[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks pick Frank N at #8
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/24/2017  11:52 AM
Smith has all the tools to be a very good player. He should have been a player that Philly was willing to take at 3 rather then giving all those assets up for Fultz. Or competed hard with Ball and Fox for the #2 & #5 spots. No reason to believe he isn't as talented as those guys. Or Chi should have been willing to take at 7 after the trade. Why wasn't he able to impress any of those teams given his talent and tools? But he also has injury concerns, character concerns & fit concerns(for the Knicks). Dallas is a good spot for him and will be better for his career than any of those other spots at the moment.

Same with Monk. He is in a great spot with the Hornets. With Walker and Batum he can just come in and drop buckets in an identified role. Rather then having to come to NY and try to make him a PG. Role player on a possible playoff team over being looked at as a main piece on a rebuilding team.

Players that can score come into the league every yr. Its not hard to add players who can score as long as you have your draft picks. Building a team of unselfish professionals who are willing to sacrifice, do the dirty work, play defense, guard multiple positions, but can also knock down 3s, put the ball on the floor, create for others. You want to add a Smith and Monk to a team that has already been successful within that culture. Because they will either conform and elevate themselves to fit in the culture. Or add the go to scoring elements that compliment the team.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
6/24/2017  12:57 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:Fran Fraschilla said that Fran is neither a pure pg nor a shooting guard. After watching more film on Frank, I think in order for him to reach his full potential and be a legit starter in this league, I think he needs to be groomed as a point. 6'5 is big for a pg, not so much as a shooting guard specially at 170...Below is a clip I found of him running the point and for the most part, running exclusive PNR...If he can play the point and more importantly defend pg's, he has a chance to be a starter in this league....

while this video is vs. his peers this shows a few things. 1) that athletically he is most certainly an NBA athlete and above average there at worst. 2) he most certainly can be a lead guard with a killer instinct. It was that which put him on the map in the first place 3) he's been playing among men and his job is to defend and play mistake free BB

This board is funny...

"Phil has drafted well... look at KP and Willy."
- those are Gaine's picks

"The same staff that scouted KP and Willy picked Ntilikina"
- Phil has phucked up this draft by not taking Dennis Smith

Admittedly, I was one of the main ones venting about selecting Frank over Smith. I still feel like Smith is a better prospect and that if the Knicks were zeroing in on Frank, they probably could have traded back, picked up an asset and select Frank a few picks later. But, Frank is a Knick now, so its time to move forward and hope that he can flourish here.

This. Phil has done well in the past but that doesn't make him or his scouting team God. I just hope Ntilikina can blossom soon and hopefully turn into George Hill.

I take solace in the fact that Nitty has already improved considerably since those games in the videos. The kid has a great work ethic. No he's not the elite explosive player that others in the draft are but his IQ is higher and his D should be top of class. He's a perfect fit in the Triangle as well. Finally HE WILL LISTEN and not buck the system!!! That was likely a HUGE factor for Phil.

yea lets see on the bold. His challenges are athletic. He can do anything there he tries. I think his "lack of explosiveness" is way overblown. He plays tentative and considering his role that is not a negative. When the reigns are let loose a bit I am pretty sure there is another gear there. Keep looking...

It might be overblown, but he does not seem not THAT quick.

The scouts kept stating...he's more "fluid" than quick. The weaknesses video on DraftExpress shows some issues with creating off the dribble, and for a lead guard his handle and decision making while under pressure is something that must improve if he has any chance of being an NBA level guard, none-the-less, PG.

I'm generally cool with the pick, but I think his weaknesses are fairly glaring for a lottery pick for a player at his position. It's his age along with his strengths, and huge leap in improvement over the past year that has put him there, it seems. I think all that combined is why it's a riskier selection than KP or Willy based on their comparable draft positions.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
6/24/2017  12:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  1:00 PM
Paris907 wrote:Does anyone else think he moves slowly ? His crossover and moves are against slower players. That's my # 1 concern. He may not be able to get his own shot off

That's what I see too. It's specifically one of the major concerns about his game. His shot release is also pretty slow.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/24/2017  1:19 PM
PresIke wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:Fran Fraschilla said that Fran is neither a pure pg nor a shooting guard. After watching more film on Frank, I think in order for him to reach his full potential and be a legit starter in this league, I think he needs to be groomed as a point. 6'5 is big for a pg, not so much as a shooting guard specially at 170...Below is a clip I found of him running the point and for the most part, running exclusive PNR...If he can play the point and more importantly defend pg's, he has a chance to be a starter in this league....

while this video is vs. his peers this shows a few things. 1) that athletically he is most certainly an NBA athlete and above average there at worst. 2) he most certainly can be a lead guard with a killer instinct. It was that which put him on the map in the first place 3) he's been playing among men and his job is to defend and play mistake free BB

This board is funny...

Admittedly, I was one of the main ones venting about selecting Frank over Smith. I still feel like Smith is a better prospect and that if the Knicks were zeroing in on Frank, they probably could have traded back, picked up an asset and select Frank a few picks later. But, Frank is a Knick now, so its time to move forward and hope that he can flourish here.

This. Phil has done well in the past but that doesn't make him or his scouting team God. I just hope Ntilikina can blossom soon and hopefully turn into George Hill.

I take solace in the fact that Nitty has already improved considerably since those games in the videos. The kid has a great work ethic. No he's not the elite explosive player that others in the draft are but his IQ is higher and his D should be top of class. He's a perfect fit in the Triangle as well. Finally HE WILL LISTEN and not buck the system!!! That was likely a HUGE factor for Phil.

yea lets see on the bold. His challenges are athletic. He can do anything there he tries. I think his "lack of explosiveness" is way overblown. He plays tentative and considering his role that is not a negative. When the reigns are let loose a bit I am pretty sure there is another gear there. Keep looking...

It might be overblown, but he does not seem not THAT quick.

The scouts kept stating...he's more "fluid" than quick. The weaknesses video on DraftExpress shows some issues with creating off the dribble, and for a lead guard his handle and decision making while under pressure is something that must improve if he has any chance of being an NBA level guard, none-the-less, PG.

I'm generally cool with the pick, but I think his weaknesses are fairly glaring for a lottery pick for a player at his position. It's his age along with his strengths, and huge leap in improvement over the past year that has put him there, it seems. I think all that combined is why it's a riskier selection than KP or Willy based on their comparable draft positions.

You look at the highlights and it does appear he's slow. But look closer and you'll see he's just longer and appears slow because of how easily he covers ground. He has so many come from behind blocks on transition defense and you can tell it's not a fluke. He needs to get stronger, but I wouldn't call him slow. He'll never be AI, but his length allows him to move in away that doesn't seem overly explosive
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/24/2017  2:49 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/24/2017  3:06 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Well that's good to hear. I won't claim to know more than Gaines, Wilson or Brickley when it comes to projecting this kid's potential. I just hope he surprises all of us and shows this great talent for the Knicks. We NEED that kind of good fortune like with KP and Willy. I would love for Brickley to do a breakdown of what he sees in Nitty.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/24/2017  3:54 PM
Paris907 wrote:Smith will be a 22 ppg scorer, and Momk too will fill it up and perhaps without the need of the ball in his hand excessively. 'Kina to me looks slow ... it could be me ...I like the stroke but it looks slow as well. If in 3 years he averages 16.5ppg and is a starter I guess that's good. Yet D Smith and Momk are aggressive scorers in a league where we just saw the NBA finals with scores in the 130s (like the ABA days)... I've defenses Phil and hate the media. He's a contrarian but I hope it's not for contrarian sake. Has the game passed Phil by? Is the triangle dead? Is respect too much to ask. Maybe Phil is picking young European players he believes he can "control" and that won't be tainted by social media and other Brash non conforming (i.e. Melo) type of players. That's from an article I read yesterday and frankly objectively thought it might have merit. I'd obviously want to see Phil succeed but in this his 4th year he's ostracized the media, Melo and now Porzingis. I'll be keen to see how he's gonna mend fences.

Smith could be Rumeal Robinson and Monk could be OJ Mayo. Nothing is guaranteed. Ntilikina has enough tools to get picked on his own merit, regardless of system.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

6/24/2017  4:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2017  4:21 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Frank would be a college freshman this fall....think about that and already 4 years of professional experience/training.

Franks game reminds me of Clyde when he 1st entered the league -- he was a big combo guard...not necessarily a pure PG who was primarily a defender 1st and Clyde was never a pure blow by you guy with the ball. Franks intangibles remind me of Clyde as well....quiet but team first and not looking for all the glory.

Feel very comfortable with Frankie.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/24/2017  6:28 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Frank would be a college freshman this fall....think about that and already 4 years of professional experience/training.

Franks game reminds me of Clyde when he 1st entered the league -- he was a big combo guard...not necessarily a pure PG who was primarily a defender 1st and Clyde was never a pure blow by you guy with the ball. Franks intangibles remind me of Clyde as well....quiet but team first and not looking for all the glory.

Feel very comfortable with Frankie.

EXCELLENT POST! I actually am shocked I never thought of the Clyde Comparison. That's an excellent comparison for Nitty. I must've had a mental block because I wanted Monk

Ira
Member: #91
6/24/2017  10:38 PM
As I remember Clyde, he was a somewhat better athlete than Frank and a better passer, but he was also 22 when he entered the league. Frank has the same defensive intensity, intelligence and the tendency to play team ball. Also he has that good outside shot.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/25/2017  6:03 AM
At the 6:10 Mark.... frank ntilikina vs ognjen jaramaz
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/25/2017  12:57 PM
I watched the highlights from the 2016 under-18 game. The kid can play. If he plays like this in the NBA, then we definitely picked the right guard.

Trust the Process
TPercy
Member: #5748

6/25/2017  6:54 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

God.. no, but how about benefit of the doubt?

Frank is a gym rat, has a good family and support and is a winner. He's shown he can play with pros, fit in as an 18 year old and have an impact playing a role. Before playing that role he took over the U18 and established himself as the best prospect in EU. People act like Smith is a sure thing in Frank is a total mystery. Simply not the case.

Not that Frank is a total mystery but that Smith would provide better long term and short term prospect down the line. From everything I've seen and resaerched, DSJ is the prototypical PG who kills defenses in many ways,takes a chunk of the scoring and has plenty defensive upside. He ticks more boxes than Frank. Nevertheless I could be very wrong and Frank ends up being perfect for us and given Phil's record with foreign players I probably am.

C'mon DSJ has very little defensive upside. Now you are just making crap up. He has short arms and hasn't really shown any desire to expend himself on the defensive side. Probably if you did compare all "these boxes" of these 2 players, Frankie would check off more boxes--passing, shooting, defense, team player. DSJ gets more athletic, better penetrator..

I'm not making anything up. He moves his feet very well when locked in and he uses his strength to fight through screens. There was an analysis video by NBAEstein that confirmed that.
Frank is not a proven better passer than Dsj either, noe you are making crap up.

Look, bottom line is that this a guards league where you must have a guard who can break down defenses in a variety of ways regardless of the system especially as a ball handler in PnR. And with the Knicks needing a scorer with Rose gone and Memo declining, DSJ is better equipped to help us in that regard.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

6/25/2017  6:56 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

G.Hill is the guy i've been comparing him to and hoping he can become in the NBA. I was actually hoping we could get G.Hill in free agency.

He's been on my list for a while. Would be a dream but if we do he'd cost nice a bit.

The Future is Bright!
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/25/2017  8:46 PM
TPercy wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

Frank is a gym rat, has a good family and support and is a winner. He's shown he can play with pros, fit in as an 18 year old and have an impact playing a role. Before playing that role he took over the U18 and established himself as the best prospect in EU. People act like Smith is a sure thing in Frank is a total mystery. Simply not the case.

Not that Frank is a total mystery but that Smith would provide better long term and short term prospect down the line. From everything I've seen and resaerched, DSJ is the prototypical PG who kills defenses in many ways,takes a chunk of the scoring and has plenty defensive upside. He ticks more boxes than Frank. Nevertheless I could be very wrong and Frank ends up being perfect for us and given Phil's record with foreign players I probably am.

C'mon DSJ has very little defensive upside. Now you are just making crap up. He has short arms and hasn't really shown any desire to expend himself on the defensive side. Probably if you did compare all "these boxes" of these 2 players, Frankie would check off more boxes--passing, shooting, defense, team player. DSJ gets more athletic, better penetrator..

I'm not making anything up. He moves his feet very well when locked in and he uses his strength to fight through screens. There was an analysis video by NBAEstein that confirmed that.
Frank is not a proven better passer than Dsj either, noe you are making crap up.

Look, bottom line is that this a guards league where you must have a guard who can break down defenses in a variety of ways regardless of the system especially as a ball handler in PnR. And with the Knicks needing a scorer with Rose gone and Memo declining, DSJ is better equipped to help us in that regard.

This kid can't create off the dribble, at least he has a nice jumper and he can defend at a high level.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
reub
Member: #6227

6/25/2017  9:09 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
TPercy wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This board is funny...

This kid can't create off the dribble, at least he has a nice jumper and he can defend at a high level.

He would be a college freshman NEXT season so he has time to improve on things. His defense is real and unrelenting and his shot and grace excellent already.

Ira
Member: #91
6/25/2017  9:43 PM
In my mind Smith is a shorter Derrick Rose with a better but not great j.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/25/2017  10:12 PM
Case and point: Frank woke up Thursday morning to work out at a midtown gym, mere hours before the draft.

The work ethic is real.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/25/2017  10:35 PM
TheGame wrote:I watched the highlights from the 2016 under-18 game. The kid can play. If he plays like this in the NBA, then we definitely picked the right guard.

Had some nice euro 3s. A few had someone in his face, would be interested to see more of those clips. Frank does a good job of keeping his feet moving on D, moving laterally, and knowing when to poke the ball away from the ball carrier without giving up his position.

Has a nice stutter step, but it needs to get quicker IMO, and a good first step to the rim. Didnt see much in the way of creating for others though, hope thats a point of emphasis because right now he looks much more like a wing player.

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
6/25/2017  11:03 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Does anyone else think he moves slowly ? His crossover and moves are against slower players. That's my # 1 concern. He may not be able to get his own shot off

He's not a beat you off the dribble, drive and score PG.
He's more of a come off a screen or motion, pull up.
Get a screen on ball set and then drive, look to pass or score.
Looks to set up the offense.
Push the ball in transition.

In a way I think he's got Rondo potential with a better jumpshot.

This would be best case scenario which would be a real nice player

Rondo was a great rebounder though. I havent really seen Frank get after the boards which he needs to change given his length.

In some of the videos out there he's seen fighting hard for boards and competing with 3's and 4's. I think he'll be a helluva rebounder at 1-2.

Knicks pick Frank N at #8

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy