bigger need = PG or SG ?
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

3/21/2017  3:37 PM
PG, SF and SG in that order.

PG is obvious.
SF because we need a starting quality two way player to take minutes away from Melo
SG - this merely a nice to have, Lee is quite adequate. A second rounder like Grayson Allen or that other guy I named in the draft thread would do, to play behind Lee.

This is why I prefer all the other to talent over Monk, who really is a SG.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/21/2017  3:39 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
MS wrote:I think Lee and Holiday is a nice combination at the shooting guard.

We need a leader that can direct traffic and tell guys where they need to be and get the bigs open shots and make the game easier for Melo.

Unfortunately i don't think J.Holiday will re-sign with us next year. He's gonna get as big raise next year and not sure it will be us giving it to him. I hope we do cause i think he's been one of our more solid two way players all year and have been saying all year that he's deserved more playing time but i just don't see it. It would be nice if we could get him and his brother and then we could draft J.Tatum in the draft.

Phil is apparently a big Holiday fan. Apparently he was never just a throw in, they had scouted him and liked him a long time.
If that's true, I think they keep him.

Good. That should settle the SG position for a while. Holiday deserves a raise, we should pay him, within reason.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/21/2017  3:40 PM
I do miss the days of Allan Houston- a tall SG with a beautiful shot. They are very rare nowadays, so you have to settle for combo-guards at the SG spot. There are more better PGs than SGs in this draft, and very few good, unrestricted SG in free agency. So you're either going to have to trade for Crabbe, or wait until next years draft to land our future SG.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/21/2017  3:43 PM
Westbrook and Harden are big guards who don't play either. They are ball dominant studs.
Take the best athlete that can accomplish the job Phil wants that player to do. Kobe and Jordan were both distributer and creator.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

3/21/2017  7:24 PM
helloharv wrote:What is our bigger need ? replacing Rose or Lee ?

Biggest need is a wing who can play elite perimeter defense, hopefully on a cost controlled contract and the ability to hit a 3 point shot at least at a league average rate. Knicks need at LEAST 2. Ideally have THREE with a younger prospect of that type bubbling up and developing.

The elite established ones never hit FA. Their original teams lock them up, if they can.

The restricted are usually flawed wing who get overpaid.

The available wings are usually guys in decline and in FA would likely be overpaid for past performance.

Best way to get them is to draft them. Develop them. Chew up their up and coming years and enjoy their prime years at cost control. This is the ideal.

You do need someone to distribute the ball, but you don't need a "traditional PG" to do it. Plenty of wings can be combo guards who can distribute, maybe not at a Magic Johnson or John Stockton level, but can do a functional job. The game has changed. What helps is versatility, a player who can play and defend multiple positions and a player offensively who has the range to space the floor and exploit matchups.

An elite PG is a nice luxury to have. You can, however, win without one. Effective and top shelf wing play is CRITICAL. You cannot win in the modern game without it.

I don't care what they call the player on the depth chart by position, can he play the wing or not is the question.

JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/21/2017  9:39 PM
smackeddog wrote:I do miss the days of Allan Houston- a tall SG with a beautiful shot. They are very rare nowadays, so you have to settle for combo-guards at the SG spot. There are more better PGs than SGs in this draft, and very few good, unrestricted SG in free agency. So you're either going to have to trade for Crabbe, or wait until next years draft to land our future SG.

I don't miss him. He was soft.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
3/21/2017  10:19 PM
Mark Jackson and Derek Harper were two dynamic Knick guards who were capable of scoring and pass first.
I believe J Jackson is NbA ready but a sf as is Tatum. I'll pass on them and secure a floor general in Fox. The other two are dynamic but Chris Paul runs the show and we need a guard who can run it and be a general. This team is very undisciplined. Fox will also score and pick up the pace.
bigger need = PG or SG ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy