[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who Was Better For the Franchise, Phil or Isiah?
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
6/28/2017  11:47 AM
Just marinating on the news, and the resulting story lines.
Uncle Phil never wanted the job.
Money cannot buy happiness.
Somewhere, Kristaps is lifting weights.
Hermangomez just called him with the news.
Some things are better left in the past.
once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/28/2017  12:08 PM
I'd say Phil.

Isiah took a bland team with draft picks a good coach and cap space and turned it into a continued mess.
Botched Chaney firing on national TV, Wilkens hire was from humiliation, Larry Brown debacle and his own inept coaching.
Won 23 games with a payroll that was 48% higher than the second highest payroll!! 119 million!!!!!
Then, he traded two lottery picks for Eddy.
Trevor Ariza for Steve Francis. Might have been Larry's request, but he was in charge.

With phil, the franchise is in better shape then when he was hired. We have our picks going forward, have two young front court studs and perhaps our PG of the future.
We also have a very good coach. Phil tore it down and only Noah is the worst mistake he has made.

Question is can Jeff make it work with Melo for at least one more year?

dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

6/28/2017  12:17 PM
phil, we still have assets
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/28/2017  12:20 PM
Phil by far. He had vision for the future. Most couldn't get past his deals but his approach to development of young players will help the next GM to trade it all away.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/28/2017  12:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2017  12:25 PM
Phil by far. He left the next President in very good shape. Healthy cap, every draft pick, young prospects, and a young franchise player to build around.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/28/2017  12:29 PM
Nalod wrote:I'd say Phil.

Isiah took a bland team with draft picks a good coach and cap space and turned it into a continued mess.
Botched Chaney firing on national TV, Wilkens hire was from humiliation, Larry Brown debacle and his own inept coaching.
Won 23 games with a payroll that was 48% higher than the second highest payroll!! 119 million!!!!!
Trevor Ariza for Steve Francis. Might have been Larry's request, but he was in charge.

With phil, the franchise is in better shape then when he was hired. We have our picks going forward, have two young front court studs and perhaps our PG of the future.
We also have a very good coach. Phil tore it down and only Noah is the worst mistake he has made.

I'd agree. The only point I would make about Isiah was I think he was a lot better at judging talent in the draft. Trevor Ariza, David Lee, Channing Frye, Nate Robinson- all guys that turned out pretty good in the years after.

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
6/28/2017  12:44 PM
If the Knicks were smart, they'd hire David Griffin as GM and Mark Jackson as Coach.
- Matt Murphy
once a knick always a knick
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/28/2017  12:48 PM
franco12 wrote:
Nalod wrote:I'd say Phil.

I'd agree. The only point I would make about Isiah was I think he was a lot better at judging talent in the draft. Trevor Ariza, David Lee, Channing Frye, Nate Robinson- all guys that turned out pretty good in the years after.

Have to wait on this, since KP, Willy, Frank, Dotson, etc. have not had a chance to develop.

Maybe you can make your comment in 5 years...But now?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/28/2017  12:53 PM
Phil was better just by showing up, 17 win season aside.

IT hasn't shown he would be better for anything. Unless you're an attorney.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/28/2017  1:12 PM
Phil hands down better. Young talent and still has cap space and future picks. The next GM comes in with a MUCH better starting place. What new GM won't want to take this job with young talent already in place???
Sinix
Member: #7495

6/28/2017  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2017  1:16 PM
Well lets see-

Isiah- left us in muck and mire for years after he was gone. And then he was a gift that kept giving with Dolan trying to bring him back mixed with sexual harassment cases. Stuck with a team of no cap room because its spent on Murbury/Francis and many future draft picks traded away for Eddy Curry. No good young talent on the team besides a young David Lee.

Phil- Left us with multiple young growing players in Kristaps, Willy and Frank. We also have all of our draft picks going forward.

WTF @ this question.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
6/28/2017  3:20 PM
Isiah

I think he had the right pieces just not the right coaches and, of course, the Eddy Curry trade was a mess. That one really set things back but I believe (with no proof) that was more to try and please Dolan.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/28/2017  3:23 PM
misterearl wrote:If the Knicks were smart, they'd hire David Griffin as GM and Mark Jackson as Coach.
- Matt Murphy

Did Griffin draft Bennet #1 or was that someone else?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Sinix

6/28/2017  3:27 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
misterearl wrote:If the Knicks were smart, they'd hire David Griffin as GM and Mark Jackson as Coach.
- Matt Murphy

I'm not sure why Griffin is respected.

His team was bad enough post lebron to be lucky enough to draft kyrie #1 then they were bad enough to get the Wiggins pick which they traded for love. Then lebron resigned which had nothing to do with griffin.

Griffin is responsible for them being stacked with bad contracts now. The Tristan Thomas deal. Signing jr and schump to long term deals. Then he made a bunch of bad deals this past season then ended up flailing. Deron.... korver....

Not sure what Griffin has done that is worthy of any praise whatsoever.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/28/2017  3:36 PM
Sinix wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
- Matt Murphy

His team was bad enough post lebron to be lucky enough to draft kyrie #1 then they were bad enough to get the Wiggins pick which they traded for love. Then lebron resigned which had nothing to do with griffin.

Griffin is responsible for them being stacked with bad contracts now. The Tristan Thomas deal. Signing jr and schump to long term deals. Then he made a bunch of bad deals this past season then ended up flailing. Deron.... korver....

Lebron had more to do with that other stuff. But prior to Bron that was all Griffin?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Sinix

6/28/2017  3:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2017  3:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Sinix wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
- Matt Murphy

Lebron had more to do with that other stuff. But prior to Bron that was all Griffin?

IDK but the point is Kyrie wasn't Griffin. Neither was getting Love. Neither was getting Lebron back.

So what has Griffin done to get him acclaim as a top exec?

The moves I've seen are the poor ones that Lebron pressured him to make.

reub
Member: #6227

6/28/2017  3:44 PM
Some of us are old enough to remember that Phil was a player on our last two championship teams. He was and is loved by those who saw him play so hard. We also remember how he turned around teams with great talent that couldn't win until he got there and straightened them out. We also appreciate how he came to run the Knicks when we had virtually no draft picks because our previous GMs sacrificed our future in stupid trades. Phil has kept and added draft picks and has added KP, Willy and Frank, 3 pieces of a future championship team. We have all of our draft picks going forward. Thanks, Phil!
reub
Member: #6227

6/28/2017  4:02 PM
Phil is barely gone and we're talking about giving up draft picks for his replacement and signing Jeff Teague. As I said Phil haters, be careful what you wish for.
VCoug
Member: #1406

6/28/2017  5:38 PM
I hated Phil but he was way better than Isiah and it's not even close.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/28/2017  5:41 PM
- Matt Murphy

That would be interesting. Windhorst just said the Magic gave up a 2nd round pick to get Ujiri's assistant so he doesn't think Ujiri is leaving Toronto.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Who Was Better For the Franchise, Phil or Isiah?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy