[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I might be in minority but I like Willy g
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Posts: 49442
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
8/6/2017  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/6/2017  2:53 PM
More than KP. I just feel he will be an efficient sturdy player who can be our version of Jokic. I still think KP will be a good player who is trapped skill- wise and probably physically between positions

I could see us at times playing 4 guards and Willy in the middle playing at a good pace in a 4-1 set

AUTOADVERT
KP4Life
Posts: 20114
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/16/2015
Member: #6117
USA
8/6/2017  2:52 PM
kp has way higher upside imo, although I see what your saying briggs.. Imagine if willy can become our second option in a few years

Stuff like this is why we HAVE to keep Gaines. pay him whatever he wants. Dude is an amazing scout. If Dotson ends up becoming a steal I'll cry lol

LivingLegend
Posts: 21516
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2007
Member: #1645

8/6/2017  2:56 PM
LOL....might be in the minority?

This post and your "we should trade Kuz for TJ Warren" post really expose you Briggs.

LivingLegend
Posts: 21516
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2007
Member: #1645

8/6/2017  3:01 PM
I'd also be careful going over board on Gaines.

He is best positioned to find triangle fit players...I would give our Euro scout more credit than Gaines in terms of KP/Willy and outside of that do we have any great young players in this roster?

Will not surprise me to see Gaines let go short term but we will see.

BRIGGS
Posts: 49442
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
8/6/2017  3:08 PM
LivingLegend wrote:LOL....might be in the minority?

This post and your "we should trade Kuz for TJ Warren" post really expose you Briggs.

I think Gaines was responsible for Willy G. No hit on Kp-- I like Kp-- but I think teams can Marcus Smart him a bit. His legs are so long it will allow smart strong defenders an area to get into him I see willy g maxing out around 260 and just being physically tough to stop with his footwork and the fact that he's ambidextrous

KP4Life
Posts: 20114
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/16/2015
Member: #6117
USA
8/6/2017  3:23 PM
KP will never be a strong player. It's not his body type. But that doesn't mean he can't become a beast of a player. His peak is probably KG, but not as athletic. KG was never a super strong player but he got stronger as he got older. Willies peak is probably marc gasol imo. The type of big that shows the post game is not dead in the modern nba.
Knickoftime
Posts: 23204
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2011
Member: #3370

8/6/2017  3:29 PM
Briggs, if you wanted to post another thread about how you're disappointed in Porzingis, just do that. Don't come up with a flimsy premise to disguise that was your intention (whether you realize it or not).
Nalod
Posts: 54072
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
8/6/2017  4:22 PM
Find articles about Gaines and how he evaluates players. It's not a triangle thing. It's basketball.
As for Briggs being a minority voting for Trump in Connecticut, well that's another story!!

Ok, did KP not show anything in the Africa game today? Was Willy more awesomer? Synapse complete, start new thread???
You worried About Marcus Smart? I guess when Nate Robinson blocked Yao Ming we should have realized Ming was not tall enough?
Yes, KP will get muscled out. But he will also shoot over smaller guys, and he is too quick for most 7 footers!

Anger sells, don't buy!
smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
8/6/2017  4:35 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:LOL....might be in the minority?

This post and your "we should trade Kuz for TJ Warren" post really expose you Briggs.

I think Gaines was responsible for Willy G. No hit on Kp-- I like Kp-- but I think teams can Marcus Smart him a bit. His legs are so long it will allow smart strong defenders an area to get into him I see willy g maxing out around 260 and just being physically tough to stop with his footwork and the fact that he's ambidextrous

Willy G was Mills pick- he saw him while scouting KP, it's been documented and written about.

Vmart
Posts: 30350
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 5/23/2002
Member: #247
USA
8/6/2017  4:40 PM
I like Willie he is a very willing passer. I feel his passing for a big man is very good. Possibly some Noah effect.
Jmpasq
Posts: 22786
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

8/6/2017  5:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:More than KP. I just feel he will be an efficient sturdy player who can be our version of Jokic. I still think KP will be a good player who is trapped skill- wise and probably physically between positions

I could see us at times playing 4 guards and Willy in the middle playing at a good pace in a 4-1 set

Willy is a better 4 and 1 fit at the moment.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TheGame
Posts: 25152
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/15/2006
Member: #1154
USA
8/6/2017  11:01 PM
Willy has to improve on defense and show a consistent jumper before I would even consider him a starting center let alone better than KP. Now agree that Willy has potential but he was not better than KP last year and has a ways to go before being annoited our best player. KP has looked awesome this summer. I think he is going to have a great season. Hopefully Willy will too.
Playoffs or bust
mendoza1906
Posts: 20031
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/13/2017
Member: #6464

8/7/2017  4:06 AM
you're not a minority at all my g.
Gudris
Posts: 20580
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/12/2015
Member: #6213

8/7/2017  4:14 AM
mendoza1906 wrote:you're not a minority at all my g.

Yes he is, and i think he likes it :)

Paris907
Posts: 20762
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/4/2015
Member: #6099
USA
8/7/2017  4:58 AM
Wily is gonna be the real deal. I'm in minority but I see him border All Star in 3 years. Super rebounder and scoring 18-19ppg. Defensively sound as well. Poor mans Mark Gasol.
nyknickzingis
Posts: 22705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/8/2015
Member: #6207

8/7/2017  6:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/7/2017  6:57 AM
I think a few years from now Knick fans will be having a completely different opinion on Phil Jackson for having in his time drafted Kristaps, Willy and Frank.

The three of them are all very uncommon players in the NBA.
You don't have players like them in the league, much, if at all.

Post up high skill C (dying breed) in Willy.
Unicorn 7'3 shooting guard F/C in KP.
7 foot wingspan defensive first PG in Frank.

If they peak together in 2 or 3 years from now, Phil will look back as a genius for listening to Gaines.

Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
8/7/2017  7:15 AM
Paris907 wrote:Wily is gonna be the real deal. I'm in minority but I see him border All Star in 3 years. Super rebounder and scoring 18-19ppg. Defensively sound as well. Poor mans Mark Gasol.

He definitely has that potential. I'm with Briggs in the sense that I think right now Willy has a more positive impact on the game. KP is still an important player with a positive impact but Willy's already very good at what he specializes at and doesn't shoot some of the bad shots KP does. If Willy was on another team, I wouldn't trade KP to get him though.
But Willy is a legit all NBA Rookie team, which makes him like a top 5 lottery pick or at least playing at the level of a top 5 player from the draft. There's nothing wrong with having a more favorable view right now him than KP. He's earned it.
StarksEwing1
Posts: 29894
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

8/7/2017  7:37 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:I think a few years from now Knick fans will be having a completely different opinion on Phil Jackson for having in his time drafted Kristaps, Willy and Frank.

The three of them are all very uncommon players in the NBA.
You don't have players like them in the league, much, if at all.

Post up high skill C (dying breed) in Willy.
Unicorn 7'3 shooting guard F/C in KP.
7 foot wingspan defensive first PG in Frank.

If they peak together in 2 or 3 years from now, Phil will look back as a genius for listening to Gaines.

agreed. Look im not a phil fan(ive mentioned his mistakes many times but his drafting and his focus on keeping picks will definetly help us in the near future
nyknickzingis
Posts: 22705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/8/2015
Member: #6207

8/7/2017  7:45 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:I think a few years from now Knick fans will be having a completely different opinion on Phil Jackson for having in his time drafted Kristaps, Willy and Frank.

The three of them are all very uncommon players in the NBA.
You don't have players like them in the league, much, if at all.

Post up high skill C (dying breed) in Willy.
Unicorn 7'3 shooting guard F/C in KP.
7 foot wingspan defensive first PG in Frank.

If they peak together in 2 or 3 years from now, Phil will look back as a genius for listening to Gaines.

agreed. Look im not a phil fan(ive mentioned his mistakes many times but his drafting and his focus on keeping picks will definetly help us in the near future

He made some short term moves that stunk.
He really messed up with how he went about trading Melo (or get him on the trade block).

But I love that he valued the draft picks and he made picks out of the popular names.
I'm still more than happy that we took a chance on Frank than DSJ. As good as DSJ will be in the immediate future, longterm a skill like Frank has, if it develops at the NBA level, it will be great. Not many point guards that play great defense in the league anymore. Frank can move around from 1, 2, 3. He can be like Marcus Smart on D, only with a better jumpshot and smarter IQ. I think that kind of player has immense value in the playoffs.

Nalod
Posts: 54072
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
8/7/2017  8:00 AM
"Triangle Type" not such a bad thing. Drafting High IQ players with different instincts than hold ball and shoot is not terrible.
Phil for all his quirks turned the franchise around. He stopped the ignorant short sighted acquisition method and went about drafting despite having just one pick in his first three years. Perhaps another executive could have done similar. But that is not how the story went.
As for Willy and his off season rise in expectations I personally like the kid but better than KP is a bit a stretch for me. But know where I'm coming from which is "KP is A GOD" which is unreasonable but speaks to my high expectation which I dont have for Willy.
That's not a bad thing mind you, its just that KP blows me away with his instincts. The kid does things you just don't see much . The crazy block shot and he catches the ball behind his back to keep it in play, or the tip basket this weekend in Africa. Kid has an uncanny instinct to play basketball. This is why there is no ceiling for him. Not to say he reach this expectation but don't tell me because he will get outmuscled in the paint he cannot be a great player! Jabbar was never a power player and he was a top 3 player in the history of the game at his position.
Anger sells, don't buy!
I might be in minority but I like Willy g

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.