Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/23/2017  3:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  3:05 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I think Lee is a keeper unless someone really offers a wow deal. You want to keep some veteran players and have continuity. Lee is a good versatile player. Unless he wants out...

I'm all for nice veteran role players but not if if it means overpaying them. Plenty of all-stars are making what Lee does. It's nothing against Lee but I don't think he's a bargain on an 8 figure per year salary.

plenty? Any all star is going to be paid 2x what Lee makes in this market. Your not making sense

That's crazy. There are guys even on rookie contracts who are all-stars. I'm not spending 8 figures on a guy who's a nice role player. You shouldn't spend more than half that on a role player.
Sure, you'll pay a lot if you're talking about signing someone in free agency who is already an all-star. I don't expect us to pull that off. (And if we keep blowing 8 figure salaries on guys like Lee and Noah, it's going to be even harder to get all-stars.)
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/23/2017  3:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I think Lee is a keeper unless someone really offers a wow deal. You want to keep some veteran players and have continuity. Lee is a good versatile player. Unless he wants out...

I'm all for nice veteran role players but not if if it means overpaying them. Plenty of all-stars are making what Lee does. It's nothing against Lee but I don't think he's a bargain on an 8 figure per year salary.

plenty? Any all star is going to be paid 2x what Lee makes in this market. Your not making sense

That's crazy. There are guys even on rookie contracts who are all-stars. I'm not spending 8 figures on a guy who's a nice role player. You shouldn't spend more than half that on a role player.
Sure, you'll pay a lot if you're talking about signing someone in free agency who is already an all-star. I don't expect us to pull that off. (And if we keep blowing 8 figure salaries on guys like Lee and Noah, it's going to be even harder to get all-stars.)
like who? Name some guys. Not seeing it.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  3:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  3:36 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Which part of my reply are you asking about? KOQ, Kuz, Jennings are all OK role players half what Lee does if you were asking about that part.
fishmike
USA
2/23/2017  3:37 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Who? KOQ, Kuz, Jennings are all OK role players half what Lee does.
huh? Those guys are all stars? You said "Plenty of all-stars are making what Lee does" and I asked who. You answered with KOQ, Kuz and Jennings. Who are these all stars making what Lee makes?
Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  3:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  3:51 PM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

huh? Those guys are all stars? You said "Plenty of all-stars are making what Lee does" and I asked who. You answered with KOQ, Kuz and Jennings. Who are these all stars making what Lee makes?

I asked you which part of my reply you were asking about since your statement wasn't clear. I replied as if you were referring to the part where I said "you shouldn't spend more than half of that on a role player." So I was demonstrating you can get good role players for much less than Lee.

Anyway, two all-stars are making less than Lee:
Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

Then you have all-stars making the same or only a few mil more than Lee like
John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

That's already a third of the all-stars.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/23/2017  4:19 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

Problem is most of those contracts were signed before the explosion in salary cap. Can't use $12 M /year for Steph Curry as a benchmark.

holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

2/23/2017  4:51 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I asked you which part of my reply you were asking about since your statement wasn't clear. I replied as if you were referring to the part where I said "you shouldn't spend more than half of that on a role player." So I was demonstrating you can get good role players for much less than Lee.

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

All of these players except one was drafted by their current teams...Next contract, this summer, Curry and Cousins will be making 40 mil per year...Wall will get 40 mil per year when it's time..Draymond, Haywood and Klay in the mid 30s...
TPercy
Member: #5748

2/23/2017  5:08 PM
I honestly don't see what's wrong with keeping Lee. I'd bet my life that his contract going into next season will be a bargain.
The Future is Bright!
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/23/2017  5:13 PM
Lee's a solid contract. It's a 12.5M average. He's one of the better 3 point shooters in the league. He can score. Was an upgrade over Afflalo.

I just can't believe we upgraded from Calderon to Rose, from Afflalo to Lee, KP's a better shooter/scorer this year, our bench is better than last year's bench, and we still wound up just as bad. It's incredible. To me coaching is part of it, so is Melo's style of play not meshing at all with Rose's. Such a shame. We had far far more talent this year and should have been in the playoffs.

fishmike
USA
2/23/2017  5:14 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

No, its 2 guys, one on a rookie deal who's salary will be double Lee's and Isiah who was a great grab. The rest all make more money, and none were signed in the year Lee was where the cap dramatically exploded and those guys are STILL making more. Its the imaginary Bonn talent pool!
fishmike
USA
2/23/2017  5:14 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

All of these players except one was drafted by their current teams...Next contract, this summer, Curry and Cousins will be making 40 mil per year...Wall will get 40 mil per year when it's time..Draymond, Haywood and Klay in the mid 30s...
exactly... all this list says is no matter what, you keep your picks (or try to get more).
Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  6:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  6:47 PM
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

exactly... all this list says is no matter what, you keep your picks (or try to get more).

None of that means you pay Lee all-star dollars. There are fine role players making a quarter what he does. I don't know why you're mentioning free agency pools anyway. Free agency is just one of many ways to get players.
And, anyway, have we reached the point in the new cba yet when Melo's contract is a bargain? Wake me up when we do.
holfresh

2/23/2017  7:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  7:18 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

None of that means you pay Lee all-star dollars. There are fine role players making a quarter what he does. I don't know why you're mentioning free agency pools anyway. Free agency is just one of many ways to get players.
And, anyway, have we reached the point in the new cba yet when Melo's contract is a bargain? Wake me up when we do.

Chris Paul, Curry and Boogie will be making 40 mil per this summer..Harrison Barnes is making 24? Per..12 mil per signed from last year isn't all star dollars..You are comparing apples and oranges..Contracts from different CBA era deals..Recent contracts were signed at higher rates anticipating the new CBA..

Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  7:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  7:39 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

Chris Paul, Curry and Boogie will be making 40 mil per this summer..Harrison Barnes is making 24? Per..12 mil per signed from last year isn't all star dollars..You are comparing apples and oranges..Contracts from different CBA era deals..Recent contracts were signed at higher rates anticipating the new CBA..

No, I mentioned good role players signed in this CBA making far less than Lee.
In 2017, $12 mil per is at least close to all-star dollars, as this year is a mixture of players from current and past CBAs. We can't keep signing guys just out of the hope that in the back end of their contracts it will pay off. We should have learned that by now! If we can't get top FAs on reasonable contracts (and they have no reason to come here right now), then we need to build a better team first.
Imagine if we had just taken $120 mil in bad contracts off of teams hands instead of signing Noah and Lee. We probably could have gotten a lot of draft picks out of it. You are right that in the 2016 off-season, you couldn't sign a *current* all-star for $12 mil. You need to get players before they become all-stars. (Like how I kept saying we should trade for Harden before Houston did.) And you need to acquire draft picks so you can get guys on bargain contracts.
holfresh

2/23/2017  7:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  7:37 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

In 2017, $12 mil per is at least close to all-star dollars. We can't keep signing guys just out of the hope that in the back end of their contracts it will pay off. We should have learned that by now! If we can't get top FAs on reasonable contracts (and they have no reason to come here right now), then we need to build a better team first.
Imagine if we had just taken $120 mil in bad contracts off of teams hands instead of signing Noah and Lee. We probably could have gotten a lot of draft picks out of it.

Like who??..This is the new brave world JR is making 14/15?..Shump 10??..Good role players are making 17 per now...See Mozgov..THJr will prob get bet 14 and 17...Two kids, bench players in Portland, got 17..

Crabbe is making 19 and Turner is making 17...Welcome to the world where Melo is a bargain at 24 per..
Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  7:38 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

In 2017, $12 mil per is at least close to all-star dollars. We can't keep signing guys just out of the hope that in the back end of their contracts it will pay off. We should have learned that by now! If we can't get top FAs on reasonable contracts (and they have no reason to come here right now), then we need to build a better team first.
Imagine if we had just taken $120 mil in bad contracts off of teams hands instead of signing Noah and Lee. We probably could have gotten a lot of draft picks out of it.

Like who??..This is the new brave world JR is making 14/15?..Shump 10??..Good role players are making 17 per now...See Mozgov..THJr will prob get bet 14 and 17...Two kids, bench players in Portland, got 17..

Obviously you have to explore. Minn has been looking to get rid of Rubio for a long time. I added a little more to the other message after you replied but you're acting like someone held a gun to our head requiring us to give out an 8 figure contract. I'm not giving anyone who isn't very good an 8 figure salary. Not when guys like Kuz make $3 mil. I don't care if some moron GM gives a bench player $20 mil. That's their problem.
holfresh

2/23/2017  7:38 PM
Let's say Phil gets his way and was able to trade Melo and Rose...No all star will come here for less than 35/40 mil per...
Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  7:41 PM
holfresh wrote:Let's say Phil gets his way and was able to trade Melo and Rose...No all star will come here for less than 35/40 mil per...

You're stuck on the mindset that the only way to get an all-star is to sign him in free agency when he already is playing at all-star level. That's the worst way because you're buying high. You're much better off with draft picks, trades, and signing players before they become all-stars.

holfresh

2/23/2017  7:42 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

Obviously you have to explore. Minn has been looking to get rid of Rubio for a long time. I added a little more to the other message after you replied but you're acting like someone held a gun to our head requiring us to give out an 8 figure contract. I'm not giving anyone who isn't very good an 8 figure salary. Not when guys like Kuz make $3 mil. I don't care if some moron GM gives a bench player $20 mil. That's their problem.

I'll read the above of what you wrote...Kuz is Novak 2.0 with a little more speed..He is 28..These are just warm bodies and not who you want to win with...

Bonn1997
USA
2/23/2017  7:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Giannis
Isaiah Thomas

John Wall
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Draymond Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Gordon Hayward

That's the one correct thing you've said. That's why I was saying I'd rather get picks in exchange for absorbing $120 mil in bad contracts than give out $120 mil to Noah and Lee. (That's one approach at least. It's still a gamble and signing guys like Kuz and KOQ is safer.)
Lee to Clippers being discussed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy