The Knicks are in the drivers seat
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/17/2017  9:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  9:37 AM
You guys got things twisted....

Melo wants to go to Houston...

Knicks don't like any trades they can come up with....

The knicks don't have to trade Melo....

This is Melo's only options.... expand his list of teams he would go to or honor his contact. He has to show up and play. If he doesn't want to cooperate... he can sit on the bench or get ordered to stay away. Get fined from the team and all that. That's not a bad thing. It shows our young players nothing and no one is above the team. Its the team that matters. There are 14 other players careers to build, not just one.

The Knicks don't have to buy him out. What makes Melo different from any other player? Nobody can care less if Noah plays again. Why so much concern for Melo?

Having Melo's dead contract on the roster sucks... but are the Knicks championship contenders? No.... will a lottery pick be a disaster? No.... it would be a come up. Melo could sit and opt out next summer. Or he can play choir boy and see what the year brings before the trade deadline.

The knicks are in control here. This is business. Nothing personal

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/17/2017  10:01 AM
Melo has unique opportunity to define his last run in NBA alone.
It is a privilege and honor he get for his stellar carrier as ball player and entrepreneur.
But it also a challenge as it will be no one to blame if he will select wrong path for himself and organization he will stick with.
Knicks top management will surely remind him on this fact today.
They will obviously facilitate him to go join other organization or stay with Knicks both on the terms desirable by Knicks organization.
Then it will be his decision and work of his agents to facilitate the decision.
There is nothing to worry for Knicks fans in Melo respect.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
7/17/2017  10:05 AM
For once the knicks are in the driver's seat.....turning down back seat deal
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/17/2017  10:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  10:17 AM
EnySpree wrote:You guys got things twisted....

This is Melo's only options.... expand his list of teams he would go to or honor his contact. He has to show up and play. If he doesn't want to cooperate... he can sit on the bench or get ordered to stay away. Get fined from the team and all that. That's not a bad thing. It shows our young players nothing and no one is above the team. Its the team that matters. There are 14 other players careers to build, not just one.

The Knicks don't have to buy him out. What makes Melo different from any other player? Nobody can care less if Noah plays again. Why so much concern for Melo?

Having Melo's dead contract on the roster sucks... but are the Knicks championship contenders? No.... will a lottery pick be a disaster? No.... it would be a come up. Melo could sit and opt out next summer. Or he can play choir boy and see what the year brings before the trade deadline.

You do have a point. If Melo wants to leave that badly then negotiate a very favorable buy out for the Knicks in return for his freedom. But we know that won't happen because above all else, Melo wants his money. I also, the Knicks need to be in a situation where teams know we're fine keeping Melo around for another year. Why would teams deal us in good faith if they knew Phil was trying to buy Melo out?
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/17/2017  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  10:17 AM

So we've basically evened up the playing field with trading Melo cause we know where he wants to go but we're not gonna give him away or take on bad contracts unless we get good assets in young players and draft picks to come with those bad contracts. It's too bad we let it get so far with Houston and making it look like a deal with Houston was everything but done cause Melo has now got his hopes up to go there so getting him to even think about adding teams to his list that he'd waive his NTC for is gonna be hard to do. We can get a much better return from teams like Portland, Wash or OKC then we can from Houston or Clev so it sure would be nice if he would waive it for Portland, even if it was just to get Houston worried they won't get him and get them to up their offer for him. The problem with getting Morey to believe he'd waive his NTC for another team is that i'm sure Melo and CP3 are talking with each other through this whole thing and i'm sure Morey is talking with CP3 about what Melo will really do.

You say nobody could care less if Noah ever plays a game for us but that's crazy if true cause i damn sure hope and think he's gonna play games for us and i still think he can be a positive for us if healthy so i'm not giving up on Noah yet.

arkrud
USA
7/17/2017  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  10:21 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:

So we've basically evened up the playing field with trading Melo cause we know where he wants to go but we're not gonna give him away or take on bad contracts unless we get good assets in young players and draft picks to come with those bad contracts. It's too bad we let it get so far with Houston and making it look like a deal with Houston was everything but done cause Melo has now got his hopes up to go there so getting him to even think about adding teams to his list that he'd waive his NTC for is gonna be hard to do. We can get a much better return from teams like Portland, Wash or OKC then we can from Houston or Clev so it sure would be nice if he would waive it for Portland, even if it was just to get Houston worried they won't get him and get them to up their offer for him. The problem with getting Morey to believe he'd waive his NTC for another team is that i'm sure Melo and CP3 are talking with each other through this whole thing and i'm sure Morey is talking with CP3 about what Melo will really do.

You say nobody could care less if Noah ever plays a game for us but that's crazy if true cause i damn sure hope and think he's gonna play games for us and i still think he can be a positive for us if healthy so i'm not giving up on Noah yet.

There is no father damage possible with Noah contract.
It is between him playing to his current potential, medical retirement, or stretch which all are OK scenarios for Knicks.
We will not contend until the final year of his contract at best so it is not an issye at all.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/17/2017  10:55 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:

I think this step was necessary for everything else to fall out, i.e. put Knicks in a better trading position.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA

I agree, but I do see the downside to player development and chemistry if Melo is here. He's done well, but I think by his very stature, he has star treatment, and others don't and I think this, and his prior contracts have caused distractions.

I agree we're not winning any time soon, but I think there is value to ending the Melo experiment so the franchise and the players left can move on without distraction.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
turns out the Knicks also have a no trade clause
arkrud
USA
7/17/2017  11:02 AM
anrst wrote:turns out the Knicks also have a no trade clause

Every NBA team has it and it called contract.
Malo and Knicks relationships are B-to-B with Melo represented by his agency.
It is not about basketball any more, just business.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/17/2017  11:06 AM
anrst wrote:turns out the Knicks also have a no trade clause

Nice.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/17/2017  11:07 AM
franco12 wrote:

I agree, but I do see the downside to player development and chemistry if Melo is here. He's done well, but I think by his very stature, he has star treatment, and others don't and I think this, and his prior contracts have caused distractions.

I agree we're not winning any time soon, but I think there is value to ending the Melo experiment so the franchise and the players left can move on without distraction.

Yup...If he's on the team, whether he starts, comes off the bench, or sits on the bench, he will retard the development of some players and be a distraction in the locker room.

Truly a moment when a move will help both the player and the team.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/17/2017  11:26 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Yup...If he's on the team, whether he starts, comes off the bench, or sits on the bench, he will retard the development of some players and be a distraction in the locker room.

Thing is, the Knicks can always release Melo on the eve of training camp, which is months away. There is little imperative to move him now if the return is undesirable.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2017  11:36 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Thing is, the Knicks can always release Melo on the eve of training camp, which is months away. There is little imperative to move him now if the return is undesirable.

Or during training camp, or during the start of the season.

At that point the GM comes in addresses the team and says we had hoped to make it worse but we had a player that was more focused on doing it his way and we didnt want it to becomes a distraction. Even though this player is a highly paid player with status in the league this team is about you guys, not about him.... end of speech.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/17/2017  11:40 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

At that point the GM comes in addresses the team and says we had hoped to make it worse but we had a player that was more focused on doing it his way and we didnt want it to becomes a distraction. Even though this player is a highly paid player with status in the league this team is about you guys, not about him.... end of speech.

Phil was at war with Melo and could not find away to correct the untradeable contract he gave him. The new management team s not at war with Melo. Working with Melo for a positive outcome is the best scenario. I don't see any situation where he is just released.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/17/2017  11:54 AM
Knicks are in a better place when they dont hit the panic button.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2017  12:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Phil was at war with Melo and could not find away to correct the untradeable contract he gave him. The new management team s not at war with Melo. Working with Melo for a positive outcome is the best scenario. I don't see any situation where he is just released.
If you ask Melo to do something he's not enthusiastic about it often becomes that. What did Phil ask him to do that turned so toxic? Rather that worry about assigning blame this is the real question.

He's got an NTC. If you dont him trade when you are able to, the Knicks must consider that a buyout/waive may become a last resort should he decide that Jeff is telling him not to hold the ball so long or defend his guy and Melo decides "this sucks."

So I have no problem with the FO trying to make things right, or at least better but there is risk there also. Time will tell.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2017  12:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  12:54 PM
Melo is in the passanger seat. Tat on his arm "Who can I trust?"

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/17/2017  1:18 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

If you ask Melo to do something he's not enthusiastic about it often becomes that. What did Phil ask him to do that turned so toxic? Rather that worry about assigning blame this is the real question.

He's got an NTC. If you dont him trade when you are able to, the Knicks must consider that a buyout/waive may become a last resort should he decide that Jeff is telling him not to hold the ball so long or defend his guy and Melo decides "this sucks."

So I have no problem with the FO trying to make things right, or at least better but there is risk there also. Time will tell.

Other than forcing the triangle, Rambis, making bad management decisions, and a lot of losing Phil didn't do much. But instead of correcting or modifying his approach he intensified it, going full triangle, drafting a guy that fit the triangle, fighting and entertaining trade offers for KP, not retaining KP's coach, using Melo as a scapegoat etc. Phil was horrible as president and never held himself accountable. He blamed Melo. Not a good approach if your objective is to move the guy with the huge contract, NTC, and trade kicker. The front office reset hopefully allows for the Knicks and Melo to work together to resolve it. I don't think that ad any chance of happening with Phil as pres.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/17/2017  1:30 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Other than forcing the triangle, Rambis, making bad management decisions, and a lot of losing Phil didn't do much. But instead of correcting or modifying his approach he intensified it, going full triangle, drafting a guy that fit the triangle, fighting and entertaining trade offers for KP, not retaining KP's coach, using Melo as a scapegoat etc. Phil was horrible as president and never held himself accountable. He blamed Melo. Not a good approach if your objective is to move the guy with the huge contract, NTC, and trade kicker. The front office reset hopefully allows for the Knicks and Melo to work together to resolve it. I don't think that ad any chance of happening with Phil as pres.

Melo Pass the ball! Melo give Max Effort on both ends. Melo run the floor to get Early buckets and get back on D! F Melo!!! Nobody did anything to him. He just refused to take responsibility for his position as the team's highest paid player!

Now he can sit and stew in his stubbornness until the Knicks get what's best for the team.

The Knicks are in the drivers seat

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy