[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Something Boxing fans might want to DVR
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/4/2017  7:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2017  7:16 PM
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20121688/vasyl-lomachenko-my-goal-the-best-fighter-world

I know Arum's job is promoting, but for someone with Arum's experience to say that so soon about a fighter is intriguing. Teddy Atlas too, the man knows his stuff. Its on ESPN Saturday at 7pm. 10pm Eastern Time. Best part, no PPV.

After only nine professional fights, Lomachenko is already a two-weight world titleholder and No. 3 in the latest ESPN pound-for-pound rankings.

Some argue -- ESPN boxing analyst Teddy Atlas among them -- that the California-based Ukrainian should be top of the pile, ahead of the likes of unified light heavyweight titlist Andre Ward (No. 1) and unified middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin (No. 2).

But what is beyond doubt are the 29-year-old's astonishing skills. The speed at which Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) throws punches, that find their target unerringly as laser beams, has earned him comparisons to "The Matrix," the science fiction film featuring Keanu Reeves.

This is the best fighter I've seen since Muhammad Ali," said Lomachenko's promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank, who also promotes Pacquiao.

"Lomachenko has a skill set like I have never seen in the 50 years that I have been promoting boxing."

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/4/2017  8:35 PM
GustavBahler wrote:http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20121688/vasyl-lomachenko-my-goal-the-best-fighter-world

I know Arum's job is promoting, but for someone with Arum's experience to say that so soon about a fighter is intriguing. Teddy Atlas too, the man knows his stuff. Its on ESPN Saturday at 7pm. 10pm Eastern Time. Best part, no PPV.

After only nine professional fights, Lomachenko is already a two-weight world titleholder and No. 3 in the latest ESPN pound-for-pound rankings.

Some argue -- ESPN boxing analyst Teddy Atlas among them -- that the California-based Ukrainian should be top of the pile, ahead of the likes of unified light heavyweight titlist Andre Ward (No. 1) and unified middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin (No. 2).

But what is beyond doubt are the 29-year-old's astonishing skills. The speed at which Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) throws punches, that find their target unerringly as laser beams, has earned him comparisons to "The Matrix," the science fiction film featuring Keanu Reeves.

This is the best fighter I've seen since Muhammad Ali," said Lomachenko's promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank, who also promotes Pacquiao.

"Lomachenko has a skill set like I have never seen in the 50 years that I have been promoting boxing."

Lomachenko is the goods. He is a pleasure to watch.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

8/4/2017  9:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2017  9:49 PM
GustavBahler wrote:http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20121688/vasyl-lomachenko-my-goal-the-best-fighter-world

Was watching some highlights, the last Boxer I watched with that kind of hand speed was Kostya Tszyu. But he couldnt land his combinations from those crazy angles like Lomachenko can, and not nearly as often. Would be great for boxing if he can keep this up.

newyorknewyork
8/4/2017  10:04 PM
He has had a long dominating amateur career. Which is why he is able to perform at such a high level so early as a pro. But he is also 29 yrs old so while his pro career is young he is in his prime as a boxer. Which is why he is able to accomplish so much in only 9 fights.

The fight that has been brewing for a while has been Lomachenko vs the Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux. There has been a lot of back and forth chatter between the 2 but nothing has materialized. Rigondeaux is a very skilled defensive counter puncher but he is smaller then Lomachenko who I would favor in the match up.

Another boxer to keep your eye on is Terrance Crawford at 140. Thinking about it a Lomachenko vs Crawford fight would be amazing. Though Crawford would have the edge due to the size and skill. But would be what legends are made of for Vasyl. Arum wouldn't do it though even though he promotes both. Crawford could beat Pacquiao at this point in their careers. I don't see Crawford being challenged at Jr Welterweight and may have to move up for big ppv fights.

GustavBahler

8/4/2017  10:07 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:He has had a long dominating amateur career. Which is why he is able to perform at such a high level so early as a pro. But he is also 29 yrs old so while his pro career is young he is in his prime as a boxer. Which is why he is able to accomplish so much in only 9 fights.

The fight that has been brewing for a while has been Lomachenko vs the Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux. There has been a lot of back and forth chatter between the 2 but nothing has materialized. Rigondeaux is a very skilled defensive counter puncher but he is smaller then Lomachenko who I would favor in the match up.

Another boxer to keep your eye on is Terrance Crawford at 140. Thinking about it a Lomachenko vs Crawford fight would be amazing. Though Crawford would have the edge due to the size and skill. But would be what legends are made of for Vasyl. Arum wouldn't do it though even though he promotes both. Crawford could beat Pacquiao at this point in their careers. I don't see Crawford being challenged at Jr Welterweight and may have to move up for big ppv fights.

I'll keep an eye on them, thanks for the tip. Looking forward to watching Lomachenko on live TV.

newyorknewyork
8/4/2017  10:16 PM
Who do you have in the Canelo vs GGG fight? I'm rooting for Canelo but GGG has the edge.
GustavBahler

8/4/2017  11:24 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Who do you have in the Canelo vs GGG fight? I'm rooting for Canelo but GGG has the edge.

Ditto GGG

GustavBahler

8/6/2017  8:56 AM
Lomachenko won by TKO. Entertaining fight, but it didn't look like he was ever in any real trouble. Amazing footwork. Looking forward to watching Lomachenko face a real challenge.
reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

8/6/2017  10:09 AM
Lomachenko was in the guy's face the whole fight. The other guy is going to have nightmares about him.
Welpee
Member: #6239

8/6/2017  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/6/2017  10:34 AM
He gotta a long way to go to even sniff Ali. Arum with his usual hyperbole and espn trying to manufacture a box office attraction.
GustavBahler

8/6/2017  12:25 PM
Welpee wrote:He gotta a long way to go to even sniff Ali. Arum with his usual hyperbole and espn trying to manufacture a box office attraction.

Sniff indeed.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
8/6/2017  12:36 PM
Gusta, thanks for the tip. Entertaining fight
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
GustavBahler

8/6/2017  1:15 PM
BigRedDog wrote:Gusta, thanks for the tip. Entertaining fight

No problem, was a fun fight. Almost cartoon like, lol.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

8/6/2017  3:38 PM
Wow...Fellow Boxing fans! We are certainly a dying breed. Lomachenko is definitely the goods. I took notice of him when he beat Gary Russell. Russell is lightning fast himeself and is a rising pound for pound fighter, and Lamenchenko didn't have much problems with him. Lamenchenko and Crawford would be a great fight!!!

BTW, I'm rooting for GGG, but he is showing some wear n tear of late. He almost lost to Jacobs...probably should have lost. Canelo is younger, hungry and maybe stronger...I think a really skilled boxer will be Canelo (see Floyd) not sure he you can walk Canelo down. looking forward to it.

Welpee
Member: #6239

8/6/2017  5:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/6/2017  5:06 PM
Uptown wrote:Wow...Fellow Boxing fans! We are certainly a dying breed. Lomachenko is definitely the goods. I took notice of him when he beat Gary Russell. Russell is lightning fast himeself and is a rising pound for pound fighter, and Lamenchenko didn't have much problems with him. Lamenchenko and Crawford would be a great fight!!!

BTW, I'm rooting for GGG, but he is showing some wear n tear of late. He almost lost to Jacobs...probably should have lost. Canelo is younger, hungry and maybe stronger...I think a really skilled boxer will be Canelo (see Floyd) not sure he you can walk Canelo down. looking forward to it.

I've already died as a boxing fan. This thread was the only reason watched this match because of the "best since Ali" quote. Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather killed the sport for me. I totally get boxers wanting to maximize their money and minimize their risk, but between them and the Klitschkos they ruined the sport for me.
newyorknewyork
8/6/2017  5:46 PM
Welpee wrote:
Uptown wrote:Wow...Fellow Boxing fans! We are certainly a dying breed. Lomachenko is definitely the goods. I took notice of him when he beat Gary Russell. Russell is lightning fast himeself and is a rising pound for pound fighter, and Lamenchenko didn't have much problems with him. Lamenchenko and Crawford would be a great fight!!!

I've already died as a boxing fan. This thread was the only reason watched this match because of the "best since Ali" quote. Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather killed the sport for me. I totally get boxers wanting to maximize their money and minimize their risk, but between them and the Klitschkos they ruined the sport for me.

This has been one of the best years in boxing that I have seen. The amount of quality fights that have been made. And Boxing linking back up with public networks like CBS and ESPN. Boxing for the most part has come through for its fans this yr.

Anthony Joshua just took the crown from Klitchko at Heavyweight and is on a collision course with Wilder. For a big time heavy weight match up that we have not seen in years. Though that may not happen until next year.

Erroll Spence is set to rule the WW division and is on a collision course with also undefeated Keith Thurman.

Terrance Crawford is set to rule Jr WW division though he may not have any comp until he decides to move up to WW divsion and face off with Spence or Thurman.

Canleo vs GGG the biggest fight in boxing at the moment coming up next month. Then they have the Charlo bros waiting for the winner of that one.

Mickey Garcia just beat Adrian Broner at 140 to step into Terrance Crawford's weight division.
Lomochencko could eventually find himself there as well since he won't be challenged by anyone in his weight.
Andre Ward defeated Kovelov and could have another big time matchup with Adonis Stevenson next
And at Cruiser weight they set up a super 6 tournament to establish who is the best amoung multiple up and coming undefeated boxers. And the winner of Ward vs Stevenson if they fight could find themselves facing the winner of that tournament.

wargames
Member: #6053

8/6/2017  6:32 PM
Crawford, Garcia, and Lomen in the same weight class could get real interesting. Also I hope that eventual spence vs. Thurman fight happens in NYC
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
newyorknewyork
8/22/2017  6:01 PM
GustavBahler, you get a chance to check out Crawford on Sat?

This was to unify ALL the belts at Jr WW. Crawford is now the WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF, RING, & Lineal champ at 140. Hasn't been done since Bernard Hopkins.

GustavBahler

8/22/2017  6:57 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:GustavBahler, you get a chance to check out Crawford on Sat?

This was to unify ALL the belts at Jr WW. Crawford is now the WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF, RING, & Lineal champ at 140. Hasn't been done since Bernard Hopkins.

Gustav is fine, lol. Damn, I didnt, but thanks for the tip. Have to catch the next bout.

newyorknewyork
9/15/2017  5:37 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:He has had a long dominating amateur career. Which is why he is able to perform at such a high level so early as a pro. But he is also 29 yrs old so while his pro career is young he is in his prime as a boxer. Which is why he is able to accomplish so much in only 9 fights.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/9/15/16316606/lomachenko-rigondeaux-set-for-december-9

It's on! Guillermo Rigondeaux will be moving up in weight to take on Vasyl Lomachenko in a December 9th fight at Madison Square Garden which will be aired on ESPN. Top Rank made an official announcement on their Twitter account today.

OT: Something Boxing fans might want to DVR

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy