[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP press conference
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

4/24/2017  2:18 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:The Wolves are as crap as the Knicks are, plus Minny has worse weather than NYC and none of the glitz. But you don't hear KAT yapping. Because he knows that as the future of the franchise, the winning has to start with himself. Something KP is yet to grasp. I hope KP's antics are well intentioned, and stem from immaturity, rather than a character flaw. But he is not moving in the right direction. Probably blinded by the big city lights reflecting off the huge crown on his head.

LOL...so you don't think Towns might have one of these moments if Minny finishes with 30 wins next year?

I am sure that the T-Wolves has its issues, and there have been arguments in their locker rooms, but no team is under the media microscope the Knicks are under and no team has the reporter base we have...a base that hunts for info and looks to provoke players.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/24/2017  3:12 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:The Wolves are as crap as the Knicks are, plus Minny has worse weather than NYC and none of the glitz. But you don't hear KAT yapping. Because he knows that as the future of the franchise, the winning has to start with himself. Something KP is yet to grasp. I hope KP's antics are well intentioned, and stem from immaturity, rather than a character flaw. But he is not moving in the right direction. Probably blinded by the big city lights reflecting off the huge crown on his head.

LOL...so you don't think Towns might have one of these moments if Minny finishes with 30 wins next year?

I am sure that the T-Wolves has its issues, and there have been arguments in their locker rooms, but no team is under the media microscope the Knicks are under and no team has the reporter base we have...a base that hunts for info and looks to provoke players.

people forget that this kid has been playing professional 4 yrs prior to the knicks, so he is way ahead of the curve. He is just noticing how phil is treating he own players, and wants nothing to do with that, he is noticing that phil cares more about his system than actually winning by any means

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/24/2017  3:13 PM
smackeddog wrote:KP is plummeting in my estimates. Putting aside the arrogance and gall of a 2nd year player pulling this ****, how the hell is it good for him to decide himself what his offseason regime is going to be rather than the Knicks staff? And to not consult the trainers etc? So he's going to spend it playing in the Latvia games rather than working on what we need him to work. Idiot.

Isn't this typical of all players? They have their own trainers, etc. if they can afford and maybe take direction from the team at a high level.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mlby1215
Member: #6486

4/24/2017  3:17 PM
I don't know, man.

KP may be GOAT one day, the best in the world, but still...I feel like how I look at him is changed forever. Maybe he is not next Tim Duncan or something.

Knicks FO needs some works. I get it.

He wants to play for his country. I get it. I agree with it.

But is it necessary to skip the exit interview to do so? I mean why? Phil would lock you inside MSG ? I mean, how could Phil stop you to do that if you said I have to go no matter what?

I just hope everything is his brother's idea.

KP made a power play, and it is not a good sign. I mean, he is damaging the authority of his organization. Sure people would think he did the right thing because no one likes Phil, right?

If he and his brothers think it is okay to make a power move, what if they did something more extreme next year because he wanted his brother to be a assistant coach? It would be no end because it is not a communication. He just used his popularity to put the pressure on his team.

I just hope it is one time thing and it is all his brother's idea. He just wanted to play badly and his brother gave him this awful idea to do that.

I know people may not like what I said. I know it. I am not attacking KP, but still...

mlby1215

4/24/2017  3:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2017  3:39 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/679w9w/porzingis_press_conference_in_liepaja_translated/

Porzingis press conference in Liepaja. *translated*

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/24/2017  3:46 PM
smackeddog wrote:KP is plummeting in my estimates. Putting aside the arrogance and gall of a 2nd year player pulling this ****, how the hell is it good for him to decide himself what his offseason regime is going to be rather than the Knicks staff? And to not consult the trainers etc? So he's going to spend it playing in the Latvia games rather than working on what we need him to work. Idiot.

Have a hard time understanding how you frequently downplayed JR Smith's behavior during his time as a Knick. But KP blows off one exit meeting and you're calling him an idiot, arrogant, among other things?

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/24/2017  3:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Have a hard time understanding how you frequently downplayed JR Smith's behavior during his time as a Knick. But KP blows off one exit meeting and you're calling him an idiot, arrogant, among other things?

I suppose it's because I expected more of him

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/24/2017  3:52 PM
Nalod wrote:He can call out chemistry. He speaks to the obvious. He is not making demands or diva like statements.

He skipped a end of season meeting which would seem like an important meeting to talk about what they coaches would like you to work on in the off season. No matter how much any of us like the kid, he hasn't done close to enough in this league to be skipping any meeting and calling out any teammates.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/24/2017  3:54 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I suppose it's because I expected more of him

You expected more from a 21 year old from Europe who hasn't been in the league long enough to learn the ropes vs. an experienced veteran who should know better?

KP has been a model citizen ,and a great representative for the Knicks. That should get him a lot more slack than JR Smith.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2017  4:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2017  4:04 PM
mlby1215 wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/679w9w/porzingis_press_conference_in_liepaja_translated/

Thanks for posting the link. That was very interesting and very insightful even tho KP was trying not to say much.

Hi guys. I translated some parts of the presser. I think I caught the main questions, left out couple I thought weren't so important.

First thing you did after arriving to Liepaja?

Kris: I went to the court (Basketball court he and his family built last year), to see if kids are playing there.
What news did you bring us regarding playing in our National team?

Kris: Every summer is really important to me, to my development. So I will be working really hard, and when the August comes, I will make my decision.. small pause I'am joking guys, I will be playing! applauses from the audience
We just decided it is time. I know that it will be a hard summer for me, I need to work on a lot of things. But again, we didn't make PO, so I will have time. Also, it isn't so much about me wanting to play, but that I think it will also benefit me.

Did you talk about playing with your teammates, or other potential members of Latvian NT?

Kris: Yeah, we were joking around with Kuuz. I said we will kick their asses in the exhibition games before the tournament. Its funny, Latvia and Lithuania always have brotherly beef against each other. ** Are there any business plans/trips in august that can interrupt your training process with NT?**
League(NBA) wants me to take a trip to the Africa in the beginning days of the training camp, so I will probably miss a couple of days.

Training camp starts 19th July. Kristaps will be in Africa from around 28th of July - 6th of August. ** If we take into account all things that happened during and especially at the end of the season in NY, did you talk about anything regarding playing in NT with them? What are their stance?**

Kris: To be honest, about the season.. and what happened at the end of it. I don't want to comment it right now..
Myself, I didn't personally talk to anyone, I think this is the better question for Janis.

Janis: I think its mostly his decision now. Yea, in first couple of years in the league, you aren't in the position to dictate what you want/gonna do.. But for Kristaps.. I think he is now in position - where he can.
Last year, we and other journalist talked to Carmelo and asked him about you, and he said it would be great for you to play for your NT. Did he said something to you during the season about that?

Yeah, I know that Carmelo values playing for NT very highly. But nah, to me he said, you better get ready for the season. But I feel he was just scared we may beat them if we met.

Guys, just please don't put it on any headlines. laughing

What about your injury`s, back seemed to bother you frequently ?

Kris: It wasn't anything serious. We made different kind of tests. But all they showed was a muscle strain. I just rested for a couple of days, and it got better.
And about my leg injury. First time when I came back from achilles injury, I kind of re-injured leg again.. But it wasn't anything serious.. But I told the teams stuff. And they decided it will be better to protect me and sit me out for a while.

So that's how all those missed games happened. It wasn't anything serious, just small issues, that we think could be avoided with better training regime.

Talking about NT again, how do you see your role in it? We all know on the Knicks, there are guys from whom we can expect 30-40 points, but on the NT, you will be the guy.. and someone, perhaps, will expect a big production, and being a leader, from you? Aren't you a little worried?

Kris: Worried? No! But yeah.. 30-40 points, it will not be easy.. :D
Its hard to say right now. We don't know what will final look of the team be, how we will play. But of course, I know my role will be big, and I'am ready for it.

Can you tell us differences between you first and second seasons?

Kris: I think the first season was more enjoyable. It was my first time, everything was new and interesting.
And it went by so fast. I think the result was pretty much the same, we won one or two games more in the first year. But the overall atmosphere on the team was much more positive.

This year(2nd one), expectations were higher, so when we weren't able to meet expectation, it took a hit on us. Overall mood in the team was a lot worse. But I can take some positives out of it too. It was a experience, and a needed one. For me as, perhaps, a future leader, I learned a lot.

What about next season on the Knicks? Where will you start to think about it? Whats the situation at the moment? If Phil calls you, will you be picking up the phone?

Kris: As I've been saying. I try to think about things step by step. So the next step is the National Team. 3rd season is faaar away, now the priority is my conditioning and readiness to play for NT and the Knicks.
What about your sponsorship deals? Are there any new offers?

Janis: We re-signed a new deal with BodyArmor. Also Citadele (Bank in Latvia).
Martins: Also we will have a deal with 2K. They have a game which is on mobile devices, and Kristaps will be a face of that game. He will be on the cover.

Also there will be video interactions with him in the game (I didn't understood, will it be in the mobile or the real one..), like a story. And they will make his player model better this year. ;)

How was it playing against Davis Bertans on the NBA court?

Kris: It was really fun. We are friends outside the court. And I think it was cool that we made history for Latvia, being the first two guys who playing against each other in NBA. But I was kind of mad that he made that three point shot from the corner against me, though..

*Guy asked a long question bashing Latvian NT coach, that he didn't have success in the past, and asked how KP feels about NT team lacking someone who can pass the ball. * Kris: I personally didn't work with Bagatskis (Latvian NT head coach), so I can't say for myself, But I know in Europe he has a reputation of being a very solid high end coach.
And about passing, I know we have a really good starting PG Janis Strelnieks who is playing in Euroleague. I didn't play with him before, but we will be working very hard to find chemistry on the court.

So going back to the last season in NY. What were the issues exactly that didn't allow you guys to meet expectations?

Kris: Like I've said before, I didn't want to talk about it that much..
But if you want something.. From the start it felt we couldn't find chemistry, and overall team that was assembled was.. pause I need to think about what I'am saying now. (Yeah, he actually said that :D ) Like from the start, it wasn't as everyone was expecting, so the pressure was raising, it didn't help either. Its hard for the team in its first year to achieve something, especially in NY. So all the small things just went wrong.

Were there a lot of moments when you were frustrated that you didn't get the ball?

Kristaps tries to answer, but Janis interrupts him.

Janis: Nah, Kristaps doesn't do that. We as brothers were pretty emotional, though.

Kristaps: Yeah, there was a time when we played on the road, and my family was together watching the game in my apartment, and someone got pretty hot, and broke the TV. :D looking at Janis

I've heard you have been talking to Mairis Briedis (WBC cruiserweight champion), about training together?

Kris: Yeah, Mairis has been trying to arrange a fight between us for a while now..
We have been looking to place where I would be able to train a little bit of boxing for a while. So Mairis offered his help with a place, and actually he will be practicing with me for a couple of weeks.

Question to Janis. Kristaps already talked a bit about his season in NY. What is your view on it?

Janis: I think it was great. His stats were up. If we consider the team he played on, I think he did great.
Other player were ready for him this year, did some homework. Remember those put-back dunks he had his rookie year, now everyone was just facing him, looking into the eyes, and didn't even allow him to get to the basket. There was a lot more focus on him.

But again, we went through a bunch of video already, and saw the things he needs to work on. And he knows those himself.
He is able to work alone, he knows the moves he needs to work on, so after that its about practice and repeating them again and again after you get better.

Overall it was a good year. OF course, mentally it was a bit tougher, when you lose so much, everyone started to look a bit lethargic. But he played alright even in the last games, did what he was supposed to do, of course there were bad game too, but that happens.

Question to Martins (he is kind of KP`s media representative). How big was pressure from the NY media in the last couple of weeks?

Martins: It was pretty big. There were a lot of questions, but no answers.
What are those things you think you need to work on the most in the summer?

Kris: Again, the most important this in my physical condition. We will be working hard on that.
And then there are some basketball things, we are looking to improve. I know that I have to bend lower, in pretty much every play, in the post, or just carrying the ball, so I can take contact easier and stay in my position.
Handle, shooting, we will work on all of it.

Did NY say anything specific about what you should improve in your game?

Kris: I'am in touch with one coach from NY. ANd our minds are pretty much in the same place, in regard of what should I do in the summer.

Kris, about those boxing trainings? Why did you decided to do those?

Kris: I just like boxing..

Janis: He needs to be in a good condition. So changing environment a little bit, will be a good thing.

How big for you was the Skill challenge award you won in an All-star break?

Kris: I mean, it definitely added some small positive vibes.. It was nice to win it, but It wasn't anything special.
Carmelo is a leader, and has a big ego. Also Rose and Noah two big names joined the team this year. How did that impacted the locker-room?

Kris: It definitely added some character. Noah is emotional guy, who always was playing in the right system, so he knows how to play the right way, and doesn't want to play differently. And perhaps, we need more guys like him. It was just hard for him, that he couldn't play on the level he wanted to.. So it was hard for him to be a leader. Carmelo, is a really chill dude, pretty much nothing can fire him up, and Rose is just quiet, he doesn't talk at all.

So yeah, Noah was the guy, especially in the beginning of the season.. He was trying to help the guys, told coaches what to do.. It was a hard situation. But he couldn't impact some stupid decision we made as a team.

Noah didn't play on the level we all expected too.. but he was the guy who could tell someone things he didn't want to hear.

Phil Just opted in another 2 years with the team. Do you think you will be in NY while you are on your rookie deal?

Kris: To be honest I don't know much about the deal. How many years I have left? Its a better question to Janis I think.
Janis: This isn't a very appropriate question. Kris still has a deal with NY, he was drafter there, and he wants to spend his career there. End of story.

newyorker4ever

4/24/2017  4:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

people forget that this kid has been playing professional 4 yrs prior to the knicks, so he is way ahead of the curve. He is just noticing how phil is treating he own players, and wants nothing to do with that, he is noticing that phil cares more about his system than actually winning by any means

WTF....SMDH

mlby1215

4/24/2017  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2017  4:15 PM
I have a bad feeling about his brothers. I feel like they want to decide how KP would be trained. And they don't seem like they want him in NY.

nixluva wrote:
mlby1215 wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/679w9w/porzingis_press_conference_in_liepaja_translated/

Thanks for posting the link. That was very interesting and very insightful even tho KP was trying not to say much.

** If we take into account all things that happened during and especially at the end of the season in NY, did you talk about anything regarding playing in NT with them? What are their stance?**

Kris: To be honest, about the season.. and what happened at the end of it. I don't want to comment it right now..
Myself, I didn't personally talk to anyone, I think this is the better question for Janis.

Janis: I think its mostly his decision now. Yea, in first couple of years in the league, you aren't in the position to dictate what you want/gonna do.. But for Kristaps.. I think he is now in position - where he can.

Question to Janis. Kristaps already talked a bit about his season in NY. What is your view on it?

Janis: I think it was great. His stats were up. If we consider the team he played on, I think he did great.

Question to Martins (he is kind of KP`s media representative). How big was pressure from the NY media in the last couple of weeks?

Janis: He needs to be in a good condition. So changing environment a little bit, will be a good thing.

Phil Just opted in another 2 years with the team. Do you think you will be in NY while you are on your rookie deal?

Kris: To be honest I don't know much about the deal. How many years I have left? Its a better question to Janis I think.
Janis: This isn't a very appropriate question. Kris still has a deal with NY, he was drafter there, and he wants to spend his career there. End of story.

nixluva
USA
4/24/2017  4:20 PM
mlby1215 wrote:I have a bad feeling about his brothers. I feel like they want to decide how KP would be trained. And they don't seem like they want him in NY.

nixluva wrote:

** If we take into account all things that happened during and especially at the end of the season in NY, did you talk about anything regarding playing in NT with them? What are their stance?**

I think his brothers are really trying to protect KP and if they think things in NY would hamper his reaching his full potential they they will do something about it. This entire thing with KP and Rose and Melo and Phil is going to be resolved this summer. His brothers may have been behind this PROTEST KP made. I can't believe he just thought of that himself.

I'm not worried because I believe the Knicks are on the right track now. Getting rid of bad influences and bringing in some young Frontline Talent this summer will rejuvenate the team and KP will have fun playing with Team Oriented players.
What Phil is doing now will be good for KP, so i'm not worried.

mlby1215

4/24/2017  4:33 PM
Yeah, I think KP is a super great kid. I love him. I hope he just did what has been told by his brothers. I mean, it doesn't look good if you complain your team is a mess but you make it worse. NY needs leadership, what he has done doesn't look like helping it.

nixluva wrote:
I think his brothers are really trying to protect KP and if they think things in NY would hamper his reaching his full potential they they will do something about it. This entire thing with KP and Rose and Melo and Phil is going to be resolved this summer. His brothers may have been behind this PROTEST KP made. I can't believe he just thought of that himself.

I'm not worried because I believe the Knicks are on the right track now. Getting rid of bad influences and bringing in some young Frontline Talent this summer will rejuvenate the team and KP will have fun playing with Team Oriented players.

nixluva
USA
4/24/2017  4:41 PM
mlby1215 wrote:Yeah, I think KP is a super great kid. I love him. I hope he just did what has been told by his brothers. I mean, it doesn't look good if you complain your team is a mess but you make it worse. NY needs leadership, what he has done doesn't look like helping it.

nixluva wrote:

I'm not a panic type of guy. So far KP hasn't done anything irreparable so I think with time he can straighten things out with Phil. Once we get past the Melo trade things will come to a head. That will be a new reality and KP will have to adapt to the new circumstances. He'll see that it's only for the best IMO.
newyorker4ever

4/24/2017  4:41 PM
https://twitter.com/hashtag/EuroBasket2017?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1555750
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/24/2017  5:29 PM
He said a lot of good things. What he says about Noah shows Noah's value here still. Melo and Rose clearly have no value. A young team that has Noah, Lee, and Lance as some veteran leadership will make a difference, without Rose and Melo in the picture. We just have to replace them with quality, young talent.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/24/2017  6:47 PM
Knixkik wrote:He said a lot of good things. What he says about Noah shows Noah's value here still. Melo and Rose clearly have no value. A young team that has Noah, Lee, and Lance as some veteran leadership will make a difference, without Rose and Melo in the picture. We just have to replace them with quality, young talent.

You can't be a leader in street clothes and right now Noah and Lance can't stay healthy. Also, Lee is not a leader and never has been. I love Noah but he has two things working against him, Health and diminishing skills but he is here to stay so I hope he can coach the team up but I would not be surprise to see him speak out like he did in Chicago.

matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
4/24/2017  7:05 PM
You don't see any "defiance" from the Spurs players because the Spurs organization doesn't do dumb ****. I like KP doing this. Put the pressure on the Knicks instead of letting them they think they know best because if anything is undeniably true, they don't.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/24/2017  7:20 PM
matt wrote:You don't see any "defiance" from the Spurs players because the Spurs organization doesn't do dumb ****. I like KP doing this. Put the pressure on the Knicks instead of letting them they think they know best because if anything is undeniably true, they don't.
This.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
KP press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy