[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We should just do the trade with Houston - Melo for Ryan Anderson and two first round picks
Author Thread
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
7/16/2017  4:13 PM
Houston will likely lose its 2018 First Round pick. Thus, the first pick they can give us is in 2020. We send them Melo for Ryan Anderson and a 2020 unprotected First Round Pick and a 2022 top-3 protected First Round Pick.

Ryan Anderson is not worth the money but he does add another 3pt shooter and other than KP, we don't have any big men who can shoot the 3, so it adds another dimension to our team. We instantly save about $4-$5 million on the cap this year and next year because Anderson makes less than Melo. The third year salary is a problem, but by then we may be able to trade the contract or buy him out and stretch the contract over three years. We then get an extra draft pick in 2020 and 2022 at a time when the Rockets could be in decline. It is exactly how Boston got all their draft picks, except that Houston admittedly probably will not be as bad as the Nets. This deal I think still helps the Knicks, and shows some good faith on the Knicks part is sending Melo to a good situation.

Unless Melo is willing to be reincorporated back into the team for the next two years, we should just do it and move on, but we would have to get two first round picks.

We should send management the message to just get the deal done.

Trust the Process
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2017  4:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2017  4:35 PM
We have little use for Anderson. We're basically paying $60 mil for 2 distant 1st round picks. No GM will do that. Those picks are 3 and 5 years away. That means probably 5 to 8 years before the players are peaking. If Dolan would give me an 8 year guarantee, I'd consider the deal, but I think it's too much to pay for the picks anyway. Cleveland's distant picks don't work either.
TheGame
USA
7/16/2017  4:56 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:We have little use for Anderson. We're basically paying $60 mil for 2 distant 1st round picks. No GM will do that. Those picks are 3 and 5 years away. That means probably 5 to 8 years before the players are peaking. If Dolan would give me an 8 year guarantee, I'd consider the deal, but I think it's too much to pay for the picks anyway. Cleveland's distant picks don't work either.

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20
Ryan Anderson $19,578,455 $20,421,546 $21,264,635
Carmelo Anthony $26,243,760 $27,928,140

Under the NBA trade rules, Houston would have to include one other minor expiring contract to make the deal work. We would save about $2 mill in year one (with the added expiring contract of another player), and $5-$7 mill in year two. In year three, we would have to pay $21,264,635. So we would essentially be paying about $11 million for two future draft picks, or about $5.5 million per pick. That is not a huge costs for the picks. In fact, depending on where the picks fall, that would be fair compensation for those picks. Plus, we would get those picks at a time when KP and Frank might be earning near max salary. Thus, we will need cheap labor to fill in the roster. We would get five first round picks over a three year period to restock our roster. So I disagree with the argument that the costs is too much. Both Noah and Ryan's deals will expire the same year, which will likely give us one, and possible two max salary spots that year with two first round draft picks and KP and Frank ready to really compete. To me, it makes sense. Is it the best deal, no? But given that Melo controls all the cards, it is the best deal we are likely to get in the foreseeable future.

Trust the Process
fwk00
Member: #6048

7/16/2017  5:00 PM
LMAO. Melo - trapped in a web of his own fecal devices. Burned D'Antoni. Burned Phil. Sent Porzingis down a road to ruin.

Makes NO ONE around him better.

Everyone will take him for dross. Everyone thinks of him as dross.

He is never going to Houston much as he wants to escape Lala. Stuck in NY where "he wants to be" and can't wait to leave.

Watching him circle the bowl is so appropriate.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/16/2017  5:02 PM
No way. Houston's picks are likely very late, almost like 2nd rounders. Better to let Melo expire than take on that albatross of a contract.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/16/2017  5:09 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:No way. Houston's picks are likely very late, almost like 2nd rounders. Better to let Melo expire than take on that albatross of a contract.

I agree. I also think Morey is incredibly crafty and will find away to make this work. It might be August, September but it will get done. Also, if the Knicks can get a third team added to the list I think Houston includes Gordon or Capella in a deal. Once one of those guys is a part of the trade I think it gets done.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/16/2017  7:08 PM
Part of me would be ok with taking on Anderson, and then planning to move him later. Yes - our front court gets crowded Noah, Anderson, Willy, KP.

But you figure it's easier to move him at a later date - less money and no NTC.

Sinix
Member: #7495

7/16/2017  7:53 PM
Why is a first rounder years down the line worth less than one now?

If anything I'd say it might be worth more because by 2022 the rockets might be as bad as the nets.

Bonn1997
USA
7/16/2017  8:00 PM
Sinix wrote:Why is a first rounder years down the line worth less than one now?

If anything I'd say it might be worth more because by 2022 the rockets might be as bad as the nets.

To patient fans, it's not worth less. To GMs/Presidents with limited time and owners looking to make profits, players who will be reaching their peak in 5 or 8 years are not worth that much.
Bonn1997
USA
7/16/2017  8:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2017  8:01 PM
franco12 wrote:Part of me would be ok with taking on Anderson, and then planning to move him later. Yes - our front court gets crowded Noah, Anderson, Willy, KP.

But you figure it's easier to move him at a later date - less money and no NTC.

If Anderson has trade value, we should be able to pull of a 3 team deal where he ends up somewhere else. If that can't be done now, then we likely can't move him for anything valuable later.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/17/2017  1:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  1:38 AM
All we need to do is find a third team to take Ryan Andersen in exchange for a cheaper albeit "bad" contract, for the deal to make sense. I think the Nets are that team and would take Andersen for Andrew Nicholson. Nicholson is somewhat expendable and they are both under contract for the next 3 years, meaning that the Nets would only have to pay $13 million per year for Andersen in effect. Ryan Andersen- a productive player- at $13 million per is fairly reasonable IMO. And the Knicks would obviously benefit in their own right by freeing themselves of +$25 million per year. I doubt we can get better than that and a firzt rounder from HOU. Maybe a pick swap or two but not much else.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yadflbst

dacash
Member: #1179

7/17/2017  2:30 AM
WOW SO THE FANS WANT HIM GONE SO THEY SENDING MESSAGES TO MANAGEMENT TO TAKE ANY OLD THING FOR HIM INSTEAD OF GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE DEAL FOR THE TEAM?
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/17/2017  4:58 AM
Absolutely not. Crazy- we'd have $40mil per year tied up in him and Noah. No way I am taking on salary longer than Melo's contract. Anderson will likely decline with each year of his contract, so thinking you can move him in a year or two is a bit naive, I think.
TheGame
USA
7/17/2017  5:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  5:58 AM
dacash wrote:WOW SO THE FANS WANT HIM GONE SO THEY SENDING MESSAGES TO MANAGEMENT TO TAKE ANY OLD THING FOR HIM INSTEAD OF GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE DEAL FOR THE TEAM?

First, getting two first round picks is not "any old thing" for Melo. Second, we have to deal with reality. The Knicks management created a toxic situation with Melo and if they cannot repair it, it is better to move on than let the problem linger all year. Now if Melo is willing to stay, then I have no problem with him staying and playing out his deal. But if he is adamant that he wants nothing to do with the Knicks, I think the team needs to man up to the situation they create and trade the guy as long as we can get a deal that makes some sense. Getting two first rounds makes sense and even if they are later in the draft, as we saw this year, you can always move up if you have extra picks. Plus there is a decent chance the pick in 2022 will be in the 12-18 range as Houston is not a young team, with Melo, Paul, Nene, and Ariza as major pieces.

Trust the Process
dacash
Member: #1179

7/17/2017  6:21 AM
TheGame wrote:
dacash wrote:WOW SO THE FANS WANT HIM GONE SO THEY SENDING MESSAGES TO MANAGEMENT TO TAKE ANY OLD THING FOR HIM INSTEAD OF GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE DEAL FOR THE TEAM?

First, getting two first round picks is not "any old thing" for Melo. Second, we have to deal with reality. The Knicks management created a toxic situation with Melo and if they cannot repair it, it is better to move on than let the problem linger all year. Now if Melo is willing to stay, then I have no problem with him staying and playing out his deal. But if he is adamant that he wants nothing to do with the Knicks, I think the team needs to man up to the situation they create and trade the guy as long as we can get a deal that makes some sense. Getting two first rounds makes sense and even if they are later in the draft, as we saw this year, you can always move up if you have extra picks. Plus there is a decent chance the pick in 2022 will be in the 12-18 range as Houston is not a young team, with Melo, Paul, Nene, and Ariza as major pieces.

if u wish to go on ifs theres lots of ifs we can go on , but after a year with ryan, nobody , especially the doom and gloom guys on this forum, will say the knicks made the right decision, just because your on the 2ndyd yard line does not mean you're gonna have a td , but if u regroup discuss and come up with a plan of action then who knows. instead of rushing .
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/17/2017  6:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  6:35 AM
I think the Knicks need to stand their ground. If we dont like any deals Houston is throwing at is we should no have to take them. Melo has to expand his list or honor his contact. If he Comes back disgruntled then we banish him. A stand needs to be taken. Melo is just a player and we owe him nothing. It's embarrassing that the organization and players all assume the Knicks are just going to take anything back. Melo was house hunting before a deal could be made? Now he's reportedly "heated". Oh well... expand your list or honor your contract. Play another year and opt out or waitto see what teams are willing to do at the deadline. The Knicks are in the driver's seat.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/17/2017  6:45 AM
EnySpree wrote:I think the Knicks need to stand their ground. If we dont like any deals Houston is throwing at is we should no have to take them. Melo has to expand his list or honor his contact. If he Comes back disgruntled then we banish him. A stand needs to be taken. Melo is just a player and we owe him nothing. It's embarrassing that the organization and players all assume the Knicks are just going to take anything back. Melo was house hunting before a deal could be made? Now he's reportedly "heated". Oh well... expand your list or honor your contract. Play another year and opt out or waitto see what teams are willing to do at the deadline. The Knicks are in the driver's seat.

6 years. He never once honored his contract, exactly why will it be different this time? He will take to the floor demand the ball, waste clock, slow down the offense and jack up bad shots. Then he will be upset we are not winning.

We keep him and he continues to poison the youth. We cut him and we have his cap hold for two years. We trade for RA we have cap hold for three years and a couple of draft picks. And whatever else RA does, he can shoot threes. At the end of year two maybe a moveable contract. Trading for him actually makes sense as long as we get picks. There's a lot of drama here about one extra year of cap hold, and it's mostly by the people who would rather have Melo stay.

Now, if we keep him and tell him to stay home then, OK. keep him by all means.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/17/2017  6:48 AM
Can't see Houston willing to give up two draft picks without protections like that.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/17/2017  7:11 AM
One unprotected and one top 3 protected, should be fine. They have to give up something if they want to win now.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Bonn1997
USA
7/17/2017  7:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2017  8:57 AM
TheGame wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:We have little use for Anderson. We're basically paying $60 mil for 2 distant 1st round picks. No GM will do that. Those picks are 3 and 5 years away. That means probably 5 to 8 years before the players are peaking. If Dolan would give me an 8 year guarantee, I'd consider the deal, but I think it's too much to pay for the picks anyway. Cleveland's distant picks don't work either.

2017/18 2018/19 2019/20
Ryan Anderson $19,578,455 $20,421,546 $21,264,635
Carmelo Anthony $26,243,760 $27,928,140

Under the NBA trade rules, Houston would have to include one other minor expiring contract to make the deal work. We would save about $2 mill in year one (with the added expiring contract of another player), and $5-$7 mill in year two. In year three, we would have to pay $21,264,635. So we would essentially be paying about $11 million for two future draft picks, or about $5.5 million per pick. That is not a huge costs for the picks. In fact, depending on where the picks fall, that would be fair compensation for those picks. Plus, we would get those picks at a time when KP and Frank might be earning near max salary. Thus, we will need cheap labor to fill in the roster. We would get five first round picks over a three year period to restock our roster. So I disagree with the argument that the costs is too much. Both Noah and Ryan's deals will expire the same year, which will likely give us one, and possible two max salary spots that year with two first round draft picks and KP and Frank ready to really compete. To me, it makes sense. Is it the best deal, no? But given that Melo controls all the cards, it is the best deal we are likely to get in the foreseeable future.

First, Melo may opt out. Second, despite the difficulties, I believe we can trade him for players that fit our roster rather than doing this trade. It will just require a lot of patience. So your trade would be $60 mil wasted compared to the option of trading for players who fit our team. And it's way too early to give up on that option. Your trade is a decent idea and this is a good thread though. I had thought about this option. I'm not trying to just trash your thread.
We should just do the trade with Houston - Melo for Ryan Anderson and two first round picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy