[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

SBNation, Should the Knicks fire Phil Jackson?
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
3/27/2017  1:18 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:We all want the next Theo Epstein or young Cashman. Geeky brainiacs with secret black box metrics who has not track record to sour any discussion.
"Repeal and Replace".........But with no real tangable idea. Do you know who the GM is? Mills, who has been to games and kentucky practice's. LIke other GM's.
If IM president I gather all my scouting reports, look at all the tape that my guys have combed over and let them sell me on who is best and why. Thats what decision makers do.
Mills can't scout eveyone.
Magic gets on TV cuz he is magic.

Phil leaves the team is in Mill's hands, and it will be OK. Mills is a very intelligent man who will likely continue the triangle. How do I know? Cuz Phil is not leaving until its installed and I for one am rooting for its success.
If its not, then cross that bridge when we get to it.
Until then, I have to say I like the decisions PHil has made, but im disappointed in the outcomes.
Blame for some of you is how you deal with disappointment.

Keep wishing for a Phil replacement that has no track record of their own.

Who’s to say that Phil replacement wouldn’t have a track record? Some assistant General Managers play big roles with their franchises, the most important factor is for them to come from a winning franchise. And even if they have little track record, that's better than having Phil’s loosing track record.

I like what the Nets did. They realized the error of their ways, then tapped someone from the best organization in the NBA. And then said run it without interference and for the long haul.

I might take a wager that the nets will get back to the play offs before us, and I probably would bet that they will get to the finals before us!

I totally agree with you, while the Nets are losing a lot of games, Sean Marks in a year has already established a system, a direction for this past poorly managed franchise. Unlike the Knicks, Brooklyn is trying to spend their money on still young developing players that fit their system, not on Broken / past their prime veterans.

Knicks are on the right track with all their picks and promising young talent in place. The Nets don't have the same situation even with better management they will be limited in what they can do.

The Knicks are developing players with more upside and a chance to add even more Frontline talent this summer. Despite all the Phil bashing he's in a good spot.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2017  1:42 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:We all want the next Theo Epstein or young Cashman. Geeky brainiacs with secret black box metrics who has not track record to sour any discussion.
"Repeal and Replace".........But with no real tangable idea. Do you know who the GM is? Mills, who has been to games and kentucky practice's. LIke other GM's.
If IM president I gather all my scouting reports, look at all the tape that my guys have combed over and let them sell me on who is best and why. Thats what decision makers do.

Phil leaves the team is in Mill's hands, and it will be OK. Mills is a very intelligent man who will likely continue the triangle. How do I know? Cuz Phil is not leaving until its installed and I for one am rooting for its success.
Until then, I have to say I like the decisions PHil has made, but im disappointed in the outcomes.

Who’s to say that Phil replacement wouldn’t have a track record? Some assistant General Managers play big roles with their franchises, the most important factor is for them to come from a winning franchise. And even if they have little track record, that's better than having Phil’s loosing track record.

I like what the Nets did. They realized the error of their ways, then tapped someone from the best organization in the NBA. And then said run it without interference and for the long haul.

I might take a wager that the nets will get back to the play offs before us, and I probably would bet that they will get to the finals before us!

I totally agree with you, while the Nets are losing a lot of games, Sean Marks in a year has already established a system, a direction for this past poorly managed franchise. Unlike the Knicks, Brooklyn is trying to spend their money on still young developing players that fit their system, not on Broken / past their prime veterans.

What choice do they have? They have Bropez whom they need to trade. They have no pick this year and swap with Celts next. You think if knicks won just 17 games and two years later were not in playoffs people despite only have one pick in three years, people won't be calling for the mans head. Oh wait, they are!!!

Knicks are not committed to youth? Really?

KnicksFE
Member: #3561

3/27/2017  2:10 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

What choice do they have? They have Bropez whom they need to trade. They have no pick this year and swap with Celts next. You think if knicks won just 17 games and two years later were not in playoffs people despite only have one pick in three years, people won't be calling for the mans head. Oh wait, they are!!!

I think you need to stop watching the Knicks only and watch more NBA in general, this way you wouldn’t make comments like the one above without proper information. While Brooklyn is not there yet, they are on their way to respectability in the next couple of years.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/27/2017  4:00 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

I think you need to stop watching the Knicks only and watch more NBA in general, this way you wouldn’t make comments like the one above without proper information. While Brooklyn is not there yet, they are on their way to respectability in the next couple of years.

you have to give it to Prokhorov - he exceeded Dolan's mismanagement and dug a deep hole that is going to take a long time to dig our of.

Right now, the only reason I give the Knicks the edge for being the first to make the play offs is they have their picks for the present and foreseeable future.

We could dig this thread up in several years time, and see which franchise is first to the 2nd round or further in the play offs, Knicks or Nets.

KnicksFE

3/27/2017  4:27 PM
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

you have to give it to Prokhorov - he exceeded Dolan's mismanagement and dug a deep hole that is going to take a long time to dig our of.

Right now, the only reason I give the Knicks the edge for being the first to make the play offs is they have their picks for the present and foreseeable future.

We could dig this thread up in several years time, and see which franchise is first to the 2nd round or further in the play offs, Knicks or Nets.

My point is not really to argue about which team Knicks or Nets make the playoff first, my point is more about what I see from those two teams today. With the Knicks I see two very talented young players (KP and Hernangomez) with a lot of confusion and negativity surrounding them from teammates to top management, not a healthy environment conducive to development. In Brooklyn I see some hungry young players (not as talented as KP and Hernangomez) developing and learning a basketball system that is already established by the coach, those young guys look hungry. If there is a lesson to learn from Melo, Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousin is that sometimes having the most talented player doesn’t guarantee wins. To build a good team you need good management.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/27/2017  4:39 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

My point is not really to argue about which team Knicks or Nets make the playoff first, my point is more about what I see from those two teams today. With the Knicks I see two very talented young players (KP and Hernangomez) with a lot of confusion and negativity surrounding them from teammates to top management, not a healthy environment conducive to development. In Brooklyn I see some hungry young players (not as talented as KP and Hernangomez) developing and learning a basketball system that is already established by the coach, those young guys look hungry. If there is a lesson to learn from Melo, Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousin is that sometimes having the most talented player doesn’t guarantee wins. To build a good team you need good management.

exactly,

Having draft picks every year like the lakers, phili, minny, pelicans, sac, doesn't mean jack either.

ES
Nalod
USA
3/27/2017  4:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  4:45 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

Nets are the beacon of light? I do appreciate their new path and of course its all a nice theory. They won't even get to make lottery pick in for the next two years. Not Marks "fault" so we can't blame him.
I wish them all the best. Prokorhov did the only reasonable thing which was to rebuild long term. I think he might have actually out starphuched Dolan the last few years!!!

So basically you are basing your opinion that because they hired Sean Marks with now one season under his belt, they will succeed because they have yet to make any mistkes under him, while Phil has now three years, has made many decisions, some good, some not.
Thus you deduct that Sean Marks is better then Phil. Nets did offer sheets to Allan Crabbe and Tyler Johnson for BIG MONEY!!! Got bailed. Signed Donatas Monienunas, but he went elsewhere. I like the moves, just not the results. Lin got signed, but he is Lin. So what has Sean Marks done to gain praise? He is rebuilding but thats because he could not sign anyone to help Lopez.
I like the Kenny Atkinson hiring. Nice young fresh name with no baggage and likely will leave him be for a few years.

Confusion? Negative environment? Two different things. I don't see anything major toxic on Knicks. Much will be addressed this off season. Fire Phil or not, it gets addressed.

I'll say it again, Phil made some good decisions but they did not work. ONly thing I slam him on is Noah signing which is not a fireable offense.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/27/2017  4:47 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

They went all in on the rebuild with a bright basketball mind that worked in the most successful front office in the league. They brought in a coach that is well liked by the players and known to be an extremely hard worker. They are allowing him to run his system. They have traded vets for picks and tried to fill out their roster with young players. It is a process. They had to do something but it appears they chose an intelligent approach that should lead to long term success and stability in this cba.
There are a lot of guys working in front offices that know the ins and outs of the cba, scout, communicate with their peers, use analytics as part of their evaluation process etc. There are two guys known for not knowing most of this stuff. One guy is Phil and the other is Vlade. If your concern is that Dolan is a wild card and could choose someone worse I get that a little. But I think you have to hope that like Prokerhov he has seen that things aren't working. Phil doesn't have a flavor of the month approach like Billy King but he has managed to meddle and create a dysfunctional situation from top to bottom.

I had a chance to watch Phil's speech at the Shaq statue dedication. He seemed genuinely happy. I think Phil either wants a position with LA or just wants to be treated as nba royalty without doing much anymore. He earned that as a coach. He hasn't as the pres/gm of the Knicks. I think the reports that he didn't want the position but Dolan just kept throwing more money at him are accurate. In my opinion his approach to his job and his performance indicate that he isn't that invested.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
3/27/2017  5:00 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

They went all in on the rebuild with a bright basketball mind that worked in the most successful front office in the league. They brought in a coach that is well liked by the players and known to be an extremely hard worker. They are allowing him to run his system. They have traded vets for picks and tried to fill out their roster with young players. It is a process. They had to do something but it appears they chose an intelligent approach that should lead to long term success and stability in this cba.
There are a lot of guys working in front offices that know the ins and outs of the cba, scout, communicate with their peers, use analytics as part of their evaluation process etc. There are two guys known for not knowing most of this stuff. One guy is Phil and the other is Vlade. If your concern is that Dolan is a wild card and could choose someone worse I get that a little. But I think you have to hope that like Prokerhov he has seen that things aren't working. Phil doesn't have a flavor of the month approach like Billy King but he has managed to meddle and create a dysfunctional situation from top to bottom.

I had a chance to watch Phil's speech at the Shaq statue dedication. He seemed genuinely happy. I think Phil either wants a position with LA or just wants to be treated as nba royalty without doing much anymore. He earned that as a coach. He hasn't as the pres/gm of the Knicks. I think the reports that he didn't want the position but Dolan just kept throwing more money at him are accurate. In my opinion his approach to his job and his performance indicate that he isn't that invested.

Then its mills that the defacto GM with the title who is to execute the details.
Today it was reported Phil never reached out to Pau as he was enamored with Noah. Seems like the case. Seems Pau was enamored with Spurs but "Could have called" what ever, Pau wanted to win, not coach KP? Noah was the right guy but if his body is shot, bad result.

I suppose I should heed my words that I was done being a surrogate to defend phil. Im not really, Im just saying that we can't undo the past nor hire someone thinking the result will be so much better. We just don't know. I get many are frustrated.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/27/2017  7:30 PM
The biggest problem phil had was no draft picks. I think that forced his hand into building with vets. What if he had his 2014 pick and drafted Hood, and his 2016 pick and drafted Sabonis. Along with KP and Willy. He would be judged completely different.
KnicksFE

3/27/2017  8:53 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

Nets are the beacon of light? I do appreciate their new path and of course its all a nice theory. They won't even get to make lottery pick in for the next two years. Not Marks "fault" so we can't blame him.
I wish them all the best. Prokorhov did the only reasonable thing which was to rebuild long term. I think he might have actually out starphuched Dolan the last few years!!!

So basically you are basing your opinion that because they hired Sean Marks with now one season under his belt, they will succeed because they have yet to make any mistkes under him, while Phil has now three years, has made many decisions, some good, some not.
Thus you deduct that Sean Marks is better then Phil. Nets did offer sheets to Allan Crabbe and Tyler Johnson for BIG MONEY!!! Got bailed. Signed Donatas Monienunas, but he went elsewhere. I like the moves, just not the results. Lin got signed, but he is Lin. So what has Sean Marks done to gain praise? He is rebuilding but thats because he could not sign anyone to help Lopez.
I like the Kenny Atkinson hiring. Nice young fresh name with no baggage and likely will leave him be for a few years.

Confusion? Negative environment? Two different things. I don't see anything major toxic on Knicks. Much will be addressed this off season. Fire Phil or not, it gets addressed.

I'll say it again, Phil made some good decisions but they did not work. ONly thing I slam him on is Noah signing which is not a fireable offense.

They got bailed by whom? We will never know how Crabbe, Johnson and Donatas would have performed in Atkinson’ system, you do know that fit is everything in the NBA, right? Just ask Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson.

If you don’t see the toxic environment in the Knicks organization then there is nothing I can do. But let me just remind you that the Knicks started the season with Rose’s rape trial, continued with Phil Jackson taking shots at Carmelo and are finishing with Noah being suspended for 20 games. If you don’t see the toxic in these there is nothing I can do about it. But I do know that it is not a healthy environment for young players development.

Nalod
USA
3/28/2017  11:58 AM
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

They got bailed by whom? We will never know how Crabbe, Johnson and Donatas would have performed in Atkinson’ system, you do know that fit is everything in the NBA, right? Just ask Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson.

If you don’t see the toxic environment in the Knicks organization then there is nothing I can do. But let me just remind you that the Knicks started the season with Rose’s rape trial, continued with Phil Jackson taking shots at Carmelo and are finishing with Noah being suspended for 20 games. If you don’t see the toxic in these there is nothing I can do about it. But I do know that it is not a healthy environment for young players development.

You make a good point about Nets and those guys in Atkinsons system. They are young talent and paid for their potential.
Regarding toxicity, I think the examples dont quite fit the level of dysfunction from it. PHil's comments were not god awful and they are truthful. If you hate phil, its good agenda fodder. I do think Roses trial took his head out of the Triangle and left him mentally unprepared to deal with it and the pressure to perform and get a contract. Noah's drug test of an over counter drug is not exactly the kind of thing that send shock waives thru the franchise. He was not playing. He will be activated soon and I imagine the suspension gets reduced by next season. The confusion of players to me is born in part form the players not executing and team making changes to simplify things on the fly. I guess in hindsight mistakes have been made. How do I know? Their record!!! speaks louder than either you or I and our theories!

I am open to the idea of trading Melo for what ever, but maybe keeping Rose on a "Fair" deal. Not sure what numerical figure makes it fair or if we can get a team option and some control over the deal. For that matter I'd give him a opt out after two years or he gives us a team option. I might be delusional but Im thinking some of the chemistry is between Melo and rose. One has to go. Im ok with letting them both walk as well.

As for the nets, I long for a strong rivalry with two good teams in NYC!!!

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/28/2017  12:46 PM
Here's how I see Phil Jackson

Good:
Drafted KP
Drafted Willy
Kept all draft picks 2017 onward which means we get to finally add another lottery pick this summer
Kept capspace each offseason after his first year (2015, 2016 and 2017 same) in case a max free agent like Durant, Paul, DeRozan if any of them were interested in coming. Even this summer we can make a play for CP3, even though it won't happen, but we can make a move to offer him up to $30M in his first year and come play with Melo, KP, Willy and a 2017 lottery pick. Could also go after Gordan Hayward. Again won't happen, but to be in position each summer is important incase when the cards are finally lined up, you can go for the win.

Bad:
Gave Melo a NTC.
Traded for Rose.
Signed Noah.
Fisher didn't work out.
Didn't get enough for Chandler, Shump, JR.

Overall I'd say he has done an ok job. Not good. Not bad. There are 10 teams atleast with worst situations than ours. Look at the Nets or Orlando for example. But he didn't do a good job either. He has had 3 full years and the main positives he has so far are KP/Willy. Which is a really good duo, but you offset those positive moves by giving Noah the money he did, Melo a NTC and still not having a PG in place that fits 3 years into your tenure.

Phil can recover if he gets a PG that fits Willy/KP and can be with the Knicks the next 8, 10 years. If he achieves this, all is forgiven in my book because he set the team up for the next decade with Willy/KP/and that PG. However if he drafts another wing, or keeps playing musical chairs with the lead guard position, we're going to be stuck. This team, KP/Willy, need a PG, bad. Someone that can be that franchise lead guard for the next decade. Doesn't have to be a superstar like Harden or Westbrook. It can be someone as good as Kemba Walker or a young George Hill. But we need that player, bad. This draft is the most critical time for Phil. We will be top 6-7. Somewhere between 4-7. We could have a shot at Fox, Ntilikina, Smith or Monk. One of those guys Phil needs to get in my opinion, and it needs to be the right guy, the guy that makes us have a really good young core trio with Willy/KP and that guard.

Nalod
USA
3/28/2017  12:51 PM
I long believe NTC for melo was pre determined with Dolan before Phil can to run the knicks..
Reminds me of H20's deal years ago. Dolan keeps to his word. Not always whats best for team but at least he honors a deal.
KnicksFE

3/28/2017  12:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/28/2017  1:00 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

You make a good point about Nets and those guys in Atkinsons system. They are young talent and paid for their potential.
Regarding toxicity, I think the examples dont quite fit the level of dysfunction from it. PHil's comments were not god awful and they are truthful. If you hate phil, its good agenda fodder. I do think Roses trial took his head out of the Triangle and left him mentally unprepared to deal with it and the pressure to perform and get a contract. Noah's drug test of an over counter drug is not exactly the kind of thing that send shock waives thru the franchise. He was not playing. He will be activated soon and I imagine the suspension gets reduced by next season. The confusion of players to me is born in part form the players not executing and team making changes to simplify things on the fly. I guess in hindsight mistakes have been made. How do I know? Their record!!! speaks louder than either you or I and our theories!

I am open to the idea of trading Melo for what ever, but maybe keeping Rose on a "Fair" deal. Not sure what numerical figure makes it fair or if we can get a team option and some control over the deal. For that matter I'd give him a opt out after two years or he gives us a team option. I might be delusional but Im thinking some of the chemistry is between Melo and rose. One has to go. Im ok with letting them both walk as well.

Honestly I’m not sure what to do with Rose, I believe the Knicks needed to trade him for asset at the trading dateline, but they didn’t. Now if we let him go we lose in a sense that we traded a decent center and our first rounder for him. If we keep Rose I’m not sure he can take all the loosing that may be coming our way. Since the Knicks are far from ready. So a year from now we may end up with a disgruntled player taking a decent part of our salary cap.

As far as Melo, the Knicks should hold onto him as much as possible until one of the teams that Melo would like to play for give us their best offer, we should not give in just because Melo want them and they want Melo. Even if it take us into training camp so be it.

Nalod
USA
3/28/2017  1:45 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

Honestly I’m not sure what to do with Rose, I believe the Knicks needed to trade him for asset at the trading dateline, but they didn’t. Now if we let him go we lose in a sense that we traded a decent center and our first rounder for him. If we keep Rose I’m not sure he can take all the loosing that may be coming our way. Since the Knicks are far from ready. So a year from now we may end up with a disgruntled player taking a decent part of our salary cap.

As far as Melo, the Knicks should hold onto him as much as possible until one of the teams that Melo would like to play for give us their best offer, we should not give in just because Melo want them and they want Melo. Even if it take us into training camp so be it.

As you very well have read Melo controls the strings and wants to stay. If we are "moving on" and his minutes are reduced then he can make a request. His value to us at that point is not high, or via trade either. You don't hold a player because his trade value is low, you either play him cuz you think he can contribute and fit into the plan, or sit him. At his price, sitting him does nothing for the knicks.
Waiting for him to not renew his player option does nothing for us either. So you trade him for what makes sense.

KnicksFE

3/28/2017  2:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/28/2017  2:04 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

As you very well have read Melo controls the strings and wants to stay. If we are "moving on" and his minutes are reduced then he can make a request. His value to us at that point is not high, or via trade either. You don't hold a player because his trade value is low, you either play him cuz you think he can contribute and fit into the plan, or sit him. At his price, sitting him does nothing for the knicks.
Waiting for him to not renew his player option does nothing for us either. So you trade him for what makes sense.

And what make sense is for the Knicks to be patience and get the best possible offer for Melo, I’m sorry but the Austin Rivers is not enough in my opinion. We need to talk to teams like the Celtics that have a surplus of assets, we need more than just a couple of mediocre players.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/28/2017  5:26 PM
Nalod wrote:I long believe NTC for melo was pre determined with Dolan before Phil can to run the knicks..
Reminds me of H20's deal years ago. Dolan keeps to his word. Not always whats best for team but at least he honors a deal.
All reports were that Phil had autonomy and didn't want the job but Dolan kept throwing more money at him. The ntc was negotiated by Phil. He wanted Melo to take less so that he would have more money to sign guys in the summer of 2015. He gave him the ntc.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/28/2017  5:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

He doesn't reach out to GMs/pres, he didn't attend one single NCAA game, he certainly didn't go overseas, ridicules is own players he signed, trades or waives his own picks, and completely shuts down the media and leave the fans to speculate..

But will murder any player or coach why defers from the triangle, that's his main and only focus

ES
KnicksFE

4/4/2017  3:10 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
franco12 wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:

He doesn't reach out to GMs/pres, he didn't attend one single NCAA game, he certainly didn't go overseas, ridicules is own players he signed, trades or waives his own picks, and completely shuts down the media and leave the fans to speculate..

But will murder any player or coach why defers from the triangle, that's his main and only focus

+100000000000000
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245495/2017-NBA-Offseason-Preview-Brooklyn-Nets

2017 NBA Offseason Preview: Brooklyn Nets

by Keith P Smith

Apr 3, 2017 11:57 AM

Despite it seeming like an interminable rebuild, the Brooklyn Nets are actually just completing year two of being out of the playoffs. Brooklyn is a near lock to finish at the bottom of the NBA standings and head into the lottery with the best odds at the first overall pick. Unfortunately, whatever pick Brooklyn lands will be swapped with the Celtics' pick, as the Nets fulfill their next to last obligation from the 2013 trade that delivered Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry to Brooklyn for three first round picks and a swap rights in 2017.

As bleak as that might seem for Brooklyn, to finish as the worst team in the NBA and not even have a pick to show for it, things aren’t quite that bad. The Nets have several things going for them that makes their situation brighter than one might expect.

First up is the leadership at the top of the franchise. The front office, led by General Manager Sean Marks and Assistant General Manager Trajan Langdon, has been given the leeway to proceed with a proper rebuild. Despite owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s initial bluster when he entered NBA team ownership, he’s been largely hands off in recent years. Prokhorov is letting Marks and Langdon direct the rebuild in the way they best see fit, as opposed to ordering high priced signings of questionable talent that would win more games short term, while hampering things further down the road.

One of Marks’ early moves was to hire Kenny Atkinson as his head coach. Atkinson, despite never being a head coach before, has done a credible job under tough circumstances. He has the Nets playing hard night in and night out and has implemented a modern system. The Nets play at a fast pace, launch a lot of three-pointers (fourth most in the NBA as of this writing) and get to the free throw line around league average. As the talent level of the team improves, the Nets style may prove to be a winning one, not unlike the current strategy employed by the Houston Rockets.

As for that talent level, it isn’t quite as deficient as some would have you believe. The Nets were aggressive in the offseason and continued that aggression in season, as they rebuild. Over the summer, Marks’ big move was to trade Thaddeus Young to the Indiana Pacers for a first round pick. With that pick, the Nets drafted Caris LeVert, who was coming off a broken foot and hadn’t played since the middle of his senior year at the University of Michigan. It took LeVert nearly a quarter of the season before he was ready to play, but the pick looks like a good one. He’s averaging 7.7 PPG on 45% shooting and has shown a decent three-point shot at nearly 32%. He also boasts a 13.9% assist rate, which isn’t bad for a young wing. Most importantly, LeVert has been starting for most of the last month and hasn’t looked overwhelmed. The Nets have a keeper in him.

Brooklyn used their second round pick on combo guard Isaiah Whitehead and he’s proven well worth it. While his shot still needs work, Whitehead has shown enough ability that he should be a third or fourth guard as the Nets compile better talent across the roster. Not bad for a guy drafted in the middle of the second round.

Following the draft, the Nets played it safe in free agency. They signed Jeremy Lin, Trevor Booker, Randy Foye, Justin Hamilton, Joe Harris, Greivis Vasquez and Luis Scola to short term deals for relatively little money after their initial more aggressive offers for restricted free agents were matched. Every move they made was a reasonable flyer on a good, not great player. Vasquez was injured and waived fairly early on and Scola after the Trade Deadline, but the rest remain. All are signed for sensible money next year, minus Foye, who is a free agent.

These players being signed for next season is arguably just as important off the court as it is on the floor. All could be trade pieces, due in equal parts to their ability to play and being signed to sound contracts. Players like Lin or Booker could easily return good value for the Nets, either over the summer or in season. Marks traded Bojan Bogdanovic to Washington for a first round pick at this year’s deadline and could do the same with Lin or Booker. If they were on a questionable contract, the opportunity to get value in a trade would be far lesser.

The Nets' other moves were made to try and catch lightning in a bottle. They signed Spencer Dinwiddie and Quincy Acy in season to deals that are non-guaranteed for 17-18. Both have played relatively well and give Brooklyn low cost fillers at the back end of the roster.

Bringing it forward to this summer, Brooklyn will have two first round draft picks. Both are expected to be in the mid to late 20s, pending where Washington (which they got from the Bogdanovic trade) and Boston (from the swap) land. In a deep draft, Brooklyn should be able to land a player like LeVert that can help, but maybe not be a star, immediately.

Following the draft, the Nets will have among the most cap space in the NBA. They are one of only two teams, along with Philadelphia, assured of having cap space this summer. Most projections have the Nets setting somewhere between $24 and $30 million in space. More than enough to pursue a max offer with a free agent. Last summer the Nets chased restricted free agents Tyler Johnson and Allen Crabbe and are known to be fond of Detroit Pistons guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who is a restricted free agent this summer. A player like Tim Hardaway Jr., who is considered a slightly lesser version of Caldwell-Pope, could be another restricted free agent target. If Brooklyn wants to go a little bigger, they could consider Otto Porter or Kelly Olynyk on the restricted market. Even if the Nets miss out like they did with Johnson and Crabbe, they will put other teams in a tough decision on deciding to match or not. And, in the case of Boston especially, it could remove some cap space from the market.

Beyond restricted free agents, the Nets will probably target other under-market veterans on reasonable contracts for one to two years. Players like Jodie Meeks, Ersan Ilyasova, Omri Casspi, and Tyrke Evans fit the mold here. It isn’t reasonable to expect Brooklyn to be in the mix for star free agents like Gordon Hayward, Blake Griffin or Kyle Lowry. They simply aren’t there on the rebuild arc yet and those players are going to want to be in “win now” situations.

The Net biggest need this summer is probably to find a modern power forward. Booker started for a large chunk of the season and is a nice energy player, but he’s best fit in a bench role. Brooklyn moved on to starting Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, but he’s not really a power forward and can’t really stretch floor reliably. Finding a power forward who is either a supreme athlete, good shooter, or ideally both, is paramount.

The second biggest need, or decision if you will, is whether or not they hang on to Brook Lopez. Lopez is entering the final year of his contract and completely re-made his game under Atkinson. Entering 2016-17, Lopez had attempted 31 total three-pointers. This season he’s made 118 of them. And he’s shooting at a 35% clip from behind the arc. While his overall field goal percentage is down, Lopez has a career-best 58% true shooting percentage in seasons where he’s played the whole year. Adding the long ball to his repertoire has made Lopez a better fit for the modern NBA. He can still get inside and score as well, as he’s shooting 67% at the rim.

The question is do the Nets need him? It is expected they’ll listen to trade offers for the big man, but they won’t give him away by any means. Last season the demands were reported to be two first round picks and by the deadline they had lessened to a first and a second. If a team finds themselves in need of a true center, Brooklyn will have a chance to move on from their franchise big man of nearly a decade. No matter what, barring a miraculous turnaround that has them in playoff contention come the Trade Deadline, the Nets will probably take what they can get, similar to Bogdanovic, versus risking losing Lopez for nothing.

Overall, it might not be the most exciting offseason for Brooklyn, but that is okay. Excitement only lasts a short time and often turns into something else entirely, as the Nets are all too familiar with. By staying the course and taking shots at restricted free agents, low-risk signings of unrestricted free agents and building through the draft, the Nets will get back to being a playoff team. While it isn’t quite no sleep till Brooklyn just yet, those days might not be too far off.

Offseason Details

Guaranteed Contracts (8): Trevor Booker, Justin Hamiton, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Caris LeVert, Jeremy Lin, Brook Lopez, Andrew Nicholson, Isaiah Whitehead

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts (4): Quincy Acy, Spender Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Sean Kilpatrick

Potential Free Agents (2): Randy Foye (UFA), K.J. McDaniels (RFA – Team Option)

“Dead” Money on Cap (1): $5,474,787 (Deron Williams)

First Round Draft Pick(s) (as of 3/24/17): Pick #24, Pick #26

Maximum Cap Space: $35,603,909

Projected Cap Space: $26,071,683

SBNation, Should the Knicks fire Phil Jackson?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy