[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ramon Sessions!
Author Thread
TLover
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #381
USA
7/28/2017  11:29 PM
Let's be positive here folks.. low cost player who's a hard nose defender at a minimal cost. Takes over the Sasha role as 10th man which is fine.
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/30/2017  7:12 AM
TLover wrote:Let's be positive here folks.. low cost player who's a hard nose defender at a minimal cost. Takes over the Sasha role as 10th man which is fine.

Sessions is not a hardnosed defender. In fact, his so-so defense and lack of a consistent jumpshot are the main reasons he bounces around the league. But I agree he was a good addition for the team. He has a wealth of experience and offensively, he is a solid pick and roll pg, who should be able to offer advice and leadership to Frank and baker on how to be an effective NBA point guard.

Trust the Process
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/30/2017  10:29 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:It's a one year deal. If he's bad or even terrible, we can just cut him. This should be a complaining situation for nobody.

So ? - if Session's is awful can we just cut him on a vet min deal and sign someone else on the same vet-min type deal with no cap implications or are we stuck with Sessions for year?

Cap Hit Versus Cash Hit

If the Knicks want to cut Sessions and sign another player to the veterans minimum ( adjusted for that players service time ) they have to pay the cash hit, i.e. Sessions got a full year contract, so they have to pay him every penny of his contract. But it has no implication the salary cap and luxury tax. Nor would a veteran minimum player's salary if he was signed to replace Sessions.

Part of the rationale for the Veterans minimum is that the NBAPA wants teams to sign veteran players whenever possible, instead of young UDFAs or holding onto low round draft picks to fill out their roster, because they would be cheaper otherwise. It also operates as an injury buffer. If you have 6-7 guys get hurt, and you are over the cap, if the system locked you out of the veteran's minimum, how are you going to put a functional roster on the floor that night?

Warriors signed Jose Calderon last year, then cut him hours later to sign someone else. They had to pay Calderon anyway, but it had no tax implications for them. They also would not be seen as going over the cap if they were in that position ( they were IIRC over the cap)

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/30/2017  1:06 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:It's a one year deal. If he's bad or even terrible, we can just cut him. This should be a complaining situation for nobody.

So ? - if Session's is awful can we just cut him on a vet min deal and sign someone else on the same vet-min type deal with no cap implications or are we stuck with Sessions for year?

Cap Hit Versus Cash Hit

If the Knicks want to cut Sessions and sign another player to the veterans minimum ( adjusted for that players service time ) they have to pay the cash hit, i.e. Sessions got a full year contract, so they have to pay him every penny of his contract. But it has no implication the salary cap and luxury tax. Nor would a veteran minimum player's salary if he was signed to replace Sessions.

Part of the rationale for the Veterans minimum is that the NBAPA wants teams to sign veteran players whenever possible, instead of young UDFAs or holding onto low round draft picks to fill out their roster, because they would be cheaper otherwise. It also operates as an injury buffer. If you have 6-7 guys get hurt, and you are over the cap, if the system locked you out of the veteran's minimum, how are you going to put a functional roster on the floor that night?

Warriors signed Jose Calderon last year, then cut him hours later to sign someone else. They had to pay Calderon anyway, but it had no tax implications for them. They also would not be seen as going over the cap if they were in that position ( they were IIRC over the cap)

Great explananation. Thanks for posting this.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/30/2017  2:06 PM
Not bad, we need some seasoned vets. Hope he can stay healthy.
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/31/2017  3:30 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Cap Hit Versus Cash Hit

Great explananation. Thanks for posting this.

+1 thanks for that explanation. Which raises another question. Say we like what Sessions brings to the team. Can we somehow pay off the 2.3 mil we owe him, give him like a penny contract that would eat the cap but only a tiny bit, would we be able to free up our vet min to sign someone else?

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/31/2017  3:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2017  3:59 AM
ramtour420 wrote:+1 thanks for that explanation. Which raises another question. Say we like what Sessions brings to the team. Can we somehow pay off the 2.3 mil we owe him, give him like a penny contract that would eat the cap but only a tiny bit, would we be able to free up our vet min to sign someone else?

The number of veteran minimum's you have ( It would termed the Veteran's Minimum if you are under the cap, and the Veteran's Minimum EXCEPTION if you are at or over the cap) is based on the number of roster spots you have outside of "cap holds"

A good example is the pre 2011 Miami Heat

1) LeBron James
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Chris Bosh
4) Udolis Haslem
5) Mike Miller
6) Mario Chalmers
7) Micheal Beasley
8) Vet Minimum
9) Vet Minimum
10) Vet Minimum
11) Vet Minimum
12) Vet Minimum
13) Vet Minimum
14) Vet Minimum

( I don't remember if it was a 14 man roster or a 15 man roster back in 2011, it's been a while, but you get the point here)

As long as you have an open roster spot you can clear, you can sign a player for the Veteran's Minimum OR the Veteran's Minimum Exception.

In the case of the Heat, they drove their team right to the cap to get LBJ and Bosh the most money possible. So they signed guys like Big Z and Erick Dampier to veteran minimum contracts.

If the Knicks wanted another player for the veteran's minimum, let's say Jameer Nelson for example. They can simply clear another roster spot ( dump someone without a guaranteed contract) and sign him, and have him AND Sessions at the vet minimum. Or they can cut Sessions, and sign Nelson to his roster spot.

In the Tyson Chandler trade, IIRC, Jackson traded away Outlaw and a 2nd to get his contract ( over the vets minimum) off the book so the team could sign Travis Wear to his roster spot.

The Vet Minimum is really a sliding scale depending on the players tenure in the league. Sessions has been playing longer than a guy like Shane Larkin, so Sessions vet minimum rate will be higher. Whatever placement you are on this sliding scale is the rock bottom any team can pay you in the NBA on a one year deal. Think of it like real life minimum wage. The Knicks can't offer Sessions a 1 dollar contract. Nor can they pay him more than the face value of his minimum contract off the books to entice him or to create a cap advantage.

This is why teams , esp team cap locked or close to the edge of the cap, have to think hard about back of the roster decisions. Signing Ron Baker to his deal takes away his disposability. He's no longer a minimum level player.

I think what you are asking is if there is just one Vet Minimum Exception. And the answer is No, it's as many as you have roster spots not absorbed by "cap holds" i.e. players with guaranteed contracts above the vet minimum, up to 15. Two way players IIRC don't qualify, as they need less than 3 years service time to be eligible to be two way players.

What there is only one of is the Room Exception. This was a compromise to replace the previous Mid Level Exception for cap locked teams. The MLE still exists, but only for teams under the cap.

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/31/2017  5:00 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:+1 thanks for that explanation. Which raises another question. Say we like what Sessions brings to the team. Can we somehow pay off the 2.3 mil we owe him, give him like a penny contract that would eat the cap but only a tiny bit, would we be able to free up our vet min to sign someone else?

The number of veteran minimum's you have ( It would termed the Veteran's Minimum if you are under the cap, and the Veteran's Minimum EXCEPTION if you are at or over the cap) is based on the number of roster spots you have outside of "cap holds"

A good example is the pre 2011 Miami Heat

1) LeBron James
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Chris Bosh
4) Udolis Haslem
5) Mike Miller
6) Mario Chalmers
7) Micheal Beasley
8) Vet Minimum
9) Vet Minimum
10) Vet Minimum
11) Vet Minimum
12) Vet Minimum
13) Vet Minimum
14) Vet Minimum

( I don't remember if it was a 14 man roster or a 15 man roster back in 2011, it's been a while, but you get the point here)

As long as you have an open roster spot you can clear, you can sign a player for the Veteran's Minimum OR the Veteran's Minimum Exception.

In the case of the Heat, they drove their team right to the cap to get LBJ and Bosh the most money possible. So they signed guys like Big Z and Erick Dampier to veteran minimum contracts.

If the Knicks wanted another player for the veteran's minimum, let's say Jameer Nelson for example. They can simply clear another roster spot ( dump someone without a guaranteed contract) and sign him, and have him AND Sessions at the vet minimum. Or they can cut Sessions, and sign Nelson to his roster spot.

In the Tyson Chandler trade, IIRC, Jackson traded away Outlaw and a 2nd to get his contract ( over the vets minimum) off the book so the team could sign Travis Wear to his roster spot.

The Vet Minimum is really a sliding scale depending on the players tenure in the league. Sessions has been playing longer than a guy like Shane Larkin, so Sessions vet minimum rate will be higher. Whatever placement you are on this sliding scale is the rock bottom any team can pay you in the NBA on a one year deal. Think of it like real life minimum wage. The Knicks can't offer Sessions a 1 dollar contract. Nor can they pay him more than the face value of his minimum contract off the books to entice him or to create a cap advantage.

This is why teams , esp team cap locked or close to the edge of the cap, have to think hard about back of the roster decisions. Signing Ron Baker to his deal takes away his disposability. He's no longer a minimum level player.

I think what you are asking is if there is just one Vet Minimum Exception. And the answer is No, it's as many as you have roster spots not absorbed by "cap holds" i.e. players with guaranteed contracts above the vet minimum, up to 15. Two way players IIRC don't qualify, as they need less than 3 years service time to be eligible to be two way players.

What there is only one of is the Room Exception. This was a compromise to replace the previous Mid Level Exception for cap locked teams. The MLE still exists, but only for teams under the cap.

Thank you for such a complete answer. That's exactly what I was wondering about.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/31/2017  10:19 AM
Funny, A few days back before the signing I mentioned (My moment of "I CALLED IT") Sessions over someone else mostly in the form of questioning others as to the type of player you want to mentor Frank.
Some want to play and not mentor. Also, Sessions is about the same size and type of athlete as frank so there are things he can teach him.
Don't worry about Sessions being "Well, what has he done so great lately" because in many ways the best coaches are the middle to lower type NBA player (Still the NBA folks!!! Top 1% world wide!!) who have studied the game and survived in the league. So Im to assume perhaps Sessions has accepted the job and might even aspire to coach when his career is over.
Amazing how young Frank looks in photo's. Kid might still grow some, he just turned 19 this week!!!
CrushAlot
USA
7/31/2017  11:34 AM

I think Sessions is much better suited for the mentoring role. Derrick must have really sold it in his exit meeting.
Nalod
USA
7/31/2017  11:43 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
I think Sessions is much better suited for the mentoring role. Derrick must have really sold it in his exit meeting.

Who knows what phil was cooking up for this summer!

CrushAlot
USA
7/31/2017  11:52 AM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Who knows what phil was cooking up for this summer!

All we had were rumors. A Melo buyout, a Porzingis trade, triangle workshops and mentoring.
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/31/2017  1:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

what makes a journey player who has made a living on 1 yr contracts, a better mentor than a former MVP, who has done a lot more winning the Sessions (2 short playoffs run).

This Is just further proof of how different the views were in the front office when phil was here.

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/31/2017  1:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

what makes a journey player who has made a living on 1 yr contracts, a better mentor than a former MVP, who has done a lot more winning the Sessions (2 short playoffs run).

?? You really dont know?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/31/2017  1:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

This Is just further proof of how different the views were in the front office when phil was here.

Depends on the price and role. If Rose was willing to resign for dirt cheap for one year to come off the bench in an instant offense role. Sessions could still be signed for vet minimum to actually handle some PGs duties.

Saying Phil wanted to resign Rose doesn't say much. Doesn't say the price Phil was willing to resign him for or the role Rose was willing to accept playing. Was reported that Thibbs wanted to trade for Rose and that Thibbs was interested in signing Rose as a free agent as well. He didn't do either.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
USA
7/31/2017  2:22 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

How is that?

knicks1248
7/31/2017  2:26 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

?? You really dont know?

Stop acting like he would have been your fist choice if there were any other options.

The knicks picks session almost by default, no cap space, and no better players willing to except the vet min, or available. I hate to say it, but I think I would have preferred sasha

ES
knicks1248
7/31/2017  2:30 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

How is that?

no more triangle- A system mills said will not at all be required to run
no rose- A guy phil wanted to bring back at the right price
bringing THJ back-A guy phil traded

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/31/2017  3:39 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

?? You really dont know?

Stop acting like he would have been your fist choice if there were any other options.

The knicks picks session almost by default, no cap space, and no better players willing to except the vet min, or available. I hate to say it, but I think I would have preferred sasha

you wanted Rose back. Im not putting much stock into your wants. No offense.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
USA
7/31/2017  4:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The journey man will accept the role given. The former MVP wouod be playing for his next big deal, calling his own number etc. The journeyman didn't go AWOL on the team when he was told the team wasn't going to negotiate a near max deal in December. Lots of reasons to choose Sessions over Rose for this role.
Ramon Sessions!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy