[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo has been angling for a buy-out for a while now
Author Thread
Sinix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7495

6/27/2017  3:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2017  3:47 PM
When you've watched Melo for so long you kind of learn how to read between the lines with him.

Melo has known since probably early last season he was done as a Knick and has been playing a PR game where he has tried to paint himself as a victim to Phil and The Knicks abuse. He wants to create a narrative where he is so much a victim it becomes a public viewpoint that it's the moral move for the Knicks to buy him out.

So Melo has been subtly undermining the front office. He signed a very large contract talking about embracing the triangle and more ball movement. He does the opposite and when he gets a reaction out of the front office, he paints himself as a victim.

He's mailed it in on the Knicks and now he is trying to get what he can from the organization before he bolts.

Honestly I think a lot of these passive aggressive mind games are what George Karl was referencing when he talked about his lack of character as a leader. We should revisit some quotes by George Karl:

"He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it."

“I want as much effort on defense — maybe more — as on offense,” Karl penned. “That was never going to happen with Melo, whose amazing ability to score with the ball made him a star but didn’t make him a winner.

“He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense,” he continued. “He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn’t lead the Nuggets, even though he said he wanted to. Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude. I’d have to try to figure him out, too. How could I get more from him?”

He was such a talented kid. If he’d decided to lead the league in rebounding, or to become the best defender at his position in the NBA, he could have done either one.

But Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money, and no father to show them how to act like a man."

"Our main problem was that he liked to separate himself from our team. A player can talk back to me, we can argue, but that’s between us. One player is a lot less important than how everyone performs together. I don’t think Melo cared enough about being a good teammate.

But he got away with some **** over the years because he made All-Star teams and averaged 24-6-3 (points, rebounds, assists). His incidents were spaced out, so listing them here may make them sound worse than they were. If all my screwups were compressed into one paragraph, I’d look pretty bad, too, but Melo had a pattern of bad judgment.

He got a DUI; he got busted at the airport for having a bag of weed in his backpack; he got in a bar fight; he got suspended for fifteen games for punching a Knick during our infamous brawl in 2006. And he did a Kenyon when he refused to go back into the last minute or two in a game on the road against the Pistons. That didn’t make his coach too happy.

But his real WTF moment occurred in March 2009 in the third quarter of a game against the Pacers. Carmelo had not scored much all night but then made two in a row. It was time for him to come out for a rest so I sent in his backup, Linas Kleiza, as I usually did. At the next dead ball, LK went in. But Carmelo refused to come out! After long moments of people staring at each other in confusion, but before we got a technical foul for having too many men on the court, Kenyon, to his credit, walked to the bench.

Well, well, well. Here was a new wrinkle in the coach/player power struggle, one I’d never seen before. It was also an incredible F-U to me. We suspended him for the next game.

After the game, which we lost 100–94, I had to talk to the media about it. Should I show my disgust at Melo’s childishness and lack of respect? No. I tried to be calm and understanding of behavior I couldn’t understand at all. So I swallowed my tongue. “There’s a thin line between passion and emotional immaturity,” I said. “It happens all the time, to coaches, too. We snap and act like idiots on the sideline because of the emotional stress of the game.”

The positive side of this incident was that it embarrassed Carmelo. He played harder and better for a while. Not coincidentally, we made a deep playoff run."

now quotes many years later from Mike D'antoni-

“(Carmelo and I) don’t have a bad relationship. I speak to him. He’s a good guy,” D’Antoni, who coached Anthony as an assistant with Team USA, said last year on The Vertical podcast. “But I had one vision that I wanted him to play one way. He wanted to go the other way. I couldn’t get to my way.”

-----

“Anthony said the team needed to choose between him and D’Antoni.”

“I just went in and quit,” D’Antoni said.

-----

These aren't guys who just coached him here or there. There were coaches for almost his whole prime. Notice the pattern in what they are saying here? That now Phil is saying as well? Also consider D'antoni rarely has a negative word about anyone. For him to bring up Melo insubordination is big.

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/27/2017  3:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2017  3:46 PM
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Stein reporting that Melo is trying to negotiate a buyout. Knicks are resisting.

We better not buy him out. He made us give away a ton of assets to get him so if he is going to another team we better be getting something in return. I would rather sit him than buy him out.

No, he didn't.

Yes he did. He did not want to wait until the end of the season because if he signed with us then he would make less money than if we traded for him. That is why the Nets came into the equation near the trade deadline. He would have rather gone to them instead of waiting to come to us at the end of the season.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/08/retrospective-carmelo-anthony.html
The relevant section

"Anthony pushed for the trade during the 2010/11 season primarily because of the new CBA in the works that would reduce the maximum contract amount he would be able to re-sign for. With the labor agreement ending June 30th, 2011, and uncertainty surrounding what the next pact would look like, it was in Anthony’s best financial interests to sign an extension as part of an extend-and-trade transaction with the Knicks rather than wait for free agency."

The Knicks still,are the ones who,made the decision to trade for him. Knicks did have the power to pull the plug on the deal and look to go another direction.

Just like Carmelo can't force the Knicks to waive or buy him out today. Melo is allowed to look out for his best interest. And the Knicks are allowed to look out for theirs. Knicks must start outting themselves in position to start taking care of their own best interest.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

6/27/2017  3:46 PM
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Stein reporting that Melo is trying to negotiate a buyout. Knicks are resisting.

We better not buy him out. He made us give away a ton of assets to get him so if he is going to another team we better be getting something in return. I would rather sit him than buy him out.

No, he didn't.

Yes he did. He did not want to wait until the end of the season because if he signed with us then he would make less money than if we traded for him. That is why the Nets came into the equation near the trade deadline. He would have rather gone to them instead of waiting to come to us at the end of the season.

The relevant section

"Anthony pushed for the trade during the 2010/11 season primarily because of the new CBA in the works that would reduce the maximum contract amount he would be able to re-sign for. With the labor agreement ending June 30th, 2011, and uncertainty surrounding what the next pact would look like, it was in Anthony’s best financial interests to sign an extension as part of an extend-and-trade transaction with the Knicks rather than wait for free agency."

I'm aware of all that, which is accurate.

What people forget or what they never knew is what they got back in the trade and their cap situation heading into that offseason. Knicks could not have kept Gallo and Chandler and Mozgov and signed Melo as a free agent.

People don't seem to know or understand this.

newyorknewyork
6/27/2017  3:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2017  3:58 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:

No, he didn't.

The relevant section

What people forget or what they never knew is what they got back in the trade and their cap situation heading into that offseason. Knicks could not have kept Gallo and Chandler and Mozgov and signed Melo as a free agent.

Yea but there is ways around that. Like what we did with David Lee in order to habe money available for FA(Amare). Sign and trade them for future draft picks. Well in Lee's case prospect Anthony Randolph. Walsh should have got a lottery pick for Lee at the draft in hindsight.

But we were going into a lockout. So Melo trying to secure his money without knowing what will happen after the lockout was logical on his end.

Knickoftime

6/27/2017  4:09 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:

No, he didn't.

The relevant section

Yea but there is ways around that. Like what we did with David Lee in order to habe money available for FA(Amare). Sign and trade them for future draft picks. Well in Lee's case prospect Anthony Randolph. Walsh should have got a lottery pick for Lee at the draft in hindsight.

No, really no.

Wilson Chandler was a RFA.

People always also forget what the Knicks got back in the deal. They got a better PG than they had.

Billups contract also gave them an cap option that otherwise wouldn't have had to acquire who at the time was another significant player (Tyson Chandler). People also forget they got back (and immediately released) a player that has gone onto a better career than Mozgov (Brewer).

That's not even counting the fact the Knicks wanted to be better THAT year. They didn't want to wait until the next season, which is why they made the trade.

I'm well versed in the cap implications and the math. The idea that they could have had their Melo and eat it too is mostly urban legend fueled by resentment and misunderstanding of the cap implications and conjecture about best case scenarios that have solidified in peoples minds as likely occurrences.

newyorknewyork
6/27/2017  4:24 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:

No, he didn't.

The relevant section

No, really no.

People always also forget what the Knicks got back in the deal. They got a better PG than they had.

Billups contract also gave them an cap option that otherwise wouldn't have had to acquire who at the time was another significant player (Tyson Chandler). People also forget they got back (and immediately released) a player that has gone onto a better career than Mozgov (Brewer).

That's not even counting the fact the Knicks wanted to be better THAT year. They didn't want to wait until the next season, which is why they made the trade.

I'm well versed in the cap implications and the math. The idea that they could have had their Melo and eat it too is mostly urban legend fueled by resentment and misunderstanding of the cap implications and conjecture about best case scenarios that have solidified in peoples minds as likely occurrences.

Yea, I'm not that versed in the cap implications if he was signed as a free agent. I dont see how its not possible to have traded Chandler and others at the draft or in FA for future picks in order to have the cap space to sign Melo in FA.

I still dont blame Melo for looking to be traded before the lockout. Knicks wantimg to be better immediately doesnt make it a sound trade though. Amare and Melo werent guaranteed to fit together. MDAs style wasnt guaranteed to work with that combination.The desire to make things happen right away has ended up biting them in the a as every single time.

And even if we had to renounce the rights of all these players in order to sign Melo. We still would have been able to keep the picks that we added to the trade. Not saying this is what Melo should have done.

Knickoftime

6/27/2017  4:48 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Clean wrote:

No, he didn't.

The relevant section

No, really no.

Yea, I'm not that versed in the cap implications if he was signed as a free agent. I dont see how its not possible to have traded Chandler and others at the draft or in FA for future picks in order to have the cap space to sign Melo in FA.

Because you can't trade a player who will be a restricted free agent (any FA, really) after the deadline. Mozgov had little value. He was a throw-in. Trading Gallinari would still have presented a cap issue because of Chandler's cap hold, if the idea was to sign Melo and then give Chandler, another small forward, a free agent deal.

The point is, at the end of the day the effective differences between the trade and free agency is much less than the legend that has grown since.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

6/27/2017  5:03 PM
Sinix wrote:When you've watched Melo for so long you kind of learn how to read between the lines with him.

Melo has known since probably early last season he was done as a Knick and has been playing a PR game where he has tried to paint himself as a victim to Phil and The Knicks abuse. He wants to create a narrative where he is so much a victim it becomes a public viewpoint that it's the moral move for the Knicks to buy him out.

So Melo has been subtly undermining the front office. He signed a very large contract talking about embracing the triangle and more ball movement. He does the opposite and when he gets a reaction out of the front office, he paints himself as a victim.

He's mailed it in on the Knicks and now he is trying to get what he can from the organization before he bolts.

Honestly I think a lot of these passive aggressive mind games are what George Karl was referencing when he talked about his lack of character as a leader. We should revisit some quotes by George Karl:

"He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it."

“I want as much effort on defense — maybe more — as on offense,” Karl penned. “That was never going to happen with Melo, whose amazing ability to score with the ball made him a star but didn’t make him a winner.

“He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense,” he continued. “He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn’t lead the Nuggets, even though he said he wanted to. Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude. I’d have to try to figure him out, too. How could I get more from him?”

He was such a talented kid. If he’d decided to lead the league in rebounding, or to become the best defender at his position in the NBA, he could have done either one.

But Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money, and no father to show them how to act like a man."

"Our main problem was that he liked to separate himself from our team. A player can talk back to me, we can argue, but that’s between us. One player is a lot less important than how everyone performs together. I don’t think Melo cared enough about being a good teammate.

But he got away with some **** over the years because he made All-Star teams and averaged 24-6-3 (points, rebounds, assists). His incidents were spaced out, so listing them here may make them sound worse than they were. If all my screwups were compressed into one paragraph, I’d look pretty bad, too, but Melo had a pattern of bad judgment.

He got a DUI; he got busted at the airport for having a bag of weed in his backpack; he got in a bar fight; he got suspended for fifteen games for punching a Knick during our infamous brawl in 2006. And he did a Kenyon when he refused to go back into the last minute or two in a game on the road against the Pistons. That didn’t make his coach too happy.

But his real WTF moment occurred in March 2009 in the third quarter of a game against the Pacers. Carmelo had not scored much all night but then made two in a row. It was time for him to come out for a rest so I sent in his backup, Linas Kleiza, as I usually did. At the next dead ball, LK went in. But Carmelo refused to come out! After long moments of people staring at each other in confusion, but before we got a technical foul for having too many men on the court, Kenyon, to his credit, walked to the bench.

Well, well, well. Here was a new wrinkle in the coach/player power struggle, one I’d never seen before. It was also an incredible F-U to me. We suspended him for the next game.

After the game, which we lost 100–94, I had to talk to the media about it. Should I show my disgust at Melo’s childishness and lack of respect? No. I tried to be calm and understanding of behavior I couldn’t understand at all. So I swallowed my tongue. “There’s a thin line between passion and emotional immaturity,” I said. “It happens all the time, to coaches, too. We snap and act like idiots on the sideline because of the emotional stress of the game.”

The positive side of this incident was that it embarrassed Carmelo. He played harder and better for a while. Not coincidentally, we made a deep playoff run."

“(Carmelo and I) don’t have a bad relationship. I speak to him. He’s a good guy,” D’Antoni, who coached Anthony as an assistant with Team USA, said last year on The Vertical podcast. “But I had one vision that I wanted him to play one way. He wanted to go the other way. I couldn’t get to my way.”

-----

-----

These aren't guys who just coached him here or there. There were coaches for almost his whole prime. Notice the pattern in what they are saying here? That now Phil is saying as well? Also consider D'antoni rarely has a negative word about anyone. For him to bring up Melo insubordination is big.

LMAO. DK7TH?? Welcome back buddy. I see you have stepped your game. On till midnight and right back at it a 7am. Awesome buddy. The Melo hate wagon is alive? You forgot to mention the time he bad mouthed Lebron in H.S. And ofcourese when he stole that pack of gum in middle school. Your almost their bud. Gonna miss you when you go back to high school in September.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Knickoftime

6/27/2017  5:13 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Sinix wrote:When you've watched Melo for so long you kind of learn how to read between the lines with him.

-----

-----

LMAO. DK7TH?? Welcome back buddy. I see you have stepped your game. On till midnight and right back at it a 7am. Awesome buddy. The Melo hate wagon is alive? You forgot to mention the time he bad mouthed Lebron in H.S. And ofcourese when he stole that pack of gum in middle school. Your almost their bud. Gonna miss you when you go back to high school in September.

Wait does this mean he isn't really going to boo Melo??

damn, I thought we had our Melo problem licked.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/27/2017  5:18 PM

-----

-----

George shoud write a memoir about his struggles. He could fill s book.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Sinix

6/27/2017  5:28 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

-----

-----

Creepy stalker alert.

Knickoftime

6/27/2017  5:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2017  5:32 PM
Sinix wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

-----

-----

Creepy stalker alert.

Indeed.

That lengthy post fixating on Melo raises some red flags.

Sinix

6/27/2017  5:37 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Sinix wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

-----

-----

Creepy stalker alert.

Indeed.

Notice one person in this equation is in a knicks related discussion while there's others doing nothing but personal attacks. F*ck off my topic. Like Melo, you are not conducive to the discussion here any longer.

Knickoftime

6/27/2017  6:08 PM
Sinix wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Sinix wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

-----

-----

Creepy stalker alert.

Indeed.

Notice one person in this equation is in a knicks related discussion while there's others doing nothing but personal attacks. F*ck off my topic. Like Melo, you are not conducive to the discussion here any longer.

You've personally attacked Melo in this thread.

That is a matter of public record.

I simply spun your personal attack on another poster to you.

Also a matter of public record.

reub
Member: #6227

6/27/2017  6:57 PM
Melo had a WS48 of .089, less than an average league player. Kevin Love's was .163, almost double the production. There's nothing personal about that.
Knickoftime

6/27/2017  6:59 PM
reub wrote:Melo had a WS48 of .089, less than an average league player. Kevin Love's was .163, almost double the production. There's nothing personal about that.

Indeed.

There were others.

Melo has been angling for a buy-out for a while now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy