul limit) and sitting on a bench most of second half, fouled out in the end.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/5/2017  9:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/5/2017  9:39 AM
Gudris wrote:Latvia today beat Russia 84:69

But this was worst game for KP so far 11 points 4 rebounds

4 fouls in first half(note: in FIBA its only 5 foul limit) and sitting on a bench most of second half, fouled out in the end.

Latvia must be talented.... We should get familiar with these guys

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Gudris

9/5/2017  10:53 AM
Gudris

9/5/2017  10:58 AM
Willy vs Croatia is live now http://www.fiba.basketball/ls/#12105&BKM400C11
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/5/2017  11:00 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

The bold... I bet he can do that now. The tough part is the first one... getting position. Thats a lot of pushing and shoving and energy spent to get position to get that shot off. The shot itself is the easy part.

KP is slight and I suspect he always will be. Post is more about a strength advantage (position) than just skill. Im not sure a ton of touches in the post is in KP's future or in his best interest. Finding ways to get him easy shots in the midrange, especially with Willy in the post seems most logical to me.

Diversity is good. Elite skills are better. KP has a fantastic jumper. Its easily his best weapon as its his easiest shot to get off.

Look at this shot chart (this is Dirk's MVP year)
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nowitdi01/shooting/2007

During that season 65% of Dirk's shots were from the midrange (10ft - 3pt) where he shot 50%. When you have that kind of jumper its easy offense.

Obviously comparing KP to an MVP has its pitfalls, but there are similarities. Also Im not saying KP should avoid the post. As I said diversity is good and he needs to take advantages of mismatches. How he takes advantage of them is key.

What I like about easy offense for KP is it allows him to expend more energy on defense where he's got some clear shortcomings starting with boxing out and defending stronger guys.

When you have a 7'3 with a silky jumper I want to see him getting those off and an offense that sees tons of catch and shoot for him.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/5/2017  11:48 AM
this morning/weekend the Post pointed out that the new management has yet to include Kuz in any language about the team's young core
that is quite concerning to me, because he a poor man's Gallo, yet Kuz has a significantly better contract
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
USA
9/5/2017  12:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:this morning/weekend the Post pointed out that the new management has yet to include Kuz in any language about the team's young core
that is quite concerning to me, because he a poor man's Gallo, yet Kuz has a significantly better contract
its a 1 year deal though... Kuz is in his final year. You think they bring him back? Knicks do have some early bird rights so I believe they can match.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/5/2017  1:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:this morning/weekend the Post pointed out that the new management has yet to include Kuz in any language about the team's young core
its a 1 year deal though... Kuz is in his final year. You think they bring him back? Knicks do have some early bird rights so I believe they can match.

Hoopshype states that he has 2 more years on his contract.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/5/2017  1:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/5/2017  1:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

The bold... I bet he can do that now. The tough part is the first one... getting position. Thats a lot of pushing and shoving and energy spent to get position to get that shot off. The shot itself is the easy part.

KP is slight and I suspect he always will be. Post is more about a strength advantage (position) than just skill. Im not sure a ton of touches in the post is in KP's future or in his best interest. Finding ways to get him easy shots in the midrange, especially with Willy in the post seems most logical to me.

Diversity is good. Elite skills are better. KP has a fantastic jumper. Its easily his best weapon as its his easiest shot to get off.

During that season 65% of Dirk's shots were from the midrange (10ft - 3pt) where he shot 50%. When you have that kind of jumper its easy offense.

Obviously comparing KP to an MVP has its pitfalls, but there are similarities. Also Im not saying KP should avoid the post. As I said diversity is good and he needs to take advantages of mismatches. How he takes advantage of them is key.

What I like about easy offense for KP is it allows him to expend more energy on defense where he's got some clear shortcomings starting with boxing out and defending stronger guys.

When you have a 7'3 with a silky jumper I want to see him getting those off and an offense that sees tons of catch and shoot for him.

I agree, probably no one is going to confuse KP with Mark Eaton, lol.

When I played streetball in NY, I often went up against guys who looked a lot bigger than I was, more muscles, but they rarely could push me out of the blocks because of my weight. I weighed 240, but I looked and moved like I weighed around 190-200 lbs.

My point is that KP putting on more weight as he gets older will also help him in the paint. Obviously a player can take that too far, but a combination of some weight gain and better conditioning, should help.

Its also about footwork, and KP has that down better than most guys his size. Just need time to put it all together.

Also agree that KP shouldnt spend most of his time in the paint, but there will be times when his shot isnt falling, or he's just needed in the paint. Just want to see KP be able to change gears, and alternate between an effective inside and outside game at will. He does that and Porzingis has a good chance of developing into a superstar.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/5/2017  2:23 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

let's assume that Kuz is a free agent - I would bring Kuz back. He was a major contributor in the Olympics. He is a major EuroBasket contributor. We have some issues as a result of Phil Jackson, but he always identified talent. Maybe he shouldn't have given them as much money, maybe he should have held onto others... but identifying talent was never an issue. I hope our Princeton lunch club recognizes that. Kuz can ball

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
USA
9/5/2017  2:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

I agree, probably no one is going to confuse KP with Mark Eaton, lol.

When I played streetball in NY, I often went up against guys who looked a lot bigger than I was, more muscles, but they rarely could push me out of the blocks because of my weight. I weighed 240, but I looked and moved like I weighed around 190-200 lbs.

My point is that KP putting on more weight as he gets older will also help him in the paint. Obviously a player can take that too far, but a combination of some weight gain and better conditioning, should help.

Its also about footwork, and KP has that down better than most guys his size. Just need time to put it all together.

Also agree that KP shouldnt spend most of his time in the paint, but there will be times when his shot isnt falling, or he's just needed in the paint. Just want to see KP be able to change gears, and alternate between an effective inside and outside game at will. He does that and Porzingis has a good chance of developing into a superstar.

agree 100% with all of it
fishmike
USA
9/5/2017  2:32 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

they get it wrong quite often.... its def a 2 year though. Google it... every source including NBA.com says it was a 2 year deal.
fishmike
USA
9/5/2017  2:33 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:

let's assume that Kuz is a free agent - I would bring Kuz back. He was a major contributor in the Olympics. He is a major EuroBasket contributor. We have some issues as a result of Phil Jackson, but he always identified talent. Maybe he shouldn't have given them as much money, maybe he should have held onto others... but identifying talent was never an issue. I hope our Princeton lunch club recognizes that. Kuz can ball

for what price and what role? I am not against it, although I am not as high on him as you are. I thought he looked like a nice role player, not a guy I thought was core material.
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/5/2017  9:32 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

I posted the article months ago about how serious his fatigue issue was when he first started playing. Thats one of the reason he came of the bench, he couldn't last 5 minutes without being totally exhausted. I can't remember what the condition was called, but they worked on it and he's gotten stronger.

He needs multiple stars around him for him to really shine, saddling him with the weight of a team is assine, and as much as I despise phils triangle, he has said that on numerous occasions.

Martin is right, let him be him, he wants to play like a guard or sf, he feels comfortable that way. Let him master his own skill set, then learn some new sht down the line.

ES
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

9/6/2017  9:05 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

I posted the article months ago about how serious his fatigue issue was when he first started playing. Thats one of the reason he came of the bench, he couldn't last 5 minutes without being totally exhausted. I can't remember what the condition was called, but they worked on it and he's gotten stronger.

He needs multiple stars around him for him to really shine, saddling him with the weight of a team is assine, and as much as I despise phils triangle, he has said that on numerous occasions.

Martin is right, let him be him, he wants to play like a guard or sf, he feels comfortable that way. Let him master his own skill set, then learn some new sht down the line.

Good points. Foul trouble is more concerning, short term, but he will learn that its better to stay on the court and to stay away from silly fouls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.netsdaily.com/platform/amp/2017/9/5/16254914/in-battle-of-new-york-bigs-mozgov-muscles-porzingis-but-latvia-wins

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/6/2017  9:51 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:

Good points. Foul trouble is more concerning, short term, but he will learn that its better to stay on the court and to stay away from silly fouls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.netsdaily.com/platform/amp/2017/9/5/16254914/in-battle-of-new-york-bigs-mozgov-muscles-porzingis-but-latvia-wins

He is just not a smart defender, and when the game is on the line, he will be on the bench in foul trouble. It's not just bigs either, it's guards, sf, bench players. A 7 3" guy always jumping to block shots. Who is teaching this kid how to defend.... DIrK?

ES
EuroBasket 2017 - KP, Willy and Kuuz

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy