[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Carmelo Prostesting Phil's Nonsense talk
Author Thread
meloanyk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5615

12/8/2016  3:44 PM
Been a Melo fan/supporter. He has been a lead player and good teammate despite his hog tendencies. He is not changing his stripes much as long he has game because being a lead is the role he knows since childhood. Melo comes off as thin skinned but it's somewhat understandable as they play right into prevailing public critique. He's not a kid anymore but a star who choose and stuck with NY unlike other stars and now your GM public comments somewhat lend credence to the boos. If the team was not a cohesive group or not playing well then he may have requested a trade and I wouldn't blame him. Melo's game is imperfect but as the saying goes, you don't fully appreciate what you have until its gone.
AUTOADVERT
Knicks67
Member: #6370

12/8/2016  4:20 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Agree with what Phil said, but his timing was atrocious. These mind games Phil is playing aren't doing anyone any good.

You have to wonder what the end game is? Do these types of comments help motivate Melo or the team? No. Do these comments bring players and mgmt on the same page? Unlikely.

This looks like its headed for a "its him or me" situation if Phil keeps trying to push Melo's buttons. Maybe thats what Phil wants. A chance to either unload Melo, or to piss off Dolan enough to get fired so he can go back to LA with his loot and to Jeannie. At this point it wouldn't bother me.

I agree there. I had thought as well this may be a ploy to perhaps push Melo away from New York, or to get himself out of town.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/8/2016  6:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Phil pushes everyone in various ways. Pushing books on people, dropping subliminal gems... he's underestimating the power of the Internet and thus troll ass media.

I have no problem with Phil. Every man has to have control of their own square. If you have problems with what a man is saying, especially an elder....there are ways to handle it. Phil is 70 years old. I'm walking into his office and preparing to get some gems dropped on me.

Phil wants to drop some wisdom on Melo, he can pick up a phone, walk up to him in practice, or call him into his office. Why does the only option seem to be public embarrassment? Phil said in an interview that its not his style, but Melo likes to keep the lines of communication open with him, have lunches, talk. There was no need for this. Its counter-productive unless Phil has another end game.

This. Not sure why Phil has unload on someone every time he gives an interview.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
holfresh
Member: #1081

12/8/2016  7:23 PM
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

12/8/2016  8:11 PM
holfresh wrote:

Caseloads
Member: #41
12/9/2016  5:05 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/12/08/carmelo-phil-dynamic-takes-another-tense-turn/
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/9/2016  8:07 AM
holfresh wrote:

Actually thats some Zen shyt Melo is dishing back to Phil!
Funny, is Melo's Ego also at play here? I mean, is Phil really being critical to the extent its offensive?

1. melo getting max money.
2. Melo is the bonafide star, and nobody questioning his talent.
3. Phil says he is working towards making it a success.
4. Nothing Phil says is false.
5. Is this really a big deal?

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/9/2016  8:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2016  8:20 AM
Nalod wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Actually thats some Zen shyt Melo is dishing back to Phil!
Funny, is Melo's Ego also at play here? I mean, is Phil really being critical to the extent its offensive?

1. melo getting max money.
2. Melo is the bonafide star, and nobody questioning his talent.
3. Phil says he is working towards making it a success.
4. Nothing Phil says is false.
5. Is this really a big deal?

Obviously it goes both ways.
But Phil ego means nothing for the game or for his future.
He is old accomplished man.
For Melo dropping the E means the last and main step to greatness.
Chance to join the greatest of the grates of the Game.
I think it worth it.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/9/2016  9:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2016  9:02 AM
The Knicks were down 20 at some point in the game and Melo was laughing with Lebron about something.

I like Melo but he simply isn't leadership material. He's a great one on one scorer and Phil is absolutely right, Melo is best for this team when he is decisive and quick to make his moves instead of holding onto the ball for too long.

NY media is full of horse crap. They pile on Phil any time they can they love Melo. Yet not a word when Phil makes decisions that go well like hiring Hornachek, drafting KP, Hernangomez, making the Rose and Holiday for Grant and Lopez trade. They are like vultures just waiting for something to write stir the pot stories about. I don't care Knicks are 6th 12-10 and playing decent basketball while still having considerable room to grow this year. Phil has done a really good job.

We are both competitive now while also building a future with KP. New York media have no clue what it takes to win a championship. Jackson does. What he said about Melo was spot on. He knows the game and when Melo moves the ball or takes his shots quicker our flow and offense is much better.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/9/2016  10:30 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:The Knicks were down 20 at some point in the game and Melo was laughing with Lebron about something.

I like Melo but he simply isn't leadership material. He's a great one on one scorer and Phil is absolutely right, Melo is best for this team when he is decisive and quick to make his moves instead of holding onto the ball for too long.

NY media is full of horse crap. They pile on Phil any time they can they love Melo. Yet not a word when Phil makes decisions that go well like hiring Hornachek, drafting KP, Hernangomez, making the Rose and Holiday for Grant and Lopez trade. They are like vultures just waiting for something to write stir the pot stories about. I don't care Knicks are 6th 12-10 and playing decent basketball while still having considerable room to grow this year. Phil has done a really good job.

We are both competitive now while also building a future with KP. New York media have no clue what it takes to win a championship. Jackson does. What he said about Melo was spot on. He knows the game and when Melo moves the ball or takes his shots quicker our flow and offense is much better.

For a guy that knows basketball so much, you would wonder why Phil would try to turn a post up player to a catch and shoot only player? Yes, Melo holds the ball in the post. Have you seen any post players that dont. BK, Ewing, for Knick reference. You have to evaluate the defense before making a move. Plus on instant double teams, he has done a good job kicking out. Think the point is, Phil has never liked Melo as his main guy. Which is fine. But as GM, you keep your mouth shut and feelings asside in public eyes. You do so so not to hurt a team. Specially one that is winning and starting to gel. Van Gundy made a great point the other day. Why do you call out the guy that lead the team in assists last year and why dont you ever call out KP who has half the amount of assists this year? Why dont you call out the center he paid dearly for and who has done nothing? Why dont you call out the entire defense for multiple lapses in losses?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2016  10:52 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The Knicks were down 20 at some point in the game and Melo was laughing with Lebron about something.

For a guy that knows basketball so much, you would wonder why Phil would try to turn a post up player to a catch and shoot only player? Yes, Melo holds the ball in the post. Have you seen any post players that dont. BK, Ewing, for Knick reference. You have to evaluate the defense before making a move. Plus on instant double teams, he has done a good job kicking out. Think the point is, Phil has never liked Melo as his main guy. Which is fine. But as GM, you keep your mouth shut and feelings asside in public eyes. You do so so not to hurt a team. Specially one that is winning and starting to gel. Van Gundy made a great point the other day. Why do you call out the guy that lead the team in assists last year and why dont you ever call out KP who has half the amount of assists this year? Why dont you call out the center he paid dearly for and who has done nothing? Why dont you call out the entire defense for multiple lapses in losses?

Is he? or is it more of a quicker decision Melo, OlympicMelo and DadMelo.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/9/2016  11:10 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Olympic Melo was a machine!!!! Phil speaks about wanting him to be Olympic Melo. There is a time for Iso, the is a time to pass, and a time to every purpose.....under heaven.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

12/9/2016  11:41 AM
Why are they still talking about the triangle?
holfresh

12/9/2016  11:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2016  11:45 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

You gotta remember it's Phil who is speaking and his ideas are more generalized philosophies than reality based specifics..For example, Phil said the same thing while ISO Kobe and MJ were taking 25/28 shots per game in the playoffs..And they needed to take those shots to win those ball games..Chicago wasn't a great offensive juggernaut, they were a great defensive team with ISO MJ getting any shot he wanted in crunch time..I remember Phil saying any player taking more than 20 shots per game isn't basketball...If that's the case he never coached basketball, I mean let's be real..

What we know is that if you surround Melo with decent offensive options and defense he gets you 50 wins and the playoffs..The starting talent on this team can get you 50 wins in the East and a shot at the second round...I'm not convinced the bench is ready to play playoff style basketball against Cleveland and Toronto..But the starters can compete running the offense through Melo and not thru Jennings type offense, which is what we saw against Cleveland..Successful teams run their offense thru their best players...

Not to say that ball movement isn't good because Melo does ball hog more than he should...But as the team's best player, you have to allow him to get in rhythm and play his game..MJ and Kobe got that latitude regardless of what Phil is saying...
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/9/2016  2:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2016  2:06 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

"2 Seconds or less" That is not who Melo is or any other post up player. And Olympic Melo is not a good example, as we do not have the roster an Olympic team has. And Dad Melo he was, until we put reliable point guards on the roster to help with assists. Remember, this is the same guy that critisized the Warriors for not playing basketball, "The right way" And one that seems pretty defensive to any criticsm of the Triangle or his abilitiies as a GM. I have no problems with Melo posting up down low, overseeing the defense and doing what he has done as an All Star since he got in the league. Which is take advantage of one on one defensive player that can not stop him. Does he take bad shots, absolutely. Does everyone? Absolutely. Seems like there is a double standard. Went to several games and people cheer a 7'3 guy shooting a three from 4 feet behind the line and bricking. They cheer when on PnR KP pops out to three point line instead of to the hoop for a dunk. Point is, that is KP's game, right now. Dont see anyone trying to out him in the media. Specially not uncle Phil. And again, why would a GM call out one player or, for that matter, any of his players in the media. Not a fan of that tactic.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Dagger
Member: #4184

12/9/2016  2:30 PM
Well I'd say most people think it's that he should make a decision within about 4 seconds, 2 seconds obviously isn't enough time and there are examples of times in the post where it makes sense to hold the ball longer. Phil didn't say anything offensive about melo, I don't think melo should have responded on Twitter. As far as comparing the assist totals between Melo and Porzingis, Melo is called out because when you are supposed to be the "best" player all eyes are on you. KP is not a playmaker at this point and the team usually wants him to look for his shot when he gets the ball. It's also not really fair to compare their assist numbers because of differing usage rates and the fact that one plays a SF role and the other plays a PF/Center role. I don't see people comparing KP and Melo's blocks, for example.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2016  3:02 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

"2 Seconds or less" That is not who Melo is or any other post up player. And Olympic Melo is not a good example, as we do not have the roster an Olympic team has. And Dad Melo he was, until we put reliable point guards on the roster to help with assists. Remember, this is the same guy that critisized the Warriors for not playing basketball, "The right way" And one that seems pretty defensive to any criticsm of the Triangle or his abilitiies as a GM. I have no problems with Melo posting up down low, overseeing the defense and doing what he has done as an All Star since he got in the league. Which is take advantage of one on one defensive player that can not stop him. Does he take bad shots, absolutely. Does everyone? Absolutely. Seems like there is a double standard. Went to several games and people cheer a 7'3 guy shooting a three from 4 feet behind the line and bricking. They cheer when on PnR KP pops out to three point line instead of to the hoop for a dunk. Point is, that is KP's game, right now. Dont see anyone trying to out him in the media. Specially not uncle Phil. And again, why would a GM call out one player or, for that matter, any of his players in the media. Not a fan of that tactic.

did he? Have you watched the interview?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
holfresh

12/9/2016  3:26 PM
via Bleacher reports:

-'At the end of the day we're playing good basketball...that's the only thing that matters at this point. So any negativity that's coming towards me or towards the team, I don't think we need it at this point.'

-Carmelo comments on the timing of Phil's negativity

holfresh

12/9/2016  3:31 PM
via Bleacher reports:

-"My conversations with management is limited at this point," Anthony said. "I've decided to focus on what I focus on and let them focus on what they focus."

holfresh

12/9/2016  3:36 PM
NY Daily News:
-"I didn't talk to him so I don't know where he was coming from with those comments," Anthony said. "If he wants to talk about it, cool. If he don't, cool. In my eyes it's over."
Carmelo Prostesting Phil's Nonsense talk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy