[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Charley Rosen:'Evaluating the Youngsters in Portland'
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/24/2017  7:51 PM
In truth, the Knicks had no real expectations of beating Portland in their second of back-to-back games on the road. No surprise, then, when New York wound up on the short end of a 110-95 game.

However, there were several redeeming aspects here.

Carmelo Anthony was out with a sore left knee. Derrick Rose was unavailable because of an injured right foot. Accordingly, Jeff Hornacek took advantage of their respective absences — and also of the Knicks’ chances of making the playoffs having been officially quashed — by giving bountiful playing time to the young players.

We already know plenty about Kristaps Porzingis, but guys like Willy Hernangomez, Ron Baker, Chasson Randle, Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Marshall Plumlee, and Justin Holiday got time to determine who might, and who might not, develop into valuable performers as the Knicks’ rebuilding projecting continues.

Here’s what the game at hand revealed about these young’uns.

HERNANGOMEZ — 5-of-10, eight rebounds, two assists, two blocks, and 14 points in 21 minutes.

He showed a soft touch on mid-range jumpers, as well as on flippers in the paint — and he played hard.

However, the rookie rarely boxed his man off the glass, didn’t finish his screens, failed to adequately show in defense of screens, and made just as many good defensive rotations as bad ones.

Hernangomez’s biggest problem was the 7’0”, 280-pound Jusuf Nurkic, who repeatedly bullied him in the low post.

Despite all the talk about Hernangomez being the Knicks’ center of the future, his glaring defensive inadequacies indicate that he’s better suited to being a backup.

KUZMINSKAS — 3-of-8 (including 2-of-5 from downtown), eight rebounds, two assists, one steal, two turnovers, and 14 points in 32 minutes.

He runs, shoots, scraps, is aggressive in attacking the hoop, and has good hands. Kuzminskas definitely has enough game to eventually become a third scoring option on a second unit.

Too bad his defense is atrocious. His rotations were routinely late. He frequently turned his head, and he was confused when confronted with to-switch-or-not-to-switch situations.

And at 27, how quickly can he develop? Or is his future already behind him?

BAKER — 2-of-8 (0-of-2 from distance), four assists, one steal, block, and turnover, for four points in 24 minutes.

This is a hard-nosed kid who is fundamentally sound. He battles around-and-through defensive screens, plays excellent team defense, and generally makes good decisions with the ball.

On the debit side, Baker lacks quickness, and a consistent jumper.

Pencil him in for a fourth guard in a three-guard rotation.

RANDLE — 4-of-7 (2-of-4 on triples), two assists, for 13 points in 19 minutes.

He showed quick hands and feet, excellent athleticism, a good release and good range (especially when he hit a left pull-up trey), and he also plays earnest defense.

Randle’s adhesive defensive pressure deep in the backcourt produced a turnover. Also give him credit for a tip-in among the trees. Plus, he alertly moves without the ball and plays with a quiet fearlessness.

All Randle lacks is experience. As an undrafted rookie, he was routinely dissed by the refs.

How good could he be?

If not a starter at the point, then at least a 20-minute sub.

HOLIDAY — 3-of-8 (0-2 from long range), two assists, seven points in 22 minutes.

He’s already proven to be a quick-release, bull’s-eye 3-point shooter. Moreover, he’s athletic, has good hands, moves well without the ball, and competes.

Consistent defense is his most significant problem — mostly turning his head and finding his man in early-offense situations. Nothing that can’t be remedied and, indeed, his defense has improved.

A valuable scorer off the bench, Holiday is also not afraid to take clutch shots.

But can the Knicks re-sign him? And if they do, will that lure his brother Jrue to New York?

PLUMLEE — 0-of-1, two rebounds, two assists, one steal, zero points in five minutes.

The youngest of the brothers Plumlee, Marshall is a banger. He sets solid screens, offers admirable defensive help in the paint, makes effective shows in defending screens, has good hands, is an alert passer with a high basketball IQ, plays with extraordinary energy, and is strong enough to establish and maintain optimal position in the low post.

But can he score?

Again, unless he can broaden his game, Plumlee’s ceiling is being a stout backup at center.

In sum, except for Porzingis, only Holiday and Randle (and possibly Baker) have the possibilities of evolving into valuable rotation players who can be trusted to play significant minutes in close ball games.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/knicks/rosen-evaluating-knicks-youngsters-portland/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/24/2017  8:02 PM
In other words after 3 years we don't have much
RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
USA
3/24/2017  8:08 PM
BRIGGS wrote:In other words after 3 years we don't have much
This. I think Kuz is gone. There have been two Rosen articles where he received poor reviews and the Knicks were looking to trade him at the deadline. Also, is NDour with Westchester, hurt?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/24/2017  9:40 PM
I did agree about his assessment of Willy in being a career back up. He will get stronger and I think next year will be a better year to judge his long term development.

It's interesting he chose to leave out KP but I guess he didn't want to talk about his bad game.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/24/2017  9:56 PM
Willy is looking more and more like David Lee 2.0. A skilled player on offense who can score with either hand, but defensively challenged.

Hernangomez definitely has value as a player and possible trade chip, but he's going to have to take his D to another level to justify starting next to KP for the next X amount of years.

I believe Kuz would excel off the bench on a team that isnt in flux. The conditions have to be right for him to succeed in this league. Phoenix wanted to draft him, so there might be a market there if he doesnt pan out here.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/24/2017  10:07 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I did agree about his assessment of Willy in being a career back up. He will get stronger and I think next year will be a better year to judge his long term development.

It's interesting he chose to leave out KP but I guess he didn't want to talk about his bad game.

I agree. Willy is a stat stuffing big man who can be the focal point of the offense off the bench. That could change, but it seems like his future right now. He can be an elite bench big man though, and still play starters minutes.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

3/24/2017  10:47 PM
Kuz's defense is horrible. Would be happy if the Suns still want him for a 2nd round pick.
The Future is Bright!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/25/2017  12:05 AM
Knixkik wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I did agree about his assessment of Willy in being a career back up. He will get stronger and I think next year will be a better year to judge his long term development.

I agree. Willy is a stat stuffing big man who can be the focal point of the offense off the bench. That could change, but it seems like his future right now. He can be an elite bench big man though, and still play starters minutes.

I think Willy can get more physical as he matures and loses that "just happy to be here" mentality he's got. Some rookies need to learn to play angry and not let someone punk you. Willy never looks angry or upset by players abusing him. That should change as he matures and is taking things more seriously.

CrushAlot
USA
3/25/2017  12:42 AM
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I think Willy can get more physical as he matures and loses that "just happy to be here" mentality he's got. Some rookies need to learn to play angry and not let someone punk you. Willy never looks angry or upset by players abusing him. That should change as he matures and is taking things more seriously.

I think Willy is a pretty tough guy. I can't remember the exact exchange but he got the best of D12 and minimized the situation later. His defense isn't that great though. KP doesn't rebound well and while he protects the rim he isn't that great of a defender either. I think Willy needs to come off the bench for now until he improves on d.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/25/2017  12:49 AM

I did say we should be gauging trade interest in Willy but if Rosen is Phil mouth piece he certainly isn't doing any favors in terms of trade value.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/25/2017  12:51 AM
I give Kuz another year to see what we have -- he is at least an offensive fit in the triangle and the ENTIRE team sucks defensively.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/25/2017  12:57 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I think Willy is a pretty tough guy. I can't remember the exact exchange but he got the best of D12 and minimized the situation later. His defense isn't that great though. KP doesn't rebound well and while he protects the rim he isn't that great of a defender either. I think Willy needs to come off the bench for now until he improves on d.

Willy can move well enough he just doesn't quite understand what he should be doing at all times. He lacks technique and using leverage etc. there's a lot to being a good defender including being able to read what a team is trying to do.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/25/2017  1:24 AM
These "kids" would be playing a lot better if Melo wasn't in the picture
CrushAlot
USA
3/25/2017  1:29 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:These "kids" would be playing a lot better if Melo wasn't in the picture
He evaluated a game where Melo didn't play.? He is pretty blunt. Is there something you disagree with?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/25/2017  1:44 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Willy can move well enough he just doesn't quite understand what he should be doing at all times. He lacks technique and using leverage etc. there's a lot to being a good defender including being able to read what a team is trying to do.

I agree with this. I think most of his defensive issues will end once he add more strength and continues to understand NBA basketball.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  1:51 AM
HOLIDAY — 3-of-8 (0-2 from long range), two assists, seven points in 22 minutes.

He’s already proven to be a quick-release, bull’s-eye 3-point shooter. Moreover, he’s athletic, has good hands, moves well without the ball, and competes.
Consistent defense is his most significant problem — mostly turning his head and finding his man in early-offense situations. Nothing that can’t be remedied and, indeed, his defense has improved.

A valuable scorer off the bench, Holiday is also not afraid to take clutch shots.

But can the Knicks re-sign him? And if they do, will that lure his brother Jrue to New York?

Most interesting part of that write-up to me. Would love to get Jrue in FA.

Dream life scenario, starting lineup opening night in October:

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Courtney Lee
SF Josh Jackson
PF Melo
C KP

bench - Chasson, Justin, Lance, KOQ, Willy, we'd need someone who could play the 4 and probably another PG

¿ △ ?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/25/2017  1:56 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:These "kids" would be playing a lot better if Melo wasn't in the picture

Classic posting "brilliance". Blame Melo for negative reviews of players' performances in a game Melo doesn't play in.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  2:02 AM
jrodmc wrote:

Classic posting "brilliance". Blame Melo for negative reviews of players' performances in a game Melo doesn't play in.

Look, if Melo would just move the ball in games he's not playing, maybe we'd be able to forgive him.

Also, thanks to Melo and Rose not playing, the Knicks were able to play lockdown, junkyard dog defense.

¿ △ ?
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/25/2017  4:24 AM

That's what happens if you only have your own draft pick one of those three years- you can't conjure top tier talent out of thin air.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/25/2017  5:13 AM
smackeddog wrote:

That's what happens if you only have your own draft pick one of those three years- you can't conjure top tier talent out of thin air.

Ah the great Clarence Gains has had many chances in the 2 nd rd and undrafted. He saw more in willy G than nokola jokic among some other whiffs. It's easier to not **** up the 4 th pick but you should earn your money After pick 20. I'm still a willy fan he will be an excellent third big who can start given who is at Pf. I just don't like the starting combo of willy and kp. We have another 2-3 picks after our lottery pick-- I would say Mr Gaines job has to be on the line this year

RIP Crushalot😞
Charley Rosen:'Evaluating the Youngsters in Portland'

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy