Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/31/2017  4:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I think Sessions is much better suited for the mentoring role. Derrick must have really sold it in his exit meeting.

what makes a journey player who has made a living on 1 yr contracts, a better mentor than a former MVP, who has done a lot more winning the Sessions (2 short playoffs run).

?? You really dont know?

Stop acting like he would have been your fist choice if there were any other options.

The knicks picks session almost by default, no cap space, and no better players willing to except the vet min, or available. I hate to say it, but I think I would have preferred sasha

you wanted Rose back. Im not putting much stock into your wants. No offense.

I never said I was in favor of bringing rose back, although he would have been better then sessions.

Rondo was my #1 choice, a guy that won't cater to melo(if he returns) and will set up everyone else, he's also a champion, and his IQ is higher than most pg's in the league.

ES
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/31/2017  4:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I think Sessions is much better suited for the mentoring role. Derrick must have really sold it in his exit meeting.

what makes a journey player who has made a living on 1 yr contracts, a better mentor than a former MVP, who has done a lot more winning the Sessions (2 short playoffs run).

?? You really dont know?

Stop acting like he would have been your fist choice if there were any other options.

The knicks picks session almost by default, no cap space, and no better players willing to except the vet min, or available. I hate to say it, but I think I would have preferred sasha

I never said I was in favor of bringing rose back, although he would have been better then sessions.

Rondo was my #1 choice, a guy that won't cater to melo(if he returns) and will set up everyone else, he's also a champion, and his IQ is higher than most pg's in the league.

I think Melo is eventually gone but he would benefit tremendously from playing with Rondo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/31/2017  4:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

?? You really dont know?

In what way would Rose be better than Sessions?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
7/31/2017  5:19 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This Is just further proof of how different the views were in the front office when phil was here.

The journey man will accept the role given. The former MVP wouod be playing for his next big deal, calling his own number etc. The journeyman didn't go AWOL on the team when he was told the team wasn't going to negotiate a near max deal in December. Lots of reasons to choose Sessions over Rose for this role.

I don't want to make it seem like im vouching for rose or wanted him back, but from a talent stand point, and the fact that were not running the triangle, on a $2 million contract.

I'm only interested in bringing in players who can help me win first, anything else is gravy. What exactly does sessions do well?

ES
martin
USA
7/31/2017  5:38 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This Is just further proof of how different the views were in the front office when phil was here.

The journey man will accept the role given. The former MVP wouod be playing for his next big deal, calling his own number etc. The journeyman didn't go AWOL on the team when he was told the team wasn't going to negotiate a near max deal in December. Lots of reasons to choose Sessions over Rose for this role.

I don't want to make it seem like im vouching for rose or wanted him back, but from a talent stand point, and the fact that were not running the triangle, on a $2 million contract.

I'm only interested in bringing in players who can help me win first, anything else is gravy. What exactly does sessions do well?

plays defense and is pass first.

What exactly does Rose do well?

knicks1248
7/31/2017  6:38 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

score and put pressure on opposing PG's to to defend him, in SESSIONs case, opposing pg can relax on defense knowing they got a guy who can't really score at all.

Do you really think 31 yr old session has the ability to lock down the pg position, do you see the point guards in todays NBA, it requires a very good defensive system

ES
martin
USA
7/31/2017  6:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

score and put pressure on opposing PG's to to defend him, in SESSIONs case, opposing pg can relax on defense knowing they got a guy who can't really score at all.

Do you really think 31 yr old session has the ability to lock down the pg position, do you see the point guards in todays NBA, it requires a very good defensive system

seriously? This is all you got?

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/31/2017  6:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He is a Knick for his veteran leadership for the young guards. An example of putting team above Personal accomplishments. I for one like the signing.

knicks1248
7/31/2017  7:03 PM
Vmart wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He is a Knick for his veteran leadership for the young guards. An example of putting team above Personal accomplishments. I for one like the signing.

It's not a bad signing, it's just not a good one either. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought they were getting a more productive PG in a melo trade

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/31/2017  7:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

It's not a bad signing, it's just not a good one either. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought they were getting a more productive PG in a melo trade

Just what is a good signing?

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/31/2017  8:35 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This what you want Frank to be mentored to do? Put yourself ahead of the team, never pass the ball, if you get to touch it, you get to shoot it and there's no such thing as defense? What exactly did Rose help you win last year?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/31/2017  9:41 PM
In fact, a source told The Post the signing of veteran point guard Ramon Sessions partly was due to him connecting better with Anthony and Kristaps Porzingis than did Derrick Rose, who left for Cleveland via free agency.
http://nypost.com/2017/07/31/carmelo-anthony-finally-might-be-ready-to-come-out-of-hiding/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/1/2017  10:17 AM
Journeymen also make better coach's than do great players. There is a long list of players who did not succeed as head coach's.
There is a far better list of players that never made it to the NBA, or were role players.

Phil Jax
George Karl
Larry Brown
Don Nelson
Pat Riley

These guys are atop the all time wins list and are HOF coach's. None are HOF players or former MVP's. Not even close.
Pop never even sniffed pro's. "
Popovich served five years of required active duty in the United States Air Force, during which he toured Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union with the U.S. Armed Forces Basketball Team. In 1972, he was selected as captain of the Armed Forces Team, which won the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) championship. This earned him an invitation to the 1972 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team trials".

So in your book a mentor has to be someone who won. I mentioned sessions last week as someone we should look at because he has similar physical attributes and has been a journeyman. But I did not know his acumen to communicate and teach. I found one common denominator. THats all. To me Rondo has been at odds with his last few stops with the coach's and does not seem like a team guy. He is very smart but that does not make him a good communicator. His inability to do so has been discussed by some as a borderline personality disorder. Basically he has succeeded in Boston when he was under strong leadership. Since then, he has been disruptive. Its why he fell in the draft. The kid can play, that was never disputed.

Knicks1248, try to not see the NBA thru your lens but see how the business works. As fan you can watch tape and learn how good players did things, but on the court instruction, and in this case "Mentorship" i'd say the last person you want is Rondo. If you watched Jason Kidd and even Jose play they would both talk and instruct even on the bench. Rookies need that, and a vet bought in has to know.

Some guys are tagged as coach prospects. Derek Fisher was one as was Earl Watson. These are the kind of guys who perpetuate their careers and bring value when their age and skills start to diminish.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/1/2017  11:12 AM
Sessions is just a good basketball player. He's like Evan Turner at PG. Nothing special, but good at everything. Cant carry a team, but in the right setting can have a good impact. He's very similar to Lee as well in that regard. This guy will help alot, both on the floor and in the lockerroom. These were exactly the type of guys we had when we won 54 games. Sheed, Kidd, Brewer, Novak, Copeland... good role players.

I think this is exactly the type of guy we needed to add to the guard mix. Ntilikina, Baker and Randle should all have to beat out Sessions for minutes and good luck, Ramon is a savvy player and will get guys involved. Do not be shocked if he sticks around after this year.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
8/1/2017  1:23 PM
This is when I really wanted sessions

Sessions, 31, agreed to terms on a one-year veteran’s minimum deal at $2.1 million Friday — or eight years after former general manager Donnie Walsh once offered him a four-year, $24 million package

remember that, when we really needed him to come in and run MDA's offense, and he blew us off..Now we get him when

Sessions missed the final 31 games with a torn meniscus last season for Charlotte, which declined his team option of $6.2 million. It was the first significant injury of his career and he finished the season with disappointing numbers.

Sessions averaged a career-low 16.2 minutes, 6.2 points (second-fewest of his career) and 2.6 assists (a career low). His field-goal percentage (38 percent) was second-lowest of his career

Typical of the knicks recruiting players coming off injury....But I hope for the best

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/1/2017  1:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:This is when I really wanted sessions

Sessions, 31, agreed to terms on a one-year veteran’s minimum deal at $2.1 million Friday — or eight years after former general manager Donnie Walsh once offered him a four-year, $24 million package

remember that, when we really needed him to come in and run MDA's offense, and he blew us off..Now we get him when

Sessions missed the final 31 games with a torn meniscus last season for Charlotte, which declined his team option of $6.2 million. It was the first significant injury of his career and he finished the season with disappointing numbers.

Sessions averaged a career-low 16.2 minutes, 6.2 points (second-fewest of his career) and 2.6 assists (a career low). His field-goal percentage (38 percent) was second-lowest of his career

Typical of the knicks recruiting players coming off injury....But I hope for the best

jesus is this an act or are you really like this?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/1/2017  2:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

We'll find out how good Mills/Perry are. But it's pretty clear their thinking on trades and signings is less bad than what happened under Phil.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/1/2017  3:59 PM
fishmike wrote:Sessions is just a good basketball player.

I disagree. He's a mediocre basketball player. But you can still carve out a role in the NBA as a mediocre basketball player.

Is he a better defender than Rose? Yes. Because he gives sometimes effort versus Rose's no effort at all.

Is he a better passer than Rose? Yes and No. In transition, Sessions can facilitate. In a half court set/offense, he's a liability. He can't hit the three ball and his court vision is suspect.

They both can get to the rim. Rose can finish at the rim. Sessions bizarrely really can't.

Both are just sort of dumb players. Rose is dumb because he's talented enough to be more useful, but he simply doesn't care, doesn't try, won't put in the work to develop more skills. Sessions would be far more lethal if he developed a three point shot and learned how to drive and kick more. Defensively, sometimes it comes to mindset and effort and his is inconsistent. Sessions also fails to understand how to create close contact around the rim when needed ( This is where MoreyBall and James Harden excel, Harden has perfected the art of jumping into defenders and creating contact for a bail out)

Sessions can give you 60 percent of what Rose gives you at a fraction of the cost. He's not a long term liability. He holds some very very very limited trade potential at the deadline if he produces enough.

Sessions was available for a reason. If he was a better player, more teams would have gone after him and not have him sit there at the Tier 5 stage of FA.

I'd rather have Ian Clark, but he's going to cost more than the minimum somewhere.

Compared to Rose, Sessions looks pretty damn enticing. But then again, a 90 year old woman would look good if you've been on a deserted island alone for 40 years. Well compared to a worn down coconut with a hole in it and that you've named Petunia.

The Knicks are a desert island of hell.
Sessions is a 90 year old woman. Basically a flesh and blood warm wet hole.
Rose is a well battered finger friendly coconut that conveniently forms air pockets inside for suction.

Like real life, circumstances dictates what a warm wet hole is worth.

Sessions can be useful. In limited situations. It's best not to compare him to Rose, it's best to compare him to the past versions of Sessions that has established a baseline of type of play and production.

reub
Member: #6227

8/1/2017  5:14 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

We'll find out how good Mills/Perry are. But it's pretty clear their thinking on trades and signings is less bad than what happened under Phil.

Let's be fair. Phil gave us KP, Willy, Frank, Dotson and Baker plus O'Quinn while only having 2 inherited #1 draft picks to use. That's an excellent record in that department. He also refused to trade any #1 picks so the franchise is healthy again moving forward.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/2/2017  8:26 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Do you mean you are projecting their thinking on trades from their signing THJR?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Ramon Sessions!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy