OT: The Yankees Are Back!
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/13/2017  12:45 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:BigRed - you could be getting your wish at DH:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/13/stay-tuned-girardi-strongly-hints-at-a-new-dh-for-game-1/

HOUSTON — With his DHs hitless in 20 at-bats during the ALDS, the Yankees’ Joe Girardi sounded like a manager contemplating adding a third wheel to the picture.

Asked about Matt Holliday getting his first taste of this postseason, Girardi said, “Stay tuned.’’

Holliday faced Sonny Gray and Chasen Shreve in simulated games after the Yankees worked out Thursday.

I'd still personally like to see Romine get the start at C and Sanchez DH.

Why?

Sanchez hasn't been able to protect those wild pitches as much as you would like, but he has gotten better, but in this Houston series, their pitching isn't has good as clevelands, there strength is their bats

ES
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/13/2017  12:49 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/13/stay-tuned-girardi-strongly-hints-at-a-new-dh-for-game-1/

HOUSTON — With his DHs hitless in 20 at-bats during the ALDS, the Yankees’ Joe Girardi sounded like a manager contemplating adding a third wheel to the picture.

Asked about Matt Holliday getting his first taste of this postseason, Girardi said, “Stay tuned.’’

Holliday faced Sonny Gray and Chasen Shreve in simulated games after the Yankees worked out Thursday.

Why?

Why for Romine? I feel he's a defensive upgrade to Sanchez. At least better at getting to balls in the dirt/stopping a passed ball. I'd also prefer Sanchez's bat to any combination of Headley/Ellsbury/Holliday, albeit Gary didn't have a great series against Cleveland either.

Not saying he should play each game behind the plate, but let's get him a couple games so he's not too rusty.

Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

10/13/2017  1:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/13/2017  1:27 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Why for Romine? I feel he's a defensive upgrade to Sanchez. At least better at getting to balls in the dirt/stopping a passed ball. I'd also prefer Sanchez's bat to any combination of Headley/Ellsbury/Holliday, albeit Gary didn't have a great series against Cleveland either.

Not saying he should play each game behind the plate, but let's get him a couple games so he's not too rusty.

Sanchez is is the superior defense catcher and it isn't even close.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/13/2017  1:46 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Yeah, the blocking pitches thing is way overblown. Sanchez has the better arm and is much better offensively. You lose too much with Romine. Sanchez seems to have improved at blocking the plate too. Talk of putting Romine in made more sense a few months ago. I wouldn't change a thing right now.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/13/2017  2:00 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Yeah, the blocking pitches thing is way overblown. Sanchez has the better arm and is much better offensively. You lose too much with Romine. Sanchez seems to have improved at blocking the plate too. Talk of putting Romine in made more sense a few months ago. I wouldn't change a thing right now.
Not for pitchers. I cant tell you who is better... I havent watched baseball for a few years, right around the time they passed on Cano and gave Elsbury that stupid deal. I just started watching these playoffs and Ive caught the Yankee games. Its been great to watch again.

As a guy who threw hardball in amateur leages for 10+ years let me say the blocking pitches isnt underrated. It really empowers the pitcher. I would take a guy with a weak arm who is a great goalie over a guy with a cannon who gives up pass balls. Just my 2c

I like what I have seen from Sanchez so far.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2017  2:02 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Not for pitchers. I cant tell you who is better... I havent watched baseball for a few years, right around the time they passed on Cano and gave Elsbury that stupid deal. I just started watching these playoffs and Ive caught the Yankee games. Its been great to watch again.

As a guy who threw hardball in amateur leages for 10+ years let me say the blocking pitches isnt underrated. It really empowers the pitcher. I would take a guy with a weak arm who is a great goalie over a guy with a cannon who gives up pass balls. Just my 2c

No, I mean people are overblowing how much of a problem they think it is for Sanchez.
MaTT4281
USA
10/13/2017  2:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/13/2017  2:02 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Not going to argue Sanchez having the better arm. That's obvious - but this is the same guy who tied for first among catchers for most passed balls and errors. Romine isn't going to throw many people out, but I don't worry about the same mistakes being made as I do with Gary.

Offense is a moot point because he'd still be in the lineup.

Again, not saying Romine should replace Gary for the rest of the post-season, but working him in for 2 games in a 7 game series at the expense of Headley/Ellsbury/Holliday? Ya, I support that.

Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

10/13/2017  2:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Sanchez rates as the better pitch framer. He also has the superior catcher's ERA. The Yankees are better with him behind the plate.

Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2017  2:08 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Not going to argue Sanchez having the better arm. That's obvious - but this is the same guy who tied for first among catchers for most passed balls and errors. Romine isn't going to throw many people out, but I don't worry about the same mistakes being made as I do with Gary.

Again, not saying Romine should replace Gary for the rest of the post-season, but working him in for 2 games in a 7 game series at the expense of Headley/Ellsbury/Holliday? Ya, I support that.

I'm not worried about losing Gary from the lineup. I'm worried about having Romine in it. Those other hitters are all way better than him even if Headley and Ellsbury are slumping. How many passed balls has Sanchez even had in the past month?
Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2017  2:09 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

Sanchez rates as the better pitch framer. He also has the superior catcher's ERA. The Yankees are better with him behind the plate.

Yeah except for passed balls, all aspects of his catching are better than Romine's.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/13/2017  2:19 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

I like what I have seen. Pitchers have good body language and no hesitation letting it fly. I thought the way and stuff CC threw was telling.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaTT4281
USA
10/13/2017  2:38 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Why?

I'm not worried about losing Gary from the lineup. I'm worried about having Romine in it. Those other hitters are all way better than him even if Headley and Ellsbury are slumping. How many passed balls has Sanchez even had in the past month?

My perception is probably skewed from this summer when I was able to catch more games - was looking for stats by month to no avail, although looks like Gary's only had 4 PB since the first week in August. Not as bad as I had thought.

Headley/Ellsbury have had their chances this post-season and have put up 0-20. Holliday looks to be next to try his hand, but it's not as though he's been a juggernaut this season by any stretch. Would be great if he found a hot streak.

Still hoping Romine finds some time. Don't want to see iced out the entire post season, especially if anything were to happen to Gary and we needed to throw him in later.

Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2017  5:35 PM
I think Judge is becoming too patient at the plate. He hits the ball so hard. Good things happen when he puts the ball in the play. I'd like to see him swing more.
Bonn1997
USA
10/14/2017  7:47 AM
Hard loss. I think you have to move Bird up in the lineup - maybe even 3rd (right after Judge).
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  4:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/14/2017  4:39 PM
Castro on with a broken bat dribbler. Line up is having a hell of a time reading these pitches from Verlander, Gardner excluded.
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  5:02 PM
Gardner with the near triple... got greedy.
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  5:17 PM
Getting sick of Judge. He's got to be dropped in the order.
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  5:27 PM
Yanks miss a HR by about a foot, Houston squeaks one over by a matter of inches...
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  6:00 PM
Aaron K. Judge down swinging again.
MaTT4281
USA
10/14/2017  6:46 PM
Robertson's getting outs, but they're hit pretty solidly. Nervous keeping him in there much longer.
OT: The Yankees Are Back!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy