[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Draft experts who is the best attacking guard in this draft to pair with KP/Willy?
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/21/2017  7:30 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:If the guy we pick cannot defend they make the lives of Willy and KP miserable.

If you want those two getting worn out trying to cover for a bad perimeter D, pick someone who can shoot but not play D.

I'll take Fox or the Frenchman at this point- guys who can direct an offense and play D, as well as play some offense.

Just saying...

Completely agree.
It's why I think I'm leaning towards Frank Ntilikina.
Great physical tools. Especially on defense. Fits in with the international theme of the team.

The more and more I watch this team, the more I think a young guard can help ignite this team. Fox is a top 5 prospect right now as well, so that would be a nice get.

I just think back to Phil's love for Giannis, and I feel this french kid could become a PG version of that. He's got freakish length, good atleticism, good passing instincts. But he will need time. He won't be the same impact player as many other picks. He will need the most time to get the upside. Many Knicks fans won't love him, for the lack of immediate results.

AUTOADVERT
rpknicks
Member: #6003

3/27/2017  12:33 AM
and this is why we have to get Fox. Forget his game for a second, we need this guy's heart.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
3/27/2017  6:00 AM
Before the tournament I liked Fox despite the naysayers warning label on his jumper. Yet suddenly with us being tied for the 4th worse record, Josh Jackson is in our sights as well. Me? I'll still take 🐺 Fox though either would welcome. Jayson Tatum is also a serious consideration
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2017  7:54 AM
Im still in the camp that thinks about Melo leaves/Trade, Resign Rose (price and commitment matters) and draft a wing.
Based on our position I think we take the best player available with franchise type talent at either the PG or Wing. If we are 4th/5th, then that guard might be picked already.

who is that player? I don' know, Maybe Josh Jax. Tatum? Fox?

If Melo is done in NY, do we hand the keys to Rose? Not a true pg, and not a great shooter. Make no bones about it, Phil if he drafts a wing the kid has to have a shot.

Shame of it all Melo has 90% of what knicks need.
Im not thinking Rose takes us to the promised land, but until we can draft or trade for a better solution, Im thinking pragmatically.
If I don't think his body will hold up, I don't resign him. If for him its about money, I don't resign him. If I can't get his head on right (we don't know really whats up there), I don't sign him. If I can't get him to commit to the system, I don't sign him.

And I get a team option on the last year. If he can get a better deal from Milwaukee, or thats where he wants to be, or Bulls trade Butler and bring him back, Im not going to cry.

Basically it appears that "Nalod is crazy to give him another chance after what he did to US"......Its just business and there are caveats that Im not sure can be met.

nyknickzingis

3/27/2017  8:11 AM
I'm excited that it looks like a top 6 pick is realistic, and with that in mind, a PG is very realistic.

Latest mock by NBAdraft.net

Jackson
Ball
Fultz
Fox
Tatum
Isaac
Ntilikina
Smith

5 point guards in the top 8, and a player like Jackson has good guard skills.

Looking at the highlights, defensively I think our best bets with a KP/Willy 4/5 unit would have a better defender like Fox or Ntilikina out there with them.

If we somehow tank to the 4th pick, we could draft Fox with the 4th pick, which would be a great get. Basically replace DRose with a player that makes $5M vs $21 M and that frees up $16M to sign defensive wing talent.

reub
Member: #6227

3/27/2017  11:32 AM
The Tankathon mock draft has Fox going at #10. They've had him low for a while now. Are they missing something?
reub
Member: #6227

3/27/2017  11:34 AM
They also have Frank Mason going at #48. I'd grab him before that.
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/27/2017  4:44 PM
crzymdups wrote:I
ekstarks94 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I think the really interesting question is if we are picking 4th or 5th and both Tatum and fox are available - who do you take?
I think right now Fox is way better than Monk

My preference would be Fox, but Tatum seems promising and I'd be curious.

Fox can't shoot

His form is decent and he's been making them in games. He definitely needs some work. His field goal percentage is higher than John Wall's was at UK

Wall couldn't shoot well when he was drafted. Seems he fixed that.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/27/2017  6:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  6:05 PM
rpknicks wrote:Good thread. I think first of all that boston is going to entertain offers for #1 but they will eventually take josh jackson not any of the PG's. that means someone is going to slide and it will probably be Ball to LA, Fultz to Phoenix and then either philly, orlando , sactown or us on the clock. This is where the tank comes in as we want to be here so we can choose between Fox , smith, the french cat and monk , not having to settle for what the other 4 teams want. I see monk right now as a ridiculous scorer who can't really fail in the nba unless his head is off like JR smith, whose game he reminds me of... so he might work as our pick and I am sure if he proves he can run a team in workouts, he will move up the draft board. He is the best shooter coming out in a long time...as a freshman he hung 47 on a strong north carolina team and he still has 2 weeks to show what he can do in the tournament Smith from Nc state is nice but something just seems missing, a lot of game but not the intangibles to lead. How can't he get his team into the ncaa for example? The french guy is going to be there for us no matter how much we tank and I have to think the knicks are going to scout him so heavily that they will be speaking french fluently pretty soon. Could he be another porzingis type player who looked a little funky on tape but just kills it in workouts? Questions about his toughness and aggressiveness have to be answered.

And that leaves D'aaron fox. I really don't want to support Kentucky INC , the nba factory, the let's not even pretend we are student athletes university...but my pick would be this man. There is just something about how he moves on the court that is rare. He runs like a soccer player, never tired and can accelerate past when he wants to. He is always moving forward and can get to any spot, great body control with a developing floater, and will be a menace on D. Heart looks there too as he seems to take over at the end of games. The knock is that he can't spray 3's yet but his shot doesn't look broke, like rondo, for example. He is lean but that kind of strong lean that will get scary when you put him in the weight room for two summers. You put him with KP, who draws people away from the hoop, that lane will be wide open and this guy doesn't need much room anyway.

Now you may say that is what we have in rose right now. But rose doesn't seem to look for people like fox does and he can't guard anybody so for every point he scores, he gives up a pair on the other end. The bigger question is who on the knicks can really run with fox? Not melo, who probably won't be here on July 1st. Lee, KP, Willy, sure, sort of, but we still need to find younger SF/SG 's who can keep up with a guy like fox. I don't know if we get them in the 2nd round of this draft , FA , or in a trade for melo but the only reason to draft a velociraptor like fox is to put him up with a herd of them who can run together.

For those of you old enough to know what I am talking about, Microsoft had this catch pear for their software: Nothing, runs like a Fox.

This post just reminded me of it

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

3/27/2017  6:42 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Lets just say I have a bias towards us getting an attacking ballhandling guard or a point guard in this draft. I see positives and negatives in all the scouting reports on Monk, Smith, Frank (international kid from France) and others.

Ball/Fultz are not happening unless we somehow move up and land within the top 2. So now, realistically after them, who is the best guard to pair with KP/Willy over the next 3 years.

No hate in this thread for KP/Willy. We assume KP/Willy are 2 core players and we are fully investing in them (Whether Willy comes off as a 3rd option 6th man off the bench, KP starts at 5 and moves to 4 sometimes, is to be determined).

My question is basically after Ball/Fultz, how do you all rank the guards?

I like Monk's outsude shooting and quick drives. He looks like an easy fit in the Tri and next to KP/Willy. But he's not a creator for teammates. Lots of downers on Monk, so maybe I should change my opinion of him.

The french kid Frank, he has real potential. But he can't shoot from outside which is a must. Mudiay was a player I had similar concern about, If you can't shoot from ourside (see Rose) it's a liability in today's NBA.

What are your rankings for guards after Ball/Fultz?

Didn't we have an attacking ball handler in Rose? Lol. You mean attacking but with a jump shot?

Biggest problem for me is that PG is the hardest position to draft as it is the toughest transition to make from college to pros. (See Mudiay and Russell) With that said, Monk seems like a smaller version of JR Smith. Gets streaky and can get off his shot. But why would Phil want someone like JR? Fox is a clever and crafty player but has no outside game. (Remember Grant). And think he is more of traditional PG. Something that will soon be extinct in the NBA. Most have us picking Smith, who I like, but I don't think he will flourish in the Triangle. He played a lot of PnR in college and was ball dominant. Things we don't do or like here. IMO. Smith then Monk then Fox.

Understand the need to take a chance on getting a PG but scared of the high probability they wont make the transition. Specially when they are only being judged on one year of college. Would rather go with the best athlete left on the board. Regardless of position. Like Jackson, Isaac and Tatum as a better pick. With a PG pick in second round.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nyknickzingis

3/27/2017  8:43 PM
Rose rarely passes and has tunnel vision on drives
Meant attacking guard that actually passes obviously
Draft experts who is the best attacking guard in this draft to pair with KP/Willy?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy