[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The Yankees Are Back!
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/1/2017  2:13 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension? OUr farm system was finally great and we deal away 3 of our top 10. I know two are recovering from injury and there are other players who will get a crack at playing SS and OF than Mateo... but I don't know, I don't necessarily think we got Gray at such a steep discount, as most are suggesting

curious what others - but specifically Bonn - think about that

Oh definitely there's some apprehension. It was a big gamble and I'm not sure if Gray is going to give up far more homers in the Bronx. I think the Yankees will always feel that if they have a chance to win the WS, they have to go for it. I agree with the move though. A chance to win a WS is a golden opportunity. One thing working in Gray's favor is that lefties don't hit that well against him. So they might not be able to take advantage of the short right field in YS.

Fish, where are you? You usually jump in on any Yankees discussions here? And JRod? Well, it's OK if you don't jump in. JK

I guess I asked because everyone seems overly optimistic... this board not necessarily included in "everyone". someone swung by my office yesterday to give me a high five about the trade. I know we didn't give up our ace prospects, but I do feel like gave up three face cards...

Again, I would have likely made the same deal but I am just trying to figure out why the euphoria. Do you think it just has to do with the sentiment captured in your thread title?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/1/2017  2:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2017  2:18 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension? OUr farm system was finally great and we deal away 3 of our top 10. I know two are recovering from injury and there are other players who will get a crack at playing SS and OF than Mateo... but I don't know, I don't necessarily think we got Gray at such a steep discount, as most are suggesting

curious what others - but specifically Bonn - think about that

Oh definitely there's some apprehension. It was a big gamble and I'm not sure if Gray is going to give up far more homers in the Bronx. I think the Yankees will always feel that if they have a chance to win the WS, they have to go for it. I agree with the move though. A chance to win a WS is a golden opportunity. One thing working in Gray's favor is that lefties don't hit that well against him. So they might not be able to take advantage of the short right field in YS.

Fish, where are you? You usually jump in on any Yankees discussions here? And JRod? Well, it's OK if you don't jump in. JK

I guess I asked because everyone seems overly optimistic... this board not necessarily included in "everyone". someone swung by my office yesterday to give me a high five about the trade. I know we didn't give up our ace prospects, but I do feel like gave up three face cards...

Again, I would have likely made the same deal but I am just trying to figure out why the euphoria. Do you think it just has to do with the sentiment captured in your thread title?

Probably. The team has had 4 straight very disappointing seasons by Yankees standards. That's like 4 centuries for a normal club! I read that one system (maybe Vegas?) changed the odds against us winning the world series from 10:1 to 7:1 after we got Gray. It's still a long shot for any specific team to win the world series but the team should be meaningfully better.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/1/2017  3:32 PM
It's very exciting. The starting pitching still has me a little concerned. We have some very good starters and Severino may be an ace but I still would love to have that starter where we feel like we'd have an edge in a one-game playoff. I don't know if we're quite there yet. But, pretty excited and a crazy bullpen we have.
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2017  3:54 PM
Solace wrote:It's very exciting. The starting pitching still has me a little concerned. We have some very good starters and Severino may be an ace but I still would love to have that starter where we feel like we'd have an edge in a one-game playoff. I don't know if we're quite there yet. But, pretty excited and a crazy bullpen we have.

Solace! You're still here?!
Yeah, I agree about the starting pitching. Severino's pitching like an ace now but he's pitched barely half a season. He's going to end up throwing WAY more innings this year than he ever has. So is Montgomery. Hopefully their arms hold up OK.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/1/2017  4:14 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension?

While it's not popular to say, I think the Yankees made a mistake here.

I think the best long term course would be to keep trading off veteran assets and stockpiling more youth and farm talent. Brett Gardner is having a fantastic year. Love him as a fan. But this is clearly an outlier career year and trading him would have been the better course. Tanaka and Sabathia too. Even Chapman and Betances.

The problem I see is that the Yankees have too many guys like Chase Headley. Veterans who are too good to bench, not good enough to drive and make a big impact, but contract status is complicated enough where no one wants to trade for them. This is why I think the Yankees pushed forward. Roll with it since no one wants the contract issues associated with many of their veterans.

I really LIKED Blake Rutherford. I think trading him for Frazier and Robertson was a bad deal. I like Dietrich Enns. I like Jorge Mateo.

I'm happy they did not give up Estevan Florial, who I think can end up a franchise core guy.

Teams get better by churning dudes like Pat Neshek. Or Jeremy Hellickson. Instead of churning prospects out, I think it would have been better to sign short term guys with good trade potential later.

I don't see anyone beating the Dodgers this year. Dodgers traded out Willie Calhoun for Darvish. Honestly, if the Yanks could have gotten Calhoun in a trade, dumping some veterans, then I think that would have been a great deal.

Mateo had legit 80 grade speed. That's rare. And speed scarcity is a big issue for most teams now.

Solace
USA
8/1/2017  5:05 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Solace wrote:It's very exciting. The starting pitching still has me a little concerned. We have some very good starters and Severino may be an ace but I still would love to have that starter where we feel like we'd have an edge in a one-game playoff. I don't know if we're quite there yet. But, pretty excited and a crazy bullpen we have.

Solace! You're still here?!
Yeah, I agree about the starting pitching. Severino's pitching like an ace now but he's pitched barely half a season. He's going to end up throwing WAY more innings this year than he ever has. So is Montgomery. Hopefully their arms hold up OK.

Yeah, I like Severino a lot, it's just figuring out if we have the final formula and I agree about the innings. I'm not worried about Montgomery this year, because he might be out of the rotation soon after the trades. In 1996 I knew we had a shot (geez, long time ago), when we could throw out there Pettitte, Key and Cone along with a dynamic lineup. Those three were all #1 or #2 guys. Hoping we get there with the combo of Severino, Gray and Tanaka.

As for the forums, I peek in from time to time to read the posts. I usually don't have much to add about the Knicks nowadays, I just don't feel so passionate about them. 16 years of mostly bad decisions and I'm tired of talking about them, but still have curiosity when they make moves. Every time they do something that seems solid, they make 2-5 questionable decisions that either contradict earlier good moves or are outright destined for failure. I temper any excitement because I know they're going to f it up later or someone will tear a ligament in pre-season or we'll trade the whole team for one player.

Solace
USA
8/1/2017  5:06 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension?

I think the best long term course would be to keep trading off veteran assets and stockpiling more youth and farm talent. Brett Gardner is having a fantastic year. Love him as a fan. But this is clearly an outlier career year and trading him would have been the better course. Tanaka and Sabathia too. Even Chapman and Betances.

The problem I see is that the Yankees have too many guys like Chase Headley. Veterans who are too good to bench, not good enough to drive and make a big impact, but contract status is complicated enough where no one wants to trade for them. This is why I think the Yankees pushed forward. Roll with it since no one wants the contract issues associated with many of their veterans.

I really LIKED Blake Rutherford. I think trading him for Frazier and Robertson was a bad deal. I like Dietrich Enns. I like Jorge Mateo.

I'm happy they did not give up Estevan Florial, who I think can end up a franchise core guy.

Teams get better by churning dudes like Pat Neshek. Or Jeremy Hellickson. Instead of churning prospects out, I think it would have been better to sign short term guys with good trade potential later.

I don't see anyone beating the Dodgers this year. Dodgers traded out Willie Calhoun for Darvish. Honestly, if the Yanks could have gotten Calhoun in a trade, dumping some veterans, then I think that would have been a great deal.

Mateo had legit 80 grade speed. That's rare. And speed scarcity is a big issue for most teams now.

I hear that, but the counter-argument is you can't protect players outside the 40 and we simply had too many good players to not trade them. We would've lost some of these guys for nothing because it would have been impossible to protect everyone.

y2zipper
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3287

8/1/2017  6:01 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Baseball is too random for the Yankees to decide they don't have a shot this year. The sport just doesn't work that way. The Yankees also have a logjam at every infield position except third base (Bird and Torres are probably going to play first and 2nd at some point) and are jammed in the outfield as well. They needed a starter and can't protect anybody, so the deal for Sonny Gray makes sense. It also gives them a chance to win this year and open a window so it makes sense for them to be aggresive here.

Sabathia and Ellsbury are really the only enormous contracts left on the books for the Yankees and Sabathia is up at the end of the year. In 2 years, Tanaka is going to be up as well so there won't be many big contracts left.

I completely disagree here. The Yankees have one of the youngest rosters in the majors and trading for Gray solidifies the front of the rotation. More importantly, baseball is so random that when you have a chance to get in the postseason like the Yankees do, you do it. The Yankees also still have prospects, as you mentioned. The Yankees also have a logjam in the middle infield and in the outfield and are probably going to add free agents at some point in the next 2 years. There isn't room for anyone and they get a reliable starter.

Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2017  5:06 AM
Back to 2nd place. Ugh. I still think we are probably going to finish ahead of Boston though.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/2/2017  1:27 PM
I love how our great NY radio sports media play up (and actually play Bosox highlights) when the Yankees lose. I'm so glad I don't watch TV.

Tanaka goes for 15 strikeouts tonight!

And I know it's probably just playing for the YES cameras, but all these "dream come true to be a Yankee" stories from almost everyone we traded for is a bit much. Gotta love it anyway.

Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2017  3:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2017  3:33 PM
jrodmc wrote:I love how our great NY radio sports media play up (and actually play Bosox highlights) when the Yankees lose. I'm so glad I don't watch TV.

Tanaka goes for 15 strikeouts tonight!

And I know it's probably just playing for the YES cameras, but all these "dream come true to be a Yankee" stories from almost everyone we traded for is a bit much. Gotta love it anyway.

It's usually either 15 strikeouts or 6 home runs! Exaggerating - but what a crazy season it's been for him.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2017  3:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/3/2017  3:44 PM
Gray debuts tonight! I hope he can handle high expectations.
BigRedDog
Member: #569
8/3/2017  4:53 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Gray debuts tonight! I hope he can handle high expectations.

Sucks that Cle-Bos game got rained out last night and now we have to face Kluber tonight. He is a beast

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2017  4:56 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Gray debuts tonight! I hope he can handle high expectations.

Sucks that Cle-Bos game got rained out last night and now we have to face Kluber tonight. He is a beast

I know. I was thinking about that too. Tough debut to have to make.
Bonn1997
USA
8/4/2017  6:35 AM
2 ER in 6 innings would normally get you a win. Making 3 errors against the first 4 hitters was crazy.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/5/2017  9:39 AM
I think this trade was classic Yankees... The reality is they aren't very good, and they gave up a lot of prospects for a pitcher who might sign elsewhere before the young guys completely develop

Hopefully this works out but this seems reckless

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Bonn1997
USA
8/5/2017  2:37 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I think this trade was classic Yankees... The reality is they aren't very good, and they gave up a lot of prospects for a pitcher who might sign elsewhere before the young guys completely develop

At the moment, Triplethreat seems to be a genius and the rest of us especially me are idiots.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/5/2017  6:02 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I think this trade was classic Yankees... The reality is they aren't very good, and they gave up a lot of prospects for a pitcher who might sign elsewhere before the young guys completely develop

At the moment, Triplethreat seems to be a genius and the rest of us especially me are idiots.

A moment is hardly the sample size to proffer genius status while claiming idiocy. Gerardi said Garcia looked rusty.

We still have some top prospects in the system.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/5/2017  11:11 PM
y2zipper wrote:Baseball is too random for the Yankees to decide they don't have a shot this year. The sport just doesn't work that way..... The Yankees also still have prospects, as you mentioned. The Yankees also have a logjam in the middle infield and in the outfield and are probably going to add free agents at some point in the next 2 years. There isn't room for anyone and they get a reliable starter.

1) Gleyber Torres, SS, Grade A-: Age 19, acquired from Cubs in Aroldis Chapman deal, hit .270/.354/.421 with 29 doubles, 11 homers, 21 steals, 58 walks, 110 strikeouts in 478 at-bats in High-A between the two organizations; unanimously excellent in the Arizona Fall League against older competition; above-average defensive shortstop with arm strength, range, instincts according to many sources, although some fear he may lose range as he matures; at second base he would be excellent if necessary; tapping into his potential offensively, shows feel for the strike zone and power is developing; could end up as .280+ hitter with high OBP and at least moderate power. ETA 2018.

2) Clint Frazier, OF, Grade B+: Age 22, acquired from Indians in Andrew Miller trade, hit .263/.335/.447 between Double-A and Triple-A with 16 homers, 13 steals, 48 walks, 122 strikeouts in 463 at-bats; had some contact problems at the higher level; renowned since high school for incredible bat speed and fast-twitch muscular build; a beast when his hitting mechanics are working well but batting eye is erratic and he can be streaky; runs and throws well enough to be an average center fielder but would be above-average if used at a corner; upside is .280, 20+ homer hitter but for that to happen he’ll need to make more progress against breaking stuff: ETA late 2017.

3) Blake Rutherford, OF, Grade B+: Age 19, first round pick in 2016; hit .351/.415/.570 in 114 at-bats in rookie ball, 13 walks, 30 strikeouts; was rumored as high as first-overall but dropped to 18th due to bonus demands and being a bit older than typical high schooler, plus there was some prospect fatigue since he had been on the radar for so long; pure hitter with a good eye, above-average power, polished for his age; arm grades vary between 45 and 55 depending on source, should be solid defensively due to instincts but hitting is the main draw; ETA: 2020.

4) Jorge Mateo, INF, Grade B+: Age 21, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2012; hit .254/.306/.379 with eight homers, 36 steals, 33 walks, 108 strikeouts in 464 at-bats in High-A; outstanding 80-grade speed is best tool; can also flash power but strike zone judgment is erratic, as is his defense; made summer headlines for wrong reasons due to two-week suspension for insubordinate behavior towards team officials; young enough to overcome makeup concerns; not a bad infielder but may wind up in outfield or in super-utility role; ETA. 2019.

5) Justus Sheffield, LHP, Grade B+: Age 20, acquired from Indians in Andrew Miller trade; posted 3.09 ERA with 129/53 K/BB in 125 innings between High-A and Double-A, just 107 hits; despite 5-10 height he throws hard, 93-96 MPH with higher peaks; both breaking ball and change-up have above-average potential; breaking ball varies in velocity and has been described as both a slider and a curve; command needs further tightening but overall he’s met expectations and could develop into a number three starter. ETA 2019.

6) James Kaprielian, RHP, Grade B+: Age 22, first round pick in 2015 from UCLA; limited to 18 innings in High-A by strained flexor; recovered to pitch well in Arizona Fall League; in college had reputation as a polished arm; he still shows the polish with his curve, slider, and change-up but his velocity has spiked, up to 94-96, giving him a complete arsenal; will have to prove his durability but he has the stuff and command to be a number two or three starter if his arm holds up. ETA 2018.

7) Chance Adams, RHP, Grade B+: Age 22, fifth round pick out of Dallas Baptist in 2015; posted 2.33 ERA with 144/39 K/BB in 127 innings in High-A and Double-A, allowing a mere 76 hits while posting a 13-1 record; bullpen guy in college but had no problem with starter workload in ’16; nasty fastball in mid/upper-90s, also a plus slider, has made progress with softer curveball and change-up; command has been solid thus far; some question his 6-0, 215 pound build as a starting pitcher but I think too much is made of that as long as his command holds up; could always move back to pen if needed and would be a force; ETA: 2018.

8) Domingo Acevedo, RHP, Grade B+/B: Age 22; posted 2.61 ERA with 102/22 K/BB in 93 innings between Low-A and High-A; huge body at 6-7, 245; has the fastball to go with it, 95-100 MPH with peaks at 102 in the past; has a very good change-up but slider is inconsistent, though he usually throws strikes and is often overpowering; despite premium arm strength and good performance numbers, not everyone is all-in on him as a top prospect, due to questions about his role and durability problems including shoulder issues in ’16; ETA late 2018 if healthy.

9) Albert Abreu, RHP, Grade B: Age 21, acquired from Astros in Brian McCann deal; posted 3.72 ERA with 115/58 K/BB in 102 innings between Low-A and High-A; signed out of Dominican Republic in 2013; fastball up there with Acevedo at 94-98 MPH; plus slider, solid-average curveball and change-up as well; command needs more work but Yankees have the luxury of not rushing him; ETA late 2019.

10) Aaron Judge, OF, Grade B/B-: Age 24, first-round pick in 2013 out of Fresno State University; hit .270/.366/.489 with 19 homers, 47 walks, 98 strikeouts in 352 at-bats in Triple-A, then .179/.263/.345 with four homers and 42 strikeouts in 84 at-bats in the majors until going down with oblique injury; massive power (at least a 60, some say 70) in 6-7, 275 pound frame, but strikeout problems are equally massive; had made progress with his swing in Triple-A but major league hitters exposed more holes; may struggle to hit .230 but will crush mistakes; ETA 2017.

11) Miguel Andujar, 3B, Grade B-: Age 21, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2011; hit .273/.332/.410 with 12 homers, 39 walks, 72 strikeouts in 512 at-bats between High-A and Double-A; polarizing prospect; tools are obvious including 70-grade arm and 60-grade raw power but hitting approach is inconsistent, as is his fielding; on the right day he plays like a star but has trouble maintaining consistency with his approach; has been on prospect lists for several years but is still young; upside .280 hitter with power; downside doesn’t get out of Triple-A; ETA 2019.

12) Dillon Tate, RHP, Grade B-: Age 22, first round pick out of UC Santa Barbara by the Rangers in 2015; came to New York in Carlos Beltran trade; posted 4.70 ERA in 82 innings in Low-A with 70/33 K/BB, 99 hits; disappointing season although he looked better in bullpen after the trade; fastball into mid-90s with plus slider (that wasn’t as good in pro ball as it was in college) but change-up remains problematic; did not dominate to the extent expected but still has a shot at being a fine pitcher, most likely in bullpen in my opinion. ETA 2019.

13) Dustin Fowler, OF, Grade B-: Age 21, 18th round pick in 2013, hit .281/.311/.458 with 30 doubles, 15 triples, 12 homers, 25 steals, 22 walks, 86 strikeouts in 541 at-bats in Double-A; rather under-the-radar nationally in a deep system but has intriguing tools including 60-grade speed and 50/55 power, 55 throwing arm; can handle center field; main concern is an aggressive hitting approach that may hamper his OBP, but he’s still young enough to improve that. ETA 2018.

14) Ian Clarkin, LHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 21, posted 3.31 ERA in 98 innings in High-A with 72/30 K/BB; missed last six weeks of the season with torn knee meniscus; missed all of 2015 with elbow problems; when healthy shows low-90s fastball, above-average change-up and two different breaking pitches; can dominate when his command is on but injury time has slowed his development to some extent; could get buried in this system if health problems continue. ETA 2019.

15) Jordan Montgomery, LHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, fourth round pick in 2014 from University of South Carolina; posted 2.13 ERA in 139 innings between Double-A and Triple-A with 134/45 K/BB; big 6-6, 225 pound southpaw; finesse pitcher in college but fastball has bumped up as a pro, now at 90-93; also has change-up, curveball, cutter, plus a deceptive arm angle helps his pitches play up; sharp control, potential fourth starter and ready for a trial soon. ETA 2017.

ANALYST NOTE: Spots 16-20 are interchangeable with the "other Grade C+" guys. I wrote up the players closest to the majors. Feel free to ask about the other guys in the comments section.

16) Tyler Wade, INF, Grade C+: Age 22, fourth round pick in 2013, hit .259/.352/.349 with 66 walks, 27 steals in 505 at-bats in Double-A; left-handed hitter with 60/65 speed and a good batting eye; not much distance power but may develop a bit more pop eventually; on-base skills and speed his best attributes at present; reliable at shortstop but range is mediocre, more likely to fit best at second base or in super-utility role. ETA 2018.

17) Mason Williams, OF, Grade C+: Age 25, hit .298/.315/.380 between low-level rehab work and Triple-A (171 at-bats), then hit .296/.321/.333 in 27 major league at-bats; long history of injuries and inconsistency but has been effective when healthy the last two seasons; above-average defensive player who could slot nicely as a fourth outfielder with occasional offensive contributions when he’s keeping the zone under control. ETA 2017.

18) Tyler Austin, OF-1B, Grade C+: Age 25, older prospect, was a hot property four years ago but stock dropped due to injuries and adaption problems against advanced pitching; made some changes in ’16 and hit .323/.415/.637 in Triple-A then .241/.300/.458 in 83 at-bat major league trial; will have to continue proving himself but can still be a useful Scott Van Slyke-like role player due to his pop. ETA 2017.

19) Giovanny Gallegos, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, from Mexico; Yankees have many bullpen options ready for the majors and Gallegos has received less attention than most, however that should change this spring; added to 40-man roster after posting 1.27 ERA in 78 innings in Double-A/Triple-A with 106/17 K/BB, just 48 hits allowed; Tommy John survivor, fastball has crept up to 94, already has good mixture of off-speed pitches, throws strikes; while some of the "other Grade C+ guys" listed below have higher ultimate ceilings, Gallegos is ready now and I wanted to highlight him. ETA 2017.

20) Dietrich Enns, LHP, Grade C+: Age 25, 19th round pick in 2012 from Central Michigan; added to 40-man roster after going 14-4, 1.73 in 135 innings between Double-A and Triple-A with 124/56 K/BB, 102 hits; like Gallegos, there are guys with higher ceilings below but Enns will be ready for a trial this year and would get more attention in other farm systems; fastball in 88-90 range might play up in bullpen, has a very good change and workable curve and slider, throws strikes. ETA 2017.

OTHER GRADE C+ (could fit in spots 16-20): Johnny Barbato, RHP; Oswaldo Cabrera, 2B; Nestor Cortes, LHP; Juan De Paula, RHP; J.P. Feyereisen, RHP; Drew Finley, RHP; Chad Green, RHP; Jonathan Holder, RHP; Kyle Holder, INF; Zack Littell, RHP; Billy McKinney, OF; Hoy Jun Park, INF; Freicer Perez, RHP; Tito Polo, OF, Yefrey Ramirez, RHP; Josh Rogers, LHP; Donny Sands, C; Nick Solak, INF; Luis Torrens, C

GRADE C (some of these guys have high ceilings): Diego Castillo, SS; Jake Cave, OF; Estevan Florial, OF; Dermis Garcia, OF; Wilkerman Garcia, SS; Domingo German, RHP; Isiah Gilliam, OF; Nick Goody, RHP; Nick Green, RHP; Jorge Guzman, RHP; Ben Heller, RHP; Ronald Herrera, RHP; Kyle Higasshioka, C; Nolan Martinez, RHP; Jio Orozco, RHP; Erik Swanson, RHP; Stephen Tarpley, LHP; Taylor Widener, RHP

Here is John Sickels look at the Yankees farm a few months back.

I don't disagree that the Yankees have to stay active on the trade market and they can't protect everyone in the Rule 5. That being said, the argument could be made on if "This Trade" was the answer for the team and franchise. If you want to trade Blake Rutherford, then OK, at some level, you have to give to get. But Todd Frazier? He's been in decline for the past three years and while he's better than Chris Carter, he does have some Chris Carter type ugly to his game.

AJ Preller of the Padres was interviewed, and he discussed the league's shift to the 10 to 1 ratio for success.

A) You can't win without pitching
B) For every Double A and up arm you have, expect 9 out of 10 be hurt, injured, regressing or declining.

I recognize the majority of prospects just don't pan out. But one of the issues tends to be what you know versus what you hope. You know what Todd Frazier will give you, and what he won't give you. But is that worth the dice roll on hope for the long term. Steinbrenner wanted to trade Bernie Williams at one point. Around the same time or a little before, the Astros just gave up on Kenny Lofton and traded him to Cleveland. I recognize not all guys end up like kind of value, but the Yankees just don't seem to have the arms to get over the hump this year. When you are the Dodgers in terms of farm, then OK, you are in a position to take that risk, sacrificing future hope for a now push. The Yankees are just far from the position.

The Yankees only very close to recently started to focus on reloading their farm. I just don't think they were in a strength position to give up so many guys in their top 20 for declining or soon to be declining vets.

Bonn1997
USA
8/6/2017  6:53 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

A moment is hardly the sample size to proffer genius status while claiming idiocy. Gerardi said Garcia looked rusty.

We still have some top prospects in the system.

JRod teaches us about sample size!
OT: The Yankees Are Back!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy