[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Willy an KP "worth building around"
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/26/2017  3:58 PM
Willy might be worth a nice return in a trade. If the roster is crowded at one position, we can perhaps trade for what we lack.
What do starting centers, 22 years old fetch these days with upside?
AUTOADVERT
stanleybostitch
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1071

3/26/2017  4:11 PM
Nalod wrote:Willy might be worth a nice return in a trade. If the roster is crowded at one position, we can perhaps trade for what we lack.

Trade? Willy is a building block. The kid has amazing skills, soft touch, great footwork...he's the full package and only going to get better with experience, reps, and a stud wing or PG who knows how to play in a team concept. Cannot wait for the draft and next year.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/26/2017  4:51 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
Nalod wrote:Willy might be worth a nice return in a trade. If the roster is crowded at one position, we can perhaps trade for what we lack.

Trade? Willy is a building block. The kid has amazing skills, soft touch, great footwork...he's the full package and only going to get better with experience, reps, and a stud wing or PG who knows how to play in a team concept. Cannot wait for the draft and next year.

Willy shouldn't be traded, if not for his ability, because he and KP are really close and we need to start building chemistry with our young players. Having players who are close friends is important for building a cohesive group.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/26/2017  5:24 PM
Knixkik wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

Willy shouldn't be traded, if not for his ability, because he and KP are really close and we need to start building chemistry with our young players. Having players who are close friends is important for building a cohesive group.

We don't have to trade young talent to improve the roster. We have 3 picks and some cap space so there's no need to trade youth. Now VETS that's a different story.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

3/26/2017  6:18 PM
No way you trade Willy. Has chemistry with KP and plays the 5 fundamentally better than anyone else on the team. Problem will be what to do with the 19M starter and KP at 4. If anything, time to trade KO for a a draft pick or estabilised player to fill voids at 1 and 2.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nixluva
USA
3/26/2017  6:25 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:That's his opinion but right now my answer would be no. However, I think you build with them but I am not sold on them being the focal point of a team. You can't run an offense through them and neither one can stabilise a defense so how can you build around them?

All of your comments seem premature! You are talking about two very young bigs. One of which is a rookie. So while they may not yet have the ability to anchor a winning team they have shown flashes of the talent needed to develop into legit starters for this team.

Also will help to upgrade the defensive talent around them. This is a process that needs time. Also this doesn't preclude the Knicks from looking to upgrade at PF/C if there is a better young player available. I think you never stop looking to upgrade your team.

So It's premature to not be sure but it's not premature to already be certain of two players who have not done the things people think they can do?

That doesn't make any sense.

What I'm trying to say is that there's going to be natural development and growth from these kids. They've shown enough flashes to have faith they can develop some consistent play as bigs for this team. It's not like they never look good. They just have mental lapses and need to get stronger.
Those are things that should be fixable.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/26/2017  6:50 PM
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:That's his opinion but right now my answer would be no. However, I think you build with them but I am not sold on them being the focal point of a team. You can't run an offense through them and neither one can stabilise a defense so how can you build around them?

All of your comments seem premature! You are talking about two very young bigs. One of which is a rookie. So while they may not yet have the ability to anchor a winning team they have shown flashes of the talent needed to develop into legit starters for this team.

Also will help to upgrade the defensive talent around them. This is a process that needs time. Also this doesn't preclude the Knicks from looking to upgrade at PF/C if there is a better young player available. I think you never stop looking to upgrade your team.

So It's premature to not be sure but it's not premature to already be certain of two players who have not done the things people think they can do?

What I'm trying to say is that there's going to be natural development and growth from these kids. They've shown enough flashes to have faith they can develop some consistent play as bigs for this team. It's not like they never look good. They just have mental lapses and need to get stronger.

Of course they have shown flashes of being quality starters but they have not proven or shown much more than that. No one said they should be traded or will not get better but I would not look to build my team as if I had someone who can carry my team so all I need is secondary pieces. The Knicks need to look for an efficient high usage players who shares the bball.

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/26/2017  7:07 PM
These 2 guys do not have them mental make up to be the heart and soul of a team, there just solid pieces to a deep team.
ES
nixluva
USA
3/26/2017  8:27 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Of course they have shown flashes of being quality starters but they have not proven or shown much more than that. No one said they should be traded or will not get better but I would not look to build my team as if I had someone who can carry my team so all I need is secondary pieces. The Knicks need to look for an efficient high usage players who shares the bball.

It's kind of hard to really show much when Willy just got here and has just 13 starts in his career! Of course Bigs ALWAYS need a PG or some kind of Playmaker/Distributor in order to be at their best. What I do believe is that before long BOTH KP and Willy will be able to take just about anyone in a One on One situation and as soon as they get the hang of NBA defense and get a bit stronger they will be LOCKS to man the inside for this team.

How much more growth they need and how soon that will come is hard to tell but I can see already that they have enough actual talent to get there. It's only a matter of time and work before they are good enough to lock that down. Much of the problem isn't a lack of talent but simply Mental Mistakes and just maturing and getting stronger. Those aren't things you can't address.

The good thing about this draft is that there are so many Guards and Wings that we can add who can be significant upgrades to the roster.

nixluva
USA
3/26/2017  8:30 PM
knicks1248 wrote:These 2 guys do not have them mental make up to be the heart and soul of a team, there just solid pieces to a deep team.

I TOTALLY disagree. I see two kids that want to get better and that have no real limitations to getting better. They have the talent and desire to be very good players. They want it!!! Now knowing how to actually get there is the key. They both are studious and open to being coached and tutored. You can bet they'll work hard this summer and come back even better.
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

3/26/2017  10:08 PM
knicks1248 wrote:These 2 guys do not have them mental make up to be the heart and soul of a team, there just solid pieces to a deep team.

Crazy. And who has this magical mental makeup? Melo? C'mon 1248, let's hear some Melo apologetics...

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/27/2017  10:24 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:

Crazy. And who has this magical mental makeup? Melo? C'mon 1248, let's hear some Melo apologetics...

When i talk mental make up, it has nothing to do with talent. Just like melo and rose, these dudes are not leaders, they dont have that KG, Alonzo, LJ, Ewing, leadership attributes. The worst part about it all, they are being develop in a toxic, losing environment, so they are developing losing habits. You can see how they continue to make the same mistakes almost every other possession, let alone game.

We still have to find that leader, that guy who's going to come in an not except losing, that guy who is going to be vocal and push, and get on you when you fail an assignment, be a on court coach. That guy doesn't even have to be the most talent player, he just needs to have that fire. Your going to still need your kp, your aldridge, your Love, melo, and rose. you just can't ask those players to be leaders, because thats not their mental make up, you need other players in that role

ES
Nalod
USA
3/27/2017  10:39 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

When i talk mental make up, it has nothing to do with talent. Just like melo and rose, these dudes are not leaders, they dont have that KG, Alonzo, LJ, Ewing, leadership attributes. The worst part about it all, they are being develop in a toxic, losing environment, so they are developing losing habits. You can see how they continue to make the same mistakes almost every other possession, let alone game.

We still have to find that leader, that guy who's going to come in an not except losing, that guy who is going to be vocal and push, and get on you when you fail an assignment, be a on court coach. That guy doesn't even have to be the most talent player, he just needs to have that fire. Your going to still need your kp, your aldridge, your Love, melo, and rose. you just can't ask those players to be leaders, because thats not their mental make up, you need other players in that role

That man, his name is Joakim Noah.

holfresh
Member: #1081

3/27/2017  10:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

Myth..Who is the leader on GS...Who is the leader on SA..Myth...

holfresh

3/27/2017  10:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  10:53 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

Myth..Who is the leader on GS...Draymond Green is an idiot..Who is the leader on SA..Myth...

Nalod
USA
3/27/2017  11:10 AM
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

Myth..Who is the leader on GS...Draymond Green is an idiot..Who is the leader on SA..Myth...

Iggy was the man who glued GSW together Three years ago. Mark Jax had not helped the enironment. When he left, it came together.
Spurs, its the prosess of Pop and many role players, and floor leaders who keep it going. The culture has promoted itself.
Knicks, its been Amare's bravado, and melo's empty promises. Talent is one thing, leadership is another.
Seems like Noah and Hernangomez have some chemistry.

holfresh

3/27/2017  11:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  11:21 AM
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:

Iggy was the man who glued GSW together Three years ago. Mark Jax had not helped the enironment. When he left, it came together.
Spurs, its the prosess of Pop and many role players, and floor leaders who keep it going. The culture has promoted itself.
Knicks, its been Amare's bravado, and melo's empty promises. Talent is one thing, leadership is another.
Seems like Noah and Hernangomez have some chemistry.

?????????????..They were pissed when he was fired..They used to go to church regularly with him...Mark didn't lay cover for his gay owner when he preached...Doesn't make him a bad guy...Like Mark would put it, Just fire him but leave him with his good name...

I was never moved with the leadership thing unless it was real..MJ, Bird and Magic were leaders, these characters, no..NOah??...He pounds his chest after a layup..Come on, leadership???

holfresh

3/27/2017  11:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  11:33 AM
Teams were adversarial in nature back in the day...So there needed to be that guy who kept them focused in battle..It's a lot different these days...Guys are buddy buddy with each other...I'm not sure how much of a role that plays in today's game...The good players have a yearning to win, that's good enough today...Guys are resting taking games off..There isn't a drive to win every game they way it used to be...
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/27/2017  11:39 AM
holfresh wrote:Teams were adversarial in nature back in the day...So there needed to be that guy who kept them focused in battle..It's a lot different these days...Guys are buddy buddy with each other...I'm not sure how much of a role that plays in today's game...The good players have a yearning to win, that's good enough today...Guys are resting taking games off..There isn't a drive to win every game they way it used to be...
agreed. I know we dont tend to see eye to eye alot but you are absolutely right. I miss the old days. It was a much tougher league and guys hated losing to eachother and were adversaries. I loved watching knicks/pacers or knicks/heat or knick/bulls in the 90s because they wanted to beat the hell out of eachother. Now everybody is best friends it seems
holfresh

3/27/2017  11:42 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
holfresh wrote:Teams were adversarial in nature back in the day...So there needed to be that guy who kept them focused in battle..It's a lot different these days...Guys are buddy buddy with each other...I'm not sure how much of a role that plays in today's game...The good players have a yearning to win, that's good enough today...Guys are resting taking games off..There isn't a drive to win every game they way it used to be...
agreed. I know we dont tend to see eye to eye alot but you are absolutely right. I miss the old days. It was a much tougher league and guys hated losing to eachother and were adversaries. I loved watching knicks/pacers or knicks/heat or knick/bulls in the 90s because they wanted to beat the hell out of eachother. Now everybody is best friends it seems

This post may need framing..We Agree!!!

Willy an KP "worth building around"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy