No, no, no, no!!!
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/25/2017  9:55 AM
fishmike wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:I'm surprised everyone is overlooking the fact that Kyrie doesn't want to play on a Cleveland team that probably wins the East and competes for a title so that he can go to a worse team and be the man. I guess I could've maybe understood it if Lebron was locked in to Cleveland for several years, but he's a free agent after next year and likely leaving and then Kyrie could have been the man and savior to Cleveland and if Lebron did stay then he could ask for a trade next summer. I guess I question how important winning is to Kyrie. Sounds like another Melo to me.
might be, but how long do you have to play with someone you simply dont like before its OK to ask for a change? Cle is a terrible location. Terrible. Lebron runs the team and Kyrie has complained about one of Lebron's buddies traveling with the team. The guy is human, has already won there and clearly there are personality issues/conflicts.

Yeah, if you can't stand someone enough, you'll do anything possible to get away from him/her. Even for NBA millionaires, happiness is more important than championships. I don't blame Kyrie for simply wanting to leave if he can't stand LeBron that much.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/25/2017  10:01 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:I'm surprised everyone is overlooking the fact that Kyrie doesn't want to play on a Cleveland team that probably wins the East and competes for a title so that he can go to a worse team and be the man. I guess I could've maybe understood it if Lebron was locked in to Cleveland for several years, but he's a free agent after next year and likely leaving and then Kyrie could have been the man and savior to Cleveland and if Lebron did stay then he could ask for a trade next summer. I guess I question how important winning is to Kyrie. Sounds like another Melo to me.
might be, but how long do you have to play with someone you simply dont like before its OK to ask for a change? Cle is a terrible location. Terrible. Lebron runs the team and Kyrie has complained about one of Lebron's buddies traveling with the team. The guy is human, has already won there and clearly there are personality issues/conflicts.

Yeah, if you can't stand someone enough, you'll do anything possible to get away from him/her. Even for NBA millionaires, happiness is more important than championships. I don't blame Kyrie for simply wanting to leave if he can't stand LeBron that much.

Is LeBron really that terrible? Or is Kyrie a narcissist who needs more attention and doesn't realize how much of a privilege it is to play with LeBron?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/25/2017  10:06 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Is LeBron really that terrible? Or is Kyrie a narcissist who needs more attention and doesn't realize how much of a privilege it is to play with LeBron?

If Irving didn't have a ring, I doubt he makes this move. Dont believe its narcissism to want to lead you're own team, make your own mark in the league. Out from under the shadow of LeBron.

LeBron is likely out of Cleveland next season, Kyrie wants to beat him to the punch.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2017  10:11 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

If Irving didn't have a ring, I doubt he makes this move. Dont believe its narcissism to want to lead you're own team, make your own mark in the league. Out from under the shadow of LeBron.

LeBron is likely out of Cleveland next season, Kyrie wants to beat him to the punch.

Ask Kevin Love how enjoyable its been to play with him. There is no bigger ego than the man who calls himself the King. Everyone around him is there for Lebron's legacy, but a guy is a narcissist for wanted to be out from under that? 3 years, 3 finals, a ring and two playoff runs where he was a big bucket getter isnt enough?

Its possible Kyrie is a big head and just wants "his." I just dont get the assumptions painted that a guy "doesnt care about winning" when he's miserable where he is.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/25/2017  10:23 AM
Playing with perhaps the top 2-3 players of all time is never easy. Three trips to the finals, etc.
But since Kyrie got he has had 3 coach's and two GM's and it looks like the whole thing is blowing up.
He wants out now. not a terrible thing. The team seems to have the sun, moon and stars revolving around Lebron as it should be, but for the other players its a constant readjustment.

Its also as if Kyrie has to carry the load, until Lebron decides to take over and finish. At 25 Im sure Kyrie has a strong ego and wants to be paid star money. A team that trades for him now can pay him later.
If Kyrie stays he'll see Love and Lebron likley depart and he might not get extended next year.

And........at the end of the day. Its cleveland.

Allanfan20
USA
7/25/2017  10:58 AM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Ask Kevin Love how enjoyable its been to play with him. There is no bigger ego than the man who calls himself the King. Everyone around him is there for Lebron's legacy, but a guy is a narcissist for wanted to be out from under that? 3 years, 3 finals, a ring and two playoff runs where he was a big bucket getter isnt enough?

Its possible Kyrie is a big head and just wants "his." I just dont get the assumptions painted that a guy "doesnt care about winning" when he's miserable where he is.

I'm sure it's entirely possible that Irving is an egomaniac at LeBrons' level but it's equally possible that either he hates LeBron as a person or their personalities just clash and it causes Irving a lot of anxiety. Millions and millions of dollars cannot make up for the misery that that causes. No, this is not me blasting LeBron either. It's just how the cookie is crumbling, sadly for Cleveland fans.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2017  11:07 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I'm sure it's entirely possible that Irving is an egomaniac at LeBrons' level but it's equally possible that either he hates LeBron as a person or their personalities just clash and it causes Irving a lot of anxiety. Millions and millions of dollars cannot make up for the misery that that causes. No, this is not me blasting LeBron either. It's just how the cookie is crumbling, sadly for Cleveland fans.

screw them. They got their title. Now back to obscurity
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
7/25/2017  11:15 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Saying he hates LeBron just raises more questions. Does LeBron have a reputation of his teammates hating him or is the issue really with Kyrie?
Allanfan20
USA
7/25/2017  11:18 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Saying he hates LeBron just raises more questions. Does LeBron have a reputation of his teammates hating him or is the issue really with Kyrie?

The answer is nobody truely knows. We know their relationship is probably very strained if not irrepairable. We know LeBron is most likely very. Very pissed. We have yet to get a direct quote from either guy and even if we did, it would probably not be revealing at all. I am just presenting possibilities.

Bonn1997
USA
7/25/2017  11:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2017  11:25 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The answer is nobody truely knows. We know their relationship is probably very strained if not irrepairable. We know LeBron is most likely very. Very pissed. We have yet to get a direct quote from either guy and even if we did, it would probably not be revealing at all. I am just presenting possibilities.

OK fair enough. You're right we don't know. I can say that if I valued winning, I'd be willing to put up with a lot from LeBron. Obviously I wouldn't tolerate anything imaginable and it is possible LeBron is terrible to be around.
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

7/25/2017  12:01 PM
Irving's mentor is Kobe Bryant.
Kobe was all about making a name for himself.
Irving is following in his mentor's footsteps.

Now question is if Kyrie is actually that good.
We don't know.
But neither will Kyrie until he tries.

So I have some respect for what Kyrie wants to do.
I just think he could have waited a year to do it.

Next year Lebron would opt out and the decision is much easier for Kyrie. Cavs also have less power in a trade as they are dealing a player that could be viewed as a year rental. This summer Cavs have more weight as they can value Kyrie as a core player for the new team, meaning they will ask and get more. Harder to pull a trade off.

Timing is weird by Kyrie.

jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
7/25/2017  12:41 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Jrshoops wrote:This Get Kyrie Irving at all costs talk is ridiculous.

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

We finally have our first round picks again, and we need to rebuild through the draft and developing our own prospects first! Kyrie doesn't get us to a championship with KP and Hardaway! We need to see what we have with Ntilikina first, he has the ability with his desire and wingspan to be a GREAT defender and at 18, playing against professional players, had a well rounded offensive game.

We don't even know if KP can stay healthy for an entire season. We need more picks, not less! We have no ****in patience to ever do it the right way in ANY sport in New York, that's why we win way less than we should in all NY sports.

We had this great press conference with a great mantra of building and changing the culture. Kyrie will still only be 27 when his deal is up. If we show we are a player away then that is the time to get him and trade some picks.

Don't do it Knicks! Build from the bottom and finally change our culture. Long term success not a sugar rush!

As I said when Phil was relieved of his contract, "Welcome to hell."

Yeah, because it was heaven when Phil was here.

Philosophy is important when rebuilding following the path and sticking to it.

Yeah, stick to a philosophy that wasn't working and keep us sinking deeper into the hole we were
in.

What are you talking about. Cut the crap you know And I know it's important for any franchise to build up their youth. Trading away future assets for immediate gratification is absolutely the reason we are in the reason for where we are. We did it for a Melo trade and look what has been accomplished. You do the same for Kyrie and you just repeated the same mistake. Learn from mistakes.

Like I said I'll take Kyrie but only for Melo and O'Quin or Lee

Then why did Phil resign Melo, sign Lee and Noah and trade for Rose? That was his "youth movement?" How many "philosophies" did we have to endure from Phil before he got it right? He that was truly his plan he should've let Melo walk when he was a free agent. Phil's plan was he had no plan, at least not one that worked.

And can we cut the crap with these valuable "assets" we gave up for Melo. The two picks would've been nice but wouldn't have yielded a franchise player where we picked. And Gallo, W. Chandler, Mozgov and Felton have played in a grand total of zero all-star games collectively since being traded.

And what good did the franchise player do? Sent the franchise back another 6 years, what else? Counting "all star" games is how you measure player value? Enuff said, I suppose.

Yeah, don't forget, Moz got a ring! All we did with the franchise player was go to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade! But hey, why measure player value by something as stupid as playoff appearances when you could have had... Ray Felton!

jrodmc
USA
7/25/2017  12:49 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

We finally have our first round picks again, and we need to rebuild through the draft and developing our own prospects first! Kyrie doesn't get us to a championship with KP and Hardaway! We need to see what we have with Ntilikina first, he has the ability with his desire and wingspan to be a GREAT defender and at 18, playing against professional players, had a well rounded offensive game.

We don't even know if KP can stay healthy for an entire season. We need more picks, not less! We have no ****in patience to ever do it the right way in ANY sport in New York, that's why we win way less than we should in all NY sports.

We had this great press conference with a great mantra of building and changing the culture. Kyrie will still only be 27 when his deal is up. If we show we are a player away then that is the time to get him and trade some picks.

Don't do it Knicks! Build from the bottom and finally change our culture. Long term success not a sugar rush!

Yeah, stick to a philosophy that wasn't working and keep us sinking deeper into the hole we were
in.

What are you talking about. Cut the crap you know And I know it's important for any franchise to build up their youth. Trading away future assets for immediate gratification is absolutely the reason we are in the reason for where we are. We did it for a Melo trade and look what has been accomplished. You do the same for Kyrie and you just repeated the same mistake. Learn from mistakes.

Then why did Phil resign Melo, sign Lee and Noah and trade for Rose? That was his "youth movement?" How many "philosophies" did we have to endure from Phil before he got it right? He that was truly his plan he should've let Melo walk when he was a free agent. Phil's plan was he had no plan, at least not one that worked.

And can we cut the crap with these valuable "assets" we gave up for Melo. The two picks would've been nice but wouldn't have yielded a franchise player where we picked. And Gallo, W. Chandler, Mozgov and Felton have played in a grand total of zero all-star games collectively since being traded.

And what good did the franchise player do? Sent the franchise back another 6 years, what else? Counting "all star" games is how you measure player value? Enuff said, I suppose.

The problem goes deeper then the Melo trade. Its giving up Hill and another lotto pick to dump Jeffries contract which turned into Felton. So Felton cost 2 lotto picks. Its not getting any future picks for Crawford or Randloph which could have been offered in the Melo trade and still left us with assets build with after the deal. David Lee putting up 18pts 12rebs 4ast and us not getting *anything* back for him when all was said and done when he should have gotten us a lotto pick. Refusing to add Fields to the Melo deal and giving up a future pick instead only to get nothing in return for Fields one year later. This would be on top of having Gallo, Chandler, Moz, still possibly Felton.

Exactly what's the virtue of still having gallo, chandler, mozgiv and Felton?

Its not really specifically about having or keeping Gallo, Chandler etc... But the pre Melo deals if managed better would have left the Knicks with leftover assets after the Melo trade. Which they could have used to add more talent. Say they are able to keep Moz and Chandler and offer Hill and one of the draft picks acquired in a previous Jamal Crawford trade which Walsh got a future pick back for Crawford. Or vise versa and we kept Hill and draft pick. Those assets can now be used to build around Melo. In a perfect scenario Amare wouldn't have been signed for 100mil contract either with 80 yr old man knees as doctors proclaimed. And we would also have some cap space due to not blowing our load. W.Chandler and another assets (which we would have plenty) could have been used to acquire a SG. Instead of depending on JR Smith going to china during the lockout year and signing him for pennies due to luck. Or maybe we get that as well on top of quality starter would be an option. Moz or Hill would plug in at center or be moved for another Center. Flexibility to improve and balance out the rosters. There would be tons of different variables. But the key theme is tons of options to try and improve.

Wow, and I thought quantum physics was complicated...

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/25/2017  1:55 PM
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

The problem goes deeper then the Melo trade. Its giving up Hill and another lotto pick to dump Jeffries contract which turned into Felton. So Felton cost 2 lotto picks. Its not getting any future picks for Crawford or Randloph which could have been offered in the Melo trade and still left us with assets build with after the deal. David Lee putting up 18pts 12rebs 4ast and us not getting *anything* back for him when all was said and done when he should have gotten us a lotto pick. Refusing to add Fields to the Melo deal and giving up a future pick instead only to get nothing in return for Fields one year later. This would be on top of having Gallo, Chandler, Moz, still possibly Felton.

Its not really specifically about having or keeping Gallo, Chandler etc... But the pre Melo deals if managed better would have left the Knicks with leftover assets after the Melo trade. Which they could have used to add more talent. Say they are able to keep Moz and Chandler and offer Hill and one of the draft picks acquired in a previous Jamal Crawford trade which Walsh got a future pick back for Crawford. Or vise versa and we kept Hill and draft pick. Those assets can now be used to build around Melo. In a perfect scenario Amare wouldn't have been signed for 100mil contract either with 80 yr old man knees as doctors proclaimed. And we would also have some cap space due to not blowing our load. W.Chandler and another assets (which we would have plenty) could have been used to acquire a SG. Instead of depending on JR Smith going to china during the lockout year and signing him for pennies due to luck. Or maybe we get that as well on top of quality starter would be an option. Moz or Hill would plug in at center or be moved for another Center. Flexibility to improve and balance out the rosters. There would be tons of different variables. But the key theme is tons of options to try and improve.

Its not really that complicated. We made bad move after bad move giving away assets chasing stars until we were grid locked. Dating back to when Walsh came in to tear down everything hoping to sign Lebron & co as FA in 2008. We have one good season to show for it.

Now we risk going down the same road because for some reason ppl believe this time its gonna be different. Melo wasn't Marbury but the end results were still the same. Irving isn't Marbury or Melo, but the results would still be the same.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

7/25/2017  2:16 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

Its not really that complicated. We made bad move after bad move giving away assets chasing stars until we were grid locked. Dating back to when Walsh came in to tear down everything hoping to sign Lebron & co as FA in 2008. We have one good season to show for it.

Now we risk going down the same road because for some reason ppl believe this time its gonna be different. Melo wasn't Marbury but the end results were still the same. Irving isn't Marbury or Melo, but the results would still be the same.

The point is your premise is based on a cascading butterfly effect series of events being different. And I'm not sure all that accurate, though I'll reserve judgment. How do you figure a lottery pick for Jefferies in addition to Hill?

You have a bigger problem, though. You specifically critical of the specific moves the Knicks made, but are generally critical of trading players or picks in general.

Which is it?

Building trough the lottery is by no means some certain path to success, despite popular theory.

jrodmc
USA
7/25/2017  3:18 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

The point is your premise is based on a cascading butterfly effect series of events being different. And I'm not sure all that accurate, though I'll reserve judgment. How do you figure a lottery pick for Jefferies in addition to Hill?

You have a bigger problem, though. You specifically critical of the specific moves the Knicks made, but are generally critical of trading players or picks in general.

Which is it?

Building trough the lottery is by no means some certain path to success, despite popular theory.

I forget, refresh me.
LA won with Kobe and building through the lottery?
SanTone built through the lottery? Robinson and Duncan were 10 years apart. Tony Parker? 28th pick. Manu? Second rounder.
Boston won a chip by building through the lottery, right?
Dallas won a chip by building through the lottery?
LeQ won chips by building through the lottery?
GS is winning chips only by building through the lottery? Iggie? Durant? Are those three lottery picks winning all by their lonesome now?

All these teams (except GS) had one lottery pick they built around, or in the case of LeQ, he built around himself.

Let me know when Philly wins a chip.

Tons of variables, Tons of options. Tons of draft busts. The lottery, by definition is luck. Look at San Tone's draft history. Tons of HOF types in there.

I'm not saying you just throw money at the Iversons and Kyries and Melos and Stats; but to think you're going to do everything through the draft is just snorting March Madness kool aid. You need to pray you draft that one unicorn that comes along once every 10 years, and then hope you can sign known quantities before your unicorn moves on.

Would you have predicted the Knicks going to the Finals back in '99 with that team?

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/25/2017  3:20 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

chasing unknown college players is just as much a gamble as getting a young proven super star?

How many teams survived a long rebuild without giving up mid way through?

Almost every team that tried, but If frank flops and you had a chance to trade him for IRVING and you didn't you would slit your wrist.

ES
newyorknewyork
7/25/2017  7:12 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

Which is it?

There is a common theme between all of them which makes them all similar and is the same issue with adding Kyrie today. That depending on the deal we won't have the pieces to improve going forward. That is the main issue. And we already have Perry saying Cavs can have anything they want except KP.

I have no problem trading picks depending on the deal. Already stated I would give up Melo & 2 future first round picks 1 protected and 1 unprotected for Irving. As well as other side moves like swapping Lee for Shumpert, Adding KOQ & Kuz to the deals so Cavs can get other smaller upgrades. If that's not good enough then so be it. Have no problem going after a Marbury or Melo. Everything depends on situation. I don't beleive Knicks are in the situation where giving up a boat load of assets for Irving will serve their best interest. Part of the reason is I don't view Irving as that caliber of player. And there are many pit falls that goes into the possible trade.

Trading for Irving and we would have 2 seasons to turn this team into a contender or there is a possibility that he could bolt for a better situation. With less assets and no real cap space to work with after the deal it could lead to desperation moves of giving up even more future picks packaged with the Lee's or Noah's for players that could give immediate help. The move also depends a lot on KP becoming a superstar player which isn't a guarantee. There is no guarantee that Irving-Hardaway-KP trio is a better team then the Wizards Wall-Beal-Porter trio or the Raps Lowry-Derozan-Ibaka-Jonas or Bucks Freak-Middleton-Parker-Brogden. Yet they will have their picks and other movable pieces or better supporting cast to continually improve as well as young players from past drafts that are getting better. And this isn't even getting into Celtics or the West coast. Irving also isn't a seamless fit. Neither Irving, Hardaway, or KP are known for their passing. So would the team also need to reshuffle players to balance the team out to get maximum contributions out of everyone.

Wolves were in the ideal situation for the moves they made. They traded their previous lotto picks as well as the one they held at the draft for Butler while being able to fall back on Towns, Wiggins, Rubio, Deing and major cap space. As well as nabbing the #16 pick in the draft. Then moved Rubio for another future draft pick. Then signed Teague & Gibson with the space. Don't owe any future picks yet added one. All made possible by loading up on enough assets to play with house money.

If a draft pick is a bust we would still have draft picks and pieces to improve the team afterwards. If Irving is a bust(not because he is producing stats but in terms of generating wins) then there isn't much room for improvement afterwards given our situation not for a couple years unless we give up valuable pieces our self or more future assets. Now what if Willy and Frank actually turn out to be good players? To go along with the picks coming in that wasn't traded away. To go along with better cap situation. All i'm saying is its to early imo for a move like this for Irving. I would prefer to collect more assets and then go after a star while still being able to fall back on healthy situation to continually improve.

newyorknewyork
7/25/2017  7:31 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

Which is it?

I forget, refresh me.
LA won with Kobe and building through the lottery?
SanTone built through the lottery? Robinson and Duncan were 10 years apart. Tony Parker? 28th pick. Manu? Second rounder.
Boston won a chip by building through the lottery, right?
Dallas won a chip by building through the lottery?
LeQ won chips by building through the lottery?
GS is winning chips only by building through the lottery? Iggie? Durant? Are those three lottery picks winning all by their lonesome now?

All these teams (except GS) had one lottery pick they built around, or in the case of LeQ, he built around himself.

Let me know when Philly wins a chip.

Tons of variables, Tons of options. Tons of draft busts. The lottery, by definition is luck. Look at San Tone's draft history. Tons of HOF types in there.

I'm not saying you just throw money at the Iversons and Kyries and Melos and Stats; but to think you're going to do everything through the draft is just snorting March Madness kool aid. You need to pray you draft that one unicorn that comes along once every 10 years, and then hope you can sign known quantities before your unicorn moves on.

Would you have predicted the Knicks going to the Finals back in '99 with that team?

Knicks have like $1000 and may spend $2000 taking out loans and paying interest. I would like the Knicks to stack up $3,000-$4,000 so that even if they spend @2,000 they still have $1,000-$2,000 to play with.

In 99 they got Camby for Oakley. They got Sprewell for John Starks since Spree choked his coach and got him for peanuts. They traded Anthony Mason for Larry Johnson. Signed Houston as a FA. Charlie Ward was a late first round pick. Other than the Mason for LJ move. All the other moves the Knicks got waaaay more value back then what they gave up. Boston got KG & Allen due to stacking up on assets while still being able to fall back on Pierce and Rondo. Lakers gave up a lot less for Gasol then what we are projected to give up for Irving. They also got Odom because they dealt Shaq and drafted Bynum with a lotto pick. These teams got their players at bargain prices while being able to fall back on multiple high quality players of their own.

BigRedDog
Member: #569
7/25/2017  7:32 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Youth - Check
Talented - Check
Defense - No

in.

Which is it?

There is a common theme between all of them which makes them all similar and is the same issue with adding Kyrie today. That depending on the deal we won't have the pieces to improve going forward. That is the main issue. And we already have Perry saying Cavs can have anything they want except KP.

I have no problem trading picks depending on the deal. Already stated I would give up Melo & 2 future first round picks 1 protected and 1 unprotected for Irving. As well as other side moves like swapping Lee for Shumpert, Adding KOQ & Kuz to the deals so Cavs can get other smaller upgrades. If that's not good enough then so be it. Have no problem going after a Marbury or Melo. Everything depends on situation. I don't beleive Knicks are in the situation where giving up a boat load of assets for Irving will serve their best interest. Part of the reason is I don't view Irving as that caliber of player. And there are many pit falls that goes into the possible trade.

Trading for Irving and we would have 2 seasons to turn this team into a contender or there is a possibility that he could bolt for a better situation. With less assets and no real cap space to work with after the deal it could lead to desperation moves of giving up even more future picks packaged with the Lee's or Noah's for players that could give immediate help. The move also depends a lot on KP becoming a superstar player which isn't a guarantee. There is no guarantee that Irving-Hardaway-KP trio is a better team then the Wizards Wall-Beal-Porter trio or the Raps Lowry-Derozan-Ibaka-Jonas or Bucks Freak-Middleton-Parker-Brogden. Yet they will have their picks and other movable pieces or better supporting cast to continually improve as well as young players from past drafts that are getting better. And this isn't even getting into Celtics or the West coast. Irving also isn't a seamless fit. Neither Irving, Hardaway, or KP are known for their passing. So would the team also need to reshuffle players to balance the team out to get maximum contributions out of everyone.

Wolves were in the ideal situation for the moves they made. They traded their previous lotto picks as well as the one they held at the draft for Butler while being able to fall back on Towns, Wiggins, Rubio, Deing and major cap space. As well as nabbing the #16 pick in the draft. Then moved Rubio for another future draft pick. Then signed Teague & Gibson with the space. Don't owe any future picks yet added one. All made possible by loading up on enough assets to play with house money.

If a draft pick is a bust we would still have draft picks and pieces to improve the team afterwards. If Irving is a bust(not because he is producing stats but in terms of generating wins) then there isn't much room for improvement afterwards given our situation not for a couple years unless we give up valuable pieces our self or more future assets. Now what if Willy and Frank actually turn out to be good players? To go along with the picks coming in that wasn't traded away. To go along with better cap situation. All i'm saying is its to early imo for a move like this for Irving. I would prefer to collect more assets and then go after a star while still being able to fall back on healthy situation to continually improve.

I'm sorry but when did Perry say that?? Lets get a quote. More fake news to fit your agenda???

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
No, no, no, no!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy