[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Berman: Early Exit From Playoffs Will Force Ainge To Consider Melo Trade
Author Thread
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/21/2017  11:08 AM
i know it's berman, but i figured i'd pass it along anyways. just my musing; jae crowder/cap fodder/swap of 1st round picks would be pretty damn nice.

With the Celtics fading in the first round, the chances of Carmelo Anthony wearing green are increasing.

According to an NBA source, the Celtics coaching staff was in favor of trading for Anthony at the trade deadline, but general manager Danny Ainge had too many reservations. One of Ainge’s concerns, according to a source, was an Anthony trade would have given Boston no real cap space to work with for the 2017 free-agent class.

With the top-seeded Celtics possibly on their way to getting swept by the eighth-seeded Bulls, Ainge’s thoughts on adding Anthony could change this July.

The Post has learned that in talks with the Celtics, their defensive small forward Jae Crowder would be a major player of interest for Knicks president Phil Jackson. In fact, Jackson lamented not trading for Crowder when he was on the table in the 2014 trade talks with the Mavericks for Tyson Chandler. Crowder is an active, gritty defender who can shoot from 3-point range.

The Celtics long have been thought of as a sensible destination for Anthony because of their expiring contracts and trove of draft picks that will include the Nets’ first-round selection (Boston is seeded first in the May 16 lottery, though that pick is off limits).

Nevertheless, Boston’s expiring contracts — Amir Johnson ($12 million), Tyler Zeller ($8 million), Jonas Jerebko ($5 million), Gerald Green ($1.4 million) — become frozen on June 22. That means a trade is not likely until July.

The Celtics, if they renounce the rights to those free agents, could have between $25 million and $30 million of cap space to absorb Anthony’s contract if Ainge doesn’t have any success in the free-agent market, according to The Vertical’s Bobby Marks, the former Nets assistant general manager.

The rights to the Celtics’ 2017 draft picks could also be part of a July package. The Knicks have two second-round selections and the Celtics have three.

Boston trails the Bulls 2-0 as the first-round series shifts to Chicago for the next two games. The Bulls have been buoyed by ex-Knicks center Robin Lopez and young point Jerian Grant, both acquired in the Derrick Rose trade.

As feared, the Celtics haven’t had enough firepower in the fourth quarter, relying solely on 5-foot-10 point guard Isaiah Thomas, who has played the series heartbroken after the tragic death of his sister last weekend. Ainge reportedly has sought another sniper for two seasons.

During his end-of-season press conference a week ago, Jackson was likely alluding to the Celtics, Clippers and perhaps Wizards when he said playoff fates could be determining factors in Anthony’s future.

“You’ve got teams going into the playoffs who could be eliminated right away and say, ‘That’s not good enough, we’re not good enough. We’ve got to go somewhere else,’ ” Jackson said. “You lose in the first round, well, it didn’t work out. We gotta change some people on our team. So there may be some quick outs that may change some people’s minds as to what they’re going to do. We had teams that were interested in making the chase.”

Anthony has his no-trade clause and personal issues with a potential divorce ahead with his wife, La La Anthony, that could lead to a custody battle over their 10-year-old son, Kiyan. Anthony said before the trade deadline his family was a big factor in any decision to leave New York. But he also said “winning’’ was a big priority, too.

When the Knicks were in Boston in February, Anthony was asked if it would be strange to be a Celtic after growing up in Brooklyn and Baltimore despising them.

“It may be strange to you,’’ he said.

Jackson trumpeted his desire to move Anthony last week — so heavily that he drew a rebuke from the players union, which reported him to the NBA commissioner’s office.

A source specified the technical reason for Jackson’s desire to move Anthony, whose style is so rooted in isolation play. It damaged chemistry and prevented Jackson’s move-the-ball-to-the-open-man philosophy, the source said.

Players, the source said, deferred too much to Anthony, whether in the triangle or in Jeff Hornacek’s speedier attack.

“It’s just not how Phil wants to play,’’ the source said. “He’d work well on a team who likes to play isolation.’’

In his press conference, Jackson paid Anthony some compliments, calling him a future Hall of Famer and saying, “Obviously, it hasn’t worked out. This partnership together, somehow or the other, didn’t click here with this team. But he has done his role and played his role quite well.’’

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/21/2017  11:26 AM
Yeah no doubt, a package built around Crowder would probably be best-case-scenario. He is the ideal SF to put next to KP and Willy.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2017  11:28 AM
Given what we know now, I suppose Melo was not in a position to make that decision if his married life was falling apart.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/21/2017  11:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  11:50 AM
Knixkik wrote:Yeah no doubt, a package built around Crowder would probably be best-case-scenario. He is the ideal SF to put next to KP and Willy.

but he hasn't done anything for boston, and don't think he will magically turn into a go to scorer on the knicks..

Knicks trade melo, they better be getting back a 2O point scorer, when has the triangle even remotely wrkd with out a go to guy..

He's a sometimes guy

ES
wargames
Member: #6053

4/21/2017  11:48 AM
I mean this sounds sweet but it's Berman. The only full time beat writer with any credibility is Begley
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
wargames
Member: #6053

4/21/2017  11:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  11:59 AM
As always the basketball Gods hate us. It's being reported that Rondo fractured his Thumb..... so the Bulls may not have a starter quality PG the rest of the series.

Which is exactly the type of injury the Celtics need to rally back

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

4/21/2017  12:34 PM
wargames wrote:As always the basketball Gods hate us. It's being reported that Rondo fractured his Thumb..... so the Bulls may not have a starter quality PG the rest of the series.

Which is exactly the type of injury the Celtics need to rally back

Tape that shyte and get on the floor.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/21/2017  1:26 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Yeah no doubt, a package built around Crowder would probably be best-case-scenario. He is the ideal SF to put next to KP and Willy.

but he hasn't done anything for boston, and don't think he will magically turn into a go to scorer on the knicks..

Knicks trade melo, they better be getting back a 2O point scorer, when has the triangle even remotely wrkd with out a go to guy..

He's a sometimes guy

dont expect to get a bigtime player in return.id be happy with a couple quality supporting players and hopefully a first rounder. Either way its clear that a trade needs to and will happen
fwk00
Member: #6048

4/21/2017  2:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

Crowder is a system player, Bradley is too and both will get pushed out sooner than later. Boston is already very crowded at the PG position and will likely draft BPA will also will likely be a PG. They' ll have to jettison someone.and IMO that will be the most expensive guy of the bunch - Bradley. They love Smart and Brown and Rozier isn't chopped liver either.

But for a Melo trade to work, it will have to be at least Crowder and Bradley just in terms of finances.

The player who would be an outstanding get would be Brown but I don't see Boston letting him go.

Bradley would allow the Knicks to draft a swing player assuming that's what drops to them who would shadow Crowder. Not ideal but a step up both in chemistry and overall roster [2-way] talent. If Boston will part with their next year's draft pick, its a deal that could work - spare change going this way and that.

No, its not going to get you a ring but Melo [and Rose] would be gone. Horny would have a much better set of ears listening to what he wants to do - so lots of good stuff could roll out from that.

I think if this were to go down it would have to happen early though. Miami might swap for Dragic [cash and internal opportunity might motivate it]. Rubio is also a player the Knicks could acquire outside any Melo swap. Rivers [gag me with a spoon] could also be part of what looks from a distance like a tragic trade scenario [Clips have nothing of interest really].

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/21/2017  3:22 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

We dont need another one dimensional chucker (Ahem, go to scorer on the team). We are actually trying to get rid of the incumbent. We need two way basketball players at every position. Once we have that we can assess the value of a score as needed.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/21/2017  3:35 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

We dont need another one dimensional chucker (Ahem, go to scorer on the team). We are actually trying to get rid of the incumbent. We need two way basketball players at every position. Once we have that we can assess the value of a score as needed.

The triangle is a team oriented offense.... if we could get 8 guys that play hard on both ends for each other and buy in, we will be alright. I would actually prefer that than have only 1 or two superstars doing everything.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knixkik
USA
4/21/2017  5:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

We don't need him to be a go-to scorer. He's a very good defender, good 3pt shooter, can play the 3 and 4, and is athletic and young-ish. Ideal role player. 14-15 ppg scorer, which is fine as a 3rd option. We don't need to get a 20 ppg scorer back. We can get scoring increases by committee.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/21/2017  5:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  6:02 PM
The only early exit for Berman is his 6th lunch of the day exiting before dinner. He must be on these boards. Been saying it for days that a loss by Clips or Celts helps Melo's value. Can't believe I'm agreeing with the powder puff tennis reporter. Don't think they give up Crowder. One thing though, watched the other night and couldn't believe that he only got 3 boards. Also, have to worry that with Crowder, Bradley, Horford and IT, they are still losing to a .500 team. Think if you put Melo in that mix, they are better. Would not mind getting back Smart or Brown and a couple of seconds.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/21/2017  5:48 PM

I would offer O'Quinn and Melo. O'Quinn is on a reasonable contract, and would be a great fit with Boston's style of play. They would be getting a skilled veteran, and a younger player who is good and getting better. Something Ainge could sell to the fans, and also give Stevens a lifeline.

Not sure who to ask for back in addition to Crowder though.

Knixkik
USA
4/21/2017  5:58 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

I would offer O'Quinn and Melo. O'Quinn is on a reasonable contract, and would be a great fit with Boston's style of play. They would be getting a skilled veteran, and a younger player who is good and getting better. Something Ainge could sell to the fans, and also give Stevens a lifeline.

Yeah they could use O'Quinn. He helps improve their rebounding and that is one of the main reasons they might get upset. He would fit well there. Celtics have a ton of cap space. I would do Melo and O'Quinn for Crowder and either Rozier (who's a good defensive-minded backup combo guard) or their own 2018 1st round pick (not the Nets one) that will land in the late 1st round. That would be a good return.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/21/2017  6:05 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Yeah they could use O'Quinn. He helps improve their rebounding and that is one of the main reasons they might get upset. He would fit well there. Celtics have a ton of cap space. I would do Melo and O'Quinn for Crowder and either Rozier (who's a good defensive-minded backup combo guard) or their own 2018 1st round pick (not the Nets one) that will land in the late 1st round. That would be a good return.

Sounds like a good deal to me. This could work out well for both teams if they talk again. KOQ is also an above average passer for a big, something Stevens would appreciate.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/21/2017  6:29 PM
Rondo out watch Celtics win. I still believe the Celtics losses were more because their team leader experienced a loss in his life which is very understandable.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/21/2017  6:44 PM
wargames wrote:I mean this sounds sweet but it's Berman. The only full time beat writer with any credibility is Begley
I saw a Celtic writer say that the NY media is already starting rumors about a celtic trade. I think this is all coming from Berman at this point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
reub
Member: #6227

4/21/2017  7:05 PM
Why does everyone want to trade O'Quinn? He's very good and is a New Yorker. His contract is team friendly also. Let's just re-sign him.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/21/2017  7:17 PM
reub wrote:Why does everyone want to trade O'Quinn? He's very good and is a New Yorker. His contract is team friendly also. Let's just re-sign him.
It might be because the Knicks have Noah, Plumlee, Willy and KP that also play the five.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Berman: Early Exit From Playoffs Will Force Ainge To Consider Melo Trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy