[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ringer article - The king of the triangle is gesturing at accountability while passing the buck
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/19/2017  10:22 AM
I thought this was a well written summary of Phil frustration some Knicks fans feel -

https://theringer.com/phil-jackson-new-york-knicks-mismanagement-carmelo-anthony-ff11179012f3

Phil Jackson Has Run the Knicks Into the Ground

by Jason Concepcion

The king of the triangle is gesturing at accountability while passing the buck — and alienating his team’s longest-tenured player

In March 2014, when James Dolan, the rumpled regional cable empire heir and owner of the Knicks, hired Phil Jackson, the move was simultaneously the team’s best hope at a return to relevance and a philosophical dead end. Best hope because Jackson’s unparalleled résumé of 11 NBA championships brought much-needed gravitas to the three-ring clown orgy Knicks, a team that had once considered the tottering zombie Andrea Bargnani as a building block of a championship squad. Dead end because the Knicks’ raison d’etre has always been the acquisition of big names — even if those big names are past their prime. Few come larger or more respected than Phil, and optimistic Knicks fans talked themselves into their peyote-loving savior. The subtext of the hire was this question: What would happen if even the winningest coach in NBA history — the man who shepherded Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq to the mountaintop again and again and again — couldn’t pull the sword from the stone? What would that look like?
The answer is several new species of Knicks ineptitude: an unhinged, quasi-religious fervor for robotic pinch-post actions; a player rebellion; an unexplained disappearance; the owner accusing fans of being alcoholics; the gaslighting of the team’s best player via paternalistic old-man blog ****ery; an iconic ex-player dragged bodily from his courtside seat and arrested on national television. And the old standbys which fans have come to know and loathe: a depressing on-court product, swollen contracts for players with shipwrecked bodies, a public relations regime that treats team news like state secrets, and the prospect of losing a beloved player to the churn of incompetence.

On April 14, Jackson gave his end-of-the-season press conference at the Knicks’ practice facility in Westchester. It was a fascinating display of solipsism masquerading as love for the game. Jackson proclaimed that Carmelo Anthony would “be better off somewhere else.” Beyond the spectacle of a team’s president rhetorically cutting bait with its star, this is notable because one of Jackson’s first moves was to sign Melo to a five-year, $125 million extension which included a no-trade clause. This was Jackson being too Machiavellian by half. The only reason to agree to a no-trade was to shift responsibility for any future deal onto Melo’s shoulders. The aim was an abdication of blame; the effect was a surrender of agency. Any trade involving Melo now requires his consent. Compounding this difficulty, Jackson’s comments effectively undercut his ability to recoup anything resembling value since now everyone knows he wants to move Melo. The stated reason that Anthony needs to go is, of course, his incompatibility with the triangle offense. “We haven’t won with him,” Jackson said of Melo. Anthony, in 2012–13, powered the Knicks to 54 wins and the franchise’s lone playoff series victory in the past 15 years. In Jackson’s three full seasons as president, New York won 17, 32, and 31 games.

Jackson isn’t wrong about Melo’s weaknesses. That’s what makes his comments interesting. Melo clutches the ball like a beloved family heirloom and is a mostly indifferent defender. Even if the rest of the team was interested in the ancient and robotic collection of post-ups and cuts known as the triangle offense (and there is no evidence that they are interested and a lot that they are not), Jackson’s preferred system would run aground on the reef of Melo’s #StayMelo style. In the abstract, the triangle’s principle aims of ball and player movement are objectively good for a basketball team. The irony is that Jackson pursues his egalitarian aims in single-minded, dictatorial fashion.

Jackson cares more about rehabilitating the triangle offense than he does about the Knicks. The team and its players are simply the vehicle, and the coaches are his proxies. Meanwhile, the players, according to numerous reports, don’t want to play the system. “We faced resistance. We faced it from the top,” Phil said when asked why the system hasn’t taken root in New York. In truth, the system, lacking GREATEST EVER–caliber personnel, has struggled to do anything except confuse players and lose games in large numbers.

In addition to handicapping the Knicks’ best players, Phil has also empowered the wrong people. There’s years of evidence that Kurt Rambis is a bad coach. He won 32 games — combined — in two years as the head coach of the Timberwolves, and coached the Knicks to a 9–19 record after taking over for Derek Fisher during the 2015–16 season. This season, his portfolio, outside of being Phil’s supervisor of ideological purity, is ostensibly to manage the defense. He did so to little discernible effect; the Knicks were one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league. The team is slightly below league average offensively, and looked, at times, pretty good on that side, especially when they weren’t running the triangle. Rambis is secure, though, despite all of this because, Jackson says, “Kurt has all the knowledge I have.” Which, again, is knowledge that’s been proved mostly useless in today’s NBA.

Most troubling for Knicks fans is the apparent unhappiness of Kristaps Porzingis. KP skipped his exit interview with Jackson in protest of the team’s dysfunction. The Latvian’s growth stalled noticeably this season. Nonexistent player development is a longtime Knicks specialty. The team has quietly drafted very well in the Dolan era. There are a raft of Knicks draftees playing major roles in this year’s playoffs — Nene, Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye, David Lee, Tim Hardaway Jr. (!!!) — whom the Knicks, for one reason or another, felt the need to trade, release, or let walk. Phil’s mission — to resurrect the triangle offense within the two years of his contract extension — compounds the team’s existing issues with young players. When asked at his end-of-year talk what he liked from KP this season, Jackson said, in part, that he was proud of a game in which Porzingis didn’t take a 3 because “they’re a cheap way to get points.” WHY DON’T YOU WANT YOUR TEAM GETTING CHEAP POINTS, JACKSON? The Houston Rockets are one of the best teams in the league based wholly on a strategy of let’s just go for all the cheapest baskets. The Knicks are in disarray, their players are in revolt, and their brightest young talent is already looking elsewhere. This guy should be fired immediately.

Allow me to sprinkle a few more choice Jackson quotes from his recent press conference on this feces sandwich that is the New York Knicks organization.
On Joakim Noah, whose body is disintegrating like a sand castle at high tide, and who still has three years remaining on the deal Phil signed him to: “He’s 31. He’s still relatively young.”

On Derrick Rose, who is bad and disappeared at one point: “Someone told me today that he’s still a leading guy in the league in scoring in the paint.”

On the triangle: “Somehow or another we got completely off course here in the idea that a system of basketball, particularly the triangle offensive, is an impediment to a basketball team. It’s not an impediment.” Phil’s Knicks have never made the playoffs and his players don’t want to play the triangle.
On his players: “There’s some rebelliousness to this team.”

The last quote gets to the heart of it. Teams are made up of individuals with their own goals. If Jackson hasn’t been able to convince them, by now, that the triangle would benefit them — that it could make them better players, or at least help them land that next contract — then the failure is his. Not theirs. Time for Phil to go.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/19/2017  10:34 AM
"Must find all written about Phil, me needs to show all to see what I see, yes, precious is my feeling distain for the Lord of the rings, He has not one, but eleven! but he not have any as executive! Me needs to show this, him nots what he say he is, HE HE, My precious......"
crzymdups
USA
4/19/2017  10:36 AM
Nalod wrote:"Must find all written about Phil, me needs to show all to see what I see, yes, precious is my feeling distain for the Lord of the rings, He has not one, but eleven! but he not have any as executive! Me needs to show this, him nots what he say he is, HE HE, My precious......"

Read the article if you have a chance to step away from your Lord of the Rings message board. It's pretty good.

¿ △ ?
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/19/2017  10:48 AM
Nalod wrote:"Must find all written about Phil, me needs to show all to see what I see, yes, precious is my feeling distain for the Lord of the rings, He has not one, but eleven! but he not have any as executive! Me needs to show this, him nots what he say he is, HE HE, My precious......"

more importantly, why are you obsessed with him lol. at least he's attacking phil, not you.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
USA
4/19/2017  10:49 AM
crzymdups wrote:

Read the article if you have a chance to step away from your Lord of the Rings message board. It's pretty good.

You mean the one that ends with "time for phil to go"?
The one that you highlight all the good juicy stuff that you want us to see?
That's a stretch!
C'mon man, what do you think converting me to your view would accomplish? Would that validate your position?
Maybe I should look in the mirror myself? Naw, As Long as Martin and FishMike agree with me Im good.
I just of instinctively know that KP is not free for 4 more years and this mess will be over before that. Maybe Phil is not the answer, but he is part of the process of cleaning the mess up, stop paying for bad trades and no picks, and building a base. I didn't see this as being a multi year process either, but the longer I see it the more I understand the sins of the past did some serious damange long term.

crzymdups
USA
4/19/2017  10:51 AM
Nalod wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That's a stretch!
C'mon man, what do you think converting me to your view would accomplish? Would that validate your position?
Maybe I should look in the mirror myself? Naw, As Long as Martin and FishMike agree with me Im good.
I just of instinctively know that KP is not free for 4 more years and this mess will be over before that. Maybe Phil is not the answer, but he is part of the process of cleaning the mess up, stop paying for bad trades and no picks, and building a base. I didn't see this as being a multi year process either, but the longer I see it the more I understand the sins of the past did some serious damange long term.

Uh I didn't highlight any text. Try a closer reading.

¿ △ ?
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

4/19/2017  11:01 AM
""The Latvian's growth stalled noticeably"

What a load of nonsense. He may still have ways to go to fufill his development, but he is comfortably a top ten Pf/C in the league now. If he can start moving the ball more and become more automatic in the post, then he will be unstopable.

Irrelvant triangle attacks aside, I see where the writer is coming from. Signing an incomplete player like Melo to be the focal point of an offense like the triangle is foolish; however, was the decision completely up to him? but then again even if Dolan didnt give him autonomy e shouldnt have built the team around Melo..

The Future is Bright!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/19/2017  11:17 AM
Thanks for posting this.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/19/2017  11:26 AM
crzymdups wrote:I thought this was a well written summary of Phil frustration some Knicks fans feel -

https://theringer.com/phil-jackson-new-york-knicks-mismanagement-carmelo-anthony-ff11179012f3

Phil Jackson Has Run the Knicks Into the Ground

by Jason Concepcion

The king of the triangle is gesturing at accountability while passing the buck — and alienating his team’s longest-tenured player

In March 2014, when James Dolan, the rumpled regional cable empire heir and owner of the Knicks, hired Phil Jackson, the move was simultaneously the team’s best hope at a return to relevance and a philosophical dead end. Best hope because Jackson’s unparalleled résumé of 11 NBA championships brought much-needed gravitas to the three-ring clown orgy Knicks, a team that had once considered the tottering zombie Andrea Bargnani as a building block of a championship squad. Dead end because the Knicks’ raison d’etre has always been the acquisition of big names — even if those big names are past their prime. Few come larger or more respected than Phil, and optimistic Knicks fans talked themselves into their peyote-loving savior. The subtext of the hire was this question: What would happen if even the winningest coach in NBA history — the man who shepherded Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq to the mountaintop again and again and again — couldn’t pull the sword from the stone? What would that look like?
The answer is several new species of Knicks ineptitude: an unhinged, quasi-religious fervor for robotic pinch-post actions; a player rebellion; an unexplained disappearance; the owner accusing fans of being alcoholics; the gaslighting of the team’s best player via paternalistic old-man blog ****ery; an iconic ex-player dragged bodily from his courtside seat and arrested on national television. And the old standbys which fans have come to know and loathe: a depressing on-court product, swollen contracts for players with shipwrecked bodies, a public relations regime that treats team news like state secrets, and the prospect of losing a beloved player to the churn of incompetence.

On April 14, Jackson gave his end-of-the-season press conference at the Knicks’ practice facility in Westchester. It was a fascinating display of solipsism masquerading as love for the game. Jackson proclaimed that Carmelo Anthony would “be better off somewhere else.” Beyond the spectacle of a team’s president rhetorically cutting bait with its star, this is notable because one of Jackson’s first moves was to sign Melo to a five-year, $125 million extension which included a no-trade clause. This was Jackson being too Machiavellian by half. The only reason to agree to a no-trade was to shift responsibility for any future deal onto Melo’s shoulders. The aim was an abdication of blame; the effect was a surrender of agency. Any trade involving Melo now requires his consent. Compounding this difficulty, Jackson’s comments effectively undercut his ability to recoup anything resembling value since now everyone knows he wants to move Melo. The stated reason that Anthony needs to go is, of course, his incompatibility with the triangle offense. “We haven’t won with him,” Jackson said of Melo. Anthony, in 2012–13, powered the Knicks to 54 wins and the franchise’s lone playoff series victory in the past 15 years. In Jackson’s three full seasons as president, New York won 17, 32, and 31 games.

Jackson isn’t wrong about Melo’s weaknesses. That’s what makes his comments interesting. Melo clutches the ball like a beloved family heirloom and is a mostly indifferent defender. Even if the rest of the team was interested in the ancient and robotic collection of post-ups and cuts known as the triangle offense (and there is no evidence that they are interested and a lot that they are not), Jackson’s preferred system would run aground on the reef of Melo’s #StayMelo style. In the abstract, the triangle’s principle aims of ball and player movement are objectively good for a basketball team. The irony is that Jackson pursues his egalitarian aims in single-minded, dictatorial fashion.

Jackson cares more about rehabilitating the triangle offense than he does about the Knicks. The team and its players are simply the vehicle, and the coaches are his proxies. Meanwhile, the players, according to numerous reports, don’t want to play the system. “We faced resistance. We faced it from the top,” Phil said when asked why the system hasn’t taken root in New York. In truth, the system, lacking GREATEST EVER–caliber personnel, has struggled to do anything except confuse players and lose games in large numbers.

In addition to handicapping the Knicks’ best players, Phil has also empowered the wrong people. There’s years of evidence that Kurt Rambis is a bad coach. He won 32 games — combined — in two years as the head coach of the Timberwolves, and coached the Knicks to a 9–19 record after taking over for Derek Fisher during the 2015–16 season. This season, his portfolio, outside of being Phil’s supervisor of ideological purity, is ostensibly to manage the defense. He did so to little discernible effect; the Knicks were one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league. The team is slightly below league average offensively, and looked, at times, pretty good on that side, especially when they weren’t running the triangle. Rambis is secure, though, despite all of this because, Jackson says, “Kurt has all the knowledge I have.” Which, again, is knowledge that’s been proved mostly useless in today’s NBA.

Most troubling for Knicks fans is the apparent unhappiness of Kristaps Porzingis. KP skipped his exit interview with Jackson in protest of the team’s dysfunction. The Latvian’s growth stalled noticeably this season. Nonexistent player development is a longtime Knicks specialty. The team has quietly drafted very well in the Dolan era. There are a raft of Knicks draftees playing major roles in this year’s playoffs — Nene, Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye, David Lee, Tim Hardaway Jr. (!!!) — whom the Knicks, for one reason or another, felt the need to trade, release, or let walk. Phil’s mission — to resurrect the triangle offense within the two years of his contract extension — compounds the team’s existing issues with young players. When asked at his end-of-year talk what he liked from KP this season, Jackson said, in part, that he was proud of a game in which Porzingis didn’t take a 3 because “they’re a cheap way to get points.” WHY DON’T YOU WANT YOUR TEAM GETTING CHEAP POINTS, JACKSON? The Houston Rockets are one of the best teams in the league based wholly on a strategy of let’s just go for all the cheapest baskets. The Knicks are in disarray, their players are in revolt, and their brightest young talent is already looking elsewhere. This guy should be fired immediately.

Allow me to sprinkle a few more choice Jackson quotes from his recent press conference on this feces sandwich that is the New York Knicks organization.
On Joakim Noah, whose body is disintegrating like a sand castle at high tide, and who still has three years remaining on the deal Phil signed him to: “He’s 31. He’s still relatively young.”

On Derrick Rose, who is bad and disappeared at one point: “Someone told me today that he’s still a leading guy in the league in scoring in the paint.”

On the triangle: “Somehow or another we got completely off course here in the idea that a system of basketball, particularly the triangle offensive, is an impediment to a basketball team. It’s not an impediment.” Phil’s Knicks have never made the playoffs and his players don’t want to play the triangle.
On his players: “There’s some rebelliousness to this team.”

The last quote gets to the heart of it. Teams are made up of individuals with their own goals. If Jackson hasn’t been able to convince them, by now, that the triangle would benefit them — that it could make them better players, or at least help them land that next contract — then the failure is his. Not theirs. Time for Phil to go.

the phil lovers think he's going to rebuild by getting younger, for 3 straight seasons we have been hearing about rebelliousness..his hand picked roster..CLUELESS to say the least

ES
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/19/2017  11:27 AM
Nalod wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
That's a stretch!
you could post inaccuracies as you found or what you disagree with.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

4/19/2017  11:39 AM
good article, but as much as i dislike phil's rants and need for rambis to go ,badly, i do think that Phil and his team have added nice young base players. Phil might not know how to do things for the now,his trades are ****ed in the head and really don't work out but he has not handicapped the future.
i am a melo fan but i think he was expected to be like mj or kobe a leader but melo is not that type of leader. the best year we had tyson and kidd led the team and melo played hero ball now he was expected to play hero ball and lead. even in denver billups led he shot the ball.
but phil has given us a nice core for the future they just have to develop
Nalod
USA
4/19/2017  11:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2017  11:46 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
That's a stretch!
you could post inaccuracies as you found or what you disagree with.

I could. All I know is 31 wins sucks. Obvious there are no 31 win happy scenarios.
Phil has to go, then what?
Nobody talks about that, so focus on that by itself is not an answer.
Nalod promotes patience, tweeking, and understand the process of trades without touching the picks and not having much to trade with is limited.
I like Phil, like his bluntness and he took risks without leveraging the future. This franchise has so few assets it almost seems improbable that there were 6 teams worse than us!!
I didn't like the noah signing but hoped for better, im ok because Willy stepped up. That is what good teams do, have assets that step up. Improbable!!!! We need more of that. We succeeded with Willy because of patience, we created opportunity!!!!!! And that is sometimes balanced by bad contracts like Noah.

crzymdups
USA
4/19/2017  11:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2017  11:46 AM
Nalod wrote:
Nalod promotes patience, tweeking, and understand...

I think I see the problem.

¿ △ ?
knicks1248
4/19/2017  11:52 AM
After his first season as Knicks coach, Hornacek is still trying to incorporate a system that is foreign to him, armed with a Jackson-installed assistant coach, Kurt Rambis, who is beyond unpopular with the players, league sources said. When players want coaching and teaching, they get yelling, sources said. Most wonder about Rambis’ allegiances, because after all, he’s Jackson’s guy, not Hornacek’s.

The Knicks will revisit Anthony trade talks closer to the NBA draft in June, but Jackson’s strategy of publicly pushing Anthony out of town has backfired. So far, it’s made Anthony want to dig in to the final two years left on his contract and outlast Jackson’s regime.

For the Knicks and Jackson, though, Porzingis’ growing disillusionment threatens the Knicks’ flimsy foundation. Two years ago, Porzingis walked into New York as an earnest, eager 7-foot-3 talent who has been relentless in his work habits and appetite for professional growth. He trusted former coach Derek Fisher and the individual instruction delivered to him, league sources said. Beyond Jackson’s anger with Fisher moving away from the triangle, there were disagreements about how to use Porzingis in the offense and about how to approach his skill development, league sources said.

THIS IS ALL OVER THE INTERNET

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/19/2017  12:16 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
After his first season as Knicks coach, Hornacek is still trying to incorporate a system that is foreign to him, armed with a Jackson-installed assistant coach, Kurt Rambis, who is beyond unpopular with the players, league sources said. When players want coaching and teaching, they get yelling, sources said. Most wonder about Rambis’ allegiances, because after all, he’s Jackson’s guy, not Hornacek’s.

The Knicks will revisit Anthony trade talks closer to the NBA draft in June, but Jackson’s strategy of publicly pushing Anthony out of town has backfired. So far, it’s made Anthony want to dig in to the final two years left on his contract and outlast Jackson’s regime.

For the Knicks and Jackson, though, Porzingis’ growing disillusionment threatens the Knicks’ flimsy foundation. Two years ago, Porzingis walked into New York as an earnest, eager 7-foot-3 talent who has been relentless in his work habits and appetite for professional growth. He trusted former coach Derek Fisher and the individual instruction delivered to him, league sources said. Beyond Jackson’s anger with Fisher moving away from the triangle, there were disagreements about how to use Porzingis in the offense and about how to approach his skill development, league sources said.

WTF are league sources and how did they get into a Knicks practice? Either a player said it or this was someone close to a player that got second hand information and suddenly turned himself/herself into a league source. Or maybe it's someone from the league who heard it from a player's friend who heard it from a player?

That sort of BS is just that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
4/19/2017  12:18 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

I know, I can't go anywhere without seeing This!!!!!

Reality is if Rambis is not communicating his knowledge in a productive manner, Jeff should see him out the door with Phils blessing.
Do we not allow coach's to yell anymore?

Nalod
USA
crzymdups wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Nalod promotes patience, tweeking, and understand...

I think I see the problem.

LOL!!!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
IMHO this article is trash
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
4/19/2017  3:51 PM
martin wrote:IMHO this article is trash

why?

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/19/2017  4:09 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I know, I can't go anywhere without seeing This!!!!!

Reality is if Rambis is not communicating his knowledge in a productive manner, Jeff should see him out the door with Phils blessing.
Do we not allow coach's to yell anymore?

It is well publicized that todays players can't handle yelling. They tend to curl up into a ball in a corner. All I know Greg Popovich yells at his players all the time he is always riding them.

Ringer article - The king of the triangle is gesturing at accountability while passing the buck

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy