Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/16/2017  6:36 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:I mentioned a sign and trade for Nurkic upthread. Don't know if thats doable, but that could get us closer salary wise to Melo. Just how close the Knicks would want to go would be the next question. It could be an insurance policy in case KP wants to bolt. Having a tough big like Nurkic on the roster might make a good case for KP staying as well, if the Knicks start producing.

He's not a free agent.

So not doable at all.

He's been eligible to sign a contract extension with the Blazers since July 1. Not up on the rules regarding trading a player right after giving him an extension.

Nope.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q95

Bummer

AUTOADVERT
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

7/16/2017  6:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2017  6:40 PM
It's probably better to assume a few things.

Portland wants to ditch a bad contract on the Knicks

Knicks will be against it and want picks

Portland might be able to get more than a single 1st rounder

Portland also has okay'ish roster depth to trade to make salaries match

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/16/2017  6:48 PM
Portland wouldn't give up Nurkic...no way..no how.

The best we could hope for from a wing perspective would be a combo of Harkless/Aminu but I don't think Portland would add Aminu because that leaves them without a starting caliber SF to deal with guys like KD/K-Thompson.

The best player/player deal I would prefer would be Melo for Harkless/Aminu/Vonlay/Napier but I don't think Portland parts with Aminu...leaving them with no D at SF.

If we assume Harkless/Vonlay/Napier...the Blazers could add in E-Davis and the deal works and it leaves us with +$13M in expiring deals next summer (Vonlay/Napier/Davis)... so no long term damage. Harkless is 24, Vonlay 21, Napier 26 and Davis 28.

If we could get the Aminu deal would love that package.

Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
7/16/2017  8:22 PM
I'd trade Melo for Harkless and Crabbe and a 1st from Portland. Crabbe is a deadly 3 pt shooter which is what we need.

Then trade CLee and Randle to Phoenix for Brandon Knight and a pick.

Salaries all match. We get younger - all the incoming players are 24 or 25 yrs old and we lose our 30+ year olds.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/16/2017  8:26 PM
Markji wrote:I'd trade Melo for Harkless and Crabbe and a 1st from Portland. Crabbe is a deadly 3 pt shooter which is what we need.

Salaries all match. We get younger - all the incoming players are 24 or 25 yrs old and we lose our 30+ year olds.

Brandon Knight's age doesn't change the fact he is awful.

Markji
USA
7/16/2017  9:00 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:I'd trade Melo for Harkless and Crabbe and a 1st from Portland. Crabbe is a deadly 3 pt shooter which is what we need.

Brandon Knight trade is secondary if you don't like it. But he played well 2 yrs ago.
The main trade is Melo to Portland for Harkless and Crabbe and a 1st. If Melo agrees to the trade.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

7/16/2017  9:40 PM
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Brandon Knight trade is secondary if you don't like it. But he played well 2 yrs ago.
The main trade is Melo to Portland for Harkless and Crabbe and a 1st. If Melo agrees to the trade.

Brandon Knight didn't play well 2 years ago. He played a lot on a team that shot a lot two years ago.

Harkless and Crabbe is worse. You're trading in Melo's 2 years for their 3.

LivingLegend

7/16/2017  10:29 PM

If Portland wants Melo -- I don't think we should be taking on that huge 3rd year for Crabbe but if we do...the pick better be unprotected (or very limited protection) and we should also get another young asset like say Vonlay (21).

LivingLegend

7/16/2017  10:31 PM
I can't judge Knight in Phoenix when they forced him off the ball 50% of the time.

He was very solid (not great) on both sides of the ball for 3-4 years prior to PHX and then they move him off the ball and his stats go in the tank.

wargames
Member: #6053

7/16/2017  10:33 PM
LivingLegend wrote:Portland wouldn't give up Nurkic...no way..no how.

The best we could hope for from a wing perspective would be a combo of Harkless/Aminu but I don't think Portland would add Aminu because that leaves them without a starting caliber SF to deal with guys like KD/K-Thompson.

The best player/player deal I would prefer would be Melo for Harkless/Aminu/Vonlay/Napier but I don't think Portland parts with Aminu...leaving them with no D at SF.

If we assume Harkless/Vonlay/Napier...the Blazers could add in E-Davis and the deal works and it leaves us with +$13M in expiring deals next summer (Vonlay/Napier/Davis)... so no long term damage. Harkless is 24, Vonlay 21, Napier 26 and Davis 28.

If we could get the Aminu deal would love that package.

I would demand a pick as well. Added to that it's not a bad deal.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
LivingLegend

7/16/2017  10:41 PM
Was Brandon Knight really that bad outside of last season when Suns moved him to the bench to make room for Bledsoe/Booker backcourt?

In 15/16 he shot 42/34/85 (not great)....but he was also 20/5/4.

His primary problem and I'm not sure if it was system required but his 3-point attempts rose to nearly 7 attempts per game...maybe because they moved him off the ball more.

I think this guy is better than many think. He was at one time - prior to PHX.

Markji
USA
7/16/2017  10:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2017  10:43 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Brandon Knight didn't play well 2 years ago. He played a lot on a team that shot a lot two years ago.

Here is another quote from you on this thread

I'm failing to see where an attractive $26m+ comes back from Portland, alone.
Harkless and Nurkic doesn't even get you 1/2 way there.

Yet above I said Harkless ($9.66 mil) and Crabbe ($18.5 mil) , well that equals $28.16 mil. The trade works! Both players are just coming into their prime and they are tied up for 3 yrs (Harkless) and 2 years + player option(Crabbe). That is a plus, IMO. That is not bad!

Last year Crabbe shot 44.4% from 3 pt. Crabbe was 2nd in the entire NBA last year in 3 pt shooting. Why are you saying getting Crabbe and Harkless is worse?? You are just negative on anything anyone writes about a trade with Portland. Research and backup your comments. I would love this trade if Perry could pull it off.

LivingLegend

7/16/2017  10:45 PM
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Yet above I said Harkless ($9.66 mil) and Crabbe ($18.5 mil) , well that equals $28.16 mil. The trade works! Both players are just coming into their prime and they are tied up for 3 yrs (Harkless) and 2 years + player option(Crabbe). That is a plus, IMO. That is not bad!

Last year Crabbe shot 44.4% from 3 pt. Crabbe was 2nd in the entire NBA last year in 3 pt shooting. Why are you saying getting Crabbe and Harkless is worse?? You are just negative on anything anyone writes about a trade with Portland. Research and backup your comments. I would love this trade if Perry could pull it off.

Crabbe deal is considered huge overpay and has 3 years left.

reub
Member: #6227

7/16/2017  10:46 PM
Hornacek coached Knight so we should have the best scouting on him that's possible.

But I still believe that there's no way that Melo accepts a trade to Portland. It'll have to be Houston or Cleveland.

LivingLegend

7/16/2017  10:51 PM
reub wrote:Hornacek coached Knight so we should have the best scouting on him that's possible.

But I still believe that there's no way that Melo accepts a trade to Portland. It'll have to be Houston or Cleveland.

But if we do need a PG ....we could work directly with Phoenix maybe using Lee to get Knight and potentially a pick. Lee would at least offset $12Mof Knights $15M deal over same 3 year period and we get younger. Not sure if PHX would value Lee as high given Booker will start at SG for them but he would be solid vet bench shooter and Knight makes us younger...could rebound in NY

Markji
USA
7/16/2017  10:54 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Re: Crabbe overpay. Yes. But so was Melo's contract extension at the max, especially with a NTC. All of the salaries in the NBA are rising. Hardaway Jr - overpay. Ron Baker - overpay. Langston Galloway - Detroit 3 yrs $21 mil = overpay. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The 3 point shot has become a mainstay in the modern offense. Hornacek runs a wide open offence which utilizes and needs 3 pt shooters. We don't have any which is why we were so eager to sign THJ. Crabbe would be a good addition and he is only 25 yrs old. Same age as THJ.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/16/2017  11:16 PM
Markji wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Re: Crabbe overpay. Yes. But so was Melo's contract extension at the max, especially with a NTC. All of the salaries in the NBA are rising. Hardaway Jr - overpay. Ron Baker - overpay. Langston Galloway - Detroit 3 yrs $21 mil = overpay. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The 3 point shot has become a mainstay in the modern offense. Hornacek runs a wide open offence which utilizes and needs 3 pt shooters. We don't have any which is why we were so eager to sign THJ. Crabbe would be a good addition and he is only 25 yrs old. Same age as THJ.

I think there are some things built into Crabbe's deal that make it even worse then just the money because it was poison pill deal. I am not sure but it might have a trade kicker and other undesirable things built in.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/16/2017  11:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2017  11:37 PM
Markji wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Markji wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

I remember reading something from Pelton that said Crabbe was decent guarding shooting guards bad awful guarding 3s. That explained why the Blazers were hesitant keeping him on the court with McCollum and Lilliard for long stretches. Looking at 82games, his defense remained the same at both wing positions, but his production suffered a bit as a 3.If that remains the case, then Crabbe makes absolutely no sense with Hardaway on the team.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

7/17/2017  9:00 AM
reub wrote:Melo is not going to Portland. Why are Portland trades still coming up?
We need for Lebron to show some more interest in him to raise his value. I would trade Melo to the Cavs for two future firsts (2020 and 2022?) because they will be lottery picks.

Have to agree this makes sense (in the Boston<->NJ type of way). We'd be delaying gratitude until we collect in those drafts, but would be sweet over time.

JabStepDagger7
Member: #7497

7/17/2017  10:51 AM
No way Melo wants to go to Portland
Now Portland wants to trade for Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy