[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: Knicks host the 76ers
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/26/2017  3:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/26/2017  3:13 AM
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Lest we forget...Missed out on Steph Curry by one slot... got Jordan Hill.

You missed out on a few balls and got KP too..

Its not a few balls, we've moved from 5th spot in the draft odds to essentially 10th. Even an idiot can see what a disaster that is.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
2/26/2017  3:30 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
93BUICK wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
93BUICK wrote:I guess this is better according to you guys- maybe you're right- I still want the W can't help it
I am the same way. Once a game starts I can't root for a loss. I get it but I just can't get there during a game.

And when you get a cut or a scratch the blood is orange and blue, right? Me too-

Pretty much.

You guys don't seem to have the deep painful memories of just missing out on Steph Curry!!! Wins at this point are MEANINGLESS. It's different if this team was already in the Playoffs and we had a chance to do something in the Playoffs. This is all just messing with the TANK IMO. Can't get up for a close loss to the Sixers.

Yep- I was like them before the Curry draft and ridiculed and attacked people who were complaining about those late wins, using much the same arguments as they are now- how wrong I was- the pain has been seared into my memory every since

smackeddog
2/26/2017  3:33 AM
93BUICK wrote:
nixluva wrote:So close to a good Tank Loss!!! So Close. Now all of a sudden the Knicks get the fortunate Close win??? Please don't let this be the start of a bunch of close wins completely opposite of how they used to lose earlier in the season!!!

All the way to the 8th seed.

Then what? We make the 8th seed, and then what? how do we get better next season? Seriously, answer the question. No FA is coming, Melo will have deteriorated a further year and you're having to stump up if you want to sign the abomination that is Derrick Rose

smackeddog
2/26/2017  3:34 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Lest we forget...Missed out on Steph Curry by one slot... got Jordan Hill.

And don't forget that Tim Haradawy Jr's late heroics cost us the no.1 pick in the 2015 draft. I like KP, but we'd be in better shape with Towns

smackeddog
2/26/2017  3:36 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
93BUICK wrote:I guess this is better according to you guys- maybe you're right- I still want the W can't help it
I am the same way. Once a game starts I can't root for a loss. I get it but I just can't get there during a game.

Are you familiar with the Stanford Marshmallow test?

The Stanford marshmallow experiment[1] was a series of studies on delayed gratification in the late 1960s and early 1970s led by psychologist Walter Mischel, then a professor at Stanford University. In these studies, a child was offered a choice between one small reward provided immediately or two small rewards (i.e., a larger later reward) if they waited for a short period, approximately 15 minutes, during which the tester left the room and then returned. (The reward was sometimes a marshmallow, but often a cookie or a pretzel.) In follow-up studies, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for the preferred rewards tended to have better life outcomes, as measured by SAT scores,[2] educational attainment,[3] body mass index (BMI),[4] and other life measures.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

smackeddog
2/26/2017  3:53 AM
Ha, just seen this on realgm:

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/26/2017  8:04 AM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:BTW. Crickets from all the Melo haters. I know your watching too. Better defense without KP. OK4 looks like a real center. And he has not even played. Knick fans would be raising a statute after the game if he was on the squad. Who can we pick up in 2019 to replace Melo? Guy is not afraid of the moment.

WOW!!! You really are LOST! I can't even understand what's going on inside your head. Melo hasn't led to the kind of winning we wanted and is 33 in a few months and we have a chance to draft a Kid that can run with KP and Willy for many years after Melo is gone. Who cares if Melo is an Elite scorer, when it hasn't helped us win!!! What the hell are you rooting for?

Its cool that he is a bigtime melo fan BUT i dont understand why he is dissing KP. Its not about hating or loving certain players its about building a team for longterm success. I actually think Melo has been really good for the most part but at 33 his career is getting to the end and it might be best for both sides to go in newer directions

To me it's beyond logic to be so enamoured with Melo that you can't see the forest for the trees. Melo is OVER and KP and whoever we draft is the FUTURE. We can't invest anymore time in Melo and his needs. This was Melo's last chance to do something and it fell flat. I LOVE Melo's shot making but what has that gotten us??? We've gone as far as we can and there's no way we can put the Vet players around Melo that we need to win a title. So it's time to move on and start preparing for the Future. Winning meaningless games with Melo hitting the big shot does NOTHING for this team.

NOTHING!!!

Sorry Nix. Always taught by my dad (a long time coach) to play your best, try to do everything, you can, to win, and in the end accept how things work out. Plyed my all the way through college that way. So I'll continue to root for them to win and for Melo and all Knicks to do well. You can continue to root for losses and a better draft pick. Ignoring the fact unless it's. Lottery pick they usually are all hype.

As for my solution, said it several timea. Accept what we have in Melo. A very good player that can still be special and wants to be here and in case you forgot....has a NTC! Keep adding some young EXPERIENCED NBA players on the rise, get rid of Rose and Noah, hire a young GM that can rid us of the bad stereotype we have and yes, continue to get lucky in draft and abroad. With Gaines help.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

2/26/2017  8:08 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:BTW. Crickets from all the Melo haters. I know your watching too. Better defense without KP. OK4 looks like a real center. And he has not even played. Knick fans would be raising a statute after the game if he was on the squad. Who can we pick up in 2019 to replace Melo? Guy is not afraid of the moment.

WOW!!! You really are LOST! I can't even understand what's going on inside your head. Melo hasn't led to the kind of winning we wanted and is 33 in a few months and we have a chance to draft a Kid that can run with KP and Willy for many years after Melo is gone. Who cares if Melo is an Elite scorer, when it hasn't helped us win!!! What the hell are you rooting for?

Its cool that he is a bigtime melo fan BUT i dont understand why he is dissing KP. Its not about hating or loving certain players its about building a team for longterm success. I actually think Melo has been really good for the most part but at 33 his career is getting to the end and it might be best for both sides to go in newer directions

So saying we played better defense without KP is a dissing? Or fact for last night? I like KP and think he will continue to improve. But if you are denying that KP at 4 and Melo at 3 doesn't not make us a bad defensive team than you are mistaken.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/26/2017  9:03 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

So saying we played better defense without KP is a dissing? Or fact for last night? I like KP and think he will continue to improve. But if you are denying that KP at 4 and Melo at 3 doesn't not make us a bad defensive team than you are mistaken.

I mean... the Knicks give up an average of 109ppg and gave up 109pts to the Sixers. Who were playing a team of JV players. Literally Okafor and Covington and maybe Saric are the only guys who should be on an NBA roster. So that doesn't really read as better defense in any real way.

¿ △ ?
smackeddog
2/26/2017  10:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/26/2017  10:50 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

To me it's beyond logic to be so enamoured with Melo that you can't see the forest for the trees. Melo is OVER and KP and whoever we draft is the FUTURE. We can't invest anymore time in Melo and his needs. This was Melo's last chance to do something and it fell flat. I LOVE Melo's shot making but what has that gotten us??? We've gone as far as we can and there's no way we can put the Vet players around Melo that we need to win a title. So it's time to move on and start preparing for the Future. Winning meaningless games with Melo hitting the big shot does NOTHING for this team.

NOTHING!!!

Sorry Nix. Always taught by my dad (a long time coach) to play your best, try to do everything, you can, to win, and in the end accept how things work out. Plyed my all the way through college that way. So I'll continue to root for them to win and for Melo and all Knicks to do well. You can continue to root for losses and a better draft pick. Ignoring the fact unless it's. Lottery pick they usually are all hype.

As for my solution, said it several timea. Accept what we have in Melo. A very good player that can still be special and wants to be here and in case you forgot....has a NTC! Keep adding some young EXPERIENCED NBA players on the rise, get rid of Rose and Noah, hire a young GM that can rid us of the bad stereotype we have and yes, continue to get lucky in draft and abroad. With Gaines help.

YOU CANNOT ADD YOUNG EXPERIENCED PLAYERS THROUGH FREE AGENCY BECAUSE OF RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY- please tell me how you do it?!?!? They get a rookie contract, then they either get extended or they become a RESTRICTED free agent- if they're any good why wouldn't their team match any offer? Do you have even the remotest understanding of the CBA?!

So essentially your strategy is build around 33 year old, declining Melo, while hoping you draft a magic player at the 14th spot. Brilliant.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

2/26/2017  11:26 AM
smackeddog wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

NOTHING!!!

YOU CANNOT ADD YOUNG EXPERIENCED PLAYERS THROUGH FREE AGENCY BECAUSE OF RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY- please tell me how you do it?!?!? They get a rookie contract, then they either get extended or they become a RESTRICTED free agent- if they're any good why wouldn't their team match any offer? Do you have even the remotest understanding of the CBA?!

So essentially your strategy is build around 33 year old, declining Melo, while hoping you draft a magic player at the 14th spot. Brilliant.

Kyle O'quinn, Chandler Parsons, Cory Joseph, Mo Harkless, Harrsion Barnes, Bismack(char to Tor) Tobias Harris(trade) and I am sure there are others. (Harrison is not someone I would have gone after but I would've taken him over Lee and Noah. It will be harder now and it really depends on the FA class because everyone is different but I think Phil missed an opportunity when he first got here to capitalize on the young pieces teams gave up on. Now it will be virtually impossible but there maybe some small windows of opportunity.

If you can get them at a discount you might want to look into McLemore and Shabazz. McLemore is a huge project but will definitely be the cheaper option of the two but he is a decent 3pt shooter that shoots at a decent volume. Can they rebuild him to become an off the bench scorer in the mold of THjr. The goal would become better than THjr but you get the idea.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/26/2017  11:33 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

NOTHING!!!

Kyle O'quinn, Chandler Parsons, Cory Joseph, Mo Harkless, Harrsion Barnes, Bismack(char to Tor) Tobias Harris(trade) and I am sure there are others. (Harrison is not someone I would have gone after but I would've taken him over Lee and Noah. It will be harder now and it really depends on the FA class because everyone is different but I think Phil missed an opportunity when he first got here to capitalize on the young pieces teams gave up on. Now it will be virtually impossible but there maybe some small windows of opportunity.

If you can get them at a discount you might want to look into McLemore and Shabazz. McLemore is a huge project but will definitely be the cheaper option of the two but he is a decent 3pt shooter that shoots at a decent volume. Can they rebuild him to become an off the bench scorer in the mold of THjr. The goal would become better than THjr but you get the idea.

You can get non-stud young guys in FA, but it is really difficult even there. Shabazz is definitely someone I would look at.

¿ △ ?
smackeddog
2/26/2017  11:46 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

NOTHING!!!

Kyle O'quinn, Chandler Parsons, Cory Joseph, Mo Harkless, Harrsion Barnes, Bismack(char to Tor) Tobias Harris(trade)

KOQ is franchise changing talent? Your list proved my point- look at how much Harris and Bismark get and they are now both bench players for lottery teams. Harkless is also on a lottery team, and Chandler Parsons is horrific and on a horrific salary. So essentially you can land non-impact young experienced players if you max them out (and the reason their previous team didn't max them out is because they knew they weren't worth it or because they were declining due to injury).

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

2/26/2017  12:26 PM
smackeddog wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

NOTHING!!!

Kyle O'quinn, Chandler Parsons, Cory Joseph, Mo Harkless, Harrsion Barnes, Bismack(char to Tor) Tobias Harris(trade)

KOQ is franchise changing talent? Your list proved my point- look at how much Harris and Bismark get and they are now both bench players for lottery teams. Harkless is also on a lottery team, and Chandler Parsons is horrific and on a horrific salary. So essentially you can land non-impact young experienced players if you max them out (and the reason their previous team didn't max them out is because they knew they weren't worth it or because they were declining due to injury).

I did not see anything about franchise changing talent but to answer your question No he is not in the traditional sense but he could be on the right team. Good rotational players can make or break you and can separate the good to great teams. So yes he could be considered a franchise changing talent.

Harris is 24 years old and his Salary decrease over the next two years. He will make $14.8m. ON top of that he has improved his efficiency the last 4 years while becoming a better overall player.

Re Bismack: There is a reason I had (char to Tor). It's because he signed a modest contract after his rookie deal was up in Charlotte. His rebounding and finishing ability had really picked up his last two years in Charlotte and a team with decent cap space could have offered him a MLE type deal for 3-4 years.

Harkless maybe on a lottery team now but he is also young and improving. The guy is only 23 y/o. He is the type of guy you try to get with Clee money because of his defense and age. The real key would've have been trading for him when Orl was giving him away. You have to keep your eye out for young players that play close to 2000 minutes and show promise. Harkless showed promise his 1st tw years then was out the rotation in Orl. Orl is not a great franchise so you have to take advantage of teams like that.

Re Parsons:

Parsons has looked awful but he was still a young player when he left Houston and had two good years for Dallas even though he missed time.

you ask for young and experience and I gave you young players who played in all types of roles that had experience and left their situations. Tobias and Maurice are a stretch but Orlando was looking for a reason not to give him the money and as soon as Scott Skiles was the coach you should have known Tobias was going to be gone.

HofstraBBall

2/26/2017  2:02 PM
smackeddog wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

NOTHING!!!

Bull****. You can pick up UFA and second or third year players, who may be out of favor, via trade. San Antonio and other good franchises have been doing it for years. And to make it clear, I said a mixture of those things! Still have not heard anyone give an example of a franchise that just kept tanking and making picks and won a chip with home grown talent only? So I think you may be the one with no understanding of how things work.

GameThread: Knicks host the 76ers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy