[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

Author Poll
EnySpree
Member: #397

If all things remain the same and we had to choose.... who would you pick at #7?
Dennis Smith
Malik Monk
View Results

Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

4/24/2017  12:19 PM
Im not even sure if Monk is as talented as JR. JR has a more advanced handle and has better vision, but as much as a bonehead as Monk is, I dont think it is JR level.
The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2017  2:01 PM
TPercy wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
TPercy wrote:Dennis Smith. He is simply better at Monk at almost everything. We have to draft on BPA and not on whether the player is a triangle fit or not especially when we know that the player we are drafting will be a part of the cornerstone system we have in place for years to come while the triangle could easily dissapear. What happens after that then?
Its baffling how we are considering giving up a potential all star caliber player to an at best 6th man.

Smith had the ball in his hands 75% of the time at NCS -- how many 30 point games did he put up?

Monk playing off the ball I believe put up 4 +30 point games -- I don't see how Monk is now a 6th man. In fact he could be a top 5 (semi-PG) 4-5 years down the road. I love his wiry, springy body and his incredible balance.

How is 30 point games a good barometer to ones scoring ability? Wht about all of those countless other games where Monk failed to make an impact because his shot was of? Smith is a more potent scorer than monk because he can score in much more ways than Monk can.

I see it a bit different. Monk wasn't controlling the BALL. He's in less of a position to impact things if he's simply playing SG. Now if he's going to be used in more than Catch and Shoot looks then you can see him do more things offensively.

Monk is actually a good PnR ball handler. He's not going to show a ton of And1 ball handling but he's more than capable of getting in the lane. I think he's a Combo Guard that would fit better in the Knicks style since he's fine with giving up the ball early and often. He doesn't pound the ball incessantly just to find a way to score. That has real value in a Ball and Player Movement system. In a different system Smith would be superior for the role of a Ball Dominant PG.

ORtg DRtg
Monk 118.4 101.2
Smith 112.2 109.1
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/24/2017  4:03 PM
TPercy wrote:Im not even sure if Monk is as talented as JR. JR has a more advanced handle and has better vision, but as much as a bonehead as Monk is, I dont think it is JR level.

Monk is more like Lou Williams or as Briggs said, Monta Ellis...

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2017  4:15 PM
Uptown wrote:
TPercy wrote:Im not even sure if Monk is as talented as JR. JR has a more advanced handle and has better vision, but as much as a bonehead as Monk is, I dont think it is JR level.

The thing about Monk is that he's VASTLY more explosive than either Lou or Monta. Monk seems a little bigger than either guy. Lou is even smaller and less physical. Monk will be a very potent scorer in the NBA IMO. The comparisons are pretty much dead on tho.

The thing I see with Monk is that if you are featuring him a bit more he has a lot of potential to light it up. The NBA spacing will give Monk some great lanes and open looks IMO. If he's cutting to the basket often with his freakish hops he's gonna be a stud IMO.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/25/2017  9:16 PM
Interesting article on Monk. Lots of charts, videos etc.
http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/4/25/15347620/future-sixers-malik-monk-best-fit-good-shooter-defense-questionable-ben-simmons-joel-embiid
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown

4/26/2017  8:49 AM
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:

The thing about Monk is that he's VASTLY more explosive than either Lou or Monta. Monk seems a little bigger than either guy. Lou is even smaller and less physical. Monk will be a very potent scorer in the NBA IMO. The comparisons are pretty much dead on tho.

The thing I see with Monk is that if you are featuring him a bit more he has a lot of potential to light it up. The NBA spacing will give Monk some great lanes and open looks IMO. If he's cutting to the basket often with his freakish hops he's gonna be a stud IMO.

He is more explosive than Lou...Off the top of my head I was trying to find another current undersized 2g in the league who is a bit similar....One thing we know for sure, Monk's shooting ability is ready-made for today's NBA and will keep him in the league for a long time. He is a natural born scorer. Just need to pair him up with a big guard who can defend.

Uptown

4/26/2017  8:54 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting article on Monk. Lots of charts, videos etc.
http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/4/25/15347620/future-sixers-malik-monk-best-fit-good-shooter-defense-questionable-ben-simmons-joel-embiid

I think he does fit a need for the Sixers. Monk is the type of player who may not defend very well, but will have explosive scoring nights from time to time. Will probably drop 40 a couple of times....Dude can be unconscious and go on incredible scoring streaks.

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy