[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

Author Poll
EnySpree
Member: #397

If all things remain the same and we had to choose.... who would you pick at #7?
Dennis Smith
Malik Monk
View Results

Author Thread
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

4/21/2017  1:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  1:30 PM
Nalod wrote:Monk looks like Jennings. Smith like Rose.
Too soon, too soon!

I don't really get the Rose comparison in full to be honest. Yeah, they're both attack guards, but this kid's a distributor, a willing (and flat out better) defender and a better shooter.

AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/21/2017  1:28 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Knicks arent taking Monk

This makes perfect sense since Monk doesn't fit the triangle at all given his great off ball movement, cutting/slashing and quick/release distance shooting.

DSJ on the other hand is a perfect triangle fit with his ball dominant pound the dribble style, suspect attitude and complete stand around game off the ball.

Im not on either guy. Im hoping that the chips fall the right way and Tatum falls to 7--its not likely but thats my first preference. That Philly game might just bite us bad.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/21/2017  1:32 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Not the biggest fan of either, but Smith can handle the ball.

I see Smith as another Rose and can see him getting injured because of his high flying style.

Even though I don't want either of them, given the choices we should have, both have some major talent.

Have said this earlier...Monk will go to Sixers, assuming that the Simmons "point" plan is on track.

I also think, that like Rose, Smith is more of a scorer, and he will not use up his effort on the defensive end.

Everything here, my humble opinion, of course.

I see aspects of Rose in Smith as well. The injury potential scare. Be Smith's jumper is more advanced and he shows more defensive potential. But can Smith's iso game fit in the triangle. I pick Smith in a vacuum. But Monk might make more sense when everything is taken into consideration. I think I would punt on both and take Frank T.

Never know what they show in a workout.

I know there are debates on whether you put more emphasis on a players body of work...or the workouts they do for a team, where the team can put them through drills that show them if they fit in with what that team wants from a player.

Just found this series of video assessments... Have to say that when Smith is motivated he can be a good defender from what I see in this video- especially when he is on the ball... though there are moments where he reminds me of Harden when he is off the ball.

Just have to trust your talent evaluators.

This is why the answer is Smith. Too many people are just focusing on the triangle and how the player would fit in offensively as a scorer but they are missing the bigger picture. Monk is undersized SG that doesn't rebound, pass, or defend but Smith can do it all. Now will it take a coach to keep him motivated sure but it is also up to the GM to get talent around him to keep him for thinking he has to force it. I think it would be best to keep the expectations low and start Smith off the bench to begin the season and then see what happens.

I have to assume that these people on Monk just happened to miss his last 20 games or so. They mightve misssed that he cant handle the ball too well doesnt rebound at all and when defenses got a fix on him used size to bother him.

RIP Crushalot😞
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/21/2017  1:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  1:41 PM
Agree on both. Monk is a smaller version of JR that is not as good defensively. We all know how much Phil liked JR. But maybe it was JR being JR and not about his game. Smith is ball dominant. Can see all the negative reaction to him holding the ball longer than 2 seconds. Would pick Monk as he has great range and better jump shot. But think Phil picks others over them.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2017  1:33 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Too soon, too soon!

I don't really get the Rose comparison in full to be honest. Yeah, they're both attack guards, but this kid's a distributor, a willing (and flat out better) defender and a better shooter.

You see their conference record? 4-14. Is it all on him? No. My kid went to state, thats my team. It was a bad year. He is good, and he will be a good pro. He is a good defender.
He does remind me of the good Steve Francis.

WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

4/21/2017  2:26 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:well briggs says that 18yo malik monk is going to remain at 200lbs the rest of his life, so why would i want him?

Yeah - I would definitely go with Brunson Jr (elite athlete) over Monk who is very pedestrian and does nothing at NBA level to be considered a top 10 pick.

I don't like Monk's ability to --- score from anywhere, score off the catch, bounce, mid-range, long-range, off glass, floaters or dunks and I hate his lightening quick release, great wrist action, high-release, elevation, toughness or his clutch shot making.

I hate all that stuff -- give me Brunson or some stiff big instead (Frank Kaminsky rings a bell - can we trade #7 for Big Frank the Tank).

Brunson dropped out of the draft, by the way...I posted it somewhere.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BRIGGS
4/21/2017  2:59 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:well briggs says that 18yo malik monk is going to remain at 200lbs the rest of his life, so why would i want him?

Yeah - I would definitely go with Brunson Jr (elite athlete) over Monk who is very pedestrian and does nothing at NBA level to be considered a top 10 pick.

I don't like Monk's ability to --- score from anywhere, score off the catch, bounce, mid-range, long-range, off glass, floaters or dunks and I hate his lightening quick release, great wrist action, high-release, elevation, toughness or his clutch shot making.

I hate all that stuff -- give me Brunson or some stiff big instead (Frank Kaminsky rings a bell - can we trade #7 for Big Frank the Tank).

He dropped out of the draft but IMHO--he was a better pro PG prospect than Monk.

RIP Crushalot😞
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/21/2017  3:14 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

He dropped out of the draft but IMHO--he was a better pro PG prospect than Monk.

Monk is not a PG in my eyes...never has been.

As I've said a number of times, though, he is a perfect fit on Philly, who might prefer a BJ Armstrong type guard over one who has the ball all the time.

Strangely enough, the only system he might be a lead guard in might just be the Triangle, but then you take away the thing he does best, his long range shooting.

He showed nothing in the end to make me think he's an NBA type PG, and I have doubts that he can defend against NBA 2s...

...but we will see. Maybe he surprises in workouts. Remember, Calipari's system hides certain players for the sake of team play.

Who knows?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/21/2017  3:14 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I think he is a 31st in the mode of McCollum/Beal/Thompson. McCollum had time in school to work on his dribbling and even then he landed in a great situation that didn't force him into a starters role giving him more time. Beal has improved his game and dribbling but it took a while however he is still not a good defender. Play is good but I think he is overrated by some. He's a good defender but not great and he doesn't do much else besides shoot. If you take a McCollum you have to hope he improved his handle and become a better defender or you might end up with a guy like Booker who is a high volume inefficient chucker that doesn't play defense,

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/21/2017  3:15 PM
Nalod wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
Too soon, too soon!

You see their conference record? 4-14. Is it all on him? No. My kid went to state, thats my team. It was a bad year. He is good, and he will be a good pro. He is a good defender.
He does remind me of the good Steve Francis.

Don't care much about the ACC and it's collection of Big East traitors lol, but I read from a good number of outlets that the NC State coaching staff was a crap show. I won't hold the record against too much. You're Steve Francis comparison worries. Francis had good stats, but you can argue he wasn't a winning player.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/21/2017  9:50 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

As I've said a number of times, though, he is a perfect fit on Philly, who might prefer a BJ Armstrong type guard over one who has the ball all the time.

Strangely enough, the only system he might be a lead guard in might just be the Triangle, but then you take away the thing he does best, his long range shooting.

He showed nothing in the end to make me think he's an NBA type PG, and I have doubts that he can defend against NBA 2s...

...but we will see. Maybe he surprises in workouts. Remember, Calipari's system hides certain players for the sake of team play.

Who knows?

I don't disagree with anything you said above but I'd ask did Westbrook or Harden show PG traits coming out of college -- I'd argue no and Westbrook today is no more a pg than MONK - he simply has the ball in his hands.

On top of that he doesn't need to be a pure pg in our system -- if anything it's better he isn't a pure point. In fact Monk fits our system as a PG better than current NBA guys like Teague (ball dominant doesn't move off the ball) or draft guys like DSJ (ball dominant doesn't move off the ball). Monk could walk in here start as a guard and guard the other teams PG while at the same time giving us an electric athlete/scorer that fits the system almost perfectly.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/22/2017  9:34 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Who knows?

I don't disagree with anything you said above but I'd ask did Westbrook or Harden show PG traits coming out of college -- I'd argue no and Westbrook today is no more a pg than MONK - he simply has the ball in his hands.

On top of that he doesn't need to be a pure pg in our system -- if anything it's better he isn't a pure point. In fact Monk fits our system as a PG better than current NBA guys like Teague (ball dominant doesn't move off the ball) or draft guys like DSJ (ball dominant doesn't move off the ball). Monk could walk in here start as a guard and guard the other teams PG while at the same time giving us an electric athlete/scorer that fits the system almost perfectly.

YUP! This doesn't mean we are putting Monk ahead of all other options. Monk just happens to have the Team Oriented game. He's not Ball Dominant but he does have enough passing talent to be a guard in our style of play. In fact I think Monk would look even more dynamic in our Motion offense with all the cuts, curls, PnR and Dribble Hand Offs.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/22/2017  10:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/22/2017  12:15 PM
I've been on the Dennis Smith bandwagon for some time....He's the prototypical lead guard in the today's NBA...If he's sitting there and Isaac's, Tatum and Fox are gone, this might be my pick....HOWEVER, former Kentucky players have been flourishing in the NBA as of late....Murray, Booker, Ulis, Cousins, Davis, Wall, Bledsoe, Towns etc....Because of this Monk is very, very intriguing. Most of the former Kentucky players seem to show another gear in the NBA.

I wonder if some of the so-called short comings of Monk, I.E. being a play maker, etc... are not due to his lack of play making ability but the fact that he played his role for the betterment of the Wildcats. Who knew Davis was this good offensively when he was in college? Who knew Booker would be this explosive? Murray? I feel like there might be more to Monks game than he showed. We know one thing, he's a world class shooter and an explosive scorer which will translate easily to the NBA. If he's sitting there, he will be very hard to pass on....

TPercy
Member: #5748

4/22/2017  11:25 AM
Dennis Smith. He is simply better at Monk at almost everything. We have to draft on BPA and not on whether the player is a triangle fit or not especially when we know that the player we are drafting will be a part of the cornerstone system we have in place for years to come while the triangle could easily dissapear. What happens after that then?
Its baffling how we are considering giving up a potential all star caliber player to an at best 6th man.
The Future is Bright!
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/22/2017  11:36 AM
Uptown wrote:I've been on the Dennis Smith bandwagon for some time....He's the prototypical lead guard in the today's NBA...If he's sitting there and Isaac's, Tatum and Fox are gone, this might be my pick....HOWEVER, former Kentucky players have been flourishing in the NBA as of late....Murray, Booker, Ulis, Cousins, Davis, Wall, Bledsoe, Towns etc....Because of this Monk is very, very intriguing. Most of the former Kentucky players seem to show another gear in the NBA.

I wonder if some of the so-called short comings of Monk, I.E. being a play maker, etc... are not due to his lack of play making ability but the fact that he played his role for the betterment of the Wildcats. Who knew Davis was this good offensively when he was in college? Who knew Booker would be this explosive? Murray? I feel like there might be more to Monks game than he showed. We one one thing, he's a world class shooter and an explosive scorer which will translate easily to the NBA. If he's sitting there, he will be very hard to pass on....

There have been busts too. But yes Kentucky players know why they went to Kentucky in the first place.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/22/2017  11:37 AM
Uptown wrote:I've been on the Dennis Smith bandwagon for some time....He's the prototypical lead guard in the today's NBA...If he's sitting there and Isaac's, Tatum and Fox are gone, this might be my pick....HOWEVER, former Kentucky players have been flourishing in the NBA as of late....Murray, Booker, Ulis, Cousins, Davis, Wall, Bledsoe, Towns etc....Because of this Monk is very, very intriguing. Most of the former Kentucky players seem to show another gear in the NBA.

I wonder if some of the so-called short comings of Monk, I.E. being a play maker, etc... are not due to his lack of play making ability but the fact that he played his role for the betterment of the Wildcats. Who knew Davis was this good offensively when he was in college? Who knew Booker would be this explosive? Murray? I feel like there might be more to Monks game than he showed. We one one thing, he's a world class shooter and an explosive scorer which will translate easily to the NBA. If he's sitting there, he will be very hard to pass on....

There have been busts too. But yes Kentucky players know why they went to Kentucky in the first place.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

4/22/2017  11:58 AM
I'm leaning towards Monk

After

Jackson
Fultz
Ball
Fox
Isaac

I think 6th BPA is Monk.

He may be JR 2.0 but he may also become much better
I think JR is his floor

His ceiling is close to an all star

And in the Triangle he would learn to be a willing passer and how to look for the open man.

LivingLegend

4/22/2017  1:17 PM
nixluva wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Who knows?

YUP! This doesn't mean we are putting Monk ahead of all other options. Monk just happens to have the Team Oriented game. He's not Ball Dominant but he does have enough passing talent to be a guard in our style of play. In fact I think Monk would look even more dynamic in our Motion offense with all the cuts, curls, PnR and Dribble Hand Offs.

Yes agree on the last part of you post.

Monk played 90% off the ball with relentless non stop movement -- this is the type of player we need in what Phil wants to do and he is someone the D will have to track, chase and respect. He also showed some really nice chemistry with Bam when he attacked the rim then hit Bam on lobs or they played pick roll off each other. He could do same with KP / Willy.

LivingLegend

4/22/2017  1:21 PM
TPercy wrote:Dennis Smith. He is simply better at Monk at almost everything. We have to draft on BPA and not on whether the player is a triangle fit or not especially when we know that the player we are drafting will be a part of the cornerstone system we have in place for years to come while the triangle could easily dissapear. What happens after that then?
Its baffling how we are considering giving up a potential all star caliber player to an at best 6th man.

Smith had the ball in his hands 75% of the time at NCS -- how many 30 point games did he put up?

Monk playing off the ball I believe put up 4 +30 point games -- I don't see how Monk is now a 6th man. In fact he could be a top 5 (semi-PG) 4-5 years down the road. I love his wiry, springy body and his incredible balance.

LivingLegend

4/22/2017  1:24 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I'm leaning towards Monk

After

Jackson
Fultz
Ball
Fox
Isaac

I think 6th BPA is Monk.

He may be JR 2.0 but he may also become much better
I think JR is his floor

His ceiling is close to an all star

And in the Triangle he would learn to be a willing passer and how to look for the open man.

Monk showed more effort in 1 year at U.K. Than JR has in 10+ years in th e NBA. If we are saying Monk has the talent of JR we better be picking him because JR issue was never talent.

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy