Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/21/2017  10:43 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
franco12 wrote:Here is my problem with Phil. I think it's safe to say he expected the Knicks to compete this year. He wasn't merely wrong, he was wildly wrong.

We need a GM who can better judge what we have, and what we need.

We are probably definitely looking at the lottery the next 2 years at a min. We need a GM who understands that and plans accordingly.

I know you as a coach and player can't play to lose, but GM is a different game. Fourth and long deep in your end, it's ok to punt, and that is what we need our GM to see and do.

He tried and failed at winning now. He did not fail at stockpiling youth. He's got to finish off his contract and then we can evaluate what to do next. We expect to be in the lotto this off season and ther next. That coinsides with that plan... so we all just need to chill and enjoy this. It's never been done before. Id hate to miss this journey crying

Yeah, at the very least he gave us flexibility. Rose sucks, but he is only here for a year. Not really a big deal in the long-term. The team still needs to sell tickets and Rose did create buzz early on. I think it freed up Phil to start planning long-term w/o James breathing down his neck. I think it also frees us up in terms of draft strategy. We can truly look at the best player available, instead of reaching based on position.

we had more flexibility before this summer. Lee & Noah eat up a lot of the cap, and they are the wrong side of 30.

I get that things could be worse.

However, we have to wait and see what we do with Rose before we talk about flexibility.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/21/2017  10:45 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
franco12 wrote:Here is my problem with Phil. I think it's safe to say he expected the Knicks to compete this year. He wasn't merely wrong, he was wildly wrong.

We are probably definitely looking at the lottery the next 2 years at a min. We need a GM who understands that and plans accordingly.

I know you as a coach and player can't play to lose, but GM is a different game. Fourth and long deep in your end, it's ok to punt, and that is what we need our GM to see and do.

He tried and failed at winning now. He did not fail at stockpiling youth. He's got to finish off his contract and then we can evaluate what to do next. We expect to be in the lotto this off season and ther next. That coinsides with that plan... so we all just need to chill and enjoy this. It's never been done before. Id hate to miss this journey crying

Yeah, at the very least he gave us flexibility. Rose sucks, but he is only here for a year. Not really a big deal in the long-term. The team still needs to sell tickets and Rose did create buzz early on. I think it freed up Phil to start planning long-term w/o James breathing down his neck. I think it also frees us up in terms of draft strategy. We can truly look at the best player available, instead of reaching based on position.

The last time we had 2 Knick drafted lotto picks on the team was Danilo Gallinari and Jordan Hill. (Yeah I know I proposed trading the pick for Porter but I was just going over options. And I would still do it if he proves to be more valuable then the available pick)

Hill is a good example of us reaching for a player based on position played, rather than talent lol I like Porter. But if we sign him, it ramps up our need to find a quality playmaker. Otto is a good player, but he plays a defined role and can't carry us. I could see threads like "Porter is nonstarter material" if we added him next year.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/21/2017  10:59 AM
fishmike wrote:

if you are so convinced at how good he thought this team would be why didnt he build it up? He could have traded future assets to take this to the next level. He didnt. You know why? He's a much smarter GM than you give him credit for.

You think Phil thought this would compete? Why? Because he said so? Is that why he had 5 rookies on the roster? Because he was convinced this team would compete? You guys come to these conclusions than say them over and over until you think they are true.

Phil's FA offseason was to give Melo his chance to play with some better talent and probably show Dolan the only path to rebuilding this is with young coachable players.

Exactly this ^^^.

Phil had to do two things - give Melo a shot to prove himself with "legit" talent to placate Dolan...AND show Dolan the direction that lays ahead, which is to rebuild through the draft. He accomplished his goals and will set us on a better path forward. That's maybe not a win now strategy, but it's the RIGHT strategy for this franchise. Finally! After so much mediocrity, someone gets it and had the balls to see it through, despite JD.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/21/2017  11:00 AM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

if you are so convinced at how good he thought this team would be why didnt he build it up? He could have traded future assets to take this to the next level. He didnt. You know why? He's a much smarter GM than you give him credit for.

You think Phil thought this would compete? Why? Because he said so? Is that why he had 5 rookies on the roster? Because he was convinced this team would compete? You guys come to these conclusions than say them over and over until you think they are true.

Phil's FA offseason was to give Melo his chance to play with some better talent and probably show Dolan the only path to rebuilding this is with young coachable players.

He picked up Rose, Noah & Lee & Jennings.

He basically had no choice but to fill the remaining spots with rookies because he had already maxed out his cap space.

Who are these great rookies Phil brought in to build the future with? Ron Baker? Kuz? Randle? Those three are borderline NBA players, and would be sitting on the bench on better teams.

I know I don't know what Phil was thinking. But I think it is reasonably to assume that as a GM, you don't hand out 4 year deals to Noah & Lee if you're thinking they'll be great for the kids. Sorry, Herb Williams is around.

You don't trade Lopez who has played every game for, in essence, two players that barely played 82 between them last year in Noah & Rose.

You don't bring in Rose, and then change your mind because, well, he doesn't fit the triangle. Phil is not paid $12M a year to rely on hindsight.

So while I don't know for sure what Phil was thinking, he sure acted and traded out like he thought things were going to be way better.

Because if you thought we were going to end up in the lottery, he could have saved $50M by not acquiring Rose, Lee & Noah and achieved the same results.

Look, his gamble was SO BAD, I have to question his judgement.

Actually, those rooks are an excellent bench that matches up great with most benches in the NBA. Certainly better than borderline talent.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/21/2017  11:13 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

The last time we had 2 Knick drafted lotto picks on the team was Danilo Gallinari and Jordan Hill. (Yeah I know I proposed trading the pick for Porter but I was just going over options. And I would still do it if he proves to be more valuable then the available pick)

Hill is a good example of us reaching for a player based on position played, rather than talent lol I like Porter. But if we sign him, it ramps up our need to find a quality playmaker. Otto is a good player, but he plays a defined role and can't carry us. I could see threads like "Porter is nonstarter material" if we added him next year.

Hill was probably a compromise between Walsh and MDA. They probably didn't love the PGs available after Rubio and Curry. Derozan was the best player available and had the most potential. But I could see MDA not caring for him due to not valuing players like him. Hill was probably looked at as that defensive finisher who will get them 9-10rebs, play defense, and shoot at a 60TS%. As a lottery pick though that was a reach.

Porter should be an option depending on where we draft.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/21/2017  11:16 AM
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

Phil had to do two things - give Melo a shot to prove himself with "legit" talent to placate Dolan...AND show Dolan the direction that lays ahead, which is to rebuild through the draft. He accomplished his goals and will set us on a better path forward. That's maybe not a win now strategy, but it's the RIGHT strategy for this franchise. Finally! After so much mediocrity, someone gets it and had the balls to see it through, despite JD.

We are another KP/Willy/Grant type of draft from really moving the needle. Will it win us more games? No.. but its where we need to go.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

3/21/2017  11:28 AM
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

Well said. We finally have a strategy and are executing to it. Phil had one first round pick in three years and he still managed to build a core. "WIN NOW" is not a strategy, its more like a diversion. But, as you said it was probably the only way to prove a point to Dolan. Six years we have seen rosters being put together to complement Melo and every year its the GMs fault for not getting the right players. This is such a played out storyline. Bad GMs, bad coaches, bad teammates, bad media, bad fans and Super-Melo. Seeesh.

But with the lottery there's always risk and when ad if that risk plays out the fans that come for the drama will scream for Phil's head. It's the life of a GM in NY.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/21/2017  11:32 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I would say unless we get Ball or some kind of different miracle-- were are bound to rebuild regardless of Jim Dolan wanting to or not. We have an older Carmelo Anthony and a whole lot of holes

That should be the goal -- top 6 pick this year. Top 5 pick next year and maybe even a Top 10 pick in 2019 -- I think KP would be 25 going into 2020 season -- correct?

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/21/2017  1:32 PM
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

I don't understand how you can think that Phil's off season moves were designed to show Dolan that he had to rebuild. I don't buy it.

It's a lovely thought. Really.

I think Phil's approach was to try to put a winning roster together. He had his star player, and he thought Melo like Lebron could lift up a team and get it to the play offs. He gambled, getting the only talent that was available- which all had flaws. I'm sure he knew they had flaws, but I think it's a reach to think Phil did this almost to spite Dolan. Hah, I spent $74m on Noah, he's a winner. Oh, look, he's hurt. Have to rebuild.

No, Phil handed out an awful contract to a player whose best days are behind him.

I'm tired of being Donnie Walsh giving out a max deal to Amare.

I want to be the Phoenix Suns that won't go more than 1-3 years because they know he can't last. I want to be the smart franchise that makes smart moves.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/21/2017  2:02 PM
franco12 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

I don't understand how you can think that Phil's off season moves were designed to show Dolan that he had to rebuild. I don't buy it.

I think Phil's approach was to try to put a winning roster together. He had his star player, and he thought Melo like Lebron could lift up a team and get it to the play offs. He gambled, getting the only talent that was available- which all had flaws. I'm sure he knew they had flaws, but I think it's a reach to think Phil did this almost to spite Dolan. Hah, I spent $74m on Noah, he's a winner. Oh, look, he's hurt. Have to rebuild.

No, Phil handed out an awful contract to a player whose best days are behind him.

I want to be the Phoenix Suns that won't go more than 1-3 years because they know he can't last. I want to be the smart franchise that makes smart moves.

I think Phil figured he was playing with house money. He probably thought Noah had more in the tank, but he knew KP, and maybe even Willy, would fill in eventually in a few years anyway. Rose was a roll of the dice. If he performs, we have a PG for the next few years. If he doesn't, he just comes off the books. Even the best GMs give horrible contracts and make bad trades once in a while. Phoenix traded for Shaq at the wrong point in his career, too. The key is not compounding the situation, like, signing Jared Jeffries or trading for Steve Francis. Phil's moves, still give us the ability, to pivot. I'm not the biggest Phil fan, but at least he hasn't damned our future to chase after a seventh seed in the playoffs.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
USA
3/21/2017  2:17 PM
franco12 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

absolute twist of words. You may not buy it, but this is what a good GM does. There was nothing about this roster that promised a deep playoff run, so Phil 100% hedged it.

Did Phil go all in with this group? No.
Did Phil add enough talent to make the playoffs? Yes.
Did Phil use future picks or trade blue chip prospects to elevate this group? No.

If Phil has another draft like KP/Will/Grant the needle moves a lot closer to a rebuild some good foundation players. That is what good management does. When things dont go your way, when guys get hurt, when veteran players with big egos cant develop chemistry a good GM will take a step back to take two steps forward.

Its not that you DONT see it, its that you choose not to.

You just cant get past Phil's teams not making the playoffs. That is your hang up. Every GM fails. Every GM makes mistakes. Every GM has bad drafts and and every GM signs FAs that dont work out. You learn much more about GMs when they fail than when they succeed.

Good GMs leave their rosters flexible, their pipeline fed and draft picks intact. You cant flip rosters in the NBA.

You seem to think I am making excuses. Phil has not been good here, but what Phil has NOT done is doubled down on the mess. We have young players to look at and evaluate. He did not take over a good team. He did not improve that team. He did remain flexible, he did not tie us into contracts that would cap us for years and we have all our picks moving forward and we have drafted well under him. Patience.

fishmike
USA
3/21/2017  2:19 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

I think Phil figured he was playing with house money. He probably thought Noah had more in the tank, but he knew KP, and maybe even Willy, would fill in eventually in a few years anyway. Rose was a roll of the dice. If he performs, we have a PG for the next few years. If he doesn't, he just comes off the books. Even the best GMs give horrible contracts and make bad trades once in a while. Phoenix traded for Shaq at the wrong point in his career, too. The key is not compounding the situation, like, signing Jared Jeffries or trading for Steve Francis. Phil's moves, still give us the ability, to pivot. I'm not the biggest Phil fan, but at least he hasn't damned our future to chase after a seventh seed in the playoffs.

I should have just said +1. Exactly. Every GM makes mistakes. On paper Lee/Rose/Noah are good fits for Melo. The chemsitry wasnt there. Thanks to Phil neither was the commitment. Lee is movable, Rose can come off the books and we will see if Noah can bounce back or he's a total bust.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/21/2017  2:38 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I would say unless we get Ball or some kind of different miracle-- were are bound to rebuild regardless of Jim Dolan wanting to or not. We have an older Carmelo Anthony and a whole lot of holes

That should be the goal -- top 6 pick this year. Top 5 pick next year and maybe even a Top 10 pick in 2019 -- I think KP would be 25 going into 2020 season -- correct?

If we get into the top 5-6 I feel confident well get a good player--Im scared past 6. I want no part of the skinny french PG--and darn I could be wrong as heck--but I think for this organization we need safety. I think with one of Fox Tatum Ball Jackson or Fultz we will be getting atleast a good player. I dont feel like Im guessing there. Maybe those guys dont end up as good as the franchise--but thats ok. Thats why we need full steam ahead on losing--I really dont want to be negative on the Knicks other than pointing out facts--like KP and Willy together dont look good defensively. Lee might be better suited to come off the bench next year. Stay objective so we are not fooling ourselves. But in terms of the L's a loss is a win--if we lose the last 12 games--mathematically we are GUARANTEED spot 4 with a supreme outside shot at 3(the Suns would have to go 6-6 and wed have to go 0-12. At spot #4 we have a lot of BALLS and we have position. There is better than 50% chance we can move up and the laws of averages might be on our side.

RIP Crushalot😞
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

3/21/2017  2:43 PM

So then maybe now all the people that play internet GM can stop now since we all thought we were gonna compete this year so i guess we all suck at judging talent.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/21/2017  2:46 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

If we get into the top 5-6 I feel confident well get a good player--Im scared past 6. I want no part of the skinny french PG--and darn I could be wrong as heck--but I think for this organization we need safety. I think with one of Fox Tatum Ball Jackson or Fultz we will be getting atleast a good player. I dont feel like Im guessing there. Maybe those guys dont end up as good as the franchise--but thats ok. Thats why we need full steam ahead on losing--I really dont want to be negative on the Knicks other than pointing out facts--like KP and Willy together dont look good defensively. Lee might be better suited to come off the bench next year. Stay objective so we are not fooling ourselves. But in terms of the L's a loss is a win--if we lose the last 12 games--mathematically we are GUARANTEED spot 4 with a supreme outside shot at 3(the Suns would have to go 6-6 and wed have to go 0-12. At spot #4 we have a lot of BALLS and we have position. There is better than 50% chance we can move up and the laws of averages might be on our side.

I'm still curious about Ntilikina but we have no way of knowing just how good he actually is. I think there are some pretty good players left after 6 but it just gets to the point where you really want to get a high impact player that moves the needle. Just gotta hope for another top 4-5 pick.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/21/2017  2:59 PM
franco12 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Exactly this ^^^.

He didn't say anything about spiting Dolan. Dolan had shown over the years he values starfukking over team building. Any GM wanting to rebuild would either have to appease Dolan with parallel development that includes star fukkung or they would get fired. Phil is juggling the need to rebuild with the need to appease and idiot owner and his idiot franchise star. It ain't easy, it LOOKS easy. After doing that for 2-3 years even Dolan maybe coming around to comprehending the obvious. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/21/2017  3:10 PM
very true, but at least this time there are no delusions of grandeur
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
USA
3/21/2017  3:24 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Briggs... I agree on those 5 guys. Knicks just need an easy pick. I suspect a least 1 big creeps up and deepens the top of that draft.
I really dont want to be negative on the Knicks other than pointing out facts--like KP and Willy together dont look good defensively
thats a lot different than saying they will NEVER be able to play together which you suggested in a thread you started.

Knicks just need to go through this. They need to let these guys take their lumps while they build up this talent base.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/21/2017  3:53 PM
fishmike wrote:
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

He picked up Rose, Noah & Lee & Jennings.

He basically had no choice but to fill the remaining spots with rookies because he had already maxed out his cap space.

Who are these great rookies Phil brought in to build the future with? Ron Baker? Kuz? Randle? Those three are borderline NBA players, and would be sitting on the bench on better teams.

I know I don't know what Phil was thinking. But I think it is reasonably to assume that as a GM, you don't hand out 4 year deals to Noah & Lee if you're thinking they'll be great for the kids. Sorry, Herb Williams is around.

You don't trade Lopez who has played every game for, in essence, two players that barely played 82 between them last year in Noah & Rose.

You don't bring in Rose, and then change your mind because, well, he doesn't fit the triangle. Phil is not paid $12M a year to rely on hindsight.

So while I don't know for sure what Phil was thinking, he sure acted and traded out like he thought things were going to be way better.

Because if you thought we were going to end up in the lottery, he could have saved $50M by not acquiring Rose, Lee & Noah and achieved the same results.

Look, his gamble was SO BAD, I have to question his judgement.

it really wasnt. Those are just your feelings. Lee is a good player. No GM gets it right every time. Jerry West screwed up drafts. Uriji gave Demar Carrol $15mm a year. You are expecting Phil to make every perfect move and it just doesnt work that way. What makes good GMs is they dont double down on mistakes they move past them. What makes good GMs is when they do fail or have a bad year they focus on adding and developing young talent.

You can cry about how Phil THOUGHT this would be a contender and how terrible his judgement is. We are also a few months from the draft and despite missing first rounders in 2 of the last 3 draft and despite Phil's all in and win now mode we continue to add young players.

And no... Phil did NOT "have" to add rookies. There are plenty of older veteran players that know the league and needed jobs. Phil chose prospects and guys they thought they could develop.

I thought we could be in the low 40s, RE wins this year.

For the most part, I think Lee, Rose, Jennings, and Noah were good pickups. The Noah issue is length of salary, and the fact that he was not physically ready, it would seem.

Lee is a solid player, who we've seen is inconsistent in his shooting at times, but Rose and Jennings were 1 year contracts, and for the most part, both played hard, even though they clearly had their weaknesses.

I actually think Noah will rebound...guy has a lot of pride, and I think he will work hard in the off season. If he is simply broken down physically, that is another issue- I assume we gave him a thorough physical, and that if there were major issues they would have not signed him.

Disappointing season, but I really though we could compete for the final playoff spot.

So it goes.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/21/2017  4:09 PM
franco12 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

He tried and failed, but it wasn't close. He badly misjudged talent and how it would fit together.

If Dolan could bring someone in that could say - like Briggs thread - we're 3-5 years away, lets plan for that and act accordingly- then he has to make that move.

I'm not sure Phil believes we're that far away.

Why else do you bring in a pair of FA that are on the wrong side of 30?

I agree. Also, Phil did bring in 10 vets and signed three guys over 30 this offseason. I also think you have to remember Kuz is going to be 28 at the start of next season. He was brought into fill DWill's spot. He isn't a traditional rookie. I like the young guys but I think Phil thought he had a top 11 that would compete. Filling out the back end of the roster with young guys isn't a bad move. But I also don't think it is a commitment to rebuilding. Four of the rooks weren't drafted. If two have nba careers over 3 years the Knicks have hit a home run.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Were headed to the lottery for 3-5 years

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy