[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Monk could be a triangle PG
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/26/2017  5:43 PM
You can see the passing and playmaking ability if you really watch him. He doesn't have d rose tunnel vision. His playmaking will never be on display alongside Fox, but he can be converted like Harden was. You can build an offense completely around monk, Porzingis, and Hernangomez. You will have to have wings who are unselfish, versatile on defense, and can shoot. Lee and Thomas can provide some of that, but obviously longterm upgrades would be needed. I can definitely see phil going this route. Worst case, monk becomes just a scorer who can provide secondary playmaking, but best case is he can use his elite skills and athletic ability and turn into a triangle type pg.
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/26/2017  7:11 PM
Knixkik wrote:You can see the passing and playmaking ability if you really watch him. He doesn't have d rose tunnel vision. His playmaking will never be on display alongside Fox, but he can be converted like Harden was. You can build an offense completely around monk, Porzingis, and Hernangomez. You will have to have wings who are unselfish, versatile on defense, and can shoot. Lee and Thomas can provide some of that, but obviously longterm upgrades would be needed. I can definitely see phil going this route. Worst case, monk becomes just a scorer who can provide secondary playmaking, but best case is he can use his elite skills and athletic ability and turn into a triangle type pg.

In the triangle, the pg brings the ball up, hands it of, and runs to the corner. There's very little play making (see jennings) and scoring is a 3rd or 4th option..When you think pg's, you better think on the lines of FISHER and KERR

ES
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/26/2017  7:29 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:You can see the passing and playmaking ability if you really watch him. He doesn't have d rose tunnel vision. His playmaking will never be on display alongside Fox, but he can be converted like Harden was. You can build an offense completely around monk, Porzingis, and Hernangomez. You will have to have wings who are unselfish, versatile on defense, and can shoot. Lee and Thomas can provide some of that, but obviously longterm upgrades would be needed. I can definitely see phil going this route. Worst case, monk becomes just a scorer who can provide secondary playmaking, but best case is he can use his elite skills and athletic ability and turn into a triangle type pg.

In the triangle, the pg brings the ball up, hands it of, and runs to the corner. There's very little play making (see jennings) and scoring is a 3rd or 4th option..When you think pg's, you better think on the lines of FISHER and KERR

Monk would play the 2 in the Triangle
The 2 in the Triangle gets same opportunities as a PG would

Still I wouldn't pick Monk unless he is BPA

Knixkik
USA
3/26/2017  7:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Right. He can easily be that player. Obviously in an offense where there's a lot of ball movement, cutting, and screening, he's a good fit. He's an elite shooter, so he's a weapon anywhere in the triangle.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/26/2017  7:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

But when did you ever see Rose or Jennings hand off and run to the corner? 🤔🤥🤥🤥🤥

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/26/2017  7:57 PM
Knixkik
USA
3/26/2017  8:09 PM
I know he's streaky but man can he heat up. You want guys that can flat out shoot and score. Like curry when he was in college, it's easy to focus on the weaknesses. Then 5 years later a guy like this is putting up 25 ppg in the league and you wonder how he didn't go top 3 in the draft.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/26/2017  8:18 PM
Uptown wrote:

Hahaha. I was gonna say. The more I see of Monk, he reminds me of JR Smith. He can get hot but otherwise seems to disappear. Though it's hard to scout a guy like him at UK, like Booker was.

¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/26/2017  8:21 PM
Monk started off the season on fire-- looked great. The last third of the season he looks like a second round pick. No way the knicks
RIP Crushalot😞
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/26/2017  8:47 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Hahaha. I was gonna say. The more I see of Monk, he reminds me of JR Smith. He can get hot but otherwise seems to disappear. Though it's hard to scout a guy like him at UK, like Booker was.

You don't touch Monk anywhere in the top 7. Ontop of that, I really hope we are not targeting guys who we think can fit the triangle at the risk of missing out guys like Fox and or Ball who can be a bit ball dominant at times...Lets just take the best player at our spot!

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/26/2017  8:54 PM
Uptown wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Uptown wrote:

You don't touch Monk anywhere in the top 7. Ontop of that, I really hope we are not targeting guys who we think can fit the triangle at the risk of missing out guys like Fox and or Ball who can be a bit ball dominant at times...Lets just take the best player at our spot!

Yeah BPA is always the smart move.
wargames
Member: #6053

3/26/2017  8:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  8:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Yeah Austin Rivers is the typical Triangle PG (which is why I believe those rumors they still want him).

Monk would be the SG. Funny coincidence Monk would also be the typical two guard in Hornecek's system as well. Frank Ntilikina would also be a combo guard that could fit both of those systems.....

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
wargames
Member: #6053

3/26/2017  8:59 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Yeah BPA is always the smart move.

Agreed, as long as it's not a center or PF.......

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/26/2017  9:02 PM
Uptown wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Ball can play in a two guard front in the Triangle! We haven't really been doing that as much but he's not a typical PG that constantly looks for PnR penetration. He does give it up early looking to move the ball. I think he would fit perfectly in the Triangle.

I think Monk would be able to be effective in the Triangle as well. Monk doesn't seem to force things too much and I think the spacing in the NBA will benefit him.

Knixkik
USA
3/26/2017  9:03 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Monk started off the season on fire-- looked great. The last third of the season he looks like a second round pick. No way the knicks

You judge guys strictly off their last game so I knew you would say this. Look at his season as a whole. He had a great freshman year. His scoring numbers are strong. And the system limits him, like it did Booker.

BRIGGS
3/26/2017  9:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  9:08 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Monk started off the season on fire-- looked great. The last third of the season he looks like a second round pick. No way the knicks

You judge guys strictly off their last game so I knew you would say this. Look at his season as a whole. He had a great freshman year. His scoring numbers are strong. And the system limits him, like it did Booker.

I think you do Knox. monk has been poor most of the last 15 games . I think hes been exposed as a smallish 2 guard who doesn't rebound or pass-- nor does he handle that well. Could he be a Lou Williams-- absolutely -- but he is no Knick pick 0/100 no chance

booker is 6-6 200+ monk looks 6-2 185

RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/26/2017  9:13 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I think you do Knox. monk has been poor most of the last 15 games . I think hes been exposed as a smallish 2 guard who doesn't rebound or pass-- nor does he handle that well. Could he be a Lou Williams-- absolutely -- but he is no Knick pick 0/100 no chance

But Monk is listed 6'3 200lbs 🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BRIGGS
3/26/2017  9:23 PM
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

But Monk is listed 6'3 200lbs 🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

I list my penis at 7.5 inches

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
USA
3/26/2017  9:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

You won't find me flip flopping opinions. I don't judge guys on small sample sizes. Monk is 6'3-6'4 with a 6'6 wing span. Booker is 6'6 with a 6'7 wing span. And monk is a much much better athlete.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/26/2017  9:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  9:33 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

You won't find me flip flopping opinions. I don't judge guys on small sample sizes. Monk is 6'3-6'4 with a 6'6 wing span. Booker is 6'6 with a 6'7 wing span. And monk is a much much better athlete.

Monk is a fantastic athlete... so is JR Smith though (and I'm kind of a fan of JR), not saying Monk has the head case issues JR has, but I see a lot of similarities in their games. JR can get red hot, I believe he's second in the league behind Steph Curry in games with more than 5 3pt fg for their careers. If Monk goes toward the high end of his potential - he's more in the Beal, CJ McCollum, healthy Eric Gordon world. But I think if he doesn't hit the high end of his potential, he could more like a JR or Jamal type guy... which would not be terrible, both guys have won Sixth Man awards... (And I remember people saying both Jamal Crawford and JR could both run point when they first came into the league and it just never worked)

It's just really hard to judge whether Monk can run an offense based off what we've seen from him. I've watched Kentucky pretty closely the past two months since it became clear we'd be a lotto team and I liked Fox and Monk. Monk can get hot and fill it up... but I don't see much else there. He's not a smart defender, and he kinda sinks into the background in UK's offense.

I think Cal ran a bad offense for Monk this year. He should've had him running off more pin down screens to free him up, maybe let him try to create off the dribble. But he was just sort of hidden (which is weird to say since he led the team in scoring, but definitely the last month or so, he sank into the background on that team)

¿ △ ?
Monk could be a triangle PG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy