Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/25/2017  10:41 AM
matt wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:It's not what phil is doing it, it's how he is doing it. For every good move there's a bad move, like players playing hard, but turning the ball over and shooting 39%.

I think Phil was overconfident coming into the job but now he's at a different place with the process. I think he can move forward with more conviction after failing to put something around Melo.

I think the Melo stuff is part frustration and anger at Melo who really hasn't held up his end after Phil gave him everything in his contract. As a Prez you kind of want your star player to have a sense of duty to live up to the trust placed in him with a massive contract. Melo basically go comfortable.

I think the Media has a part to play in trying to make things look even worse. Guys like Woj got it wrong. They tried to make this about Phil and the Triangle. The Media is trying to play up the KP wants to leave the Knicks cuz they're so dysfunctional angle. Thing is that KP really doesn't want to leave even if he's ticked off that Phil is trying to force Melo out. KP doesn't realize that it's for his own good that Melo find another team. KP can't see that right now.

In time as Phil rebuilds the team KP will mature and realize that Melo was holding them back. As much as Melo was the best player on the team offensively, he was holding them back because they were overly reliant on his scoring. Also Melo's apathetic approach didn't bring the fire and passion a young group of players need. Melo simply isn't the right man for the job of leading the team.

Enough already. I don't understand defending Phil or the Knicks as an organization. They haven't done a single thing that anyone could consider smart.

This may or may not be true depending on which decision or move you're talking about. Yes there have been a lot of things that haven't worked out but not everything has been a failure. As we've been saying the Win Now portion of Phil's work has failed but not his work to build up the D League development. Not his work to add new young talent despite not having picks.

Now it's very unfortunate that all the drama has negatively affected KP but he's not irreparably harmed and he's very much in love with being in New York. Phil has many opportunities to improve things and IMO the process is already starting.

We have to see what happens this summer before being so convinced Phil can't get this turned around. This summer is going to be HUGE for the Knicks future.

AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
4/25/2017  12:02 PM
Building up the Dleague team is neat and fun, but he's the President of the New York Knicks, not the Westchester Knicks. The dleague is almost useless. Nobody is banging on the door to sign Ron Baker or Plumlee or Randle or Travis Wear or Galloway or... Jimmer... uh... it's hard to remember how many d-league studs the knicks have had. I will get back to you as soon as they can be tracked down.

Our young talent is KP and Hernangomez _that's it_ and Phil's pissing one of them off pretty nicely.

Phil has had 3 summers to "turn it around" and it's only gotten worse and more circus-like. I seriously don't understand defending Phil at this point. It's okay to not like him as the Knicks GM/Preident.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2017  12:29 PM
matt wrote:Building up the Dleague team is neat and fun, but he's the President of the New York Knicks, not the Westchester Knicks. The dleague is almost useless. Nobody is banging on the door to sign Ron Baker or Plumlee or Randle or Travis Wear or Galloway or... Jimmer... uh... it's hard to remember how many d-league studs the knicks have had. I will get back to you as soon as they can be tracked down.

Our young talent is KP and Hernangomez _that's it_ and Phil's pissing one of them off pretty nicely.

Phil has had 3 summers to "turn it around" and it's only gotten worse and more circus-like. I seriously don't understand defending Phil at this point. It's okay to not like him as the Knicks GM/Preident.

Disagree about Baker. Believe he will catch on somewhere as a bench player, and do well. That is if he doesn't stay in NY.

To your last point. If Phil decided to find a quality GM. One who just doesn't do "paperwork". A GM who will tell Phil to put down the bong (diplomatically) when he comes up with some of these trades, the team would be much better off.

Let Phil focus on turning the Knicks into one of the best run organizations in the league. Phil should see it as his next challenge. Because too much of him still wishes he could be part of the game.

Its time for Phil to let it go and be the best team president he can. The most impactful way he can do that is to hire the best GM he can, and let Jeff run the team any way he wants. That's what most team presidents do.

Not calling for Phil to be fired, just want him to focus mainly on revamping the front office. Thats where he can do the most good as an exec, and leave a legacy he can be proud of.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/25/2017  1:37 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
matt wrote:Building up the Dleague team is neat and fun, but he's the President of the New York Knicks, not the Westchester Knicks. The dleague is almost useless. Nobody is banging on the door to sign Ron Baker or Plumlee or Randle or Travis Wear or Galloway or... Jimmer... uh... it's hard to remember how many d-league studs the knicks have had. I will get back to you as soon as they can be tracked down.

Disagree about Baker. Believe he will catch on somewhere as a bench player, and do well. That is if he doesn't stay in NY.

To your last point. If Phil decided to find a quality GM. One who just doesn't do "paperwork". A GM who will tell Phil to put down the bong (diplomatically) when he comes up with some of these trades, the team would be much better off.

Let Phil focus on turning the Knicks into one of the best run organizations in the league. Phil should see it as his next challenge. Because too much of him still wishes he could be part of the game.

Its time for Phil to let it go and be the best team president he can. The most impactful way he can do that is to hire the best GM he can, and let Jeff run the team any way he wants. That's what most team presidents do.

Not calling for Phil to be fired, just want him to focus mainly on revamping the front office. Thats where he can do the most good as an exec, and leave a legacy he can be proud of.

it sad when were looking guys like Baker and randle as players that will take us to the next level

ES
GustavBahler

4/25/2017  1:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

it sad when were looking guys like Baker and randle as players that will take us to the next level

Runs the gamut here. Some picks, signings, are treated like stars without really deserving it. Some bench players who have shown that they can be good role players in time are talked down. Because they dont play like starters, right out of the gate.

matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
4/25/2017  1:59 PM
Exactly ^ Look at all the players, young and vets, in the playoffs right now that were former Knicks. I don't understand how anyone thinks Phil has a plan and isn't just making it up as he goes along.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2017  2:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I call straight BS on this post. Who has said that? Next level? Come on man

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

4/25/2017  3:10 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
matt wrote:You don't see any "defiance" from the Spurs players because the Spurs organization doesn't do dumb ****. I like KP doing this. Put the pressure on the Knicks instead of letting them they think they know best because if anything is undeniably true, they don't.
This.

+2

nixluva
USA
4/25/2017  3:23 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I call straight BS on this post. Who has said that? Next level? Come on man

This is the problem with a lot of Knicks Fans. There's no sense of reason regarding this team.
If we got rid of Phil it wouldn't guarantee immediate change in the team's fortunes. This is a long term problem that Phil tried to find a quick fix for but now it's clear that couldn't be done.

So now Phil has to focus on the only successful part of his work. YOUTH! This is how Phil can build for success LONG TERM! His Principles of Defense, Ball and Player Movement will find more receptiveness with the younger talent which has been proven already.

Only KP seems to have been infected with the attitudes of the Vets which is RESISTANT to Phil's Principles and need to go. We don't need these kids learning the wrong things from selfish vets!!!

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2017  4:40 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705408-kristaps-porzingis-absolutely-wants-to-stay-with-knicks-talks-on-phil-jackson

As a player who wants to be leader someday—when I saw things we need to change and be better at—I tried to speak up in the locker room. But there are many players used to playing this kind of basketball for more than ten years so you can’t change them. Coaches can try but it is what it is.

In a one way this was a good year for me to see how can I handle so crappy a time and learn from that. It was unpleasant but valuable experience to learn from, to get through it and continue to play with the right attitude and maximum concentration. If you want to be a leader you have to start with yourself — first you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: what can you do better? And only then tell your teammates what they should do better…a real test for the brains.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
4/25/2017  5:01 PM
fishmike wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705408-kristaps-porzingis-absolutely-wants-to-stay-with-knicks-talks-on-phil-jackson

As a player who wants to be leader someday—when I saw things we need to change and be better at—I tried to speak up in the locker room. But there are many players used to playing this kind of basketball for more than ten years so you can’t change them. Coaches can try but it is what it is.

In a one way this was a good year for me to see how can I handle so crappy a time and learn from that. It was unpleasant but valuable experience to learn from, to get through it and continue to play with the right attitude and maximum concentration. If you want to be a leader you have to start with yourself — first you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: what can you do better? And only then tell your teammates what they should do better…a real test for the brains.

This is why Phil has to get rid of RESISTANT VETS! This team needs players that actually LISTEN and give max effort on both ends. All the drama will calm down once we clean out the guys that simply refuse to buy in.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2017  5:20 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Great post. I agree. I am really concerned about Phil's desire to mentor/coach versus working on becoming a better executive or making the front office better.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

4/25/2017  5:27 PM
fishmike wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705408-kristaps-porzingis-absolutely-wants-to-stay-with-knicks-talks-on-phil-jackson

I read this and remain perplexed as to why KP liked Melo's post that was post-Phil-press- conference, and why he blew off the exit interview. There is an untold story here. KP had some odd tweets and other comments this year. All in all, KP seems like a super smart guy so his behavior is befuddling. I don't buy that this is simply Melo and Rose rubbing off -- his quote above seems consistent with Phils criticism that you can't change a tiger's stripes.

Just like we didn't know about the locker room blow up, I have a strange suspicion there is more dysfunction than we know. My own guess is KP heard that Phil wants Melo out of town and that he is considering keeping Rose, and KP must have a strong feeling that that is exactly backwards. If you're keeping one keep Melo because he's his mentor, and get rid of Rose because he's too selfish with the ball (plus Awol and perhaps reserved in the locker room)

(5)(5)
nixluva
USA
4/25/2017  5:34 PM
Chandler wrote:

I read this and remain perplexed as to why KP liked Melo's post that was post-Phil-press- conference, and why he blew off the exit interview. There is an untold story here. KP had some odd tweets and other comments this year. All in all, KP seems like a super smart guy so his behavior is befuddling. I don't buy that this is simply Melo and Rose rubbing off -- his quote above seems consistent with Phils criticism that you can't change a tiger's stripes.

Just like we didn't know about the locker room blow up, I have a strange suspicion there is more dysfunction than we know. My own guess is KP heard that Phil wants Melo out of town and that he is considering keeping Rose, and KP must have a strong feeling that that is exactly backwards. If you're keeping one keep Melo because he's his mentor, and get rid of Rose because he's too selfish with the ball (plus Awol and perhaps reserved in the locker room)

Yeah that could be it. Hard to know for sure. In the end KP isn't going anywhere right now so they need to focus on his development and building this roster with the right players.

I actually don't think Rose will be brought back when it's all said and done. I think Phil and Rose said positive things to keep the door open if things go worse than expected and they have no other alternatives.

Chandler

4/25/2017  5:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Great post. I agree. I am really concerned about Phil's desire to mentor/coach versus working on becoming a better executive or making the front office better.

If Phil wanted my advice he would mentor Hornacek on coaching -- how to do whatever psychology to keep players motivated; in game adjustments (e.g., sitting under-perfrmers vs letting them play through mistakes)
He would also mentor on system -- teach Hornancek what he thinks is particularly important about triangle, and Horny can tell him how he's modernizing

All of that though, IMO, should be away from the players. It sends a weird signal otherwise, as if Phil doesn't trust Horny. It's fine for Phil to sit in on practices, even to discuss game plans with Horny, player development etc. Phil was not brought here as a contracts, number cruncher. He was brought here because he has a great basketball mind. However he has to avoid stepping on the court unless he is asked by a player or coach to do so -- otherwise it seems to undermine.

And for all of those saying let Horny be Horny and Phil should stay out -don't be a dodo. Again Phil was put here because he knows basketball. Phil has a lot to teach a coach and Horny seems smart enough to know this and secure enough in his own abilities to accept input. (Unlike Fisher who was an insecure ding dong -- more interested in acting the part than in learning from a great)

And I agree with others that the team needs a GM who contributes. I am clueless what our current GM does

(5)(5)
Chandler

4/25/2017  5:47 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Yeah that could be it. Hard to know for sure. In the end KP isn't going anywhere right now so they need to focus on his development and building this roster with the right players.

I actually don't think Rose will be brought back when it's all said and done. I think Phil and Rose said positive things to keep the door open if things go worse than expected and they have no other alternatives.

it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Melo if nothing else has been nice to KP since after he was drafted (ignore the draft day rumors). And KP has spoke well of him on a number of occasions. In contrast, Rose has literally ignored KP during the game, seems more interested in his next contract then in the team, and doesn't seem like a warm and fuzzy guy, which Melo and KP both are. KP must be saying why are you trashing Melo publicly but for AWOL-ROSE you're entertaining an encore performance and saying he did some things well (Yo Phil ball is sticky in Rose's hands too). If I were KP I would be thoroughly confused and wondering if the team has its head up its butt.

I am hoping the team cuts it loses with Rose. No deal is a good deal -- none.

(5)(5)
GustavBahler

4/25/2017  6:02 PM
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

If Phil wanted my advice he would mentor Hornacek on coaching -- how to do whatever psychology to keep players motivated; in game adjustments (e.g., sitting under-perfrmers vs letting them play through mistakes)
He would also mentor on system -- teach Hornancek what he thinks is particularly important about triangle, and Horny can tell him how he's modernizing

All of that though, IMO, should be away from the players. It sends a weird signal otherwise, as if Phil doesn't trust Horny. It's fine for Phil to sit in on practices, even to discuss game plans with Horny, player development etc. Phil was not brought here as a contracts, number cruncher. He was brought here because he has a great basketball mind. However he has to avoid stepping on the court unless he is asked by a player or coach to do so -- otherwise it seems to undermine.

And for all of those saying let Horny be Horny and Phil should stay out -don't be a dodo. Again Phil was put here because he knows basketball. Phil has a lot to teach a coach and Horny seems smart enough to know this and secure enough in his own abilities to accept input. (Unlike Fisher who was an insecure ding dong -- more interested in acting the part than in learning from a great)

And I agree with others that the team needs a GM who contributes. I am clueless what our current GM does

Hey Tweety, whats the record of the coaches in Phil Jackson's coaching tree? Pretty sure the one season in Phoenix where Hornacek didnt have to deal with mgmt interference, he had a better winning pct than all of them. When mgmt lets him coach, Jeff had the team competing in a tough Western conference. Former players said that the subsequent losing was because of mgmt. interference, not the coach.

No one said that Phil cant give Hornacek advice, but this is well beyond that. Its coaching by proxy.
Phil can help Jeff without dictating the offense and its implimentation.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2017  6:03 PM
Chandler wrote:

That is an interesting idea about Rose/Melo. Phil did resign Melo but he has been very reluctant to give him credit and seemed to want to move out any player that he didn't bring in. He brought in Rose so maybe he wants to try to make that work. Rose also lines up nicely as the topic for next year's press conference either as the injury that held the Knicks back or the player that sabotaged the triangle.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/25/2017  6:26 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:

That is an interesting idea about Rose/Melo. Phil did resign Melo but he has been very reluctant to give him credit and seemed to want to move out any player that he didn't bring in. He brought in Rose so maybe he wants to try to make that work. Rose also lines up nicely as the topic for next year's press conference either as the injury that held the Knicks back or the player that sabotaged the triangle.

This does seem plausible and would also supply support to why Noah was needed more. I believe KP said something along the lines that he told players and coaches what to do.

Even thinking about bringing back Rose would be dumb so there should not be any rumors this summer about bringing him back. Of they do try to bring Rose back it will be telling.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2017  7:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:

BS man. Of all the posters I know, you read and listen to the podcasts the most, so I am surprised at this take.

Phil rarely speaks in general. When appropriate - via relevant question, topic, etc. - he praises Melo. At this point I feel you are just blind to it and only hear the negative of Phil.

Rose also lines up nicely as the topic for next year's press conference either as the injury that held the Knicks back or the player that sabotaged the triangle.

At this point you are LOOKING for things to go wrong and taking any angle to put it there.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
KP press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy