[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm
Author Thread
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
7/7/2017  5:34 PM
I look at this signing as a way to get younger at sg. Lee's a pretty good player, but he's 31. If Atlanta doesn't match, the Knicks will look to move Lee.
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/7/2017  5:40 PM
The question is if THj is there, then why would the Hawks not match.
They know him even better than us, regarding those 3 months.

At 10$M this move is easy decision.
At 17$M and a trade kicker, this is very tough.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/7/2017  5:44 PM
The trade kicker is the poison pill to the deal like morey did with us for Lin.

Mills knew atl was going to match any deal there really high on thjr. Without that trade kicker atl matches for sure but not now . With that said they gave baze 16.5 mil a year and Timmy is the better player hands down.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/7/2017  5:47 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
nixluva wrote:What the Knicks were likely looking at is how THJ progressed and in particular when he started getting starter minutes.

DATE MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
February 31.4 6.1-13.3 .459 2.5-6.4 .386 2.8-3.3 .861 3.9 2.4 0.3 0.6 1.0 1.5 17.5
March 32.3 6.4-13.5 .472 2.1-5.9 .362 3.4-3.9 .857 2.9 2.6 0.2 1.1 1.5 1.8 18.3
April 33.0 6.7-13.2 .506 2.0-4.8 .414 2.8-3.7 .773 5.3 3.8 0.0 0.3 1.8 1.8 18.2

They're taking a gamble that he's about to take the next step in his career to a legit starter level.

I'd say that's a pretty good gamble !

You've gotta step up when it's a RFA that's still young and getting better. How else are you gonna steal that kind of player from his team? ATL can't play around if they feel THJ is gonna be a legit starter then they'll match this big deal, but if they have any doubt then they probably won't. Knicks didn't half step this one.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/7/2017  5:59 PM
nixluva wrote:
You've gotta step up when it's a RFA that's still young and getting better. How else are you gonna steal that kind of player from his team? ATL can't play around if they feel THJ is gonna be a legit starter then they'll match this big deal, but if they have any doubt then they probably won't. Knicks didn't half step this one.

Half-steppin' or oversteppin' Big Daddy Nix? THJ is going to have to play like a starter from day one to justify this deal. I hope he does.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/7/2017  6:05 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:The question is if THj is there, then why would the Hawks not match.

That's all there is to it. After years of overpaying for straight up garbage Knicks fans have been completely desensitized. Every starfukk or in this case plain old fukk since this guy isn't even a star leads to miles of posts spinning this into some positive jedi mind trick. THEN they get mad when it doesn't work. Knicks fans - meh

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/7/2017  6:13 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The question is if THj is there, then why would the Hawks not match.

That's all there is to it. After years of overpaying for straight up garbage Knicks fans have been completely desensitized. Every starfukk or in this case plain old fukk since this guy isn't even a star leads to miles of posts spinning this into some positive jedi mind trick. THEN they get mad when it doesn't work. Knicks fans - meh

If THJ continues to improve and plays at the level he did once he was starting, then he's going to help this team. He's just one piece and we have to wait and see what else they do with the roster. It's a good young base the Knicks are putting together. This is a process. You can't expect miracles. There's no short cuts this time. Gotta develop these young players into STARS.
fitzfarm

7/7/2017  6:15 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

lol I'll say this again crabbe<Timmy bazemore<Timmy turner<Timmy all those guys are making just as much and are not the player timmy is, timmys a lot better. Again this is just the nyk media making a downpour over a few rain drops...

Sinix
Member: #7495

7/7/2017  6:17 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

lol I'll say this again crabbe<Timmy bazemore<Timmy turner<Timmy all those guys are making just as much and are not the player timmy is, timmys a lot better. Again this is just the nyk media making a downpour over a few rain drops...

Why would you even use those guys as examples? Their deals are horrendous and their teams regret them. Just like we inevitably will too.

GustavBahler

7/7/2017  6:18 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

More like 71 million raindrops over 4 years. Fans have every reason to be skeptical.

fitzfarm

7/7/2017  6:34 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

More like 71 million raindrops over 4 years. Fans have every reason to be skeptical.

How come the NBA world didn't freak out when crabbe signed a bigger contract then thjr' offer? How come the NBA world didn't freak out when turner signed a huge contract or bazemore ? All players that are not the talent that thjr is?

meloshouldgo

7/7/2017  6:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  6:45 PM
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

If THJ continues to improve and plays at the level he did once he was starting, then he's going to help this team. He's just one piece and we have to wait and see what else they do with the roster. It's a good young base the Knicks are putting together. This is a process. You can't expect miracles. There's no short cuts this time. Gotta develop these young players into STARS.

If you honestly believe I am looking for miracles, there's nothing else to discuss. Have we never before seen players go crazy one their contract year only to revert to their mean? How many examples would you like? He played well for a few games so we overpay by 25 million? Where does this stop? If Melo had a good Season should we sign him for 300 mil and pretend the last 6 years didn't happen?

fitzfarm

7/7/2017  6:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2017  6:54 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

How come the NBA world didn't freak out when crabbe signed a bigger contract then thjr' offer? How come the NBA world didn't freak out when turner signed a huge contract or bazemore ? All players that are not the talent that thjr is?

Exactly no response, it just shows how the media picks on us cause it keeps there ratings up

meloshouldgo

7/7/2017  6:59 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exactly no response, it just shows how the media picks on us cause it keeps there ratings up

Who are you talking to and what are you asking? Why do you expect us to tell you why the idiot media does or doesn't do something, what would that prove?

fitzfarm

7/7/2017  7:04 PM
lol I guess the blazers get a pass for 75 million and 70 million for crabbe and turner there such a good franchise lol can't talk **** about them lol oh those hawks gave bazemore 70mil thee so smart lol come on man thjr is better then all of those guys... the media wouldn't even flinch if the hawks gave him that contract. As a matter of fact they would prob congratulate them for keeping there young talent ...

The media gets paid to **** on the knicks

GustavBahler

7/7/2017  7:09 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

THJ would be getting starter money after a very brief run as an effective bench player. After the Hawks put him through hell to put up those numbers, briefly. Dont believe THJ played well enough, long enough, to bring him back for that kind of money on a rebuilding team.

Don't believe you give that kind of a deal to anyone if you are planning to step aside as GM. Rasputin could learn something from Mills.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/7/2017  7:38 PM
Paris907 wrote:Money is flying In the league ... as much as didn't like him previously, he's matured. Does he play D? His 14.5ppg will improve. At 25 he's prime and that's the price of rice. Ask Otto Porter or JJ reddick who got $23mm for 1 year.

id rather pay him 25 million for 1 year

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
fitzfarm

7/7/2017  7:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

THJ would be getting starter money after a very brief run as an effective bench player. After the Hawks put him through hell to put up those numbers, briefly. Dont believe THJ played well enough, long enough, to bring him back for that kind of money on a rebuilding team.

Don't believe you give that kind of a deal to anyone if you are planning to step aside as GM. Rasputin could learn something from Mills.

Thjr was the starter he earned it halfway through the year. Turner was never a starter he got 70 mil to be a bench player, same for crabbe at 75, Kent bazemore who makes 70 mil lost minutes to timmy .

Timmy is getting starter money to be our starter he's still developing at 25 ... I'm not saying we got a deal for thjr we definitely are taking a risk but the guy was lights out for the second half of the season . He turned the corner for sure on both ends of the court. And with lower talent like bazemore,crabbe, and turner getting the same or more $ this shouldn't be a shock .

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/7/2017  7:43 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

Mills overpaid so Atlanta would not match.
He did it after Waiters rejected his offer.
They want a starting level 2 guard that can give 15 points a night to pair with Ntilikina in the backcourt longterm. 25 and younger is what they want.

After Waiters, next best option was Hardaway.

The money does suck. I agree. It's a huge risk. I hope Atlanta matches, but I like we went after a guy that is young on the upswing or upward slope of his career vs going for Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee, Brandon Jennings who are on the downward trend of their careers.

My point is why, Hardaway Jr. doesn't make the Knicks better. So what if he is 25, you can't kill cap flexibility with a player that doesn't help you win games

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/7/2017  7:59 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:95% of Knicks fans thinks the deal was dumb 100% of Atlanta fans agree.

Dion Waiters got 50mm and Hardaway 71

No way to chew it--my bet is fans will have a quick buyers remorse and well be discussing how to get rid of Hardaways contract in 2 years.

Mills overpaid so Atlanta would not match.
He did it after Waiters rejected his offer.
They want a starting level 2 guard that can give 15 points a night to pair with Ntilikina in the backcourt longterm. 25 and younger is what they want.

After Waiters, next best option was Hardaway.

The money does suck. I agree. It's a huge risk. I hope Atlanta matches, but I like we went after a guy that is young on the upswing or upward slope of his career vs going for Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee, Brandon Jennings who are on the downward trend of their careers.

My point is why, Hardaway Jr. doesn't make the Knicks better. So what if he is 25, you can't kill cap flexibility with a player that doesn't help you win games

That's my point. Why bother trading Melo? If this our big move for the summer, then it was failure. Regaining cap flexibility was part of the rebuilding movement. Fine, we have THjr. What's next? Our cap space is gone, so the only next step is to trade Willy or Frank. I don't think Mills will go that route, but what do I know? We're back in limbo. This has nothing to do with Tim. He improved and I'm happy. This is about how we use our assets, including cap space. THjr isn't a short term need. I know, we still need to see how this plays out, but this is the Knicks. Mills and the rest of the organization needs to earn our trust.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
lord have mercy... Knicks sign Hardaway Jr to an offer sheet worth almost $80mm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy