[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

3/16/2017  2:12 PM
Just a concern...any PG or SF we pick HAS to be able to play D, and a PG, or course, has be able to distribute.

Is it possible that Monk is another Rose? He is popular around here, but is a combo guard with no wingspan

Weaknesses: Certainly best as a scoring guard, though at around 6’3 with a 6’6 wingspan, definitely would be considered undersized and could struggle defending bigger guards … While some have referred to him as a combo guard, he is not particularly comfortable setting up the offense and does not really show the vision of a primary handler … Can be a bit loose with his handle and decision making, not entirely comfortable beyond a few dribbles creating for himself … Low FT rate, while he scores from all three levels does not get to the basket often enough and can be thrown off by contact … Has struggled defending at the point of attack and on-ball, one might not be sure how versatile he is as a defender … Low steal and block rates, as well as surprisingly low rebound rate given his explosive athleticism … Has not shown much ability in the pick-and-roll, once again leading to questions about his translating to a lead guard … Seems to be heavily reliant on his shooting at this point, which leads to questions about what he brings to the table if his shot is not falling … Has not been asked to do much off of the cut, which one might think he would be more involved in given his athletic gifts … Very little of his scoring has happened close to the basket off of the dribble, has needed someone to create those opportunities for him ... As great as he has proven to be as a shooter in his freshman year, he was just an average shooter throughout his high school career, adding some skepticism about his incredible shooting accuracy at Kentucky ...

Despite the fact that his shooting is not as good as Monk's, of the 2 KU kids, I would look at Fox if both are available, because of his ability to defend and a more natural tendency to be a distributor.

Would also like to see more on Frank Ntilikina, who I have mentioned before. Right now NBADraft.net has us taking him. His shooting seems to have improved, but he does need more beef on him. My natural tendency is to go for foreign talent, because I believe they understand team ball better than many of U.S. players of the same age.

DraftExpress has us taking Lauri Markkanen, who is an interesting player, but would seem redundant for us now, unless he has the ability to be a 3 down the road, which does not seem possible from what I've read.

We should get a good player whenever we draft, but I see defensive ability as a priority, especially if we draft a PG, SG, or SF.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/16/2017  3:45 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just a concern...any PG or SF we pick HAS to be able to play D, and a PG, or course, has be able to distribute.

Is it possible that Monk is another Rose? He is popular around here, but is a combo guard with no wingspan

Weaknesses: Certainly best as a scoring guard, though at around 6’3 with a 6’6 wingspan, definitely would be considered undersized and could struggle defending bigger guards … While some have referred to him as a combo guard, he is not particularly comfortable setting up the offense and does not really show the vision of a primary handler … Can be a bit loose with his handle and decision making, not entirely comfortable beyond a few dribbles creating for himself … Low FT rate, while he scores from all three levels does not get to the basket often enough and can be thrown off by contact … Has struggled defending at the point of attack and on-ball, one might not be sure how versatile he is as a defender … Low steal and block rates, as well as surprisingly low rebound rate given his explosive athleticism … Has not shown much ability in the pick-and-roll, once again leading to questions about his translating to a lead guard … Seems to be heavily reliant on his shooting at this point, which leads to questions about what he brings to the table if his shot is not falling … Has not been asked to do much off of the cut, which one might think he would be more involved in given his athletic gifts … Very little of his scoring has happened close to the basket off of the dribble, has needed someone to create those opportunities for him ... As great as he has proven to be as a shooter in his freshman year, he was just an average shooter throughout his high school career, adding some skepticism about his incredible shooting accuracy at Kentucky ...

Despite the fact that his shooting is not as good as Monk's, of the 2 KU kids, I would look at Fox if both are available, because of his ability to defend and a more natural tendency to be a distributor.

Would also like to see more on Frank Ntilikina, who I have mentioned before. Right now NBADraft.net has us taking him. His shooting seems to have improved, but he does need more beef on him. My natural tendency is to go for foreign talent, because I believe they understand team ball better than many of U.S. players of the same age.

DraftExpress has us taking Lauri Markkanen, who is an interesting player, but would seem redundant for us now, unless he has the ability to be a 3 down the road, which does not seem possible from what I've read.

We should get a good player whenever we draft, but I see defensive ability as a priority, especially if we draft a PG, SG, or SF.

Monk will be better than Rose. Monk can really shoot it. Even if he doesn't become a great defender, he can be similar to McCollum or Beal, neither of which are good defenders, but can light it up. I would be more concerned with D Smith becoming like Rose. As for Ntilikina, i tend to think he is still the likely choice. He is a great defender, can play 2 positions, and has clearly become a good outside shooter. You don't shoot 40% from 3pt if you aren't above average in that area. He is also the closest thing to a triangle guard as you will ever find. If he were playing the NCAA, he would be in the mix with the rest of the top 5-6 most likely. Then again, he will still be 18 by the time of the draft. If he were in the US, he might still be a high school senior. So his upside is clearly there, it might just take him a little longer, but he has transferable skills on both sides of the ball.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/16/2017  3:46 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just a concern...any PG or SF we pick HAS to be able to play D, and a PG, or course, has be able to distribute.

I look at big body athletes as a priority. That would eliminate many of these guys. I dont want an undersized or skinny player--only Fox as a potential exception. The foreign PG looks like project--no way can we do that and hes the skinniest guy in the draft! We have to defend big players and you cant do that with 170 pound guys.

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
USA
3/16/2017  3:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/16/2017  3:52 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

I look at big body athletes as a priority. That would eliminate many of these guys. I dont want an undersized or skinny player--only Fox as a potential exception. The foreign PG looks like project--no way can we do that and hes the skinniest guy in the draft! We have to defend big players and you cant do that with 170 pound guys.

Briggs he's only 18 years old. And he has a near 7'0 wingspan. It will take time to fill out. Length is probably more important than big body. There aren't a lot of muscular guards in the league. Skinny guys translate just fine.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/16/2017  4:05 PM
Plus why are we worried about an 18 yr old being skinny? This isn't about instant satisfaction. This is all about long term benefits. If our scouts feel he's the best player then they should take him. That's what they did with KP! He was too skinny too.
BRIGGS
3/16/2017  4:07 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Briggs he's only 18 years old. And he has a near 7'0 wingspan. It will take time to fill out. Length is probably more important than big body. There aren't a lot of muscular guards in the league. Skinny guys translate just fine.

My list of guys is pretty small excluding the top 5 which Ive already named

top of the 7 and below to 1`4 Miles Bridges and John Collins below 14 Semi Ojeyele(depending if we get bridges or not) Dillon Brooks Josh Hart and Zeek Woodley for our late 2. Each one of these guys are big athletic player who can play both ends. No one on my list weighs less than 215. Look at the Cavs--BIG athletic players all over the roster. were not competing with that team with 170 pound players

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
USA
3/16/2017  4:18 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

top of the 7 and below to 1`4 Miles Bridges and John Collins below 14 Semi Ojeyele(depending if we get bridges or not) Dillon Brooks Josh Hart and Zeek Woodley for our late 2. Each one of these guys are big athletic player who can play both ends. No one on my list weighs less than 215. Look at the Cavs--BIG athletic players all over the roster. were not competing with that team with 170 pound players

Come on man that's probably just a temporary issue when dealing with young players. Plus the first pick isn't all there is. This team will be adding more young talent. One guard with a slender build won't wreck the entire makeup of the roster.

Knixkik
USA
3/16/2017  4:51 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

How about golden state? Does Curry even weigh more than 170 now??? Look at Durant. Livingston? Klay? Cleveland has LeBron. You can't use their roster as a way to determine how to build a team. LeBron is the reason they are a contender, not how they are built.

reub
Member: #6227

3/16/2017  5:21 PM
Monk can be a dynamic force offensively for us (and right away). His shooting is spectacular, unlike Rose. This is so vital in today's game to spread the floor. Can he play enough defense for us to be a PG on our team though? If he can play defense he could be our best choice at PG.
Knixkik
USA
3/16/2017  5:56 PM
reub wrote:Monk can be a dynamic force offensively for us (and right away). His shooting is spectacular, unlike Rose. This is so vital in today's game to spread the floor. Can he play enough defense for us to be a PG on our team though? If he can play defense he could be our best choice at PG.

Agreed. Shooting is a transferable skill. Very rarely do guys come to the league and suddenly forget how to shoot. I look for transferable skills. What is a guy really good at?

Ball: Great passer, playmaker
Fultz: Great scorer
Monk: Great shooter, scorer
Ntilikina: Great defender
Fox: Great playmaker, defender
Smith: ??? maybe great athlete? Not sure.
Tatum: ??? not sold on him either

I want guys who are great at at least one thing that translates to the NBA right away. It keeps their bust potential low.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/16/2017  6:40 PM
reub wrote:Monk can be a dynamic force offensively for us (and right away). His shooting is spectacular, unlike Rose. This is so vital in today's game to spread the floor. Can he play enough defense for us to be a PG on our team though? If he can play defense he could be our best choice at PG.

Rose does not shoot from deep but he's been pretty darn good from everywhere else.

Why take a guy who's a tweener, might not be able to be a PG, and is not known as a perimeter defender?

One thing in his favor is that Phil has never been a big PG guy, but he is going to want a perimeter defender, at the very least IMO.

No D, no draftee, IMO.

I tend to believe Jackson will go for the Frenchman, while Hornachek will like Fox, but we will see.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knixkik
USA
3/16/2017  6:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/16/2017  6:49 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Rose does not shoot from deep but he's been pretty darn good from everywhere else.

Why take a guy who's a tweener, might not be able to be a PG, and is not known as a perimeter defender?

One thing in his favor is that Phil has never been a big PG guy, but he is going to want a perimeter defender, at the very least IMO.

No D, no draftee, IMO.

I tend to believe Jackson will go for the Frenchman, while Hornachek will like Fox, but we will see.

I think Ntilikina is the most likely pick as well. It just makes too much sense.

reub
Member: #6227

3/16/2017  11:17 PM
I think that Frank is meant to be a Knick, and a good one. But with the way we've been playing we just might have a chance at Ball or Fultz too.
nixluva
USA
3/17/2017  12:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2017  12:24 AM
reub wrote:I think that Frank is meant to be a Knick, and a good one. But with the way we've been playing we just might have a chance at Ball or Fultz too.

Ntilikina is just like KP was last year. The measurables are great but he's really young, skinny and untested like the rest of the NCAA kids. This is where our scouts really have to come through again. There is such a need for a SPECIAL player in the backcourt for this team. Ntilikina, Fox and Monk are right in range where we might end up.

BRIGGS
3/17/2017  2:57 AM
nixluva wrote:
reub wrote:I think that Frank is meant to be a Knick, and a good one. But with the way we've been playing we just might have a chance at Ball or Fultz too.

Ntilikina is just like KP was last year. The measurables are great but he's really young, skinny and untested like the rest of the NCAA kids. This is where our scouts really have to come through again. There is such a need for a SPECIAL player in the backcourt for this team. Ntilikina, Fox and Monk are right in range where we might end up.

Kp is 7-3 and played in a high major league. No way would I spend such a high pick on such a risk. Take a John Collins or a Miles Bridges if we are below 7--be smart and safe. Look at my list of players by the way-- all have excellent advanced stats-- I'm not even that big on Bridges if it were up to me we'd pick john collins without hesitation after pick 7 . Bridges would be my back up pick. John collins is a MF stud under rated player who could be an nba star. Kp is te start ing C we need. Pf collins is perfect and SAFE

RIP Crushalot😞
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

3/17/2017  3:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2017  3:40 AM
I saw Monks measurements as 6 3 or 6 4 height and only a 6 4 wingspan, so defensively he will find it hard vs bigger SGs. But Joe Dumars was also undersized, and MJ called him the toughest defender he'd faced.

And if the knicks think of monk as the primary PG, they will be disappointed. But he'd be a good fit next to another big ball-handling guard plus a ball-handling small forward in a triangle offense.

smackeddog
Member: #883
3/17/2017  4:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2017  5:21 AM
Updated tank standings:

3) Suns 22-46
magic, nets, blazers, mavs, kings

4) Magic 24-45
Suns, Sixers, Nets x 2

5) Sixers 24-43
Mavs, Magic, nets x2, Knicks

6) Knicks 27-42
Blazers, Sixers

7) Kings 27-41
Pelicans, Twolves, Mavs, Lakers, suns

8) Pelicans 27-41
Twolves, Mavs, Kings, lakers, Blazers

9) Twolves 28-39
Pelicans, Lakers x3, Kings, Blazers x 2

10) Mavs 29-38
Sixers, nets, Pelicans, Nets, kings

11) Blazers 30-37
Knicks, Twolves x3, Lakers, Suns x2, pelicans

Magic and sixers play each other, so one will have to go up to 25 wins. Also they both play the nets twice. So there's a chance we pull even with one of them. We have the better chance with the sixers because we also play them- so rout for sixers to win vs the magic

JamaicanJetFan
Member: #2297
USA
3/17/2017  10:14 AM
I'm all-in on getting a PG this draft (most likely Fox or the Frenchman)...but did anyone else watch Jonathan Isaac last night? Nice jump shot, extremely athletic, very nice passing (5 assists) from a 6'10" guy. Wreaked havoc defensively with an array of steals, blocks, and altered shots. He has a little Kawhi feel to him.
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

3/17/2017  10:42 AM
JamaicanJetFan wrote:I'm all-in on getting a PG this draft (most likely Fox or the Frenchman)...but did anyone else watch Jonathan Isaac last night? Nice jump shot, extremely athletic, very nice passing (5 assists) from a 6'10" guy. Wreaked havoc defensively with an array of steals, blocks, and altered shots. He has a little Kawhi feel to him.

wa gwan!

yeah J. Isaacs is nice. reminds me of b. ingram. def a lottery pick. but we need a PG. i can settle for fox or ntikilina but i hope we get dennis smith

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/17/2017  10:42 AM
No love for Isaac?

17 points , 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals.

Hmm...

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy