[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo leads the team in deflections and is 9th in NBA in three point shot contests
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/26/2017  10:44 AM
fishmike wrote:opposing players (especially at the 4) vs. Melo have an inflated FG%. Melo isnt stopping anyone. None of his metrics show anything that indicates good defense and I mention #s because Melo completely fails the eye test. Melo's motor on defense was never his strength to start. He looks very old and apathetic on that side of the ball. Before my comments are quarantined into the Melo hate folder and ignored let me simply say again that Phil failed to put the parts around Melo that translate to wins, or those part under performed, or whatever and who cares. I look at Willy, KP, even some of the other young guys. We will get another prospect in this draft. Is trying to build a team around Melo what I want as their "NBA 101 - Intro to NBA basketball" first year experience?

We are not going to add the pieces that will get a Melo centric team deep into the postseason, or even round 2 for that matter. It just time to move on for the benefit of all the parties involved.

I agree it's time to move on. Melo's best seasons have been with a heady PG like Billups or Kidd who can run the team and a defensive stopper at center like Camby or Tyson. KP is a good shot blocker, but he's not the guy who's gonna lock down the paint and grab 20 rebounds in a big game. I just don't think Melo and KP are suited to play alongside one another. A big question I have going forward is whether Willy and KP can work on defense together going forward.

But obviously it's time to move on and obviously KP is the primary building block going forward.

I'm just tired of guys laying this season at Melo's feet and saying he's the reason. The team construction was way off. I think Phil tried to get a defensive stopper in the middle in Noah, but Noah obviously is past being an effective player. And even when he was healthy, the lineup of Melo, KP, and Noah was, to quote Phil "clumsy".

But the deflections and shot contests show me that Melo was trying. I think his body was failing him, but also the roster construction just didn't add up.

Anyway, I just think it's interesting. If you'd asked me who led the team in deflections, I don't think I would've guessed Melo. Ditto three point contests.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/26/2017  12:38 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:opposing players (especially at the 4) vs. Melo have an inflated FG%. Melo isnt stopping anyone. None of his metrics show anything that indicates good defense and I mention #s because Melo completely fails the eye test. Melo's motor on defense was never his strength to start. He looks very old and apathetic on that side of the ball. Before my comments are quarantined into the Melo hate folder and ignored let me simply say again that Phil failed to put the parts around Melo that translate to wins, or those part under performed, or whatever and who cares. I look at Willy, KP, even some of the other young guys. We will get another prospect in this draft. Is trying to build a team around Melo what I want as their "NBA 101 - Intro to NBA basketball" first year experience?

We are not going to add the pieces that will get a Melo centric team deep into the postseason, or even round 2 for that matter. It just time to move on for the benefit of all the parties involved.

I agree it's time to move on. Melo's best seasons have been with a heady PG like Billups or Kidd who can run the team and a defensive stopper at center like Camby or Tyson. KP is a good shot blocker, but he's not the guy who's gonna lock down the paint and grab 20 rebounds in a big game. I just don't think Melo and KP are suited to play alongside one another. A big question I have going forward is whether Willy and KP can work on defense together going forward.

But obviously it's time to move on and obviously KP is the primary building block going forward.

I'm just tired of guys laying this season at Melo's feet and saying he's the reason. The team construction was way off. I think Phil tried to get a defensive stopper in the middle in Noah, but Noah obviously is past being an effective player. And even when he was healthy, the lineup of Melo, KP, and Noah was, to quote Phil "clumsy".

But the deflections and shot contests show me that Melo was trying. I think his body was failing him, but also the roster construction just didn't add up.

Anyway, I just think it's interesting. If you'd asked me who led the team in deflections, I don't think I would've guessed Melo. Ditto three point contests.

Listen.. One thing that Melo is right about is how he talks about it being on his shoulders. Perhaps not the reality of it but the perception. He's the star player and by any standard he has under performed. Many simply dont need to look past that, and thats pro sports. You take the money you take the jive that comes with it. When KP gets maxed out after his rookie deal he will have to deal with that pressure as well. Hopefully he has more help and better management than Melo had.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/26/2017  12:55 PM
Melo's main issue is that he puts too much effort into looking to score for himself when he could easily have done even more of what he did last year when he had a couple of months averaging about 5 Assists a game. I mean that was the Blueprint for extending his career and helping the team as a whole to improve. Less shots and more facilitating is pretty much what Melo should've learned from last year. That would also save him some energy for defense. If Melo is still here next year I believe these are the things he needs to do in order to help the team going forward.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/26/2017  1:30 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Listen.. One thing that Melo is right about is how he talks about it being on his shoulders. Perhaps not the reality of it but the perception. He's the star player and by any standard he has under performed. Many simply dont need to look past that, and thats pro sports. You take the money you take the jive that comes with it. When KP gets maxed out after his rookie deal he will have to deal with that pressure as well. Hopefully he has more help and better management than Melo had.
A team can be built to be successful with Melo. The Knicks did that twice. I am not quite sure what Phil is trying to build but it hasn't fit with his personnel. Melo should go. I don't see the Knicks winning for a long time and I definitely don't see it happening under Phil.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
3/26/2017  3:40 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

A team can be built to be successful with Melo. The Knicks did that twice. I am not quite sure what Phil is trying to build but it hasn't fit with his personnel. Melo should go. I don't see the Knicks winning for a long time and I definitely don't see it happening under Phil.

Melo had the right approach last year!!! It's really not complicated at all. Melo fits when he's doing the DadMelo thing. For 2 months he was averaging about 5 Assists and that is the Blueprint for him to be successful here.

Be careful assuming the Knicks won't win under Phil. I think that all depends on how successful he is in upgrading the talent with legit 2 way players at PG, SG and SF. Any team can make vast improvement with the right 2 Way talent.

JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/26/2017  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  4:15 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Melo had the right approach last year!!! It's really not complicated at all. Melo fits when he's doing the DadMelo thing. For 2 months he was averaging about 5 Assists and that is the Blueprint for him to be successful here.

Be careful assuming the Knicks won't win under Phil. I think that all depends on how successful he is in upgrading the talent with legit 2 way players at PG, SG and SF. Any team can make vast improvement with the right 2 Way talent.

He did show us last year that he's capable of being an all around player for long stretches.

The fact that he's returned to his usual self just shows he's playing for personal accolades and the all time scoring list at this point in his career.

Carmelo Anthony was born to be a 2nd or 3rd banana from the start. He just got way too many years of being the focal point, and his flawed resume with empty stats is finally transparent.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/26/2017  4:28 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I guess I can only go by what I have seen so far. He appears to be pretty clueless in setting up a roster that compliments each other. He has no regard for continuity although you could argue that you can't have continuity if you bring in the wrong guys in trades and free agency. He has accidentally tanked three times. He gets credit for getting two lottery picks in the draft but his intent was to build a winner all three times. I am pretty comfortable with my conclusion that the team isn't going to win with him running things.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
3/26/2017  5:01 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I guess I can only go by what I have seen so far. He appears to be pretty clueless in setting up a roster that compliments each other. He has no regard for continuity although you could argue that you can't have continuity if you bring in the wrong guys in trades and free agency. He has accidentally tanked three times. He gets credit for getting two lottery picks in the draft but his intent was to build a winner all three times. I am pretty comfortable with my conclusion that the team isn't going to win with him running things.

His moves were logical when he had RoLo etc. Last summer it was a worthy attempt but how could he know Melo would revert from being DadMelo back to ISO Melo? He couldn't predict LT being hurt earlier which was a big loss. Rose and BJ should've been competent enough to win games and the start of the season was decent enough but the effort level from Melo and Rose was horrible and they stubbornly resisted to buy in.

You have to separate the results from the logic behind it. Also Phil purposely left options open and now he can go in a different direction in terms of going younger. His younger players aren't in development and he can upgrade with more young talent this summer. I'm sorry but this situation is more positive than negative despite the losing record.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

3/26/2017  9:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I guess I can only go by what I have seen so far. He appears to be pretty clueless in setting up a roster that compliments each other. He has no regard for continuity although you could argue that you can't have continuity if you bring in the wrong guys in trades and free agency. He has accidentally tanked three times. He gets credit for getting two lottery picks in the draft but his intent was to build a winner all three times. I am pretty comfortable with my conclusion that the team isn't going to win with him running things.

Steve Kerr did a few interviews when he was no longer the GM of the Suns and he was very candid and the interviews are really worth listening to, although they cover a previous CBA era and a different style of league in general at the time and place.

He pointed out that most NBA front offices understand that they are making signings and trades that aren't actually "good moves" but that with a limited talent pool, an actual salary floor and a directive to "do something" that teams have to do the best they can with the given players that would sign with them as free agents.

He also pointed out part of a GMs job is to manage the expectations of your coach and your owner, because your owner might demand you do this and that, and you know it's bad for your team, but you have orders to do it. Also there is a lot of pressure from the coach to get guys who can help right now, while a GM has to think 3-5 years from now as well, a coach is just worried about his job, this year and four years from now, odds are he won't be there.

Kerr said every front office runner or GM understands that they will 99.99999 percent of the time, only be buying time until they are fired. He said there is always inherent danger in trying to keep your job instead of doing your job, and that's not always the same thing. He also covered the struggle to make a "good basketball decision", one for the greater good of winning, and a "good marketing decision" one designed to sell tickets and advertising and keep the money flowing as a business.

Jackson inherited a "clumsy" roster with limited future assets and cap problems based on aging/injured/lazy guys who needed to to be shed off the roster. Not his fault.

He simply did not help himself much. His fault. He has and had limitations, that being said, he came into this job with no front office experience and it shows badly.

Melo doesn't have complete control over the roster and that Jackson got hired, nor does he pick the coach, not his fault

Melo doesn't play team ball, fails to show any kind of leadership and is a selfish player/coach killer. He's not helping himself much. In this regard, this is his own fault.

Both are part of the bigger problem, both could have done more to help themselves, the Knicks would be clearly better off in the future with both gone.

Right now, both sides are using the press to try to get the other one gone from the franchise. It doesn't look like either are going anywhere. Whomever wins, the fans lose.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/26/2017  9:36 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I guess I can only go by what I have seen so far. He appears to be pretty clueless in setting up a roster that compliments each other. He has no regard for continuity although you could argue that you can't have continuity if you bring in the wrong guys in trades and free agency. He has accidentally tanked three times. He gets credit for getting two lottery picks in the draft but his intent was to build a winner all three times. I am pretty comfortable with my conclusion that the team isn't going to win with him running things.

Steve Kerr did a few interviews when he was no longer the GM of the Suns and he was very candid and the interviews are really worth listening to, although they cover a previous CBA era and a different style of league in general at the time and place.

He pointed out that most NBA front offices understand that they are making signings and trades that aren't actually "good moves" but that with a limited talent pool, an actual salary floor and a directive to "do something" that teams have to do the best they can with the given players that would sign with them as free agents.

He also pointed out part of a GMs job is to manage the expectations of your coach and your owner, because your owner might demand you do this and that, and you know it's bad for your team, but you have orders to do it. Also there is a lot of pressure from the coach to get guys who can help right now, while a GM has to think 3-5 years from now as well, a coach is just worried about his job, this year and four years from now, odds are he won't be there.

Kerr said every front office runner or GM understands that they will 99.99999 percent of the time, only be buying time until they are fired. He said there is always inherent danger in trying to keep your job instead of doing your job, and that's not always the same thing. He also covered the struggle to make a "good basketball decision", one for the greater good of winning, and a "good marketing decision" one designed to sell tickets and advertising and keep the money flowing as a business.

Jackson inherited a "clumsy" roster with limited future assets and cap problems based on aging/injured/lazy guys who needed to to be shed off the roster. Not his fault.

He simply did not help himself much. His fault. He has and had limitations, that being said, he came into this job with no front office experience and it shows badly.

Melo doesn't have complete control over the roster and that Jackson got hired, nor does he pick the coach, not his fault

Melo doesn't play team ball, fails to show any kind of leadership and is a selfish player/coach killer. He's not helping himself much. In this regard, this is his own fault.

Both are part of the bigger problem, both could have done more to help themselves, the Knicks would be clearly better off in the future with both gone.

Right now, both sides are using the press to try to get the other one gone from the franchise. It doesn't look like either are going anywhere. Whomever wins, the fans lose.

That's a fair assessment from Kerr. Though he was also the guy who traded for Shaq in 2009 to be on that Amar'e/Nash Spurs team. Kerr was kinda hated by MDA wasn't he? At least in his role as GM.

Kerr, of course, went on to be a fantastic coach. Apparently someone can be a fantastic coach and not understand how to run a front office job.

¿ △ ?
Melo leads the team in deflections and is 9th in NBA in three point shot contests

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy