[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2017 NBA playoffs Thread
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/17/2017  6:11 AM
The Warriors have outscored the Spurs by like a point a minute since Leonard went down
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

5/17/2017  6:59 AM
Replay is not a good look for league.

Zaza took multiple steps and seemed to slide his foot under the landing

Two biggest issues for league are officiating and a broken cba

(5)(5)
Bonn1997
USA
5/17/2017  7:52 AM
Broken CBA? The league is doing phenomenally well under this CBA. I assume they'll make a change to the officiating for this landing position issue over the off-season. It's common for them to make some officiating changes in the off-season.
Chandler

5/17/2017  1:01 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Broken CBA? The league is doing phenomenally well under this CBA. I assume they'll make a change to the officiating for this landing position issue over the off-season. It's common for them to make some officiating changes in the off-season.

Yes broken. Tons of problems not the least of which is that if a player has a capped salary and really is worth max then almost certain they'll join a winning team and there's nothing the mediocre teams can do to sway him otherwise.

(5)(5)
Bonn1997
USA
5/17/2017  1:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2017  1:09 PM
Chandler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Broken CBA? The league is doing phenomenally well under this CBA. I assume they'll make a change to the officiating for this landing position issue over the off-season. It's common for them to make some officiating changes in the off-season.

Yes broken. Tons of problems not the least of which is that if a player has a capped salary and really is worth max then almost certain they'll join a winning team and there's nothing the mediocre teams can do to sway him otherwise.

Hmmm. I think everything you're going to say is wrong with the CBA, I'm going to say is a strength of the CBA. I'm fine with a player picking whatever team he wants to once becomes a free agent. If a team can't make itself appealing to FAs, that's not the CBA's fault.
Chandler

5/17/2017  1:32 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Hmmm. I think everything you're going to say is wrong with the CBA, I'm going to say is a strength of the CBA. I'm fine with a player picking whatever team he wants to once becomes a free agent. If a team can't make itself appealing to FAs, that's not the CBA's fault.

Why a player cap? Teams are making tons of money

FA thus benefits the good teams and mediocre or bad are handicapped when trying to use it?

And what about a bum contract. Player has 25 mill contract but plays like 10

In football that guy either renegotiates or is cut. In NBA team is screwdd. And it's not just Knicks. Many teams have been hurt by this. What's the benefit to that? Separate question is whether guaranteed money undermines player motivation and sacrifice for the team

Horrible structure. Yes league is making tons of money but that's not because of cba

(5)(5)
Bonn1997
USA
5/17/2017  1:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2017  1:37 PM
Chandler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Why a player cap? Teams are making tons of money

FA thus benefits the good teams and mediocre or bad are handicapped when trying to use it?

And what about a bum contract. Player has 25 mill contract but plays like 10

In football that guy either renegotiates or is cut. In NBA team is screwdd. And it's not just Knicks. Many teams have been hurt by this. What's the benefit to that? Separate question is whether guaranteed money undermines player motivation and sacrifice for the team

Horrible structure. Yes league is making tons of money but that's not because of cba

Eh, I have no sympathy for an owner who overpays. Part of the compensation for the players having such unique, unreplaceable skills is guaranteed contracts. If the NFL players association couldn't negotiate that, that's their fault. If the league wanted to put more amnesty clauses in (even like 1 or 2 a year), I wouldn't mind though.
When you say player cap you mean a max salary for players? I'm sure you've heard the arguments both for and against this before. I think it's working well the way it is.
Bonn1997
USA
5/18/2017  8:12 AM
I remember when people here were saying the Cavs should trade Love for Melo!
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

5/19/2017  6:49 AM
I don't like guaranteed contacts either. It creates a sense of entitlement. I think the NFL model is more equitable. In the NBA a lot of players with basic and non unique skills end up getting max or near max contracts. A guaranteed contact basically says you can stop doing your work and expect to get paid for it. There's nothing defensible about that.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2017  7:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/19/2017  7:18 AM
When you look a the list of players and their salaries, I see just a small % of players that are undeserving and perhaps more so due to injury. Mostly to teams stupidity. One can debate Dwight's value, but he was healthy and team made playoffs. Bosh got sick, Chandler Parsons injured. Melo healthy, but "bad attitude"?

Gordan Haywood was a t no. 40 last year. Noah, well thats a team decision. Guys like Fornier, Tobias Harris, Allan Crabbe.......Young guys that are getting better are debatable. Greg Monroe, very debatable. Ryan Anderson worth 18mil? Not really, but has he stopped trying or gotten lazy? I'll put Nick Batum in that class as well. Derrick Rose's contract was based on being a 22 year old MVP. I thought he physically played hard last year, mentally he had his awol lapse. His Adidas deal is awful, but not many MVP's fall apart so fast!

Mike Conley had a great season! Can't say he was worth it, but don't we say that every year as salaries go up?

Im not saying its absolute and there are not instances but I'd say the majority of players do fulfill their contract expectations and decline is mostly due to injury. Perhaps team stupidity is far greater than a players lack of motivation. Jerome James, Steve Francis, and Eddy Curry are three that come strongly to mind in that category.
http://www.espn.com/nba/salaries

Bonn1997
USA
5/19/2017  8:15 AM
Nalod wrote:When you look a the list of players and their salaries, I see just a small % of players that are undeserving and perhaps more so due to injury. Mostly to teams stupidity. One can debate Dwight's value, but he was healthy and team made playoffs. Bosh got sick, Chandler Parsons injured. Melo healthy, but "bad attitude"?

Gordan Haywood was a t no. 40 last year. Noah, well thats a team decision. Guys like Fornier, Tobias Harris, Allan Crabbe.......Young guys that are getting better are debatable. Greg Monroe, very debatable. Ryan Anderson worth 18mil? Not really, but has he stopped trying or gotten lazy? I'll put Nick Batum in that class as well. Derrick Rose's contract was based on being a 22 year old MVP. I thought he physically played hard last year, mentally he had his awol lapse. His Adidas deal is awful, but not many MVP's fall apart so fast!

Mike Conley had a great season! Can't say he was worth it, but don't we say that every year as salaries go up?

Im not saying its absolute and there are not instances but I'd say the majority of players do fulfill their contract expectations and decline is mostly due to injury. Perhaps team stupidity is far greater than a players lack of motivation. Jerome James, Steve Francis, and Eddy Curry are three that come strongly to mind in that category.
http://www.espn.com/nba/salaries

Agreed on all points.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/19/2017  10:31 PM
The more I watch these playoffs, I'm glad Phil pulled the plug on this team.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/19/2017  10:44 PM
Vmart wrote:The more I watch these playoffs, I'm glad Phil pulled the plug on this team.

Did he pull the plug after 29 games?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
USA
5/19/2017  10:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:The more I watch these playoffs, I'm glad Phil pulled the plug on this team.

Whatever he did he did the right thing.

JesseDark
Member: #467
5/19/2017  10:54 PM
Melo would not be of help to the Celtics against the Cavs, they are getting the brakes beat off them.
Bring back dee-fense
Bonn1997
USA
5/20/2017  6:00 AM
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

So we should just tank until Lebron, Curry, and Durant retire?
Vmart
USA
5/20/2017  7:51 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

We should build a team. That has talent going forward. I think you guys know deep down what I'm saying is right. This should be looked as an opportunity to reload. Who knows the team being put together might compete for a championship down the road.

Bonn1997
USA
5/20/2017  7:53 AM
Vmart wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

We should build a team. That has talent going forward. I think you guys know deep down what I'm saying is right. This should be looked as an opportunity to reload. Who knows the team being put together might compete for a championship down the road.

Is there anyone saying we shouldn't build a team that has talent going forward? Jeez.
What I'm not a fan of is praising Phil for tanking every year because all his moves backfired.
Vmart
USA
5/20/2017  8:12 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Is there anyone saying we shouldn't build a team that has talent going forward? Jeez.
What I'm not a fan of is praising Phil for tanking every year because all his moves backfired.

Praising Phil? What do you want the guy to do? He had limited resources to work with. This has nothing to do with praising him. I know he has made mistakes. Regardless he wasn't going to win a championship. This team could easily made the playoffs they were headed in that direction. The new plan going forward is something that I have embraced and it's the right plan for sustainable winning down the road.

Phils biggest mistake is not evaluating his top player properly.

Bonn1997
USA
5/20/2017  8:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/20/2017  11:13 AM
Vmart wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Praising Phil? What do you want the guy to do? He had limited resources to work with. This has nothing to do with praising him. I know he has made mistakes. Regardless he wasn't going to win a championship. This team could easily made the playoffs they were headed in that direction. The new plan going forward is something that I have embraced and it's the right plan for sustainable winning down the road.

Phils biggest mistake is not evaluating his top player properly.

$80 mil out of a 94 mil cap on Rose, Melo, Thomas, Lee, and Noah is an F-. That's all on Phil. What do I want him to do? Use the best available metrics as a piece of information when making decisions, or hire a GM who does and actually listen to that GM.
I would disagree that the team could have easily made the playoffs. They started 14-10 because they had a crazy number of lucky, close wins. They had a negative point differential, which means an almost inevitable correction to the W-L record. It was actually the same situation the prior year when the team was about 22-22.
2017 NBA playoffs Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy