[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The Yankees Are Back!
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/31/2017  4:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2017  8:01 PM
This has been the first exciting Yankees season in a long time for me. And man has it been exciting! Obviously acquiring Gray was big. Here are all my thoughts based on both the analytics and just casual observations.

-Based on run differential, the team is better than its record (even before the Gray trade). The bullpen had a crazy number of blown saves for a while and that's unlikely to repeat itself.
-I'm a big CC fan on a personal level. He's battled for a long time and he to some extent re-invented himself. I really root hard for him.
-I like Gray but I'm not convinced he's an ace. I think he's more like a #2. That definitely still helps us though.
-Tanaka is completely unreliable. Unless he's perfect for the rest of the season, I hope Joe doesn't make him the #1 starter in the playoffs just out of loyalty.
-I don't think the HR derby messed up Judge's swing. There was a 538 article on him having a crazy amount of luck with balls in play falling for hits and fly balls go for home runs. Part of that is because he hits the ball so hard, but both stats were at crazy historic levels and unlikely to continue. I don't think his current slump is indicative of a serious problem either, though. It's great to have him, Sanchez, and the rest of the young talent on the team.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-aaron-judge-the-next-babe-ruth-or-the-next-jeremy-lin/
-I think the upgrade of getting Todd Frazier was more important than people have been saying. We were terrible at first base, and being able to move Headley there helps. Frazier draws a ton of walks and is good in the field at third too.
-Gardner is awesome. Even in the middle of the season, I thought he should have been an all-star. (I thought he was much more deserving than Betances.)
-I don't expect Clint Frazier's #s to stay this good unless he can get his strikeouts down and draw more walks/show more plate discipline.

AUTOADVERT
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

7/31/2017  5:39 PM
Yes the yankees are back! This is the best the team has looked since 95 . A great mix of youth and vets in there prime.

Let's look at position by position.

First base- funny to think this is our weakest position when bird has been injured all year ... the guy is one of our best pure hitters when healthy. Also Mike ford in triple A is a great back up... chase is also holding his own.

Second base - Castro is one of our best players he'll be back soon, ronny T is a super utility player and plays the Louis soho role well with a better bat. Tyler wade is about a year away but a great future piece.

Shortstop- talk about reaching potential in Didi the guy is a top shortstop in this league a plus hitter with plus fielding ability, he's done a great job replacing the greatest yankee of all time ... add the fact we have Torres the next jeter waiting in the shadows the future is a sure great thing waiting to happen .

Third base - Frazier is a great stop gap this year what's not to love he's a jersey kid who comes to the plate listening to Frankie blue eyes and is a vet leader this team needs great eye at the plate ... wade boggs 2.0? We have a star in the making in Miguel Andujar. The guy is the second coming to Andre Beltran!

Catcher ...Gary boom sanchize! With a plus back up in romine! Position set !

Right field, judge is a super star even in slumps he is still a risk to pitch to a perfect 3rd hitter and a potential gold glove winner . Add that the back up is Aaron hicks this position is set for years! Add Billy McKinney to the mix the guy is a player!

Center field , Gardner the glue is a great vet leader, but jake cave and mason williams are waiting in the wings Gardner will eventually be the back up or moved but you gotta love his spirit!

Left field another super star in the making in Clint Frazier! This guy is going to be the left fielder for years to come! Again add Gardner and hicks to as the back ups and left field is set for years to come.

Starting rotation-
Luis silverino - ace
Sonny gray- ace
Jordan Montgomery- Andy P reincarnation - future ace type pitcher
Tanaka- can be ace but not a bad back of rotation pitcher
CC- what can we say I love this guy ! He's reinventing himself ala the moose from a few years past
Garcia- great spot starter long arm in the bullpen, can never have enough ground ball lefties at yankee stadium
Add the fact we have future aces coming up in chance adams, chad green, Luis Cessa, Sheffield,acevado

Our future looks great !

Bullpen is awesome!

Warren
Roberson
Kline
Batances
Chapmen

Plus a surplus of young arms coming up bullpen is set .

Our teams future is so bright we don't need Harper or manny M

Our team is still evolving and you don't spend bid until you see where our biggest need is !

Oh we are the front runners to land Japan's babe Ruth !

Life as a yankee fan hasn't felt this promising since 95!

BigRedDog
Member: #569
7/31/2017  5:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2017  5:44 PM
This has been the first exciting Yankees season in a long time for me. And man has it been exciting! Obviously acquiring Gray was big. Here are all my thoughts based on both the analytics and just casual observations.
-Based on run differential, the team is better than its record (even before the Gray trade). The bullpen had a crazy number of blown saves for a while and that's unlikely to repeat itself.
-I'm a big CC fan on a personal level. He's battled for a long time and he to some extent re-invented himself. I really root hard for him.
-I like Gray but I'm not convinced he's an ace. I think he's more like a #2. That definitely still helps us though.
-Tanaka is completely unreliable. Unless he's perfect for the rest of the season, I hope Joe doesn't make him the #1 starter in the playoffs just out of loyalty.
-I don't think the HR derby messed up Judge's swing. There was a 538 article on him having a crazy amount of luck with balls in play falling for hits and fly balls go for home runs. Part of that is because he hits the ball so hard, but both stats were at crazy historic levels and unlikely to continue. I don't think his current slump is indicative of a serious problem either, though. It's great to have him, Sanchez, and the rest of the young talent on the team.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-aaron-judge-the-next-babe-ruth-or-the-next-jeremy-lin/
-I think the upgrade of getting Todd Frazier was more important than people have been saying. We were terrible at first base. Frazier draws a ton of walks and is good in the field.
-Gardner is awesome. Even in the middle of the season, I thought he should have been an all-star. (I thought he was much more deserving than Betances.)
-I don't expect Clint Frazier's #s to stay this good unless he can get his strikeouts down and draw more walks/show more plate discipline.

Not sure if you watch the games ( same as basketball) or just look at stats but Todd Frazier plays 3rd base
Agree that Gray really isn't an ace, more of a #2 pitcher

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/31/2017  6:07 PM
I started a thread the first wk of the (mlb)season that this team was about to shock everyone(although no one paid attention because it was so much phil drama)

But this is the way you turn your franchise around quickly, they flipped their high price productive vets last season for top prospects in the majors, sign some high character (matt holiday) vets to help the young guys, and since there farm system has crazy potential, they have been able to trade for some key pieces thoughout the yr..

I hope Mills is paying attn

ES
Bonn1997
USA
7/31/2017  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2017  8:02 PM
BigRedDog wrote:This has been the first exciting Yankees season in a long time for me. And man has it been exciting! Obviously acquiring Gray was big. Here are all my thoughts based on both the analytics and just casual observations.
-I think the upgrade of getting Todd Frazier was more important than people have been saying. We were terrible at first base. Frazier draws a ton of walks and is good in the field.

Not sure if you watch the games ( same as basketball) or just look at stats but Todd Frazier plays 3rd base
Agree that Gray really isn't an ace, more of a #2 pitcher

I'm glued to the TV during the games. Just messed up when I typed that. When you type a whole book for the original message, it's easy to make one mistake. Obviously getting Frazier allowed us to move Headley to first. I re-wrote that part of the post.

y2zipper
Member: #3287

8/1/2017  12:17 AM
Watching a ton of games this year has showed me that it's a good team. It makes sense to go for it because they basically went 10-22 over the course of a month and nbody in the division ran away. Most of that was the bullpen struggling, but that's where the great start and the great offense help them and where it makes sense to go for it.

The underrated aspect of the trades is that they fit within the Yankees building a more sustainable approach. Gray is probably a #2, but the yankees have a #1 in Severino and and #2 in Gray that's going to be around for two years. On top of that, the Yankees have some prospects that are coming in for guys I don't trust long-term (I guess just Castro, although Hicks long-term is kind of eh to me too so there's that). So going into 18 and beyond the Yankees can add pieces in free agency and through the international signing bonus money that came in through two of their trades.

It was also a great call from Cashman to stick with Headly, even if he's become the first baseman instead of the 3rd baseman. He's been really productive outside of his terrible May.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/1/2017  7:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2017  10:18 AM
I thought last season was great. The kids made a nice run and Sanchez rising was cool!!
Key was selling to get prospects instead of buying to make a half baked run in the playoffs.
Key is to have assets. Wife beating chapman was a good acquisition and even amazing that he came back to us.
Bartman gets a ring, we get our closer back!! Brilliant!!!
Knick1248, it was not the Phil drama that kept readers away.
Also, you guys are funny, Yanks back in 1st place and y'all were just prophetic?
its a good thing, lets have fun!!!
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

8/1/2017  8:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I started a thread the first wk of the (mlb)season that this team was about to shock everyone(although no one paid attention because it was so much phil drama)

But this is the way you turn your franchise around quickly, they flipped their high price productive vets last season for top prospects in the majors, sign some high character (matt holiday) vets to help the young guys, and since there farm system has crazy potential, they have been able to trade for some key pieces thoughout the yr..

There's no "farm system" in hoops. Building a MLB team is easier due to less dependence on any single position (i.e., 9 players + pen compared with 5 + bench).

Also, the cap situation isn't comparable.

Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2017  9:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2017  9:03 AM
Moonangie wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I started a thread the first wk of the (mlb)season that this team was about to shock everyone(although no one paid attention because it was so much phil drama)

There's no "farm system" in hoops. Building a MLB team is easier due to less dependence on any single position (i.e., 9 players + pen compared with 5 + bench).

Also, the cap situation isn't comparable.

Yeah it's a million times easier to do this in baseball. If 1248 thinks the salary situation is similar in the NBA to MLB, then his posts make more sense. I'm sure Cashman couldn't get good prospects for guys like Noah and Lee.
dwiley20
Member: #5755

8/1/2017  9:22 AM
Cubs stand up!!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/1/2017  10:05 AM
dwiley20 wrote:Cubs stand up!!

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

8/1/2017  10:06 AM
For me, I started to feel the enthusism around June last year and it just keeps building. The future looks brite for this organization. Cashman has us on a steady rise. Great to have the Yankees back in the conversation of best teams in baseball. Looks like baseball in October back in the Bronx for many years to come.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/1/2017  11:21 AM
While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension? OUr farm system was finally great and we deal away 3 of our top 10. I know two are recovering from injury and there are other players who will get a crack at playing SS and OF than Mateo... but I don't know, I don't necessarily think we got Gray at such a steep discount, as most are suggesting

curious what others - but specifically Bonn - think about that

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2017  11:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2017  11:29 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension? OUr farm system was finally great and we deal away 3 of our top 10. I know two are recovering from injury and there are other players who will get a crack at playing SS and OF than Mateo... but I don't know, I don't necessarily think we got Gray at such a steep discount, as most are suggesting

Oh definitely there's some apprehension. It was a big gamble and I'm not sure if Gray is going to give up far more homers in the Bronx. I think the Yankees will always feel that if they have a chance to win the WS, they have to go for it. I agree with the move though. A chance to win a WS is a golden opportunity. One thing working in Gray's favor is that lefties don't hit that well against him. So they might not be able to take advantage of the short right field in YS.

Fish, where are you? You usually jump in on any Yankees discussions here? And JRod? Well, it's OK if you don't jump in. JK

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/1/2017  11:33 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:While I do think the Sonny Gray deal was worth making, does anyone else have a little apprehension? OUr farm system was finally great and we deal away 3 of our top 10. I know two are recovering from injury and there are other players who will get a crack at playing SS and OF than Mateo... but I don't know, I don't necessarily think we got Gray at such a steep discount, as most are suggesting

It's nice to have a farm system in place... but if you have young studs in place already on the main roster, keeping kids in the minors just to have a "strong farm system" just isn't practical. You have to harvest the farm sometines... the Yanks did good. They didn't burn the farm down. They did just enough to strengthen the main team and still will have kids on deck just in case

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
y2zipper
Member: #3287

8/1/2017  12:25 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a steep discount, but Gray is a good pitcher who will be around for awhile and he's a ground ball pitcher that really doesn't give up home runs.

What eases this even more is that the Yankees still have a good farm system, all of the guys that they traded are currently injured, and they don't really have spots for two of the guys they gave up. The outfield is already pretty crowded with Judge, Hicks, Gardner, Frazier and Ellsbury, Didi and Torres are going to be at SS and 2B long-term. The Yankees have a window right now and the trades they've made have opened it for 2-3 years.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

8/1/2017  12:39 PM
EnySpree wrote:
dwiley20 wrote:Cubs stand up!!

LMAO!!!

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

8/1/2017  12:41 PM
Thank god for my Yankees!!! I'm also a Knick and Jets fan
BigRedDog
Member: #569
8/1/2017  1:16 PM

I think you also have to consider the Rule 5 draft. Yanks can only protect so many players. They felt they would lose some anyways so this trade allows they to protect other players they wanted to keep.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/1/2017  2:11 PM
BigRedDog wrote:

I think you also have to consider the Rule 5 draft. Yanks can only protect so many players. They felt they would lose some anyways so this trade allows they to protect other players they wanted to keep.

I do recognize that is a factor, but I thought that was more of a factor for Jaime Garcia. Are there more legit prospects than i thought that could be exposed to the rule 5 draft?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
OT: The Yankees Are Back!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy