[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The Yankees Are Back!
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/14/2017  12:34 PM
I'm ready to trade chapman... so many people criticize the Yankees for handing him a boat load of money stating he would only live up to that money for one season, and in all reality, he has look very suspect and unreliable. I could not believe he gave a homer to a rookie...IT MAKES YOU APPRECIATE MARIANO EVEN MORE
ES
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/14/2017  1:02 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I'm ready to trade chapman... so many people criticize the Yankees for handing him a boat load of money stating he would only live up to that money for one season, and in all reality, he has look very suspect and unreliable. I could not believe he gave a homer to a rookie...IT MAKES YOU APPRECIATE MARIANO EVEN MORE

Yeah, and I don't think a closer is worth that kind of money anyway. We supposedly have the best bullpen in baseball. That's nice I guess but if you gave me a choice of the best starting pitching, best offense, or best bullpen, I'd pick best starting pitching. Then best offense. Then best bullpen. I'm not sure it's smart to spend so much money and give up prospects to build up the bullpen.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/14/2017  1:02 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I'm ready to trade chapman... so many people criticize the Yankees for handing him a boat load of money stating he would only live up to that money for one season, and in all reality, he has look very suspect and unreliable. I could not believe he gave a homer to a rookie...IT MAKES YOU APPRECIATE MARIANO EVEN MORE

Your ready to trade him? Of course you are. YOur a short term emotional fan whose ease of words would be a disaster in real life.
and, your right he is not Mariano. Why did you not fully appreciate him then? The man defined an era.

Bonn1997
USA
8/14/2017  1:06 PM
Nalod wrote:

Your ready to trade him? Of course you are. YOur a short term emotional fan whose ease of words would be a disaster in real life.
and, your right he is not Mariano. Why did you not fully appreciate him then? The man defined an era.

His year has been a bit disappointing but I definitely wouldn't want to sell low. He's still throwing very well. The strikeout total is great and he's only allowed 1 HR (granted a bad one) in 33.2 innings. The walks are a little high but he's throwing well and had some bad luck in terms of the percentage of balls in play falling for hits. If he does everything the same, it's almost inevitable that the ERA will drop.
knicks1248
8/14/2017  2:56 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

His year has been a bit disappointing but I definitely wouldn't want to sell low. He's still throwing very well. The strikeout total is great and he's only allowed 1 HR (granted a bad one) in 33.2 innings. The walks are a little high but he's throwing well and had some bad luck in terms of the percentage of balls in play falling for hits. If he does everything the same, it's almost inevitable that the ERA will drop.

a flame thrower with just one effective pitch, no ones perfect, but, I think boston has got his number. some how, if we end up in the playoffs and have to face BOSTON, he would not be by closer.

ES
Bonn1997
USA
8/15/2017  8:23 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

a flame thrower with just one effective pitch, no ones perfect, but, I think boston has got his number. some how, if we end up in the playoffs and have to face BOSTON, he would not be by closer.

He has struggled against Boston this year. That's not OK but your scenario (us playing Boston in the playoffs) is extremely unlikely. It would mean we won the wild card game and beat Houston in a 7 game series and Boston won their first round series (or Boston won the wild card and Houston matchups if we win the division).
knicks1248
8/16/2017  4:51 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

a flame thrower with just one effective pitch, no ones perfect, but, I think boston has got his number. some how, if we end up in the playoffs and have to face BOSTON, he would not be my closer.

He has struggled against Boston this year. That's not OK but your scenario (us playing Boston in the playoffs) is extremely unlikely. It would mean we won the wild card game and beat Houston in a 7 game series and Boston won their first round series (or Boston won the wild card and Houston matchups if we win the division).

so he gave up another home run yesterday to the lowly metS, fortunately we had a 2 run lead, but this becoming alarming..

ES
Bonn1997
USA
8/16/2017  5:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/16/2017  5:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

a flame thrower with just one effective pitch, no ones perfect, but, I think boston has got his number. some how, if we end up in the playoffs and have to face BOSTON, he would not be my closer.

so he gave up another home run yesterday to the lowly metS, fortunately we had a 2 run lead, but this becoming alarming..

Are there any HOF pitchers who never gave up a HR? Never in consecutive outings? I get it that you're upset with Chapman and you don't like his contract. I don't like it either. But that doesn't justify selling low or judging him off a small sample. Fangraphs keeps track of the Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP). It's meant to be the ERA except it attempts to adjust for the luck the hitters are having and the quality of your team's fielding. It has his FIP at 2.70 even though his ERA is 3.89. Typically ERA bounces all over the place but eventually gets close to the FIP. Now is the worst time to try to trade Chapman. All he has to do is throw the same next year and have average luck and he'll have much better numbers. Trading him now would be selling as low as trading Melo now (except the Knicks have to - the Yankees don't).
knicks1248
8/19/2017  6:17 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Are there any HOF pitchers who never gave up a HR? Never in consecutive outings? I get it that you're upset with Chapman and you don't like his contract. I don't like it either. But that doesn't justify selling low or judging him off a small sample. Fangraphs keeps track of the Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP). It's meant to be the ERA except it attempts to adjust for the luck the hitters are having and the quality of your team's fielding. It has his FIP at 2.70 even though his ERA is 3.89. Typically ERA bounces all over the place but eventually gets close to the FIP. Now is the worst time to try to trade Chapman. All he has to do is throw the same next year and have average luck and he'll have much better numbers. Trading him now would be selling as low as trading Melo now (except the Knicks have to - the Yankees don't).

I never thought chapman was that guy to begin with, he struggles in important games, even strugglesd in the world series, even though i thought the cubs over used him.

The struggle is real with him, so much that the yankees announce today that he's no longer a closer

ES
Bonn1997
USA
8/19/2017  8:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/19/2017  8:11 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I never thought chapman was that guy to begin with, he struggles in important games, even strugglesd in the world series, even though i thought the cubs over used him.

The struggle is real with him, so much that the yankees announce today that he's no longer a closer

I think it's a great decision. The idea of a dedicated closer is beginning to get outdated (finally). You need a relief ace that you use in high leverage situations.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/19/2017  9:27 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:I think it's a great decision. The idea of a dedicated closer is beginning to get outdated (finally). You need a relief ace that you use in high leverage situations.

Bonn has a good point. Chris Devenski of the Astros is one of the best bargains in all of baseball. He can spot start. He can pitch in high leverage situations. He has a high K/9 ratio. He can fill in for the closer at times. He's making peanuts. He's going to vulture you some wins as well. He's the generic brand version of Betances and Andrew Miller.

Matt Barnes
Jacob Barnes
Arodys Vizcaino
David Phelps
Ryan Madson
Adam Ottavino ( struggling now, but usually solid)
Mychel Givens
Brad Hand

IMHO, the Yankees ought to take a look at this trend more deeply. Guys who simply did not develop as starters but the skill set made them a high leverage reliever.

Shane Greene and Bud Norris were essentially fringe/failed starters but were useful bullpen pieces this year. Jorge De La Rosa, Matt Bowman, CJ Edwards.

The guy I wanted the Yankees to really look hard at was Andrew Cashner as a reliever, but starting depth is so bad around MLB, he was going to get a starting opportunity. There are bargains out there, I think the Yankees would do well to search for guys who failed as starters but might blossom as relievers ( I think the Cubs grabbed Eddie Butler for this very reason)

Chapman has been too good for too long, and his velocity is too elite to just give up now on him.

The guy I'm really watching is Giovanny Gallegos, he's not going to help this year, but he seems like he has the make up and stuff to be a high leverage reliever soon.

Chapman striking out three dudes in the 7th inning and pitching more, might not be so horrible. Although the idea of David Robertson coming back to close, is a bit bizarre.

I still think the Yanks gave up too much too soon to make a push this year. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

Bonn1997
USA
8/20/2017  7:26 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I think it's a great decision. The idea of a dedicated closer is beginning to get outdated (finally). You need a relief ace that you use in high leverage situations.

Bonn has a good point. Chris Devenski of the Astros is one of the best bargains in all of baseball. He can spot start. He can pitch in high leverage situations. He has a high K/9 ratio. He can fill in for the closer at times. He's making peanuts. He's going to vulture you some wins as well. He's the generic brand version of Betances and Andrew Miller.

Matt Barnes
Jacob Barnes
Arodys Vizcaino
David Phelps
Ryan Madson
Adam Ottavino ( struggling now, but usually solid)
Mychel Givens
Brad Hand

IMHO, the Yankees ought to take a look at this trend more deeply. Guys who simply did not develop as starters but the skill set made them a high leverage reliever.

Shane Greene and Bud Norris were essentially fringe/failed starters but were useful bullpen pieces this year. Jorge De La Rosa, Matt Bowman, CJ Edwards.

The guy I wanted the Yankees to really look hard at was Andrew Cashner as a reliever, but starting depth is so bad around MLB, he was going to get a starting opportunity. There are bargains out there, I think the Yankees would do well to search for guys who failed as starters but might blossom as relievers ( I think the Cubs grabbed Eddie Butler for this very reason)

Chapman has been too good for too long, and his velocity is too elite to just give up now on him.

The guy I'm really watching is Giovanny Gallegos, he's not going to help this year, but he seems like he has the make up and stuff to be a high leverage reliever soon.

Chapman striking out three dudes in the 7th inning and pitching more, might not be so horrible. Although the idea of David Robertson coming back to close, is a bit bizarre.

I still think the Yanks gave up too much too soon to make a push this year. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not sure how much you've looked into baseball's sabermetrics but there's a heavy movement towards judging pitchers mostly by BB, HR, and SO because those are the three things they have the most control over. You may already know what I'm writing but I'll put it anyway in case you don't or anyone else is interested. Chapman's HR and SO totals are still excellent despite the 2 recent HRS. The fact that he's had 2 recent ones is slightly concerning and his walk total is relatively high, although it's nowhere near the problems Betances was having earlier. From the BB, HR, and SO total, a fielding independent (FIP) ERA is calculated and can be found on fangraphs website. This is meant to indicate how well he's pitching independent of the quality of the fielding and luck of the hitters. Chapman's FIP is at 2.75 even though is actual ERA is at 4.29. He's throwing the ball way better than the in-game results (a lot of lucky hits/poor fielding) currently indicate.

The reason there's so much emphasis on BB, HR, and SO is that those in the metrics community will say a pitcher has little influence over whether or not a ball will fall in for a hit once it's put in play. (How little is debated but it's generally conceded to be small.) Over a very large sample of games, balls in play will fall for hits about 30% of the time regardless of the pitcher. Some pitchers over a very large sample may be able to get it a little below or above 30%, though. If it deviates much from 30% and that's a new thing for the pitcher, it's most likely just a temporary string of good or bad luck from hitters. However, in small samples (even a full season), you can have a significant deviation. Chapman's BABIP is at .349 right now and I suspect those hits have come at bad timing too (which is also just bad luck). His BABIP for the last 7 years has been .242, .252, .280, .290, .331, .268, and now .349. It's typical for these numbers to fluctuate and artificially inflate or deflate a pitcher's ERA each year.

On a side note, to throw a no hitter you have to have a tremendous amount of luck in addition to throwing the ball well. If you have 12 strikeouts, that means most likely that the other team went 0 for 15 on balls in play. (It could be different if there were walks/errors and then double plays, pick offs, caught stealings, etc. but it will probably be close to 0 for 15.) In a typical game 4 or 5 out of 15 balls in play will fall for hits but in one game there can be a huge deviation from that.

Back to Chapman: I don't care if he's not the designated closer. In situations where you just have to get 3 outs before giving up 2 or 3 runs, most relievers will do that most of the time anyway and it's a stretch to say you "saved" the game. I care much more about who is used in the highest leverage situations. Which reliever is called upon for tight situations in the 6th, 7th, or 8th innings and which one pitches in the 1 run saves is more important. And despite the fact that Chapman has thrown pretty well this season, he's not our best reliever by any metric right now anyway. I'm happy to keep him. Selling low is dumb. But I think it's great if we don't have a strict designated closer and instead are focusing on who pitches in the highest leverage situations.

Bonn1997
USA
9/5/2017  6:32 AM
Only 2 losses behind Boston!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/5/2017  5:48 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

WASHINGTON — For decades, spying on another team has been as much a part of the gamesmanship of baseball as brushback pitches and hard slides. The Red Sox have apparently added a modern — and illicit — twist: They used an Apple Watch to gain an advantage against the Yankees and other teams.

Investigators for Major League Baseball have determined that the Boston Red Sox, who are in first place in the American League East and likely headed to the playoffs, executed a scheme to illicitly steal hand signals from opponents’ catchers in games against the second-place Yankees and other teams, according to several people briefed on the matter.

The baseball inquiry began about two weeks ago, after the Yankees’ general manager, Brian Cashman, filed a detailed complaint with the commissioner’s office that included video the Yankees shot of the Red Sox dugout during a three-game series in Boston last month.

The Yankees, who had long been suspicious of the Red Sox stealing catchers’ signs in Fenway Park, contended the video showed a member of the Red Sox training staff looking at his Apple Watch in the dugout and then relaying a message to players, who may have then been able to use the information to know the type of pitch that was going to be thrown, according to the people familiar with the case.

knicks1248
9/5/2017  5:57 PM
THEY STILL LOSS 3 OUT OF 4 games to us, and we cut the division to 2.5 games..

I went to the game yesterday and it felt like a home game with the amount of Yankees fans on deck..it was more 50-50..

ES
Bonn1997
USA
9/6/2017  6:39 AM
knicks1248 wrote:THEY STILL LOSS 3 OUT OF 4 games to us, and we cut the division to 2.5 games..

The sign stealing issue was before this recent series.

Bonn1997
USA
9/6/2017  6:45 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Is the struggle real with Betances? He just fell to 3-6.
Betances and Chapman are both good but not great. Neither is pitching like an all-star even if Betances somehow made the game. We did get spoiled with Mariano all those years though.
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

9/6/2017  8:11 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Betances and Chapman are both good but not great. Neither is pitching like an all-star even if Betances somehow made the game. We did get spoiled with Mariano all those years though.

Thats what it is. We watched an inhuman closer for years and can't believe it when a reliever blows a few games in a month. That being said I never would of traded Andrew Miller, I think it was a huge mistake
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Bonn1997
USA
9/6/2017  8:18 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Thats what it is. We watched an inhuman closer for years and can't believe it when a reliever blows a few games in a month. That being said I never would of traded Andrew Miller, I think it was a huge mistake

Well that's partly it. The Yankees do have the 3rd most blown saves in baseball this year. I don't blame Cashman for that though. He put together a bullpen that should have been outstanding.
Bonn1997
USA
9/12/2017  9:38 AM
3 games back with 19 to go. Wow! Girardi's not messing around - he's not interested in giving his pitchers a chance to get through the 5th and get a win if it looks like they might be in trouble. The tying run wasn't even at the plate when he took CC out! He took Montgomery out in the 5th not too long ago too.
OT: The Yankees Are Back!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy