[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks did 0
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

2/23/2017  8:16 PM
The way I see it..The risk of brining in Rubio without a pick was too great for Phil..Let's say he brings in Rubio and Rubio stinks which is entirely possible..You can't play PG in today's game without an outside shot..If Rubio bombs the last 25 games then Phil tenure would have been a disaster..Imagine a non performing Rubio and Noah on the 2017/18 roster, both can't hit an outside shot, Phil would get destroyed..
AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/23/2017  8:16 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Rose for rubio is such a lateral move that if there isn't any extra pieces involve that both teams can agree to give up, whats the sennse.

Both of them lack the full package, they just do a couple of things really well. At the end of the day your borrowing from peter to pay pual, and your still going to owe. The knicks will still need a penetrating guard who can shoot from the perimeter as well.

Minny can't bak on rose resigning with them, and the Knicks can't bank on RUBIO staying healthy. the risk was high and the rewards were low.
It also show that niether will be worth max money.

* Can we agree that Rose will not be back next season? So who's the free agent we're going to acquire next off season? If free agent PGs were available, do people really think NYC is still a free agent destination?

* Even if we draft a PG are we going to gamble on him being a starter from day one?

* What we have now is not working for whatever reason. Sometimes you need to make a change just for the sake of change. I'm not a fan of Rubio but at this point I'm ready to explore something different.

* There's risk making a move, there's risk standing pat. I'd rather take the risk in trying to make something happen.

Welpee

2/23/2017  8:19 PM
holfresh wrote:The way I see it..The risk of brining in Rubio without a pick was too great for Phil..Let's say he brings in Rubio and Rubio stinks which is entirely possible..You can't play PG in today's game without an outside shot..If Rubio bombs the last 25 games then Phil tenure would have been a disaster..Imagine a non performing Rubio and Noah on the 2017/18 roster, both can't hit an outside shot, Phil would get destroyed..
So who's playing the point next season? A rookie?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/23/2017  8:23 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:I think most fans are disappointed that we couldn't make a deal that brought in another pick. It was more than just dumping Rose for Rubio. Phil can't be Knicks killed if he wanted more than just Rubio!!! How is that a sign of being a bad GM if you refuse to get hosed in a deal??? Teams must believe the Media Tripe that Phil was an easy mark and would give away assets for nothing or take on salary without getting a pick.
I think the guys that go deep into deadline stuff know the league and how much leg work, scouting and communicating goes on at the deadline. Guys kill Phil for not being one of those guys that puts that work in and for being a difficult guy for other front offices to communicate with. And the guys that talk about it aren't ny beat writers. At least some of them are guys that have worked in nba front offices and have peers that talk to them about this stuff. Phil shouldn't be killed for not making the Rubio move but his approach is ridiculed by some for a reason.

Phil is most likely NOT making all the calls since he's not actually the GM but the Prez and it's Mills who is most likely doing all the things a GM does. Phil isn't here to do what the GM does and the Media is being disingenuous when they try to say he's not acting like a GM!

At least some of the guys that I am referring to are former front office guys that have joined the media. I am not talking about beat writers. It isn't a sound bite taken out of context it is just a general consensus that the guy doesn't put in the work that his peers do and that he is very hard to reach.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/23/2017  8:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:I think most fans are disappointed that we couldn't make a deal that brought in another pick. It was more than just dumping Rose for Rubio. Phil can't be Knicks killed if he wanted more than just Rubio!!! How is that a sign of being a bad GM if you refuse to get hosed in a deal??? Teams must believe the Media Tripe that Phil was an easy mark and would give away assets for nothing or take on salary without getting a pick.
I think the guys that go deep into deadline stuff know the league and how much leg work, scouting and communicating goes on at the deadline. Guys kill Phil for not being one of those guys that puts that work in and for being a difficult guy for other front offices to communicate with. And the guys that talk about it aren't ny beat writers. At least some of them are guys that have worked in nba front offices and have peers that talk to them about this stuff. Phil shouldn't be killed for not making the Rubio move but his approach is ridiculed by some for a reason.

Phil is most likely NOT making all the calls since he's not actually the GM but the Prez and it's Mills who is most likely doing all the things a GM does. Phil isn't here to do what the GM does and the Media is being disingenuous when they try to say he's not acting like a GM!

At least some of the guys that I am referring to are former front office guys that have joined the media. I am not talking about beat writers. It isn't a sound bite taken out of context it is just a general consensus that the guy doesn't put in the work that his peers do and that he is very hard to reach.

Yes but Phil is not the GM and really never said he was going to do the work of the GM. That's what My Mills does!

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/23/2017  8:34 PM
I wanted this deal because the goal should be to develop KP and Willy and the best way to do that is with a real pg. But ultimately, nothing matters long term until the draft. Anything before that is just trial and error type stuff in the short term.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/23/2017  8:45 PM
Welpee wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Rose for rubio is such a lateral move that if there isn't any extra pieces involve that both teams can agree to give up, whats the sennse.

Both of them lack the full package, they just do a couple of things really well. At the end of the day your borrowing from peter to pay pual, and your still going to owe. The knicks will still need a penetrating guard who can shoot from the perimeter as well.

Minny can't bak on rose resigning with them, and the Knicks can't bank on RUBIO staying healthy. the risk was high and the rewards were low.

* Can we agree that Rose will not be back next season? So who's the free agent we're going to acquire next off season? If free agent PGs were available, do people really think NYC is still a free agent destination?

* Even if we draft a PG are we going to gamble on him being a starter from day one?

* What we have now is not working for whatever reason. Sometimes you need to make a change just for the sake of change. I'm not a fan of Rubio but at this point I'm ready to explore something different.

* There's risk making a move, there's risk standing pat. I'd rather take the risk in trying to make something happen.

Look it at this way, the knicks have a philips head screw in rose, but the system is design for a flat head.

ES
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/23/2017  9:17 PM
holfresh wrote:The way I see it..The risk of brining in Rubio without a pick was too great for Phil..Let's say he brings in Rubio and Rubio stinks which is entirely possible..You can't play PG in today's game without an outside shot..If Rubio bombs the last 25 games then Phil tenure would have been a disaster..Imagine a non performing Rubio and Noah on the 2017/18 roster, both can't hit an outside shot, Phil would get destroyed..

That's real. Rubio is always hurt too... would suck to have 2 guys with a yeast infection taking up space on the cap. We just have to be patient with this.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/23/2017  9:30 PM
EnySpree wrote:

That's real. Rubio is always hurt too... would suck to have 2 guys with a yeast infection taking up space on the cap. We just have to be patient with this.

Yes the team is still on the same course it had been in terms of the Draft and Free Agency. Nothing bad has happened to the team's future prospects. First Do No Harm!!!

Welpee

2/23/2017  9:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Look it at this way, the knicks have a philips head screw in rose, but the system is design for a flat head.

Which is why I wanted to find another screw. Even if it's not a flat head, maybe a hex is more usable.
Welpee

2/23/2017  9:34 PM
Nobody is addressing who's playing the point next season?
holfresh
Member: #1081

2/23/2017  10:33 PM
Welpee wrote:Nobody is addressing who's playing the point next season?

Doesn't matter we won't be a playoff team..

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/24/2017  12:21 AM
Thought some of the "Tank" guys would be happy we did nothing.
Phil wanted picks, and there were few handed out.
If Phil takes Rubio, he takes cap space. if Rubio is not the guy, and we don't get a good pick back, then phil is in trouble.
Was phil out played? Im sure some of you want to think that. Connect the dots.
Clips didn't improve, celtics didn't land a star,......many teams stood down.
Same thing every year, get into a frenzy at the dead line and then get disappointed.
CrushAlot
USA
2/24/2017  1:20 AM
Nalod wrote:Thought some of the "Tank" guys would be happy we did nothing.
Phil wanted picks, and there were few handed out.
If Phil takes Rubio, he takes cap space. if Rubio is not the guy, and we don't get a good pick back, then phil is in trouble.
Was phil out played? Im sure some of you want to think that. Connect the dots.
Clips didn't improve, celtics didn't land a star,......many teams stood down.
Same thing every year, get into a frenzy at the dead line and then get disappointed.

It isn't just about the Rubio deal. I guess read the comments. Why trash your star on Twitter and in print if you are trying to move him? Phil is consistently brought up as a guy that can't be reached by other teams, doesn't put the work in, isn't anything close to a grinder etc. Phil is grouped with Vlade as a guy that doesn't take calls or put the work in. There is a reason for that. The guys that are saying this were front office guys and have friends and connections in nba front offices. It isn't a ny beat reporter pissed about the media policy. I am not sure why Phil takes the approach to his job that he does. That is a different conversation.
P
CrushAlot
USA
2/24/2017  1:57 AM
And now there is this:
Porzingis had a zinger.

After spraining his ankle in the Knicks’ 119-104 loss to the Cavaliers, the Latvian wonder took to Twitter (briefly) to address the situation.

But instead of expressing his disappointment regarding the injury in his own words, Porzingis tweeted a photo of a meme depicting two timelines.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

The photo showed two different timelines: “Your plan,” which depicted a straight road ahead, and “Reality,” which featured hills, a body of water, a bridge and more.

Kristaps Porzingis hurt as Knicks fall to Cavaliers, 119-104
However, he took the tweet down just minutes after posting it.

Kristaps Porzingis hurt his ankle in first half of the Knicks’ 119-104 loss to the Cavaliers.
Kristaps Porzingis hurt his ankle in first half of the Knicks’ 119-104 loss to the Cavaliers. (FRANK FRANKLIN II/AP)
While the photo deliberately said “Your plan,” it’s hard not to think about the lackluster state of the Knicks when the young star of the franchise tweets that out.

Regardless, the photo, which can double as a microcosm of Phil Jackson’s tenure as Knicks president, is not nearly as odd as the stuff on the Zen Master’s Twitter page.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/kristaps-porzingis-tweets-cryptic-meme-injuring-ankle-article-1.2980985
- New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony said he doesn't understand management's vision for the future following the club's inactivity at Thursday's trade deadline.

"No, not now. No, to be honest with you," Anthony said late Thursday night. "I think they were kind of planning on the trade deadline, whether they were trying to make moves. I think that was one plan. Now they've got to get back to the drawing board and come up with another plan about the future of this team."

EDITOR'S PICKS

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18754646/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-understand-team-direction-inactivity-trade-deadline

And before the deadline you had nonsense.

It probably is best that Phil didn't do anything based on his track record. But all this has happened over the last 4 months and it has been 5 months and a day since he has met the media. Hornacek and Melo seem to be in charge of damage control. So yeah, Clips didn't improve, and the Celts didn't improve but do Phil's Knicks have any place in the conversation with those organizations?
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/24/2017  4:19 AM
EnySpree wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Yeah that's a lie.... they wanted Rose. They wanted to dump Rubio contract... the Knicks have nothing to lose by standing pat.... Stein is a liar

Exactly, his story makes no sense- suddenly Thibs decided not to do the deal he wanted to do all along. Truth is no one else wanted Rubio and hasn't for the past few years TWolves have been trying to get rid of him. I would have liked him, but I'm not going to cry about it.

smackeddog
2/24/2017  4:22 AM
CrushAlot wrote:This is bad.

Ha so now:

Knicks pushed to hard for an extra asset and backed down at the last minute but Thibs suddenly didn't want to do a deal

and also

Knicks backed down at the last minute and Thibs wanted to do the deal but there wasn't enough time

and you think both are simultaneously true and are criticising him for both truths that can't actually be simultaneously possible?!

smackeddog
2/24/2017  4:25 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The reports I read state that Wolves (Per Marc Stein) didn't want to do Rose/Rubio in the end. People have to understand, Rose is not regarded as a good player in the league anymore. The best we could do is the team who had a coach he was a MVP for and probably his biggest fan in the league, who ran the basketball operations. He had interest, but not enough to give us Rubio. Stein has clearly stated that Wolves balked at Rubio for Rose.

Right now Rubio is a better asset than Rose.

For Rose, it should give him an indication what his market value is right now. I have my doubts right now that in free agency that Rose gets better than the Dwight Howard/Atlanta contract. 70$ million over 3 years gets you DRose. He may hate that, but there's no way I see any team pay him what he inititally thought his value was.

Phil could've gotten Rubio for Rose two days ago. Minnesota approached the Knicks.

Phil tried to get more, Wolves backed away. Phil got nothing.

Here are all the truths from the last few days that are all true at the same time:

Thibs approached Knicks and wanted an extra asset

Phil approached Thibs and wanted Rubio and an extra asset

Phil held out to long and by the time he changed his mind Thibs suddenly didn't want to deal

Phil held out too long and by the time he changed his mind Thibs wanted to do the deal but somehow there wasn't time (even though you can just request an extension)

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/24/2017  5:06 AM
EnySpree wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The reports I read state that Wolves (Per Marc Stein) didn't want to do Rose/Rubio in the end. People have to understand, Rose is not regarded as a good player in the league anymore. The best we could do is the team who had a coach he was a MVP for and probably his biggest fan in the league, who ran the basketball operations. He had interest, but not enough to give us Rubio. Stein has clearly stated that Wolves balked at Rubio for Rose.

Right now Rubio is a better asset than Rose.

For Rose, it should give him an indication what his market value is right now. I have my doubts right now that in free agency that Rose gets better than the Dwight Howard/Atlanta contract. 70$ million over 3 years gets you DRose. He may hate that, but there's no way I see any team pay him what he inititally thought his value was.

Phil could've gotten Rubio for Rose two days ago. Minnesota approached the Knicks.

Phil tried to get more, Wolves backed away. Phil got nothing.

This. Phil is in a race with Vlade for worst exec in the nba.

Says you guys. Anything to build on the narrative that Phil is an idiot.

Phil is no dummy. I'm sure if he put his heart into it things would be better. These trades take work and that's not what he' s interested in doing these days. It should have been a red flag that when considering coaching he was demanding to only do home games. Dude is just collecting a check.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
2/24/2017  5:34 AM
Berman, Isola etal all merciless on Phil. Sure, he's made his poor calls and Grant Lopez and Noah the worst obviously. But Porzingis and Willie are real. KOQ a good signing as was Jennings for the price. Rose worth the flier and unfortunately it doesn't work as we've now two ISO guys who stagnate. If we tank, pick up a prime time
Guard in the draft (love D Fox)you'll have 3 guys 23 and under Holiday, OQuinn, Kuz, ... Let Melo play with C Paul out West and secure some firsts for later years and get a third team involved. It's a total reshuffle and a rebuild and I'm okay with that but please stop beating Phil up because when he's done we will have a Bona fide stud guard,
Willie and KP to build on. And $ for free agency for a PG or SG or Sf as required. (And of course a $72 million back up center who can mentor the big guys)
Knicks did 0

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy