[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/16/2017  3:31 AM
Great- pelicans won, twolves won and we've moved up to 8! We're only one win ahead of the 6th spot
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/16/2017  12:11 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:1 interesting fact about De'Aaron Fox is he is a better free throw shooter than both Ball and Fultz and he gets to the free throw line a ton. Fox is known as a non-shooter, while Ball and Fultz both shoot well from the outside, but free throw shooting is a huge indicator of future improvements in overall shooting, which bodes well for Fox. Fox is highest on my list of realistic targets (outside projected top 5) because his speed, playmaking, and defense are 3 elite skills that we know will translate to the NBA right away. I would rather than a prospect who is elite in some areas and has a couple weaknesses, than someone who is solid in all areas, because sometimes those players who are good in many areas but great in none tend to not translate as well to the NBA.

Why do you say that?
It certainly doenst hurt--but for example Derrick Rose is an excellent free throw and mid arange shooter but does not have range on his longer J. Right now if you watch Kentucky hes not even close on a lot of shots--I think he can improve but its going to take multi years. The problem with the NBA is you can take away some speed by playing off a guy and letting him take the longer shot. Ricky Rubio is a good example. Id rather have a guy who I feel can hit that 3 pointer--in fact I almost demand it--its the way of this league.

It's a fact that NBA scouts judge a prospect's shooting potential on free throws. It's not an exact science, but it's an indicator. As opposed to someone like Rondo, who's FT% indicated when he was younger that developing into a good shooter was never going to happen. Fox being a good FT shooter indicates the potential is there. No guarantee of course. I agree that shooting is essential, but it's easy to forget how good a player is when focusing on 1 area. Shooting is the reason Fox probably won't be a top 3-5 pick. But he carries elite attributes with speed, playmaking, defense, and ability to get to the basket that will make him a good NBA player and give him a high floor.

He has a lot of nice attributes and he reminds me a lot of Ricky Rubio. But Ricky has struggled with that shot and it does effect the team he p[lays on.

Yeah, Rubio is probably his floor, which is still a very good player. Rubio is a poor finisher though, and Fox is a very good finisher. I also think Fox's shot looks more fixable. Rubio has a flat, slow release that doesn't give him much hope. Not the case with Fox, but it will be a concern with him for sure.

The NBA becomes a tough place when you are scared to shoot it.

Agreed. It is definitely a concern, no question. I am also trying to keep an open mind about Ntilikina, who might have highest upside and is already a pretty good outside shooter. Seems to have no real weaknesses in his game, but it's so hard to judge a player like him playing against different competition. It's the same reason i never even thought about KP prior to the 2015 draft. I really wish Ntilikina was in the college game. Then again, in the US he might still be a HS senior. He is so young, won't be 19 until after the draft. But everything i have read about him is his upside it major.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/16/2017  3:39 PM
crzymdups wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:My lottery as of now

#1 Lonzo Ball PG UCLA

#2 Josh Jackson Sf Kansas

#3 Markelle Fultz PG UCLA

#4 John Collins PF/C Wake Forest

#5 DEnnis Smith PG NCST

#6 Malik Monk G Kentucky

#7 Justin Patton C Creighton

#8 Daron Fox PG Kentucky

#9 Ky Bowman PG Boston College

#10 Jason Tatum F Duke

#11 Lauri Markkanen F 7-0 230

#12 Jonathon Issac F F State

#13 Miles Bridges F Michigan State

#14 Caleb SWanigan PF Purdue

the more I see of Josh Jackson, the more I am highly impressed. I feel he would be a great fit next to KP and Willy going forward. His passing is incredible.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Josh-Jackson---Point-Forward-5740/

Have to say, I've seen Lonzo Ball a few times now and other than the range on his shot, I haven't been impressed by him. I feel he's a little overrated.

If we stay in 6-10 range, I think Fox should be the target. But I'd love to get up to the top 5 ranger and have a crack at Josh Jackson or Markelle Fultz - those are the two can't miss stars of this draft IMHO.

I like Fox and Monk a lot though.

I'm curious about Frank Ntilikina - from what I've seen of him, he looks very promising, too.

Briggs didn't have J-Jackson in the Top 10 a few short days ago and I'd bet Tatum was farther down prior to last night --- changes with the wind.

smackeddog
2/16/2017  3:45 PM
I think the sun's would definitely draft Josh Jackson, probably the pelicans too, sixers would go for a PG, as would the Lakers, Mavs. Magic, I have no idea
Knixkik
USA
2/17/2017  11:17 AM
smackeddog wrote:I think the sun's would definitely draft Josh Jackson, probably the pelicans too, sixers would go for a PG, as would the Lakers, Mavs. Magic, I have no idea

Even if Suns are #1 or #2, they should still go with Jackson. Neither Ball or Fultz are guaranteed upgrades over Bledsoe and i have read that they might eventually want to move Booker to PG anyways. Jackson is a legit 2-way player who fits in perfectly at the 3 spot where they seem to have decent young talent everywhere else. He is a great mix with Booker. If he turns out anywhere close to a Paul George type, there's no way they can pass him up. Sixers best fit is either Fultz or Monk in my opinion. Simmons is essentially their PG, so someone like Ball would be wasted there. Best case scenario there is both Fultz and Monk, if they get the Lakers pick, but as long as they end up with one of them they are good. They could use Isaac or Tatum at the 3 as well, with Simmons at 4 and Embiid at 5. I bet Magic and Mavs both go the PG route. If we can get in front of Dallas, that will be big, because they will be focused on the backcourt i think. There are 6 elite backcourt options, so we need to grab one of them. Monk might not be the best fit, but he might be too good to pass up if available, because we know he will be a very good NBA scorer very quickly.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/18/2017  11:00 PM
#1 Lonzo Ball PG UCLA

#4 John Collins PF WF

#5 Jason Tatum SF Duke

#6 Dennis Smith PG NCST

#7 Caleb Swanigan PF Purdue

#8 Ky Bowman PG Boston College

#9 Malik Monk G Kentucky

#10 Dearon Fox PG Kentucky

#13 Justin Patton C 7-0 230

#14 Dillon Brooks SG Oregon

RIP Crushalot😞
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

2/19/2017  10:26 AM
BRIGGS wrote:#1 Lonzo Ball PG UCLA

#4 John Collins PF WF

#5 Jason Tatum SF Duke

#6 Dennis Smith PG NCST

#9 Malik Monk G Kentucky

It is a bit of a stretch to have Swaningan, Bowman, and Brooks in the lottery don't you think?
I doubt Collin's goes that high or that teams would pick him over Markanen
-There is no chance Jonathan Issac goes below top ten. 6-10 freakish athlete who can handle the ball, defend multiple positions, and score when called upon. Imagine him in a small ball line up with KP.

Your top 3 is on point though I don't understand how so many people have Markelle going first when Ball and Jackson are better prospects imo.

The Future is Bright!
BRIGGS
2/19/2017  10:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2017  11:02 AM
TPercy wrote:

#4 John Collins PF WF

#5 Jason Tatum SF Duke

#6 Dennis Smith PG NCST

#9 Malik Monk G Kentucky

It is a bit of a stretch to have Swaningan, Bowman, and Brooks in the lottery don't you think?
-There is no chance Jonathan Issac goes below top ten. 6-10 freakish athlete who can handle the ball, defend multiple positions, and score when called upon. Imagine him in a small ball line up with KP.

Your top 3 is on point though I don't understand how so many people have Markelle going first when Ball and Jackson are better prospects imo.

Ive had Collins at 4 for 2 weeks now. I think hes played his way into the top 10 and #1 big. Hes got a nice mid range shot hes bouncy so he can help both ends he rebounds hes a good finisher. My bet is people wouldve put Paul Millsap high into the lottery if they had a redo. Thats what you are getting with Swanigan--vastly under rated. Issac--I have top 11 I think its fair he probably goes higher but his production is below the other big--its all supply demand. I dropped Monk and Fox below Bowman as I believe Bowman is simply more well rounded and efficient. Fox is quick as a snake for 6-3 but he has severe shooting problems--hes better than E Payton but just how much can you do if you cant shoot--you have to red flag him a bit like Justice Winslow 2 years ago. I entered Brooks last and no way he goes that high but right now hes the best shooting guard in the draft. He is hitting 3s from NBA depth and does it with ease. You could find a guy like Hart Kennard or Jok who could easily end up being better among other names but I like something about Brooks--hes a winner. I like Bowman Swanigan and Brooks and if I could turn my high draft pick if its not top 3 into those 3--Im good.

RIP Crushalot😞
TPercy

2/19/2017  11:20 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:

#4 John Collins PF WF

#5 Jason Tatum SF Duke

#6 Dennis Smith PG NCST

#9 Malik Monk G Kentucky

Ive had Collins at 4 for 2 weeks now. I think hes played his way into the top 10 and #1 big. Hes got a nice mid range shot hes bouncy so he can help both ends he rebounds hes a good finisher. My bet is people wouldve put Paul Millsap high into the lottery if they had a redo. Thats what you are getting with Swanigan--vastly under rated. Issac--I have top 11 I think its fair he probably goes higher but his production is below the other big--its all supply demand. I dropped Monk and Fox below Bowman as I believe Bowman is simply more well rounded and efficient. Fox is quick as a snake for 6-3 but he has severe shooting problems--hes better than E Payton but just how much can you do if you cant shoot--you have to red flag him a bit like Justice Winslow 2 years ago. I entered Brooks last and no way he goes that high but right now hes the best shooting guard in the draft. He is hitting 3s from NBA depth and does it with ease. You could find a guy like Hart or Jok who could easily end up being better among other names but I like something about Brooks--hes a winner. I like Bowman Swanigan and Brooks and if I could turn my high draft pick if its not top 3 into those 3--Im good.

I agree with your points on Collins, but to what extent does he do all those things to warrant a place over Markkenan who rebound and finish at almost the same level and has infinite range, great passing ability, and a little bit of a handle? Is he even better than Pattton? He is a lottery player for sure but not that high to be a top 5 pick.

I've changed my mind about Swaningan. He is underrated and has made tremendous improvement in game from freshman year. Losing more than 30 pounds for the next season is fantastic and says a lot about his motivation, but him going top ten is still a bit of a reach for me, especially over Monk and Fox.

How wouldn't Isaac's production be low when his team uses him 21% of the time. He is the fourth option of the team given FSU's plethora of scorers. Even at that, his lack of production dosen't negate his unique and tremendous potential in the NBA

The Future is Bright!
BRIGGS
2/19/2017  1:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2017  1:22 PM
TPercy wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TPercy wrote:

#4 John Collins PF WF

#5 Jason Tatum SF Duke

#6 Dennis Smith PG NCST

#9 Malik Monk G Kentucky

Ive had Collins at 4 for 2 weeks now. I think hes played his way into the top 10 and #1 big. Hes got a nice mid range shot hes bouncy so he can help both ends he rebounds hes a good finisher. My bet is people wouldve put Paul Millsap high into the lottery if they had a redo. Thats what you are getting with Swanigan--vastly under rated. Issac--I have top 11 I think its fair he probably goes higher but his production is below the other big--its all supply demand. I dropped Monk and Fox below Bowman as I believe Bowman is simply more well rounded and efficient. Fox is quick as a snake for 6-3 but he has severe shooting problems--hes better than E Payton but just how much can you do if you cant shoot--you have to red flag him a bit like Justice Winslow 2 years ago. I entered Brooks last and no way he goes that high but right now hes the best shooting guard in the draft. He is hitting 3s from NBA depth and does it with ease. You could find a guy like Hart or Jok who could easily end up being better among other names but I like something about Brooks--hes a winner. I like Bowman Swanigan and Brooks and if I could turn my high draft pick if its not top 3 into those 3--Im good.

I agree with your points on Collins, but to what extent does he do all those things to warrant a place over Markkenan who rebound and finish at almost the same level and has infinite range, great passing ability, and a little bit of a handle? Is he even better than Pattton? He is a lottery player for sure but not that high to be a top 5 pick.

I've changed my mind about Swaningan. He is underrated and has made tremendous improvement in game from freshman year. Losing more than 30 pounds for the next season is fantastic and says a lot about his motivation, but him going top ten is still a bit of a reach for me, especially over Monk and Fox.

How wouldn't Isaac's production be low when his team uses him 21% of the time. He is the fourth option of the team given FSU's plethora of scorers. Even at that, his lack of production dosen't negate his unique and tremendous potential in the NBA

My personal strategy here is to pick up players not based on what we have but rather to conform to a new model of players who have more physical bodies who have multi court skills(no Joakim Noah types) with 3 point ability. What I want out of the PG position is speed smarts shooting and efficiency. I also want character and attitude.

PG--KY Bowman--hes under rated right now but he looks like a more physical Tony Parker with a great 3 point shot.

SG Dillon Brooks--Love his attitude--his size 6-6 225 his toughness his range hes a big winner and he wont command a high pick

PF Caleb Swanigan--again value pick -he wont command a high pick but he reminds me a lot of Paul Millsap and would give us a trio of young bigs that would stabilize this franchise for 10 years

F Semi Ojeleye Nigel Hayes TJ Williams Zeek Woodley undrafted etc.. Bigger more physical athletes with multi skills

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened
Member: #4234

2/19/2017  4:15 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
My personal strategy here is to pick up players not based on what we have but rather to conform to a new model of players who have more physical bodies who have multi court skills(no Joakim Noah types) with 3 point ability. What I want out of the PG position is speed smarts shooting and efficiency. I also want character and attitude.

PG--KY Bowman--hes under rated right now but he looks like a more physical Tony Parker with a great 3 point shot.

SG Dillon Brooks--Love his attitude--his size 6-6 225 his toughness his range hes a big winner and he wont command a high pick

PF Caleb Swanigan--again value pick -he wont command a high pick but he reminds me a lot of Paul Millsap and would give us a trio of young bigs that would stabilize this franchise for 10 years

F Semi Ojeleye Nigel Hayes TJ Williams Zeek Woodley undrafted etc.. Bigger more physical athletes with multi skills

i AGREE BRIGGS. thats why you tank for dennis smith.

the players that you mentioned are all potential late 1st/2nd picks. the knicks are a bad team, at best they are a mediocre team. so that means they could expect a top 5 to top 14 pick. if i was running the team, id rest KP and his sore achilles. trade off what ever pieces you can and get as high a pick as possible. hopefully that means dennis smith but id settle for frank ntilikna or deaaron fox

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
BRIGGS
2/21/2017  8:16 AM
Ky Bowman was excellent again last night. If his teammates could shoot he would've been close to. A triple double. ky Bowman is the savviest pick in the draft.
RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

2/21/2017  11:44 AM
Ky Bowman played great last night. i'm sure he will be able to find some way onto an NBA roster.

my only point (no pun intended) is that the knicks have the chance to get a HIGH lottery pick - if they tank properly. they should use it onone of those CANT MISS ELITE Prospects

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
BRIGGS
2/22/2017  1:11 AM
callmened wrote:Ky Bowman played great last night. i'm sure he will be able to find some way onto an NBA roster.

my only point (no pun intended) is that the knicks have the chance to get a HIGH lottery pick - if they tank properly. they should use it onone of those CANT MISS ELITE Prospects

I cant see why someone would take Dearon Fox over Bowman. Fox will get exposed in the NBA with his shot. Hell be shooting B Jennings stats quickly. I just want good players who can SHOOT. SHOOTING is the name of the game in the NBA. You need players who can shoot it. Thats elite in the nBA.

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened

2/22/2017  2:20 AM
well i definitely agree with that shooting is so important. but with fox he can do everything else...he can defend, pass and even rebound.

im not even the biggest fox fan - but that seems like a more realistic pick for the knicks

TPercy

2/22/2017  9:14 PM
Tatum impressed big time tonight.
The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
USA
2/23/2017  8:51 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
callmened wrote:Ky Bowman played great last night. i'm sure he will be able to find some way onto an NBA roster.

I cant see why someone would take Dearon Fox over Bowman. Fox will get exposed in the NBA with his shot. Hell be shooting B Jennings stats quickly. I just want good players who can SHOOT. SHOOTING is the name of the game in the NBA. You need players who can shoot it. Thats elite in the nBA.

While I agree about shooting in general, there's a couple things to consider about fox. For one, he's the best free throw shooter among the 4 elite pg's. That means something. He is also an elite finisher. Lastly, since he has the ball in his hands always, a lot of his threes are forced with the shot clock low, and since he doesn't shoot them often, it kills his percent. I think people seriously underrate his potential because they look at his 3pt percent. But we aren't talking about another rondo shooting. He's a good free throw shooter so shooting potential is there. And he's elite in so many other areas. Not just good.

callmened

2/23/2017  9:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/23/2017  9:54 PM
i like this kid - bruce brown (6-5 190 PG) better - as a sleeper pick

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/23/2017  10:42 PM
callmened wrote:i like this kid - bruce brown (6-5 190 PG) better - as a sleeper pick

NICE looking player! Just underscores how much talent is in this draft.

smackeddog
2/24/2017  12:26 PM
A deciding stretch coming up for us:

Sixers
Raptors
Magic
Sixers
Warriors
Magic
Bucks
Pistons
Nets
Pacers
Nets

We are 2 wins ahead of the Sixers, and 1 win ahead of the Mavs- we have to lose these games, it will get us up to 6th place. Also ahead of us are the Mavs (hopefully they win some games now they have Noel), and the Twolves. I think the best we can end the season on is 4th, and there is a big difference in odds between 4th and 5th. There's no way we catch up with the Nets, Suns or Lakers though.

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy