[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kp being overwhelmed by nba talent
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/23/2017  9:47 AM
MaulingandAppalling wrote:KP is overrated, it's just that simple. He's a competent young player, but he gets outplayed every game. Certainly can't be the centerpiece of a rebuilding effort - good third or fourth option. Because he's so overrated right now, we could probably trade him for an elite point guard.

I'd have to agree with this. Obviously he could become a franchise player but it's wishful thinking at this point and it's reckless to build a team with the expectation that he becomes one. I have no problem with assuming he can be a solid starter. It's not an issue of patience. I will happily wait for him that to happen. But it's crazy when people think losing doesn't matter and everything bad that Phil's done doesn't matter since we have KP! That's just the imagination making wishful assumptions about his future.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
3/23/2017  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  9:50 AM
Knixkik wrote:
MaulingandAppalling wrote:KP is overrated, it's just that simple. He's a competent young player, but he gets outplayed every game. Certainly can't be the centerpiece of a rebuilding effort - good third or fourth option. Because he's so overrated right now, we could probably trade him for an elite point guard.

Just a bizarre comment. Luckily mavs fans weren't this dumb when it came to dirk, who KP is probably ahead of at the same age.

Statistically, KP is significantly behind Dirk's second year. It's also not wise to assume that any one player will have the same exponential rate of improvement that Dirk had. Why would you?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/23/2017  9:53 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
TPercy wrote:KP just gave Gobert 24, so much for being a top defensive player. He needs a lot of work too.

Yeah you could make this same thread about gobert. Picked apart by a 2nd year player.

If you go by stats then you simply did not watch. I like kp but he's no nba star right now or even close. trying to make him the number 1 might even hurt him. I'm not saying anything about patience I'm just posting today's reality. He's not physically in the same class as good nba centers and he has a bit of a tweeter game . I didn't come on here and say trade kp he stinks-- I said he got throttled the last two nights and physically he's multi years away from those two last players. He's not ready for any nba team to classify him as a teams number 1 option

Neither was Gobert or Deandre Jordan. Both were well behind where KP is at the exact same times in their career. So if your point is to compare KP vs. the last two centers he's played against how about some context. Except that Briggs.. time and time again you show your context is usually the last 5 minutes of basketball you just watched. You have been doing this for years here.

Its constant knee jerk statements from you. Go tell me how Gobert and Jordan looked at 21 in their sophomore seasons. Guess what.. they needed years also.

You want to draft good players but cry about how far away they are developmentally every time they get beat up on by NBA vets who are older and more experienced?

How about you compare KP's defense to Towns? Or WCS? Or Kaminsky? Or OK4?

I can't see how you turn a blind eye to the horrendous defense by our bigs. Jordan, and gobert were defensive players coming in, they have gotten better offensively ( a little) but they are still very dominating defensive figures.

KP/willy There defensive awareness is so for below, that they will never come close to being even avg defenders. They will get better offensively, but they will be worse than Amare, for sure, amre wasn't even this bad because he was very athletic when he was 20, so that made up for his awareness.

KP/Willy are so bad (together), I don't know how many times the camera flash on JH last night and he could be seen saying WTF are you doing?

And lance Thomas, jesus, his first 5 possessions, he left a wide open Lee on the base line, to challenge Gobert, who blocked or redirected every single attempt. It's some of the lowest basketball IQ I have seen in a while.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/23/2017  10:07 AM
I remember briggs being very high on Gorbert as a project player.
Now he starts on a very good team.

KP was getting into foul trouble earlier in the season and perhaps in a learning curve.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/23/2017  10:12 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:I know being Knicks fans that we aren't used to watching the tedious development of young players as they go through there growing pains.

But this is what it looks like.

Yeah we've sucked for 15 years. Actually I'm old enough to have seen Patrick Ewing as a rookie and the development of the Knicks into a nice team for ten years. But we don't have the same management nor do we have Pat Riley

Yeah, but Al Bianchi...

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/23/2017  10:16 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Just a bizarre comment. Luckily mavs fans weren't this dumb when it came to dirk, who KP is probably ahead of at the same age.

Statistically, KP is significantly behind Dirk's second year. It's also not wise to assume that any one player will have the same exponential rate of improvement that Dirk had. Why would you?

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

They are almost identical on stats for age 21.

I've done the comparison many times
Nowitzki at 21 better outside shooter KP better rim protector and at drives to basket

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/23/2017  10:19 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

Nowitzki at 21 better outside shooter KP better rim protector and at drives to basket

FYI, naysayers will point to some advanced stats because it's the end-all-be-all of determining the better player. Today's fans are obsessed with advanced stats because they can always find ones that prove their point.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/23/2017  10:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  10:28 AM
Knixkik wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

FYI, naysayers will point to some advanced stats because it's the end-all-be-all of determining the better player. Today's fans are obsessed with advanced stats because they can always find ones that prove their point.

Even advanced stats, KP looks good. Not great but good.
And what about rim protection?
All around skills?
Did Dirk have to play with Melo n Rose in year 2?
Could Dirk win the skills challenge?

Look Dirk is an all time great 4, and his peak years are way better than current KP. However at 21? Come on even Dirk said KP is off to an even better start.

Some of our fanbase is so obsessed with having the Star finished product they don't even care to wait for a player to develop.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/23/2017  10:29 AM
Knixkik wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

Dif't infrastructures in place for each player at that point in their careers. Dirk was playing for a future HOF coach and with a future HOF PG. And let's not even mention franchise stability. Still, KP looks good for a second year player and I don't think you'll find more than 5 GMs who'll say he isn't a future building block. But will this be the right environment for him, or any young player, to develop?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/23/2017  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  10:31 AM
I believe thats a stretch Briggs, his numbers say otherwise. As others have pointed out, KP needs to bulk up. Look at pictures of Dirk early in in his NBA career. Im pretty sure KP knows he has to bulk up. KP still looks like a kid, Gobert looks like a grown man.

I see KP being more vocal on and off the court lately, directing traffic, thats what you want to see from your possible future franchise player. He's supposed to train with Nowitzki in the off season, confident we will see Porzingis take the next step in his development over the summer, physically and mentally.

Bonn1997
USA
3/23/2017  10:33 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

Per game volume stats? That's so 1990s. No team focuses on them now. Dirk was getting double the assists and passing much better. That added up to much better advanced stats.

Bonn1997
USA
3/23/2017  10:34 AM
Knixkik wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

It's not today's fans. It's today's top teams. They all have strong metrics departments.
Knixkik
USA
3/23/2017  10:36 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

Per game volume stats? That's so 1990s. No team focuses on them now. Dirk was getting double the assists and passing much better. That added up to much better advanced stats.

While Dirk may have been more complete on the offensive end by a small margin, KP has defensive value being top 3 in the league in overall rim protection. That trumps anything Dirk did. KP struggles defensively as most 21 year olds would, but KP can be considered a legit 2-way player because he has major value on both ends.

Knixkik
USA
3/23/2017  10:38 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Wait what?

Dirk at 21 averaged 17/7
KP at 21 averages 18/7

It's not today's fans. It's today's top teams. They all have strong metrics departments.

And i bet you can't find a single "metrics guy" employed by an NBA team that doesn't think KP will eventually be more than a 3rd or 4th option. You are proving my original point.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/23/2017  10:38 AM

omfg, now I've heard it all.

Chandler
Member: #6197

3/23/2017  10:41 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:He was utterly destroyed two games in a row.
He is not balanced and undid plumed offensively and slow footer and weak defensively.
I'm not sure what position he plays he tries to play like a 3 from either the 4-5 and is but a willing passer. He needs a lot of work.

Gobert worked his way into this after 4 years of NBA seasoning. I had him on my fantasy team 2 years ago when he was a 2nd year player and he played like a bitch and was frustrating to own.

Even with KP trying to find his way and getting owned by Gobert tonight he still dropped 24-7. When KP is in his 4th year like Gobert I expect that same climb in strength, understanding and comfort.

Deandre Jordan didn't bring his game together until his 6th year in the league.

Kp needs a lot of work.

Your opinions need more work

(5)(5)
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/23/2017  10:42 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
TPercy wrote:KP just gave Gobert 24, so much for being a top defensive player. He needs a lot of work too.

Yeah you could make this same thread about gobert. Picked apart by a 2nd year player.

If you go by stats then you simply did not watch. I like kp but he's no nba star right now or even close. trying to make him the number 1 might even hurt him. I'm not saying anything about patience I'm just posting today's reality. He's not physically in the same class as good nba centers and he has a bit of a tweeter game . I didn't come on here and say trade kp he stinks-- I said he got throttled the last two nights and physically he's multi years away from those two last players. He's not ready for any nba team to classify him as a teams number 1 option

Neither was Gobert or Deandre Jordan. Both were well behind where KP is at the exact same times in their career. So if your point is to compare KP vs. the last two centers he's played against how about some context. Except that Briggs.. time and time again you show your context is usually the last 5 minutes of basketball you just watched. You have been doing this for years here.

Its constant knee jerk statements from you. Go tell me how Gobert and Jordan looked at 21 in their sophomore seasons. Guess what.. they needed years also.

You want to draft good players but cry about how far away they are developmentally every time they get beat up on by NBA vets who are older and more experienced?

How about you compare KP's defense to Towns? Or WCS? Or Kaminsky? Or OK4?

I can't see how you turn a blind eye to the horrendous defense by our bigs. Jordan, and gobert were defensive players coming in, they have gotten better offensively ( a little) but they are still very dominating defensive figures.

KP/willy There defensive awareness is so for below, that they will never come close to being even avg defenders. They will get better offensively, but they will be worse than Amare, for sure, amre wasn't even this bad because he was very athletic when he was 20, so that made up for his awareness.

KP/Willy are so bad (together), I don't know how many times the camera flash on JH last night and he could be seen saying WTF are you doing?

And lance Thomas, jesus, his first 5 possessions, he left a wide open Lee on the base line, to challenge Gobert, who blocked or redirected every single attempt. It's some of the lowest basketball IQ I have seen in a while.

Their offense still isn't really developed. Gobert's offense last night consisted of alley opps and put back dunks. He imposed his will on a less physically developed KP & Willy and less athletically gifted KOQ.

Kristap had a solid year defensively last year and still has potential in this area. When you watch KP you see that the majority of his problems are that he just isn't physically strong enough yet. Unlike Eddie Curry who was just lazy, and had no awareness. Do you see these traits from KP? I saw KP even though he was getting manhandled at times. He was fighting back as much as he could and trying to compete.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/23/2017  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  10:49 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:

I'd have to agree with this. Obviously he could become a franchise player but it's wishful thinking at this point and it's reckless to build a team with the expectation that he becomes one. I have no problem with assuming he can be a solid starter. It's not an issue of patience. I will happily wait for him that to happen. But it's crazy when people think losing doesn't matter and everything bad that Phil's done doesn't matter since we have KP! That's just the imagination making wishful assumptions about his future.

Let's take a look at the 3rd and 4th best players on the top teams.

GS - Green
SA - Mills/Green/Ginobili
HOU - Williams/Anderson
CLE - Love/Korver
BOS - Horford/Crowder
UTA - Hill/Hood

This isn't exactly amazing company. KP is better than ALL of those guys right now in his sophomore year compared to them when they were in their 2nd seasons (maybe Love can be the exception).

To say he WILL BE a 3rd or 4th option in the future is complete idiocy.

Knixkik
USA
3/23/2017  10:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  10:53 AM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Let's take a look at the 3rd and 4th best players on the top teams.

GS - Green
SA - Mills/Green/Ginobili
HOU - Williams/Anderson
CLE - Love/Korver
BOS - Horford/Crowder
UTA - Hill/Hood

This isn't exactly amazing company. KP is better than ALL of those guys right now in his sophomore year compared to them when they were in their 2nd seasons (maybe Love can be the exception).

To say he WILL BE a 3rd or 4th option in the future is complete idiocy.

+1. Some just say things without putting any thought or logic into them. Thank you for breaking this down. I think where he is at now, the main question will be whether he develops into a true #1 guy, or is a 2nd option on a good team. But 3rd or 4th is just trolling.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/23/2017  10:51 AM
KP should look at the physique Rudy Gobert has been able to carve out for himself. That should be KP's goal over the next few years. KP needs to add some lean muscle - not get too big, just stronger. He's still young, so there's time.

I followed Gobert early in his career, too, he has constantly improved over the past four seasons to be the beast he is now. Hope KP can keep developing here.

¿ △ ?
Kp being overwhelmed by nba talent

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy