Member: #41
12/7/2016  10:02 PM
Carmelo won't shoot the ball in Protest of Phil Trashing him in the Media
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/8/2016  2:49 AM
Kobe did the same thing (think it was in the playoffs too). What Phil said is true, and hopefully once he's got over the initial annoyance, he'll take the message on board
Dagger
Member: #4184

12/8/2016  5:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/8/2016  5:46 AM
Melo played very poorly and it had nothing to do with him protesting anything, but a lot to do with the cavs defense and his own decision-making.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/8/2016  8:01 AM
Agree with what Phil said, but his timing was atrocious. These mind games Phil is playing aren't doing anyone any good.

You have to wonder what the end game is? Do these types of comments help motivate Melo or the team? No. Do these comments bring players and mgmt on the same page? Unlikely.

This looks like its headed for a "its him or me" situation if Phil keeps trying to push Melo's buttons. Maybe thats what Phil wants. A chance to either unload Melo, or to piss off Dolan enough to get fired so he can go back to LA with his loot and to Jeannie. At this point it wouldn't bother me.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/8/2016  8:21 AM
Phil pushes everyone in various ways. Pushing books on people, dropping subliminal gems... he's underestimating the power of the Internet and thus troll ass media.

I have no problem with Phil. Every man has to have control of their own square. If you have problems with what a man is saying, especially an elder....there are ways to handle it. Phil is 70 years old. I'm walking into his office and preparing to get some gems dropped on me.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler

12/8/2016  8:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/8/2016  8:39 AM
EnySpree wrote:Phil pushes everyone in various ways. Pushing books on people, dropping subliminal gems... he's underestimating the power of the Internet and thus troll ass media.

I have no problem with Phil. Every man has to have control of their own square. If you have problems with what a man is saying, especially an elder....there are ways to handle it. Phil is 70 years old. I'm walking into his office and preparing to get some gems dropped on me.

Phil wants to drop some wisdom on Melo, he can pick up a phone, walk up to him in practice, or call him into his office. Why does the only option seem to be public embarrassment? Phil said in an interview that its not his style, but Melo likes to keep the lines of communication open with him, have lunches, talk. There was no need for this. Its counter-productive unless Phil has another end game.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/8/2016  8:54 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Phil pushes everyone in various ways. Pushing books on people, dropping subliminal gems... he's underestimating the power of the Internet and thus troll ass media.

Phil wants to drop some wisdom on Melo, he can pick up a phone, walk up to him in practice, or call him into his office. Why does the only option seem to be public embarrassment? Phil said in an interview that its not his style, but Melo likes to keep the lines of communication open with him, have lunches, talk. There was no need for this. Its counter-productive unless Phil has another end game.

Are you sure phil hasn't done those things?

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/8/2016  8:59 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I think the media is the last resort to reach Melo. Everything else probably falls on deaf ears.

KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
12/8/2016  9:09 AM
The media just want to sell. Who know what is real and what is not? Phil can say whatever. Media can paint it in anyone favor. It your own responsibility reacting to it. Ignorance everywhere
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
GustavBahler

12/8/2016  9:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/8/2016  9:22 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Good question. My question would be why would Melo go to great pains (from what Phil said in an interview) to keep the lines of communication open with him just to ignore what he says? Doesn't make sense.

You know the numbers better than I do. Last season it looks like Melo showed more of a balanced attack as far as his stats. He was a great mentor to KP, had his back. Looks like someone who is trying to be the player Phil wants him to be.

His rough start aside, don't believe criticizing Melo in public will do anything but increase whatever rift there is between them. All Phil is doing with all his tweets is pissing off one of his best players, giving ammunition to the teams his players have to face. I don't see anything in our record since Phil got here that would indicate that this has helped one bit.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/8/2016  9:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/8/2016  9:41 AM
KNICKSdom wrote:The media just want to sell. Who know what is real and what is not? Phil can say whatever. Media can paint it in anyone favor. It your own responsibility reacting to it. Ignorance everywhere

I agree with you that's the media these days. It's all tabloidish. They make shyt up all day. Don't know what to believe anymore.

Chandler
Member: #6197

12/8/2016  9:55 AM
If Carmelo was protesting he's a mental midget and a baby. there is absolutely nothing wrong with Phil's approach and his criticism wasn't nonsense; Riley used it; Pop uses it

And it's not like the criticism wasn't fair: he didn't call him a ball-hog (that's media); he said he holds on to the ball too long and that benefits the defense. That is indisputable

Keep in mind we're not talking about a player who has won rings, and a GM who doesn't know what he's talking about.

(5)(5)
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
12/8/2016  10:00 AM
Melo is his own worse enemy. You want to be great? You want to be a champ? FIT IN!

I think Melo has been better recently and last night was not anything but an ass-kicking.

2 or 3 games ago, he scored 20+ points without any iso and just took what the offense gave him. IN crunch time, he stepped and scored because he wasn't tired and beat up.

5 or 6 coaches in his time in NY and we are still talking about him holding the ball too long. Jackson is right and he has all the right in the world to call Melo out. Jackson played on the NY championship teams that moved the ball. The triangle is his pet offense because it is about ball and player movement.

It works! Hornacek knows it too and coaches ball movement.

The only guy that doesn't listen is #7. He is so talented but he needs to fit in so the team can improve around him. WHen needed, then go to work as he has recently, to carry the team through tough times in a game.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/8/2016  11:00 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Melo is his own worse enemy. You want to be great? You want to be a champ? FIT IN!

I think Melo has been better recently and last night was not anything but an ass-kicking.

2 or 3 games ago, he scored 20+ points without any iso and just took what the offense gave him. IN crunch time, he stepped and scored because he wasn't tired and beat up.

5 or 6 coaches in his time in NY and we are still talking about him holding the ball too long. Jackson is right and he has all the right in the world to call Melo out. Jackson played on the NY championship teams that moved the ball. The triangle is his pet offense because it is about ball and player movement.

It works! Hornacek knows it too and coaches ball movement.

The only guy that doesn't listen is #7. He is so talented but he needs to fit in so the team can improve around him. WHen needed, then go to work as he has recently, to carry the team through tough times in a game.

I'm in this boat.

Melo was starting to get booed on a regular basis when he held the ball and team stopped moving. He heard it loud and clear.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/8/2016  11:00 AM
I like the transparency and being informed. Is this so damning?

“Carmelo a lot of times wants to hold the ball longer than — we have a rule: If you hold a pass two seconds, you benefit the defense. So he has a little bit of a tendency to hold it for three, four, five seconds, and then everybody comes to a stop,” Jackson said on Tuesday. “That is one of the things we work with. But he’s adjusted to (the triangle), he knows what he can do and he’s willing to see its success.”

What happens is Isola makes it into a big old deal knowing it will rile some of you up and get you angry, and anger sells newspapers and media views!!!! So making story bigger is what they do.

Was melo annoyed at media or annoyed at Phil? Hard to say. Melo is smart enough to not respond to anything. Phil is Melo's employer and Melo is paid a big sum to be the team leader and take the heat. There is so much we don't know but I read that statement and its not so awful.

The Lebron comment was weeks ago. If Lebron is still angry and needs extra motivation from it Im sure he'd find something else to work on. Its not like "Ooh, im so complacent and chill, I don't care about NY knicks".

ANd there was Maverick Carter getting a hug on the court last nite.
So far Lebron in his career has been publically blasted by Dan Gilbert and Riley for hijacking a franchise and then perusing his own agenda. Now we can't call A players group "entourage" Cuz that might belittle the group as parasites, calling them a "Gang" insinuates violance, and now we know "Posse" when your over the age of 30 is also disrespectful if you white and say it. Im sure Phil regretted now bought to light.

So phil said his star holds the ball and is getting better at things. Somehow that cost us a game last nite. Laughable.
If anything, some of you critical of phil should be saying "Melo is max player and I would expect he can perform two nites in a row".
Melo wanted in on the triangle thing, stay in NY and the Money. Cool, so whats wrong with a bit of accountability and transparency.
Was it better when our GM's said nothing?

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/8/2016  11:03 AM
Chandler wrote:If Carmelo was protesting he's a mental midget and a baby. there is absolutely nothing wrong with Phil's approach and his criticism wasn't nonsense; Riley used it; Pop uses it

And it's not like the criticism wasn't fair: he didn't call him a ball-hog (that's media); he said he holds on to the ball too long and that benefits the defense. That is indisputable

Keep in mind we're not talking about a player who has won rings, and a GM who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I agree, and I support Melo when he's hated on. What did Phil say? Dont hold the ball so long? Ball hogging? Which one of these isnt true? This is Melo's 15th year. He's got the lowest assist avg of his whole career. Melo can be a big boy like the rest of us in the real world and deal with it.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/8/2016  11:41 AM
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:If Carmelo was protesting he's a mental midget and a baby. there is absolutely nothing wrong with Phil's approach and his criticism wasn't nonsense; Riley used it; Pop uses it

I agree, and I support Melo when he's hated on. What did Phil say? Dont hold the ball so long? Ball hogging? Which one of these isnt true? This is Melo's 15th year. He's got the lowest assist avg of his whole career. Melo can be a big boy like the rest of us in the real world and deal with it.

Im not even sure Melo is all that upset about it. He might have been blindsided by the quote or unprepared, and the media is annoying, so he might have been annoyed at them.
So Im not keen on slamming Melo for the way he reacted.

So when I re-read Phils statement, its really not all that bad.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/8/2016  1:08 PM
Nalod wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Im not even sure Melo is all that upset about it. He might have been blindsided by the quote or unprepared, and the media is annoying, so he might have been annoyed at them.

exactly... I mean he said Melo can play the Kobe/Jordan role, but yea... lets focus on the negative.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/8/2016  2:26 PM
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:
fishmike wrote:

exactly... I mean he said Melo can play the Kobe/Jordan role, but yea... lets focus on the negative.

If melo is smart he will let his game do the talking;

for the most part i thought the team was putting him in excellent position to succeed often. Giving good passes, in the right spot etc. plenty of opportunities

He still has too many instances though where he resorts to holding on the ball too long; or using the final 9 seconds of the clock to dribble the ball up court and launch a three. This is telling your teammates a big F U. I'm better one-on-one (or even one on two or three) than we are working as a team.

He has to evolve past this. It's not good for the team or ultimately his own success. One thing I hope is that he respects Noah and Rose and that they came from a winning team. Hoping they can can instill/demand that personal sacrifice can be for the greater good.

If they're smart they realize last night was an ass-whooping that they can learn from. WHat do they need to improve, etc. ANd also use it as motivation

(5)(5)
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/8/2016  2:32 PM
Oh my good...
Melo was criticized... blasphemy!!! ...unacceptable!!!... betrayal!!!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Carmelo Prostesting Phil's Nonsense talk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy