[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

ESPN: Knicks looking for more players like Courtney Lee in free agency
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/23/2017  5:44 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/66471/knicks-looking-for-more-players-like-courtney-lee-in-free-agency

Even the most loyal Knicks fans would admit that New York's big-name signings last summer didn't work out well.

Derrick Rose got to the basket whenever he wanted to in 2016-17, but he struggled on defense, one of the many reasons the Knicks never clicked on that side of the floor.

Joakim Noah was limited to just 46 games because of various injuries and a suspension.

And Brandon Jennings, unhappy with his role, requested to be released shortly after the trade deadline.

The lone positive among Phil Jackson's high-profile additions was Courtney Lee.

Lee made an impact on both ends of the court, playing the kind of consistent, two-way basketball that Jackson highlighted in his season-ending news conference.

He was second among starters in 3-point percentage and was continually tasked with defending the opponent's best perimeter player. He did so amid changing defensive schemes and confusion among teammates about those schemes. Not easy.

So it's not all that surprising that the Knicks will be looking for more two-way players like Lee this summer (more on that below).

As for Lee, he enters the offseason optimistic about New York's future despite the team’s issues in 2016-17.

"I believe in the guys that we have and that we can be better next year," he said in a phone interview after the season.

Lee’s optimism is based -- in part -- on his teammates growing more comfortable with one another as the season progressed.

"If you look at some of the things that we did -- especially late in the season -- we think we can carry some of that over into next season," he said.

Is Lee right about a carry-over effect for New York? That depends largely, of course, on what happens in the next two-plus months.

The Knicks, at the moment, will have a maximum of $19 million in cap space to spend in free agency (a number that can changed based on a number of factors, including a Carmelo Anthony trade). They also have the No. 8 pick in June's draft.

Like most teams around the NBA, they hope to find free agents who can contribute on both ends of the floor. That's one of the many things the club didn't have enough of in 2016-17.

Last season, there were 49 players who played at least 20 minutes per game and posted positive real plus-minus numbers on defense and offense. None of those players suited up for the Knicks. Lee was their most consistent player on both ends of the court.

So finding free agents who are well-rounded like Lee will be pivotal. And the Knicks have at least two players like that on their radar.

The club has preliminary interest in veteran free agent P.J. Tucker, per league sources. Jeff Hornacek coached Tucker in Phoenix and praised him last season as a strong locker-room leader and intense defender. Tucker shot 35.7 percent from beyond the arc last season, including a 40 percent clip after being traded to the Toronto Raptors.

New York has also shown preliminary interest in New Orleans Pelicans forward and free-agent-to-be Dante Cunningham, per sources.

Cunningham has developed into a solid 3-point shooter (he led New Orleans in 3-point field goal percentage last season at 39.2 percent). Cunningham also proved to be a significant factor in New Orleans' successes; The Pelicans were 13-8 when Cunningham played at least 28 minutes, per NBA.com (for perspective, that's a winning percentage that would have ranked top-10 in the NBA).

Many in the Knicks organization are also high on Spurs wing Jonathon Simmons (as are 29 other teams). But Simmons will be a restricted free agent, so San Antonio can match all offers made to the 27-year-old.

The Knicks would also like to retain Justin Holiday, their own solid two-way player. But they will likely have plenty of competition for Holiday's services.

With $19 million (maximum) to spend, it will be interesting to see how the Knicks allocate their cap space in July.

One other two-way player to keep an eye on? Ricky Rubio.

Some in the organization were hopeful after the trade deadline that they could revisit their attempts to acquire Rubio from the Minnesota Timberwolves in the offseason, per sources.

It's unclear if that interest remains, but Rubio would fit the mold of a two-way contributor. He is one of the 49 players who had positive real plus-minus ratings on both offense and defense last season.

AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

5/23/2017  5:58 PM
So the knicks want to waste money on old players who serve no purpose on a supposedly rebuilding team. That sounds about right
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/23/2017  6:04 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:So the knicks want to waste money on old players who serve no purpose on a supposedly rebuilding team. That sounds about right

As long as they dont break the bank to sign them. Its to be expected that they will sign some vets in the offseason for the bench, hopefully on the cheap. Its the big ticket signings, the big contracts for retreads that worry me as a fan. Thats what really slows down the alleged rebuild.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2017  6:28 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:So the knicks want to waste money on old players who serve no purpose on a supposedly rebuilding team. That sounds about right
This. Tucker and Cunningham aren't bad pieces to have if you are competing for a playoff spot/championship but why get those guys for the Knicks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2017  6:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
This. Tucker and Cunningham aren't bad pieces to have if you are competing for a playoff spot/championship but why get those guys for the Knicks.

really? Having played on rebuilding type teams those guys are critical. Where do you learn from? What example do you follow? The IDEAL rebuilding is where you have young guys that arent handed playing time, or if they are its limited. I actually love the idea of a couple guys like this. You bring in some high end young talent and you surround them with hard working guys that defend and do dirty work. I see KP and Willy as building block young players, but its not enough. Baker, Randle, Plumlee, NDour, etc... all guys worth looking at. Sometimes they pop, but these are not the guys who you are building a playoff team around. You need impact players and hopefully we are able to draft another. Hopefully a couple of the others pop as well, but I 100% like the idea of two way veterans balancing the roster. Lee/Noah/Lance/Baker and PJ Tucker give you 5 guys who defend like its all that matters. You balance that with KP, Willy maybe a guy like Dennis Smith Jr or Malik Monk. When you have difference makers on offense and they are surrounded by guys who can defend and spread the floor you have the makings of the sustainable winning they are trying for.

It will take some time but the formula is good and I think its pretty clear the kind of value a guy like Tucker would bring.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
reub
Member: #6227

5/23/2017  6:53 PM
I don't think that we should just throw away next season already. Acquiring Rubio, PJ Tucker and say, drafting OG (if healthy) and Thornwell would make us a tough, defensive minded team.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2017  6:59 PM
reub wrote:I don't think that we should just throw away next season already. Acquiring Rubio, PJ Tucker and say, drafting OG (if healthy) and Thornwell would make us a tough, defensive minded team.
it would certainly put us closer to a real identity. I think the idea is what I mentioned above. We draft an impact player. Maybe a guy like Dennis Smith who was really the best player in the draft but coming off an ACL so he drops to 8. We get 65-70 healthy games from Lance and Noah. We sign a guy like Tucker. Baker takes a step forward as a nice 3&D guy in the rotation, KP and Willy takes steps forward... we get balance from a Melo trade. Maybe even a decent player. Who knows... off season hasnt started yet. People are going bat**** crazy if KP's toilet get clogged.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/23/2017  9:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

really? Having played on rebuilding type teams those guys are critical. Where do you learn from? What example do you follow? The IDEAL rebuilding is where you have young guys that arent handed playing time, or if they are its limited. I actually love the idea of a couple guys like this. You bring in some high end young talent and you surround them with hard working guys that defend and do dirty work. I see KP and Willy as building block young players, but its not enough. Baker, Randle, Plumlee, NDour, etc... all guys worth looking at. Sometimes they pop, but these are not the guys who you are building a playoff team around. You need impact players and hopefully we are able to draft another. Hopefully a couple of the others pop as well, but I 100% like the idea of two way veterans balancing the roster. Lee/Noah/Lance/Baker and PJ Tucker give you 5 guys who defend like its all that matters. You balance that with KP, Willy maybe a guy like Dennis Smith Jr or Malik Monk. When you have difference makers on offense and they are surrounded by guys who can defend and spread the floor you have the makings of the sustainable winning they are trying for.

It will take some time but the formula is good and I think its pretty clear the kind of value a guy like Tucker would bring.

Just about nailed it. They couldn't get their usual gripes in about Phil forcing the triangle, apparently Jeff is asking for players he wants so they are trying a new angle

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

5/23/2017  9:26 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

100% agree we need more players like tucker a defender like tucker is contagious to the young guys like KP,willy,baker,our draft picks... guys like tucker on your team is a game changer in building a defense first team mentality. I'd love to draft Isaac who already has defensive capabilities and have a guy like tucker to mentor Isaac would be amazing. I really want us to draft tredwell as well, he's the perfect back up 2 guard you want on your team, a guard version of tucker with a better offensive game. getting rid of melo is exactly what this team needs he sets a awful mentality for the young guys of every man for himself calling plays for himself and taking breaks on defense. I hope we can get picks and a player to groom for melo.

the future of this franchise depends on weather phil can move melo otherwise it docent matter who we draft or sign melo will poison the chemistry

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/23/2017  9:43 PM
We need better players period... we need vets that can play on both ends just like some of you guys are saying.... but what i can't understand is who do the other half of you guys think we're going to sign next year? We're not gong to get Durant or Lebron... we are rebuilding. No superstars wants to be here... but we can sign guys that see the big picture and want the opportunity to play and mentor young guys.

Bottom line is we souls be interested inn good players. Tucker, cunningham and Simmons are good players.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

5/23/2017  9:57 PM
how about the star PG from Europe that is a free agent, or making a trade for rubio we need a stockton to our malone in KP.

again guys like rubio,tucker,simmons is what our young core needs to learn to build defensive chemistry.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/23/2017  10:11 PM
EnySpree wrote:We need better players period... we need vets that can play on both ends just like some of you guys are saying.... but what i can't understand is who do the other half of you guys think we're going to sign next year? We're not gong to get Durant or Lebron... we are rebuilding. No superstars wants to be here... but we can sign guys that see the big picture and want the opportunity to play and mentor young guys.

Bottom line is we souls be interested inn good players. Tucker, cunningham and Simmons are good players.

They want Melo to stay, Phil to be fired, Woodson to be coach and whatever manner starfukk possible to "win now". Oh and throw in 54 wins and blah blah blah..

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/23/2017  10:18 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
EnySpree wrote:We need better players period... we need vets that can play on both ends just like some of you guys are saying.... but what i can't understand is who do the other half of you guys think we're going to sign next year? We're not gong to get Durant or Lebron... we are rebuilding. No superstars wants to be here... but we can sign guys that see the big picture and want the opportunity to play and mentor young guys.

They want Melo to stay, Phil to be fired, Woodson to be coach and whatever manner starfukk possible to "win now". Oh and throw in 54 wins and blah blah blah..

The internet is FULL of this kind of thinking SMDH! It's like they never saw anything that happened over the last few years. There aren't any SAVIORS coming to the Knicks! We have to grow our own stars!!! Put quality role players around them and see how it develops.

yellowboy90

5/23/2017  11:09 PM

How much did Tucker help Phx? How much did Cunningham help N.O.? DO you really want to bet on Cunningham coming off the best year he has ever had from three? These are average players that are okay when they are hidden by great players that can carry the load. When they have to play roles on bad teams they are not useful. On top of that you are giving money to two players above 30 who are more than likely are going to get worst. It makes zero sense to waste time on players like that.

Save the money for teams who are looking to dumb players like that and will give you a 1st rd pick to do it.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/23/2017  11:21 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

How much did Tucker help Phx? How much did Cunningham help N.O.? DO you really want to bet on Cunningham coming off the best year he has ever had from three? These are average players that are okay when they are hidden by great players that can carry the load. When they have to play roles on bad teams they are not useful. On top of that you are giving money to two players above 30 who are more than likely are going to get worst. It makes zero sense to waste time on players like that.

Save the money for teams who are looking to dumb players like that and will give you a 1st rd pick to do it.

Folks need to be honest with themselves- we're 3-5 years away from being a real franchise again. KP is at least 2-3 years away from being strong enough to stand his ground.

we're adding an 8th pick & trying to dump Melo. We need to tank next year - because if KP doesn't become a franchise talent, we'll be stuck in a mediocre circle of hell - barely able to get to the play offs, first round exits.

Doesn't matter one way or the other who we sign.

yellowboy90

5/23/2017  11:25 PM
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Folks need to be honest with themselves- we're 3-5 years away from being a real franchise again. KP is at least 2-3 years away from being strong enough to stand his ground.

we're adding an 8th pick & trying to dump Melo. We need to tank next year - because if KP doesn't become a franchise talent, we'll be stuck in a mediocre circle of hell - barely able to get to the play offs, first round exits.

Now if you want to get some vets on the minimum not named Sasha go right ahead.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/24/2017  12:09 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Exaggerate much?!

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/24/2017  6:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2017  6:06 AM
Lee is adequate. He's Phil's least bad large contract. He's definitely not something to aspire to, though. You can't use the space of half of a max contract on a player like him. You need veteran role players on a rebuilding team, yes, but you shouldn't have to spend 8 figures per year on that unless the player is very good. You want something to aspire to? How about $7 mil a season on Jae Crowder? How about watching the teams still in the playoffs and learning from them in general? If you want something to aspire to, you're not going to find it on our current roster.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

5/24/2017  7:58 AM
I think they are looking at the roster as follows

Porzingis/Noah/OQuinn
Hernangomez/Thomas/Kuzminskas
SF/Holiday
Lee/SG
PG/Baker

They're going to look to trade Melo for a starter at 3/2/1.
Hope to draft a starter 1/2/3
Sign a starter in free agency at whatever positional need is left.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/24/2017  8:15 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Now if you want to get some vets on the minimum not named Sasha go right ahead.

I never minded Sasha much & if we really wanted to go triangle, he should have played, off the bench, every game.

But, at some point, is it better to have a Sasha/Lee, or maybe take a flyer on a second round talent, see if they can handle the minutes.

We have 2 second round picks - we've got to see if we can find some nuggets that could turn into serviceable players.

ESPN: Knicks looking for more players like Courtney Lee in free agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy