[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks suspending Joakim Noah 20 games for violation of drug policy?!?!?!?!?
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/25/2017  10:31 AM
I was a huge Noah fan going back to his days at Florida, but this deal had mistake written all over it, even before this fiasco. What a f'ing waste of cap room.

This is why we need a better GM, someone to talk Phil out of making bad deals like this.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  11:14 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:I'm very surprised the NBA caught someone juicing. As much as its probably used in the NBA you rarely hear about it.

I wonder if they're trying to make an example of him? It's not like they'd ever suspend Bron or Kobe when there was pretty suspicious stuff with them going to "sports clinics" in Miami and Germany.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  11:15 AM
I actually liked the Noah signing, but it should've been two years, not four. Maybe a team option for a third year. Oh well.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/25/2017  11:58 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:How does Phil judge talent? Can a pro Phil fan please explain his moves to me, why he should still have his job etc.?

Phil appears to have an OK eye for talent. He got Willy, Kuz, and KP. He just has no idea how much the talent is worth. When it's a rookie contract and it's given that the salary will be low, it works out OK. When he actually has to figure out how much a player is worth in terms of salary in a signing or assets in a trade, he's as bad as it gets.

A bit of an over exaggeration. The deals he gave to Affalo, KOQ, D.Williams, C.Lee, Jennings weren't bad ones at all. . Turner, Bazemore, Deng got 4 years 70 mil. Didn't love the Lopez signing, but apparently was a very movable contract which other teams were interested in. I don't know what he was thinking with the length of the Noah contract though given his injury history(not a talent issue). The deal he worked out with Willie is very very good though. Willie will far exceed his pay while Noah will severely under perform. KOQ exceeds his pay from the center position as well. We have had 20+mil in cap space over the last 2 years and will have 20+mil in cap space going into the 3rd year. The Tyson chandler trade is the only deal I can think of at the moment that I feel he got swindled.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about larger contracts, though KOQ is the only one from that list I consider decent. The contracts on the team have all been debated too much to go into again but I'd rate the 5 largest contracts on our roster (Melo, Lee, Rose, Noah, Thomas) all between a D and an F. Jennings (6th largest) could have been OK but $5 mil for half a season from him is bad.
Bonn1997
USA
3/25/2017  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  12:00 PM
crzymdups wrote:I actually liked the Noah signing, but it should've been two years, not four. Maybe a team option for a third year. Oh well.

So that means you don't like the signing!
There's a lot of bad contracts that would be OK if you cut them in half!

crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  12:04 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I actually liked the Noah signing, but it should've been two years, not four. Maybe a team option for a third year. Oh well.

So that means you didn't like the signing!

Right, I liked the idea to bring him in... but not for the numbers or years. I think I've made my distaste for Phil's work here quite apparent.

Another way to look at it is that over the past two years the cap has jumped from $65M to $108M or so... the Knicks have had around $30M to work with in two straight summers and he hasn't really come away with an above average starter in that time. Courtney Lee is a decent player on a decent deal. That's about it. This will be the third straight summer we have $30M in cap room... it'd be nice if we could sign an above average starter. Not even a star... just an above average starter.

Jrue Holiday may be an option... though you have to wonder if he'd leave New Orleans with Boogie and AD there now.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
3/25/2017  12:14 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

So that means you didn't like the signing!

Right, I liked the idea to bring him in... but not for the numbers or years. I think I've made my distaste for Phil's work here quite apparent.

Another way to look at it is that over the past two years the cap has jumped from $65M to $108M or so... the Knicks have had around $30M to work with in two straight summers and he hasn't really come away with an above average starter in that time. Courtney Lee is a decent player on a decent deal. That's about it. This will be the third straight summer we have $30M in cap room... it'd be nice if we could sign an above average starter. Not even a star... just an above average starter.

Jrue Holiday may be an option... though you have to wonder if he'd leave New Orleans with Boogie and AD there now.

Oh OK. I thought you were more of a Phil supporter. It's hard to keep track of everyone. We're basically on the same page although I think Jrue is going to get badly overpaid. We need to be good enough to attract legit max contract FAs or otherwise keep building gradually toward the point where we are IMO.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/25/2017  12:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:How does Phil judge talent? Can a pro Phil fan please explain his moves to me, why he should still have his job etc.?

Phil appears to have an OK eye for talent. He got Willy, Kuz, and KP. He just has no idea how much the talent is worth. When it's a rookie contract and it's given that the salary will be low, it works out OK. When he actually has to figure out how much a player is worth in terms of salary in a signing or assets in a trade, he's as bad as it gets.

A bit of an over exaggeration. The deals he gave to Affalo, KOQ, D.Williams, C.Lee, Jennings weren't bad ones at all. . Turner, Bazemore, Deng got 4 years 70 mil. Didn't love the Lopez signing, but apparently was a very movable contract which other teams were interested in. I don't know what he was thinking with the length of the Noah contract though given his injury history(not a talent issue). The deal he worked out with Willie is very very good though. Willie will far exceed his pay while Noah will severely under perform. KOQ exceeds his pay from the center position as well. We have had 20+mil in cap space over the last 2 years and will have 20+mil in cap space going into the 3rd year. The Tyson chandler trade is the only deal I can think of at the moment that I feel he got swindled.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about larger contracts, though KOQ is the only one from that list I consider decent. The contracts on the team have all been debated too much to go into again but I'd rate the 5 largest contracts on our roster (Melo, Lee, Rose, Noah, Thomas) all between a D and an F. Jennings (6th largest) could have been OK but $5 mil for half a season from him is bad.

Under the new cap. 5 mil per may equate to like less then 2 mil under the old cap. And for it to be a one year deal. The fact that you would count that as a poor deal in today's market... Same with Lance and his 3 mil per deal. And he acquired Rose with one year remaining on his salary while dumping 30+mil from Lopez and another 7 from Calderon. Granted he ruined that with the Noah signing.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/25/2017  1:01 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:I'm very surprised the NBA caught someone juicing. As much as its probably used in the NBA you rarely hear about it.

Maybe Rite Aid turned him in...Yup.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  1:08 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Under the new cap. 5 mil per may equate to like less then 2 mil under the old cap. And for it to be a one year deal. The fact that you would count that as a poor deal in today's market... Same with Lance and his 3 mil per deal. And he acquired Rose with one year remaining on his salary while dumping 30+mil from Lopez and another 7 from Calderon. Granted he ruined that with the Noah signing.

Lance is making 6 or 7 million per year.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  1:09 PM

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  1:11 PM
Statement from the league - honestly seems like a long suspension if they believed he didn't know what he was taking...

¿ △ ?
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/25/2017  1:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  1:40 PM
nixluva wrote:I can understand the pressure to perform that could make Noah do such a thing. I'm not that upset about it. He's doing it to be able to live up to his contract! He cares about being able to perform and probably had been playing thru pain as well. Just a bad decision but he was trying to get a boost so he could play better. Getting something from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe isn't exactly Horse Steroids.

You are officially the JACKASS of the board!!! Just no sense. Making excuses for a ****ty behavior and a ****ty signing. Same fool that gets on Melo and his 25M for being the best player on the team yet benched cripple on drugs making 19M is "understandable"?? You just lost all credibility. But I think I may be one of few, that did not already know that.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/25/2017  1:47 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:I can understand the pressure to perform that could make Noah do such a thing. I'm not that upset about it. He's doing it to be able to live up to his contract! He cares about being able to perform and probably had been playing thru pain as well. Just a bad decision but he was trying to get a boost so he could play better. Getting something from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe isn't exactly Horse Steroids.

You are officially the JACKASS of the board!!! Just no sense. Making excuses for a ****ty behavior and a ****ty signing. Same fool that gets on Melo and his 25M for being the best player on the team yet benched cripple on drugs making 19M is "understandable"?? You just lost all credibility. But I think I may be one of few, that did not already know that.

Look i dont agree with nix's opinion about noah but there is no need to call him a jackass. Its obvious the noah signing was a bad move and obviously noah made a dumb decision but that doesnt mean nixluva is clueless or has no credibility just because he doesnt want phil fired
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/25/2017  1:51 PM
crzymdups wrote:Statement from the league - honestly seems like a long suspension if they believed he didn't know what he was taking...

And doubley petty when he wouldn't even have been suspended if it had happened next season under the new cba. Should have just compromised and suspended him for the rest of this season but not next season.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/25/2017  1:54 PM
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Statement from the league - honestly seems like a long suspension if they believed he didn't know what he was taking...

And doubley petty when he wouldn't even have been suspended if it had happened next season under the new cba. Should have just compromised and suspended him for the rest of this season but not next season.

I think it is interesting that the players association isn't protesting it. It definitely seems petty.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/25/2017  1:57 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I think it is interesting that the players association isn't protesting it. It definitely seems petty.
yeah it does. Im not defending noah but you are right its seems strange there is no protest as of now
Bonn1997
USA
3/25/2017  2:15 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

No, it wasn't $5 mil for one year. That was the initial signing but not what the deal worked out to be. It was $5 mil for half a year. (It wasn't a buyout. It was a waiver. Phil paid the full $5 mil for half a year.) Jennings is not worth paying a rate of almost $10 mil a season.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/25/2017  4:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  4:05 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Look i dont agree with nix's opinion about noah but there is no need to call him a jackass. Its obvious the noah signing was a bad move and obviously noah made a dumb decision but that doesnt mean nixluva is clueless or has no credibility just because he doesnt want phil fired

A Jackass is someone that makes excuses for anyone who cheats or uses drugs. Specially because it affects his other false position. And that goes for anyone else defending him or that behavior.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/25/2017  4:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  4:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

A Jackass is someone that makes excuses for anyone who cheats or uses drugs. Specially because it affects his other false position. And that goes for anyone else defending him or that behavior.

To be honest, you're the one coming across as a bit of a jackass in this thread

Knicks suspending Joakim Noah 20 games for violation of drug policy?!?!?!?!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy