Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

6/29/2017  11:46 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Wow at that dunk by DSJ....

To be honest I think DSJ should learn from DRose that High Octane athletic style puts you at greater risk of injury. The stresses on cartilage, tendons and ligaments are extreme.

That's the thing that makes him so great is that he is not a high octane guy all the time like Fox is. Instead he at times he waits and let things develop. He is a crafty half court pnr guard that Just so happens to have an extra gear and elite of the elite level explosion.

So you're expecting Smith to control himself on drives? From what I saw in college he goes to the basket hard and ends up on the floor a lot. Fox is high energy, as is Frank, but I don't think they're high "altitude" like Smith or Rose.

Was quite ready to accept Smith if we took him, but he is a high flyer who will try to dunk over opponents at times.

We will see.

I'm saying he plays with more controlled pace than say a Westbrook, Wall, or a Fox. He just doesn't always play at 100 miph. Now, in the half court he does go hard to the hole but he does still play with control.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/4/2017  1:07 PM
no idea how accurate this twitter account it:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/4/2017  1:11 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/frank-ntilikina-interview/

The French Connection
Little known French point guard Frank Ntilikina has trainers, coaches and analysts raving.

June 22, 2017

Speak to enough prospects in the lead-up to the NBA Draft and the conversations start blending into one another. Everyone is super competitive and also eager to learn. Also, they’re super confident and all the weakness that you’ve heard about—yeah, those have been fixed, or they’re just a product of the player being misunderstood.

The same goes for international prospects, only they usually mention how they’re nervous for their interview, too. English, after all, isn’t their first language. They then share how they’ve spent the past five years honing their speaking skills by imbibing every piece of American pop culture they can get their hands on. For Frank Ntilikina, the 18-year-old guard out of Strasbourg, France, that meant binging TV shows like How I Met Your Mother and Empire (interesting combination, no?) and devouring every piece of music put out by Drake or Meek Mill.

But also: “I read a lot,” he says over the phone from France about two weeks before the NBA Draft.

Ok, so that’s a bit different? But is he talking War and Peace or Instagram captions?

“I love basketball books,” he says. “Phil Jackson’s Eleven Rings.”—a morsel that will certainly get play in New York, the city Ntilikina could very likely end up calling home following tonight’s draft—“a biography on Michael Jordan, now I’m reading a book by (longtime NBA trainer) Tim Grover.”

Ntilikina says the first two he read in French, but Grover’s book was an English version. He says he was intrigued by all the different lessons Grover was able to share, tidbits the trainer picked up or witnessed throughout his three decades in the NBA.

Which is to say, perhaps the clichés typically spouted by NBA prospects actually do apply to Ntilikina. Perhaps he has been preparing his whole life for this moment, and perhaps he is ready to make the leap from France’s LNB Pro A to the League and reward whichever NBA team elects to take a flyer on the kid with a last name that most fans don’t know how to pronounce (it’s Nee-lee-Kee-na).

“His greatest strength is his versatility and age,” says ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla. “He’s going to play his entire rookie season as a 19 year old and he does everything on the court pretty well.”

Fraschilla projects Ntilikina as a “solid NBA starter and potentially an All Star.” He does add, though, that Ntilikina has the chance to become a defensive stud. The combination of a 6-5 frame and 7-1 wingspan, of quick feet and a basketball IQ that’s been honed over two seasons in one of the top basketball leagues in the world makes him the sort of versatile, queen-like chess piece that every team in the new, position-less NBA now craves.

“He’s what I would call a no-mistake player,” Fraschilla says. “He doesn’t have dynamic athleticism, but he understands the game well and has a good feel for it.”

Much of that comes from the countless hours he spent playing alongside his two older brothers—ten and 12 years his senior. Ntilikina, who was born in Belgium to Rwandan parents, moved to France with his family at the age of three. He spent years there watching his brothers and friends battle on Strasbourg’s local courts, shooting on an open hoop and waiting for an invite into their game. Eventually it came, and it was in those parks where Ntilikina realized how his Inspector Gadget-like arms could be deployed as a weapon on the defensive end.

Then, at the age of 15, Ntilikina signed with Strasbourg’s club team. He made his professional debut a year later and soon after was on the radar of every front office in the NBA, especially after a season in which as a teenager he averaged 5.3 points in 19.1 minutes per game for a team that made it all the way to LNB Pro A’s finals (the series was undecided as of print time).

Even his jumper, once viewed as a weakness, has begun rounding out. Ntilikina drilled 39.1 percent of the 1.6 treys per game he hoisted this season and Chris Brickley, a former Knicks assistant coach who now trains NBA players and has worked with Ntilikina, says the Frenchman’s stroke is NBA ready. He has proof, too: there’s an arduous drill Brickley likes to put his players through; it consists of launching 100 3s from different spots on the floor. Brickley says that when Kevin Durant runs through it, he’ll nail around 80 percent. Most guards, he adds, drain about 70.

“And the first time I ran Frank through,” says Brickley, “he hit 78.”

None of this, of course, makes Ntilikina a sure thing. But 18-year-old kids with professional experience who project as defensive wizzes and can also do a bit of everything on the floor, well players like that don’t exactly come along very often.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/4/2017  1:36 PM
martin wrote:http://www.slamonline.com/nba/frank-ntilikina-interview/

The French Connection
Little known French point guard Frank Ntilikina has trainers, coaches and analysts raving.

June 22, 2017

Speak to enough prospects in the lead-up to the NBA Draft and the conversations start blending into one another. Everyone is super competitive and also eager to learn. Also, they’re super confident and all the weakness that you’ve heard about—yeah, those have been fixed, or they’re just a product of the player being misunderstood.

The same goes for international prospects, only they usually mention how they’re nervous for their interview, too. English, after all, isn’t their first language. They then share how they’ve spent the past five years honing their speaking skills by imbibing every piece of American pop culture they can get their hands on. For Frank Ntilikina, the 18-year-old guard out of Strasbourg, France, that meant binging TV shows like How I Met Your Mother and Empire (interesting combination, no?) and devouring every piece of music put out by Drake or Meek Mill.

But also: “I read a lot,” he says over the phone from France about two weeks before the NBA Draft.

Ok, so that’s a bit different? But is he talking War and Peace or Instagram captions?

“I love basketball books,” he says. “Phil Jackson’s Eleven Rings.”—a morsel that will certainly get play in New York, the city Ntilikina could very likely end up calling home following tonight’s draft—“a biography on Michael Jordan, now I’m reading a book by (longtime NBA trainer) Tim Grover.”

Ntilikina says the first two he read in French, but Grover’s book was an English version. He says he was intrigued by all the different lessons Grover was able to share, tidbits the trainer picked up or witnessed throughout his three decades in the NBA.

Which is to say, perhaps the clichés typically spouted by NBA prospects actually do apply to Ntilikina. Perhaps he has been preparing his whole life for this moment, and perhaps he is ready to make the leap from France’s LNB Pro A to the League and reward whichever NBA team elects to take a flyer on the kid with a last name that most fans don’t know how to pronounce (it’s Nee-lee-Kee-na).

“His greatest strength is his versatility and age,” says ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla. “He’s going to play his entire rookie season as a 19 year old and he does everything on the court pretty well.”

Fraschilla projects Ntilikina as a “solid NBA starter and potentially an All Star.” He does add, though, that Ntilikina has the chance to become a defensive stud. The combination of a 6-5 frame and 7-1 wingspan, of quick feet and a basketball IQ that’s been honed over two seasons in one of the top basketball leagues in the world makes him the sort of versatile, queen-like chess piece that every team in the new, position-less NBA now craves.

“He’s what I would call a no-mistake player,” Fraschilla says. “He doesn’t have dynamic athleticism, but he understands the game well and has a good feel for it.”

Much of that comes from the countless hours he spent playing alongside his two older brothers—ten and 12 years his senior. Ntilikina, who was born in Belgium to Rwandan parents, moved to France with his family at the age of three. He spent years there watching his brothers and friends battle on Strasbourg’s local courts, shooting on an open hoop and waiting for an invite into their game. Eventually it came, and it was in those parks where Ntilikina realized how his Inspector Gadget-like arms could be deployed as a weapon on the defensive end.

Then, at the age of 15, Ntilikina signed with Strasbourg’s club team. He made his professional debut a year later and soon after was on the radar of every front office in the NBA, especially after a season in which as a teenager he averaged 5.3 points in 19.1 minutes per game for a team that made it all the way to LNB Pro A’s finals (the series was undecided as of print time).

Even his jumper, once viewed as a weakness, has begun rounding out. Ntilikina drilled 39.1 percent of the 1.6 treys per game he hoisted this season and Chris Brickley, a former Knicks assistant coach who now trains NBA players and has worked with Ntilikina, says the Frenchman’s stroke is NBA ready. He has proof, too: there’s an arduous drill Brickley likes to put his players through; it consists of launching 100 3s from different spots on the floor. Brickley says that when Kevin Durant runs through it, he’ll nail around 80 percent. Most guards, he adds, drain about 70.

“And the first time I ran Frank through,” says Brickley, “he hit 78.”

None of this, of course, makes Ntilikina a sure thing. But 18-year-old kids with professional experience who project as defensive wizzes and can also do a bit of everything on the floor, well players like that don’t exactly come along very often.

Tho I wanted Monk. I trusted that if the Knicks did pick Nitty it was for valid reasons. Still skeptical but with every report I'm growing more confident in the choice. Especially after I reflected on Phil's stated goal of adding great On Ball Defenders. That's where this made so much sense but then hearing about his shooting and seeing his stroke and handles have already improved a LOT is a good sign.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/7/2017  3:58 PM
reub
Member: #6227

7/7/2017  4:06 PM
I just hope that young Frank can deal with the slimy press and rabid fans here. That's asking a lot.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/7/2017  5:42 PM
reub wrote:I just hope that young Frank can deal with the slimy press and rabid fans here. That's asking a lot.

Reub--knick fans who pay the highest prices for tickets and cable-- they've watched nearly 2 decades of bad basketball. They are deservedly sour. It's up to the K Ickes to change that sentiment. Most people don't care about the press-- I think that is becomjng self evident

RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

7/7/2017  6:08 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
reub wrote:I just hope that young Frank can deal with the slimy press and rabid fans here. That's asking a lot.

Reub--knick fans who pay the highest prices for tickets and cable-- they've watched nearly 2 decades of bad basketball. They are deservedly sour. It's up to the K Ickes to change that sentiment. Most people don't care about the press-- I think that is becomjng self evident

True, but Frank and the rest of the players don't deserve it.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/17/2017  2:07 PM
Was watching an old Knicks game on MSG, watching Greg Anthony. Frank might end up being a player on Anthony's level. Tough defender, not an offensive juggennaut, but can make plays for himself and others.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/17/2017  2:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Was watching an old Knicks game on MSG, watching Greg Anthony. Frank might end up being a player on Anthony's level. Tough defender, not an offensive juggennaut, but can make plays for himself and others.

Think more of a mix of Scottie pippen with the Greek freak, this kid is a stud...not a bench role player like Greg Anthony

GustavBahler

7/17/2017  2:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2017  9:36 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Was watching an old Knicks game on MSG, watching Greg Anthony. Frank might end up being a player on Anthony's level. Tough defender, not an offensive juggennaut, but can make plays for himself and others.

Think more of a mix of Scottie pippen with the Greek freak, this kid is a stud...not a bench role player like Greg Anthony

That would be nice. I think of Anthony as the median.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/17/2017  2:23 PM

I think the fact that Frank is a better shooter from three and the pull-up gives him a leg up. Greg's jumper was always iffy. The thing that really killed me about Greg was how poorly he finished, despite his athleticism and wingspan. I think Frank will be a better offensive player than Greg. Now defense....Greg's lateral quickness, strength and sticktoitiveness made him a real asset. Plus the rules back then really helped him. I hope Frank can come close to Greg's level.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2017  2:41 PM
*might*??? I am hoping for better. Did Anthony ever even average double digits scoring?

I think Ntilikina is another unicorn. An AK-47 type of player at PG. Kirilenko was a guy you didnt really plan for. I can see Frank being like that. He does everything right and everything well. I like the pic more and more, even more so with the new GM and promised direction of the team. He may no even be a PG, maybe he ends up a 2 or 3. It doesnt matter. What matter is he's a team first win first player who at 18 has already shown what his priorities are. That is a bit amazing in itself.

I expect this kid (if healthy) to be a very good player for many years. I also expect him to play well as a rookie off the bench

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/17/2017  2:50 PM
Disclaimer: I know very little about Frank or his potential. But I worry about Dennis Smith Jr. coming out like gangbusters as a rookie and Knick fans not looking at the big, long term picture and passing judgment on Frank after the first couple of months into his career. Ironically, Scottie Pippen and the Greek Freak were referenced in this thread. Either had the most impressive rookie season but over time developed into stars. Knick fans need to try to forget about Smith and support the guy we drafted and give him time before labeling this draft selection as a mistake.
GustavBahler

7/17/2017  2:56 PM
fishmike wrote:
*might*??? I am hoping for better. Did Anthony ever even average double digits scoring?

I think Ntilikina is another unicorn. An AK-47 type of player at PG. Kirilenko was a guy you didnt really plan for. I can see Frank being like that. He does everything right and everything well. I like the pic more and more, even more so with the new GM and promised direction of the team. He may no even be a PG, maybe he ends up a 2 or 3. It doesnt matter. What matter is he's a team first win first player who at 18 has already shown what his priorities are. That is a bit amazing in itself.

I expect this kid (if healthy) to be a very good player for many years. I also expect him to play well as a rookie off the bench

After Anthony left NY he had a couple of seasons where he averaged double digits, or close.

TLover
Member: #381
USA
7/17/2017  11:20 PM
The concern is he quick enough to guard the Dennis Smith's of the world. He looks more 2 guard than point guard and we already have too many of those & LOTS of $ invested in them. I actually hope this kid keeps growing and becomes a point small forward like The Greek Freak.
His shoot looks good and he should definitely get better with work outs & coaching.
Welpee

7/18/2017  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2017  12:32 PM
If Frank becomes Greg Anthony somebody is going to lose their job over that selection.

GustavBahler wrote:After Anthony left NY he had a couple of seasons where he averaged double digits, or close.

He had one double digit season and that was for an expansion team (Vancover) in their first year in the league.

GustavBahler

7/18/2017  12:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2017  12:55 PM
Welpee wrote:If Frank becomes Greg Anthony somebody is going to lose their job over that selection.

GustavBahler wrote:After Anthony left NY he had a couple of seasons where he averaged double digits, or close.

He had one double digit season and that was for an expansion team (Vancover) in their first year in the league.

Killing the man for half a point, lol. Didn't say that was his upside. Its who Frank might turn out to be similar to if he doesn't take his game to the next level, at some point.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/18/2017  1:31 PM
I see Frank more like a young Derek Harper or Clyde Frazier type. Nitty could be a better shooting Shaun Livingston. Excellent big defensive guard. Not the flashy small quick PG type. Nitty can use his length to stay back just enough to stay with quicker PG's. He'll get beat like every other guard but not as frequently. Defense on the perimeter is super tough with the rules in the NBA, but Nitty has the right combination of freak length and lateral quickness to be a high level defender.
Welpee

7/18/2017  4:00 PM

If Frank becomes Greg Anthony somebody is going to lose their job over that selection.

GustavBahler wrote:He had one double digit season and that was for an expansion team (Vancover) in their first year in the league.

Killing the man for half a point, lol. Didn't say that was his upside. Its who Frank might turn out to be similar to if he doesn't take his game to the next level, at some point.

Knicks pick Frank N at #8

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy