[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Time to start Willy Hernangomez
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/22/2017  5:30 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:His last two games - when he's on the floor this is a different team on offense AND defense.

17pts and 11rebs (+9 in plus/minus) in Boston in one of our best all around performances of the year.

6pts and 8rebs (+13) and changed the game tonight - gave the Knicks a lead.

Start Willy.

I'm sorry, I love Noah... but he's atrocious right now. He is the complete wrong fit at center for this team. He needs to sit for the good of the team.

DRose
CLee
Melo
KP
Willy

why

That's all you got from what he wrote?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

1/22/2017  5:30 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I don't know if he is a starter yet but to me Willy is like a Kanter/M. Gasol hybrid. He just needs to keep working on his defense and his passing while adding a consistent jumper and he'll get there. One summer at a time and he will probably get there but for right now I think he should be used like Kanter.
If he turns out to be that it would be awesome and a tremendous steal for a second round pick.

It might be expecting to much but I think he is on a quicker path to becoming a top big than Basil because he got his weight issues in control at a much younger age than Gasol and he came over(nba) 3 years earlier so he will have more time to learn how to play NBA defense before he hits his prime. Hopefully this team gets a great defensive coach and let Rambis go.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/22/2017  8:07 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:His last two games - when he's on the floor this is a different team on offense AND defense.

17pts and 11rebs (+9 in plus/minus) in Boston in one of our best all around performances of the year.

Start Willy.

I'm sorry, I love Noah... but he's atrocious right now. He is the complete wrong fit at center for this team. He needs to sit for the good of the team.

DRose
CLee
Melo
KP
Willy

why

For the competitor he is and always will be, and for the player he was.

But he shouldn't be playing, as the words around your highlighting explain.

¿ △ ?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/22/2017  9:43 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Start Willy.

DRose
CLee
Melo
KP
Willy

why

For the competitor he is and always will be, and for the player he was.

But he shouldn't be playing, as the words around your highlighting explain.

if Noah was making #10m or on a 2yr contract I think people would look at him much differently. I think if the knicks had better defenders he would look a little better but he has definitely lost a lot of his defensive ability.

crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  9:07 PM
Still time to start Willy.

He's totally changed this game for the Knicks.

¿ △ ?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/23/2017  9:09 PM
crzymdups wrote:Still time to start Willy.

He's changing the game because of the unit he is playing with. His minutes should increase but KP at the 5 and Melo at the 4 should be the first change.

Knixkik
USA
1/23/2017  9:15 PM
I will say something tho. If willy continues this, it may force phil to really push melo for a trade with the idea of willy giving you some of that offense and starting with KP and getting younger and quicker at the 3.
crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  9:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:

He's changing the game because of the unit he is playing with. His minutes should increase but KP at the 5 and Melo at the 4 should be the first change.

The biggest thing that needs to change is Noah being benched. However they accomplish that works for me! But Willy needs to play more and Melo needs to play more 4 for sure. I'm not sure if I believe KP is best at the 4 or 5 yet. I'd really like to see KP and Willy together at least a little. I feel like they've rarely been on the floor together.

¿ △ ?
Knixkik
USA
1/23/2017  9:18 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

The biggest thing that needs to change is Noah being benched. However they accomplish that works for me! But Willy needs to play more and Melo needs to play more 4 for sure. I'm not sure if I believe KP is best at the 4 or 5 yet. I'd really like to see KP and Willy together at least a little. I feel like they've rarely been on the floor together.

Yeah KP and Willy never play together. While KP is best as a center, he and Willy can work together as a positionless big man combo in a sense. Both are versatile enough.

crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  9:39 PM
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Yeah KP and Willy never play together. While KP is best as a center, he and Willy can work together as a positionless big man combo in a sense. Both are versatile enough.

Agree. One thing about Willy - he doesn't give up easy stuff inside. He also doesn't seem to turn the ball over.

¿ △ ?
Knixkik
USA
1/23/2017  9:47 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Agree. One thing about Willy - he doesn't give up easy stuff inside. He also doesn't seem to turn the ball over.

At least we might be looking at our starting front court of the future. I can see willy being a 16 point 8 rebound a game player in 2 years with improving defense.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/23/2017  9:52 PM
Melo at the 4 works for Melo.... not the Knicks. Melo isn't banging in the post. He's shooting isolation jumpers. He's still a 3. KP is not an enforcer. Yeah we want to take advantage on offense but we don't want to kill our players on defense. That's why we have role players.

The Knicks best 5 is KP, Melo, Willy, Rose and Holiday....Jennings, Lee, Noah, Kuz and KOQ off the bench

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/23/2017  10:49 PM
Love Willy Hernangomez.
Just 22 and a rookie and having important parts of winning games

He should be with KP in the rising stars game during all star break.

Knicks have murdered that 2015 draft. KP and Willy. 21 and 22.

Need more time for Kuz as well. No more Noah but we all know it won't ever happen.

crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  10:50 PM
#FreeWilly
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  10:51 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Love Willy Hernangomez.
Just 22 and a rookie and having important parts of winning games

He should be with KP in the rising stars game during all star break.

Knicks have murdered that 2015 draft. KP and Willy. 21 and 22.

Need more time for Kuz as well. No more Noah but we all know it won't ever happen.

Yeah that draft may go down as very important. Hopefully we can look back in a few years and say "man the 2015 and 2017 drafts really changed the destiny of this team!"

¿ △ ?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

1/23/2017  10:55 PM
He double doubles in 18 minutes or less. Don't think you see that from too many rookies. He moves without the ball, sets screens finishes at the basket and draws McHale and Dream comparisons. Dude needs to start.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
USA
1/23/2017  10:57 PM
Play him 24 mpg the rest of the year then move him into the lineup next year.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/23/2017  11:01 PM
I get why Willy didnt get some burn at times early on. He wasnt afraid of contact, but he was still getting bullied in the paint at times from some of the better front lines out there. Hernangomez is learning fast, looks a lot more comfortable out there.
crzymdups
USA
1/23/2017  11:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  11:06 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I get why Willy didnt get some burn at times early on. He wasnt afraid of contact, but he was still getting bullied in the paint at times from some of the better front lines out there. Hernangomez is learning fast, looks a lot more comfortable out there.

He does. Their first game against the Pacers I remember Al Jefferson scored like six straight buckets on him because he was such a liability. He's much more comfortable now and better able to position himself.

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/23/2017  11:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  11:34 PM
We need to treat Willy same way we did KP last year. Once we knew KP was legit, we started him and gave him 25 minutes a night. Let him grow even with mistakes. Same thing we are doing now, only at 32 minutes a night and more shots.

Willy has gotten unfair treatment but it's also that so many players can play that 5 spot right now. We really need to makea trade to balance out roles. I'd move Jennings, O'Quinn and Lance Thomas for another 2 guard, a veteran guard with some experience but not a veteran like Jennings who still plays like a rookie. Someone a little more dependable. If we can do that, then we open up playing time for Willy, while still not completely trashing Noah's confidence.

There's little reason for us to play any other way than with Melo at the 4. KP should start at 5, and come back in as a 4 when Melo sits. Longterm this is part of the reason why I think a Melo trade makes so much sense for this team, as there aren't enough minutes at 5/4 for KP, Melo, Willy, Noah and others like O'Quinn or Plumlee. Even Kuz, is more effective at 4 than 3. We need a very athletic Jae Crowder type of 3. I don't think a Willy, KP, Melo front court is fast enough or athletic enough to play at a high level on both sides of the ball.

Time to start Willy Hernangomez

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy