[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hornacek says Knicks committing to Triangle next season
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/23/2017  7:32 AM
KP and Willy look good in the Triangle.
Rose has also looked not bad this month surprinsgly on offense.

Numbers since went all in on Triangle.

KP 17.9 ppg 25.5% Usage Rate (went up) 43% Shooting 108 O rating (went up from previous month)
Rose 18.1 ppg 24% Usage Rate (went down by 2 points) 48% Shooting (went up) 4.1 apg 112 O Rating (Rose's O rating has gone up in the Triangle)
Melo 17,7 ppg 24% Usage Rate (down by 8 points from previous month) 38.5% shooting 102 O Rating

KP, Rose have both seen their offense rating and numbers improve in this month since we went all in to the Triangle. Melo on the other hand is the one that has seen his numbers shift downward and struggle the most. His usage rate and field goal percentage are much lower.

At this point, a little less than a mont into the all in Triangle era with this team, it's clear KP and Rose can do what they want in the Triangle, but Melo is suffering big time. I'm actually shocked at this, because Melo should in theory fit in best of the 3 of them. He has all the same skills Kobe has (maybe not to the same degree) and I'm surprised he is struggling so bad with it.

AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis

3/23/2017  7:35 AM
I was comparing to previous month for those interested.
KP and Rose numbers on offense have been better in March/post-Triangle than pre-Triangle. Melo is on a huge drop off. Very surprised. Could also be Melo has quit on the season, seeing as that the playoffs are lost and he already hates Phil/Triangle and simply does not want to see this style of play suceed.

Melo is our tank commander right now. Numbers don't lie. Go look at March's Melo's numbers, people.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01/splits/2017

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/23/2017  7:55 AM

Think Phil and Jeff ever talked about this when Jeff got hired or was interviewing?
Think Jeff, who lost twice as a member of the Jazz to the Bulls in the finals understands how it works?
Think anyone who took time to read Phils books to understand also knows that phil had teams in the middle of run's that did not come together and understands the problem with buy in?
Really, Rambis is now the Knicks "Dick Chaney" or Steve Bannon?
Funny, last year there was a debate about the Phils bulls who won 72 games vs GSW. Nobody said "gee, bulls running that triangle and would be destroyed....."

What is the triangle? Two handed set shots? 4 corners stall game? no, its ball movement and off the ball movement. All teams do this, but this one has a name and a blame.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/23/2017  9:09 AM
Nalod wrote:
Think Phil and Jeff ever talked about this when Jeff got hired or was interviewing?
Think Jeff, who lost twice as a member of the Jazz to the Bulls in the finals understands how it works?
Think anyone who took time to read Phils books to understand also knows that phil had teams in the middle of run's that did not come together and understands the problem with buy in?
Funny, last year there was a debate about the Phils bulls who won 72 games vs GSW. Nobody said "gee, bulls running that triangle and would be destroyed....."

What is the triangle? Two handed set shots? 4 corners stall game? no, its ball movement and off the ball movement. All teams do this, but this one has a name and a blame.

exactly... its incredible what this has been turned into. So silly. But people need blame and the Knicks stink. Some love Melo, some love the young guys, some hate Phil... so when it comes to assigning blame the triangle is a nice common theme.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/23/2017  10:15 AM
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

exactly... its incredible what this has been turned into. So silly. But people need blame and the Knicks stink. Some love Melo, some love the young guys, some hate Phil... so when it comes to assigning blame the triangle is a nice common theme.

It takes too damned long for players to learn. Not many fans of the system playing in the league today. Praise for the Triangle comes mostly from former players.

Look at how many players have come and gone trying to learn this system. The championship Bulls and Laker teams had Phil coaching them, and most of the actors in place.

Those teams had some continuity. If Phil wants this system to work, he has to put a team in place for better or worse, not blow up the roster every season. It would be difficult even if it was more of a plug n' play system with all the turnover, let alone a system that requires several seasons to grasp.

As for Hornacek, he wasnt so gung ho about the Triangle before.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/23/2017  10:20 AM
Contrast.

Gee, lets fire Phil. IN contrast to what? A mystical ideal of a super ex player with an MIT degree in economics and Billy Bean sensibilities yet a super scout eye for talent?
Lets get a new owner! IN contrast to one who will say the right things but have a high debt to service and might not want to spend money?
Lets trash the triangle! In contrast to Iso ball? Or Pop's ball movement and off the ball movement disciplines?
Lets bash KP? In contrast to the notion that what I see is all he will be at 21 years old?
Willy can't defend! Incontrast to a second round pick who only played 165 minutes last season and was on the bench to start this one?
Rambis is Evil! IN contrast to his rings as a player, assistant coach or assistant GM? We only count his Minny tenure?

Great to take like 10 players in each draft and say you like them, then say "Told you so" down the road. Fact is GM's get one crack at one player and don't have the benefit of hindsight or portal to the future.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/23/2017  10:29 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

It takes too damned long for players to learn. Not many fans of the system playing in the league today. Praise for the Triangle comes mostly from former players.

Look at how many players have come and gone trying to learn this system. The championship Bulls and Laker teams had Phil coaching them, and most of the actors in place.

Those teams had some continuity. If Phil wants this system to work, he has to put a team in place for better or worse, not blow up the roster every season. It would be difficult even if it was more of a plug n' play system with all the turnover, let alone a system that requires several seasons to grasp.

it does take a really long time to learn... the reason I'm not against the idea though is that it teaches five-man movement. Most of thse guys grew up playing two-man ball - just variations of the pick and roll. If it can get successfully implemented we would have such an advantage moving forward.

I think the reason Horny is on board is because he's said doing it his way, his guys would get pinned in the corners and that put him at a disadvantage defensively. He did some good htings in Phoenix but we don't have nearly that caliber of guard on our roster

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/23/2017  10:39 AM
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Look, it's undisputed that Phil was a great coach. And could coach the Triangle very very well.

But Phil is not coaching here. He's brought in two different young coaches who showed promise for different reasons. And it seemed both of them had a preference to move away from the Triangle and install some of their own stuff. Both times Phil stepped in and said "nope, we're running a pure Triangle." This has happened each of the past two seasons.

That doesn't seem like undercutting the coach to you? There have been articles mentioning that the players lost trust in Hornacek for going back to the Triangle. Obviously the young guys, many of them this is their first NBA experience, they're clinging to their roster spot with their lives, they aren't gonna say jack. The vets seem confused and have lost faith. Is it the wrong vets? Are they all problem children? Afflalo doesn't have a rep for being a bad guy, but here he was villified for expressing confusion over his role.

You guys can point to Phil's coaching the Triangle all you want. That's fine. But that's not his role here - his role is to build a roster and install a chain of command and put his coaches and players in a situation to succeed. Obviously he's been limited on the draft pick side and he's done well to bring in a decent bench of young guys who play hard, but in all other aspects - trades, major signings, hiring coaches and helping them thrive, installing a culture of trust with clear responsibilities... I mean that stuff has been a mess. And that's the biggest part for me - I was excited when we got Phil because I thought the circus atmosphere was ending.

Donnie Walsh made plenty of mistakes, but I liked the feeling that at least it wasn't a circus and he had a clear plan and tried to execute it. Phil has gone back and forth on the plan a few times, understandable. But the culture here has been a mess - and a lot of that is on him, specifically the relationships he's had with coaches he has hand picked and then put in untenable positions. Hornacek is now in the position of having to teach a system he didn't choose and he doesn't know that well. Maybe he can succeed - I like him and he seems like a smart basketball mind... but the situation he has been placed in is not ideal.

I wish you guys could let go of this narrative that the people who are frustrated are trying to find a scape goat or something. Man, PHIL HIMSELF has blamed scapegoats the past three years - first it was JR/Shump, then Fisher wasn't answering his texts, now its Melo not moving the ball. Phil has created this atmosphere of finger-pointing and blame-games. That's one of the most disappointing aspects of his tenure to me. You could live with the basketball moves - everyone makes mistakes, he had limited moves on his chess board, etc - but the atmosphere of blame and distrust is just toxic and it has to end. DRose went AWOL this year and thought about retiring from the game until his mom smacked some sense into him. That is not a sign of a healthy team atmosphere. As Team President who has signed or brought in every single player and coach on the team - the buck stops with Phil to foster a healthy environment. Or at least I hoped that would be the case. It really hasn't been.

¿ △ ?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/23/2017  10:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  10:43 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

it does take a really long time to learn... the reason I'm not against the idea though is that it teaches five-man movement. Most of thse guys grew up playing two-man ball - just variations of the pick and roll. If it can get successfully implemented we would have such an advantage moving forward.

I think the reason Horny is on board is because he's said doing it his way, his guys would get pinned in the corners and that put him at a disadvantage defensively. He did some good htings in Phoenix but we don't have nearly that caliber of guard on our roster

I was on board with Hornacek getting the job. I dont blame him for this season, at least not the lionshare of the blame. He's the coach, he has to take some of it. When I hear from Jeff that what this team needs is more Triangle, I Wonder if its going to be another lost season teaching players who wont be around long enough to figure it out?

Thats been the MO of this team since Phil got here. I would feel a lot better about the Triangle as the go to system, if a roster was more or less in place.

holfresh
Member: #1081

3/23/2017  10:43 AM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Look, it's undisputed that Phil was a great coach. And could coach the Triangle very very well.

But Phil is not coaching here. He's brought in two different young coaches who showed promise for different reasons. And it seemed both of them had a preference to move away from the Triangle and install some of their own stuff. Both times Phil stepped in and said "nope, we're running a pure Triangle." This has happened each of the past two seasons.

That doesn't seem like undercutting the coach to you? There have been articles mentioning that the players lost trust in Hornacek for going back to the Triangle. Obviously the young guys, many of them this is their first NBA experience, they're clinging to their roster spot with their lives, they aren't gonna say jack. The vets seem confused and have lost faith. Is it the wrong vets? Are they all problem children? Afflalo doesn't have a rep for being a bad guy, but here he was villified for expressing confusion over his role.

You guys can point to Phil's coaching the Triangle all you want. That's fine. But that's not his role here - his role is to build a roster and install a chain of command and put his coaches and players in a situation to succeed. Obviously he's been limited on the draft pick side and he's done well to bring in a decent bench of young guys who play hard, but in all other aspects - trades, major signings, hiring coaches and helping them thrive, installing a culture of trust with clear responsibilities... I mean that stuff has been a mess. And that's the biggest part for me - I was excited when we got Phil because I thought the circus atmosphere was ending.

Donnie Walsh made plenty of mistakes, but I liked the feeling that at least it wasn't a circus and he had a clear plan and tried to execute it. Phil has gone back and forth on the plan a few times, understandable. But the culture here has been a mess - and a lot of that is on him, specifically the relationships he's had with coaches he has hand picked and then put in untenable positions. Hornacek is now in the position of having to teach a system he didn't choose and he doesn't know that well. Maybe he can succeed - I like him and he seems like a smart basketball mind... but the situation he has been placed in is not ideal.

I wish you guys could let go of this narrative that the people who are frustrated are trying to find a scape goat or something. Man, PHIL HIMSELF has blamed scapegoats the past three years - first it was JR/Shump, then Fisher wasn't answering his texts, now its Melo not moving the ball. Phil has created this atmosphere of finger-pointing and blame-games. That's one of the most disappointing aspects of his tenure to me. You could live with the basketball moves - everyone makes mistakes, he had limited moves on his chess board, etc - but the atmosphere of blame and distrust is just toxic and it has to end. DRose went AWOL this year and thought about retiring from the game until his mom smacked some sense into him. That is not a sign of a healthy team atmosphere. As Team President who has signed or brought in every single player and coach on the team - the buck stops with Phil to foster a healthy environment. Or at least I hoped that would be the case. It really hasn't been.

fishmike
USA
3/23/2017  11:32 AM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Well he certainly has failed to mold Melo into what he envisioned. Circus? Walsh traded a first rounder for cap space to sign... Amare Stoudemire. That was his plan. Circus? Isiah traded 2 unprotected picks for a player who's team was ready to pay him to retire from the sport. This has not been a circus, just not a good team.

The finger pointing and blame game was alive and well long before Phil got here.

Phil failed to rebuild/retool the roster around Melo. Considering Melo's performance Phil grossly overestimated what Melo had in the tank.

You said it best. Phil has backed into a rebuild and at the end of the day I am just fine with that, and I am fine with the young talent Phil brings in. I am good with seeing this through, mistakes aside. I dont need to make excuses for Phil. He's hasnt helped, but if Melo/Rose are off this roster and we have another good young building block I am great with the direction of the team, triangle or not.

crzymdups
USA
3/23/2017  11:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  12:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Well he certainly has failed to mold Melo into what he envisioned. Circus? Walsh traded a first rounder for cap space to sign... Amare Stoudemire. That was his plan. Circus? Isiah traded 2 unprotected picks for a player who's team was ready to pay him to retire from the sport. This has not been a circus, just not a good team.

The finger pointing and blame game was alive and well long before Phil got here.

Phil failed to rebuild/retool the roster around Melo. Considering Melo's performance Phil grossly overestimated what Melo had in the tank.

You said it best. Phil has backed into a rebuild and at the end of the day I am just fine with that, and I am fine with the young talent Phil brings in. I am good with seeing this through, mistakes aside. I dont need to make excuses for Phil. He's hasnt helped, but if Melo/Rose are off this roster and we have another good young building block I am great with the direction of the team, triangle or not.

I'll be happy to have another young player - hopefully a young stud on the roster.

The Triangle / coaching stuff concerns me though. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I wonder if Phil has reflected that if Jerry Krause forced Phil to run a specific offense on his first coaching job, the vaunted Triangle never would've gotten a chance. I guess Phil is lucky that his boss put complete faith in his coaching abilities and gave him freedom to choose what he felt was the right system. You don't get that kind of boss very often.

¿ △ ?
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/23/2017  12:07 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I'll be happy to have another young player - hopefully a young stud on the roster.

The Triangle / coaching stuff concerns me though. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I wonder if Phil has reflected that if Jerry Krause forced Phil to run a specific offense on his first coaching job, the vaunted Triangle never would've gotten a chance. I guess Phil is lucky that his boss put complete faith in his coaching abilities and gave him freedom to choose what he felt was the right system. You don't get that kind of boss very often.

They are conflating Phil Jackson coaching results with the triangle...Phil isn't coaching...

fishmike
USA
3/23/2017  12:26 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Plenty of concerns with Phil! The bottom line is he has yet to succeed. The only thing he has NOT done is repeat the mistakes of the idiots (Isiah) we have had in the past. He has kept the roster flexible and has kept our picks. He's brought in some promising young players but thats it. Phil has done nothing impressive here except take KP despite the pressure to avoid an unknown Euro kid.

I do think when we move on from Melo you will start seeing more system basketball. I do not anticipate that making us better in the short term with so many young players, but I am OK with that. I do get your frustration with Phil, but I think its confused and exasperated by all the noise that follows this team. This franchise desperatly needs a stretch where it collects a sustainable core of talent. Stinking and drafting well will accomplish that. So long as we build that I am be patient with any BS along the way.

crzymdups
USA
3/23/2017  12:49 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Plenty of concerns with Phil! The bottom line is he has yet to succeed. The only thing he has NOT done is repeat the mistakes of the idiots (Isiah) we have had in the past. He has kept the roster flexible and has kept our picks. He's brought in some promising young players but thats it. Phil has done nothing impressive here except take KP despite the pressure to avoid an unknown Euro kid.

I do think when we move on from Melo you will start seeing more system basketball. I do not anticipate that making us better in the short term with so many young players, but I am OK with that. I do get your frustration with Phil, but I think its confused and exasperated by all the noise that follows this team. This franchise desperatly needs a stretch where it collects a sustainable core of talent. Stinking and drafting well will accomplish that. So long as we build that I am be patient with any BS along the way.

I agree about needing to acquire a stock of young blue chips in the lotto. Hell, most of us have agreed they had to do that since about 2002 when they made the disastrous Camby and Nene for McDyess trade.

But it's worth noting again that the earliest first rounder Phil could trade has always been 2018. His hands were tied by previous regimes. Maybe he would've built through the draft starting in 2014... Or maybe not. We can't really say. I'll give him credit for not trading the 2018 pick if he makes it through next season without trading it. Trading picks that are far out has never been as enticing to other teams as being able to trade an immediate pick. So when Phil has that option starting next year and he still doesn't do it, then I'll give him a lot of credit.

And there assuredly is noise from the NYC media trying to sell papers. But there is also plenty of national level noise. The Knicks get murdered on national tv by national announcers every time they go on. So it's not just some NYC hallucination. People around the league are questioning all this too. Especially the coaching situation and the triangle situation.

Here's a national article from today -

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
3/23/2017  1:32 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I agree about needing to acquire a stock of young blue chips in the lotto. Hell, most of us have agreed they had to do that since about 2002 when they made the disastrous Camby and Nene for McDyess trade.

But it's worth noting again that the earliest first rounder Phil could trade has always been 2018. His hands were tied by previous regimes. Maybe he would've built through the draft starting in 2014... Or maybe not. We can't really say. I'll give him credit for not trading the 2018 pick if he makes it through next season without trading it. Trading picks that are far out has never been as enticing to other teams as being able to trade an immediate pick. So when Phil has that option starting next year and he still doesn't do it, then I'll give him a lot of credit.

And there assuredly is noise from the NYC media trying to sell papers. But there is also plenty of national level noise. The Knicks get murdered on national tv by national announcers every time they go on. So it's not just some NYC hallucination. People around the league are questioning all this too. Especially the coaching situation and the triangle situation.

Here's a national article from today -

A lot of people dont like Phil. He's arrogant and was pretty insufferable when he was winning. I certainly hated him. You know there is a media culture to trample guys like that. It sells.

As for trading the picks there are other options, like what NJ did. You can always switch. He could have moved KP for a package that would have fetched a high end veteran or two. Again... no gold medals for this, but there were options.

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/23/2017  2:47 PM
So rambis took over the defense in december, and now the offense, so exactly what's Jeff's job again?
ES
helloharv
Member: #4139

3/23/2017  2:51 PM
what a freakin joke
nyknickzingis

3/23/2017  4:09 PM
I won't lie, I am not happy or excited the Triangle is coming back in full throttle. However I will give it this last chance. I do want Phil to go all in this time, to go out in free agency, in trades and in the draft to get the right players to run the system.

One thing I believe we need to pass on is spending money on a point guard.
We should look for players that can shoot, pass and defend. We don't need drivers. The Triangle runs it's best when the players in the system aren't used to driving the ball off the dribble much. That's why many NBA players don't like it that much.

I hope it works out, but I won't lie, I am not very happy that this is happening. While I fully believe KP and Willy fit in well, as does backup guards Baker/Randle, Holiday, Lee and Lance Thomas are solid reserves in it as well, most players we'd want to get in free agency won't be easy to sell on this. We're looking at trades, maybe. I don't want us keeping Rose under any circumstances if the Triangle is back.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/23/2017  4:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Everything is in alignment for the Knicks to stink and be in the lottery for the near future. The leader of the accidental tank pushing the triangle again with another reset sabotaging continuity again for year 4 should seal the deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Hornacek says Knicks committing to Triangle next season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy