WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

12/2/2016  2:17 AM
arkrud wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
arkrud wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
holfresh wrote:Im watching CSpan right now..Republicans in the house talking about corporate tax cuts to help the deficit..It's comical..I had math in school..A negative number plus another negative number makes a bigger negative number..

Talking about elimination of the death tax..Trump's kids must be creaming themselves..

I wonder what's in it for these congressmen..Maybe the lobbyist just working them before they kick out that Christmas bonus..

Trickle down...one more time. Never worked...never will, but the GOP has an addiction to it.

Trickle down surely works... raining down does not...
Person on social help or min salary in US has more purchasing power that middle class in Russia or upper middle class in Tanzania.
No one will never be satisfied with what is trickling down and no one should.
Humans need to stay motivated to even move the finger not talking about working hard.

Wealth distribution will get out of hand even more...Trickle means more profit for executives... a bitter way of describing it is "trickle over," or "Trickle Up." Add the minimum wage hike aversion by the GOP and continued attempts to weaken unions, and things are going to get ugly at some point.

So what this evil 1% does with all this wealth? Boiling and eating it? Stuffing it into pillows?
Spending on personal bunkers to hide during nuclear war puking into golden toilets with diamond handles?

Based on what we've seen from the last 3 GOP Presidents...it does not work. Period.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire

12/2/2016  2:22 AM
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so when is trump visiting russia for his thank you tour?

Here is one Russian town hoping that he comes to see them...they are already welcoming him.

Putin started laying out what he expected from the US today in a speech..He said he expected things to be done equally with America..If not it could become dangerous..

Developing nation economy with a ruler who imagines he's leading the Soviet Union at its height.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

12/2/2016  2:25 AM
djsunyc wrote:trump wants to bring people together. 2 protesters are there and he makes fun of them. i'm sure his supporters are eating it up but this person is actually making me physically ill. he's giving a wwf promo lol.

Crowds are his truth serum...you really get to see how little class the man has.

smackeddog
Member: #883
12/2/2016  4:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2016  4:20 AM
martin wrote:this is our country

I despair, because I have no idea how you counter that politically- just people who refuse to acknowledge or accept a basic fact.

The argument is basically:

"I believe x and I know that because of y"
"But y isn't true- it never happened"
"Well I still believe it!"

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/2/2016  6:59 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:For anyone who doesn't know about Pepe the Frog as a hate symbol...

I know it was not originally an offensive symbol...but neither was the swastika, a design used thousands of years before the Nazis.

If you actually go to Alt-Right sites on the web or check out certain Twitter accounts you see Pepe on a regular basis.

Anyone using this symbol in a political discussion is getting called out by me if I happen to see it. "Alt-Right," Neo-Nazi, White Supremacy stuff has no place around here.

I understand that we have some folks around here with racist views, but using something now listed as a symbol of hate by the ADL does not see appropriate around here.

Walt, you replied to my post in the other thread (which it appears was deleted as I can't find it?), where there was a small picture of that frog with no Swastika or anything negative about it, with something like "You're using that picture with that F'n Neo Nazi Pepe Character" Do you really think using the "F" word is appropriate? Do you not think that would offend people, like maybe me? It is just ironic, you get offended and come back with that language? Is that why the post was deleted, but here you are posting a Pepe image with the very symbology you denounce?
I had zero idea that frog could be offensive and I really doubt most people are using it with hate in mind.

The anti defamation league has said that not all Pepe usage is racist. Of course not, you yourself said it was hijacked. That character is all over Reddit and from the posts I've read (hundreds) I didn't see racist statements, just some in poor taste perhaps. I didn't see Pepe with Swastikas either. You basically attacked me for a mistake and never apologized, checked in with me, or the like. And you talk about offensive? In hundreds of pages there was that 1 use of the character (that I saw) and here you are laying ground rules on posting? And you called me ignorant?

Who here has racist views? I was accused of having racist views because I asked for responsible borders and admitted I was against Mexico paying for the wall. The name calling ended real quick when I mentioned my Grandfather was from Syria...

Peace,
EMS

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
earthmansurfer
Germany
12/2/2016  7:03 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
holfresh wrote:Im watching CSpan right now..Republicans in the house talking about corporate tax cuts to help the deficit..It's comical..I had math in school..A negative number plus another negative number makes a bigger negative number..

Talking about elimination of the death tax..Trump's kids must be creaming themselves..

I wonder what's in it for these congressmen..Maybe the lobbyist just working them before they kick out that Christmas bonus..

Trickle down...one more time. Never worked...never will, but the GOP has an addiction to it.

Holfresh too (Was that article not clear?)

One of the creators of the tax plan, which I posted before (here is the link: Trump's Plan Isn't Trickle-Down Economics http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/StephenMoore/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-trickle-down-economics/2016/10/04/id/751523/) said it isn't trickle down economics. Just because corporations are getting a tax cut, that doesn't make it trickle down. The cuts are across the board.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
holfresh
Member: #1081

12/2/2016  7:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2016  8:17 AM
earthmansurfer wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

One of the creators of the tax plan, which I posted before (here is the link: Trump's Plan Isn't Trickle-Down Economics http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/StephenMoore/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-trickle-down-economics/2016/10/04/id/751523/) said it isn't trickle down economics. Just because corporations are getting a tax cut, that doesn't make it trickle down. The cuts are across the board.

It is trickle down, but all that doesn't matter because that plan is scrapped as I stated in my last post...Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has his own plan which will be implemented ahead of Trump's, Kudlow's plan and that plan is trickle down too...

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/2/2016  8:37 AM
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
arkrud wrote:All current researches are based on premise that urbanization continue to be the main driver for population shift.
But reality shows that this trend is reversing.
Automation, robotization, computerization, and productivity grows already created huge excess of working hands and heads in the cities and we will see outflow of people back out of overcrowded urban centers as soon as the social help will not be able to keep them afloat. People will stream back to country site where they can be self-sufficient at least to the level of surviving.
This is already happening in Russia and other countries which are industrialized but failed to collect enough of public wealth to support large unemployed and underemployed population in cities.
It will take more time in US but is inevitable.
What most of the pundits see as racial or nationalistic issues are in fact demographic issues which they always were.
The refusal of general public to accept this reality is related to human race inability to control demographic for the most part.
The loss of control is psychologically unacceptable and depressive for many people.

demographics and race are intertwined. trump campaigned on race - i don't think that's even up for debate. there is enough data to support it.

i think white people in this country were ready for a change (obama) but to overcome what's in the subconscious takes a long time and trump was able to revert many back to it. racism isn't just about screaming at someone who's a different color - it's engrained in everyone since this country was built on racism. it's still very institutional and all of us have it in us whether we choose to admit it or not. but the fact is, one race has dominated all the others in this country - and any set back in terms of racial unity - and this election is a set back - takes years to overcome and further engrains what's already in our subconscious.

10th if not hundreds of millions emigrants came to US after slavery was abolished and even after segregation was ended.
Still they posses racist and nationalistic views they brought from other countries.
At least on the surface this manifests as such.
Deep inside it is the same tribal "us against the world" position which comes out of necessity to survive.
The only way to overcome this huge drag on the progress is to collect as much of public wealth as possible to support basic needs of all population groups. We are not there yet and focus should be on getting the pie bigger no evenly distributed.
Later proved to make it smaller.
Obviously it is counterintuitive and not easily accepted by those who are on the tin end.
But life in not fair. It is just what it is.

I do believe you are contradicting yourself here. On page one you explained that "wasteland" is of the social variety, and how US is not "wasteland" when it comes to that. I have to agree, compared to some of the other countries the United States have better social programs , but that's a direct result of splitting the wealth or "pie" to pay for healthcare, welfare, SS, education, disability etc. In this post you are advocating for concentration of the wealth which effectively cuts those said programs and would actually increase the "social wasteland" effect.
So which is it? Should US support its social benefits or give everything to the rich and pray that they take it upon themselves to distribute that wealth using the wonderful yet unexistant trickle down effect? To go the first path Trump is not the right leader. The second path will bring America closer to the proverbial and aforementioned "social wasteland" and yes, in that case Trump is your man.

There is no way the rich will give anything to the pure. They will not.
The mechanics of the society should make this act profitable and desirable.
You do this act and it makes you better financially and raze your social status.
People in general statistically are not inclined to do anything for anybody without some kind of profit.
Financial, psychological, moral, or whatever.
There are exceptions but they just proving the rule.
I think our society is setup to force people give up part of their wealth to support unfortunate or inept once.
And Trump/No-Trump has nothing to do with it.
And yes - we do have our internal "wastelands" and this problem will grow and will need attention.
The only way to make the things better is to work on them and to put aside any illusions and utopias about what people are.
We are still ugly creatures and we need to be kept in check. All of us.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
USA
12/2/2016  8:46 AM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:damn son...this trump rally...i haven't seen that many white people on tv since friends was on the air...

I saw Xi Jinping speak... and I never so so many Chines on TV since Mao spoke...

When I was young I was sent to visit my Great Grandparents in North Carolina. I was on a country road and was chased by the Klan in a Mint Green Chevy. I'll never forget that. If you were with me they'd be after your ass too!!! Don't be so smug about things you should know better. My Grandmothers, mother and father are still around from the "Good Old Days", they could tell you a lot about race relations in this country.

A lot of people are uneasy with this Trump Presidency for good reason. They haven't forgotten what life in this country can be like. It's not like we ever really got past the deep racial issues in this country. Despite the Election of Obama. This is REAL for a lot of us. I know you may not know this but not much has changed in some parts of this country. Get out of NY and visit parts of Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida or Alabama.

I fully understand your experience and mentioned many times that I experienced same feeling as Jew in Europe. So did my family and many people I know.
But I do not allow the phantoms of the past to impact my vision of the world.
I do not blame descendants of killers and bigots for the sins of their ancestors.
Innocent until proved guilty.
If you want to fight the fire do not pure gasoline on it.
Black Americans are not around Trump because it is their decision, not because Trump and his supporters segregate them.
This is self-segregation. And it manifests itself in many ways. Trump is just recent reminder about it.
The roots of it are understandable and no blame can be placed after what transpired in the past.
But no one outside can help to deal with it and overcome it. This is internal thing and personal responsibility.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2016  8:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2016  8:48 AM
arkrud wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
arkrud wrote:All current researches are based on premise that urbanization continue to be the main driver for population shift.
Automation, robotization, computerization, and productivity grows already created huge excess of working hands and heads in the cities and we will see outflow of people back out of overcrowded urban centers as soon as the social help will not be able to keep them afloat. People will stream back to country site where they can be self-sufficient at least to the level of surviving.
This is already happening in Russia and other countries which are industrialized but failed to collect enough of public wealth to support large unemployed and underemployed population in cities.
What most of the pundits see as racial or nationalistic issues are in fact demographic issues which they always were.
The refusal of general public to accept this reality is related to human race inability to control demographic for the most part.
The loss of control is psychologically unacceptable and depressive for many people.

demographics and race are intertwined. trump campaigned on race - i don't think that's even up for debate. there is enough data to support it.

i think white people in this country were ready for a change (obama) but to overcome what's in the subconscious takes a long time and trump was able to revert many back to it. racism isn't just about screaming at someone who's a different color - it's engrained in everyone since this country was built on racism. it's still very institutional and all of us have it in us whether we choose to admit it or not. but the fact is, one race has dominated all the others in this country - and any set back in terms of racial unity - and this election is a set back - takes years to overcome and further engrains what's already in our subconscious.

10th if not hundreds of millions emigrants came to US after slavery was abolished and even after segregation was ended.
Still they posses racist and nationalistic views they brought from other countries.
Deep inside it is the same tribal "us against the world" position which comes out of necessity to survive.
The only way to overcome this huge drag on the progress is to collect as much of public wealth as possible to support basic needs of all population groups. We are not there yet and focus should be on getting the pie bigger no evenly distributed.
Obviously it is counterintuitive and not easily accepted by those who are on the tin end.

I do believe you are contradicting yourself here. On page one you explained that "wasteland" is of the social variety, and how US is not "wasteland" when it comes to that. I have to agree, compared to some of the other countries the United States have better social programs , but that's a direct result of splitting the wealth or "pie" to pay for healthcare, welfare, SS, education, disability etc. In this post you are advocating for concentration of the wealth which effectively cuts those said programs and would actually increase the "social wasteland" effect.
So which is it? Should US support its social benefits or give everything to the rich and pray that they take it upon themselves to distribute that wealth using the wonderful yet unexistant trickle down effect? To go the first path Trump is not the right leader. The second path will bring America closer to the proverbial and aforementioned "social wasteland" and yes, in that case Trump is your man.

You do this act and it makes you better financially and raze your social status.
People in general statistically are not inclined to do anything for anybody without some kind of profit.
I think our society is setup to force people give up part of their wealth to support unfortunate or inept once.
And yes - we do have our internal "wastelands" and this problem will grow and will need attention.
The only way to make the things better is to work on them and to put aside any illusions and utopias about what people are.

Really? People like Donald Trump are paying less in taxes than lower income Americans are. They're paying the taxes for all the infrastructure and public services that he benefits from!

holfresh

12/2/2016  8:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2016  8:58 AM
arkrud wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

Do you ever think about some of the things you say???So the 245 years of slavery where the wealthy of this country benefited from free slave labor is what then???..Was society set up then to benefit the wealthy literally on the backs of the poor..Can you really be that obtuse???

arkrud
USA
12/2/2016  8:57 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

Really? People like Donald Trump are paying less in taxes than lower income Americans are.

There are many ways this done and most of them indirect.
Absolute majority of wealth own by 1% is working in the economy, creating working places, producing good and services, makes all our life moving.
Because the most profitable use of wealth is to make it work and produce more wealth not to make golden toilets and such.
Granted a lot of wealth is used for luxury and some outrages stuff but even this needs to be obtained from other players in the economy and actually personal consumption of reach is heavily taxed.
The only measure of the success of the society at the end of the day is people security, well-being, happiness, freedom, and opportunity.
US is one of the absolute leader in this.
Can we do better? Can we share more? Do we have issues, bad people, criminals, bigots? Yes, Yes, and Yes.
But we are moving in right direction. Lets keep moving and lets argue everything. This is the best way to solve issues.

arkrud
USA
12/2/2016  9:04 AM
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

Do you ever think about some of the things you say???So the 245 years of slavery where the wealthy of this country benefited from free slave labor is what then???..Was society set up then to benefit the wealthy literally on the backs of the poor..Can you really be that obtuse???

Human race had thousands years of slavery in many countries.
It was more advanced social setting comparing to primitive tribal society.
In Rome Empire or ancient Egypt citizens benefited from slavery until this settings became a drag to progress and gone.
The wealth concentration is required for progress. The way it is done can be ugly and it is.
But this is how human race evolved and operates.
Any attempt to brake this ended up in disaster.
We are what we are - greedy and selfish carnivores.
We are getting better over time but really slowly.

holfresh

12/2/2016  9:27 AM
arkrud wrote:
holfresh wrote:
arkrud wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

Human race had thousands years of slavery in many countries.
It was more advanced social setting comparing to primitive tribal society.
In Rome Empire or ancient Egypt citizens benefited from slavery until this settings became a drag to progress and gone.
The wealth concentration is required for progress. The way it is done can be ugly and it is.
But this is how human race evolved and operates.
Any attempt to brake this ended up in disaster.
We are what we are - greedy and selfish carnivores.
We are getting better over time but really slowly.

Their descendants are some of the inept ones you are referring to..Those people didn't become inept on their own, they were helped to that place and you are benefiting from a system built on that..So whether you not you have a valid point about where tax money goes, you should try to appreciate the historical context of how we got here...

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/2/2016  10:17 AM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:damn son...this trump rally...i haven't seen that many white people on tv since friends was on the air...

I saw Xi Jinping speak... and I never so so many Chines on TV since Mao spoke...

When I was young I was sent to visit my Great Grandparents in North Carolina. I was on a country road and was chased by the Klan in a Mint Green Chevy. I'll never forget that. If you were with me they'd be after your ass too!!! Don't be so smug about things you should know better. My Grandmothers, mother and father are still around from the "Good Old Days", they could tell you a lot about race relations in this country.

A lot of people are uneasy with this Trump Presidency for good reason. They haven't forgotten what life in this country can be like. It's not like we ever really got past the deep racial issues in this country. Despite the Election of Obama. This is REAL for a lot of us. I know you may not know this but not much has changed in some parts of this country. Get out of NY and visit parts of Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida or Alabama.

now that's an amazing detail. What year?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
12/2/2016  10:29 AM
earthmansurfer wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

EMS, read up on what happened in the state of Kansas. It was hailed as the great experiment in 2010 for governor Brown. Tax cuts across the board; and indeed this is trickle down.

https://newrepublic.com/article/119574/sam-brownbacks-conservative-utopia-kansas-has-become-hell

The midterm elections of 2010 were good for Republicans nearly everywhere, but amid the national Tea Party insurgency, it was easy to overlook the revolution that was brewing in Kansas. That year, the GOP won every federal and statewide office. Sam Brownback, a genial U.S. senator best known for his ardent social conservatism, captured the governor’s mansion with nearly double the votes of his Democratic opponent.And having conquered Kansas so convincingly, he was determined not to squander the opportunity. His administration, he declared, would be a “real live experiment” that would prove, once and for all, that the way to achieve prosperity was by eliminating government from economic life.

Brownback’s agenda bore the imprint of three decades of right-wing agitation, particularly that of the anti-government radicals Charles and David Koch and their Wichita-based Koch Industries, the single largest contributors to Brownback’s campaigns. Brownback appointed accountant Steve Anderson, who had developed a model budget for the Kochs’ advocacy arm, Americans for Prosperity, as his budget director. Another Koch-linked group, the Kansas Policy Institute, supported his controversial tax proposals. As Brownback later explained to The Wall Street Journal, “My focus is to create a red-state model that allows the Republican ticket to say, ‘See, we’ve got a different way, and it works.’”

Brownback established an Office of the Repealer to take a scythe to regulations on business, he slashed spending on the poor by tightening welfare requirements, he rejected federal Medicaid subsidies and privatized the delivery of Medicaid, and he dissolved four state agencies and eliminated 2,000 state jobs. The heart of his program consisted of drastic tax cuts for the wealthy and eliminating taxes on income from profits for more than 100,000 Kansas businesses. No other state had gone this far. He was advised by the godfather of supply-side economics himself, the Reagan-era economist Arthur Laffer, who described the reforms as “a revolution in a cornfield.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-kansas-tea-party-disaster-20141023

Extremist Republicans turned their government into a lab experiment of tax cuts and privatization. And now they may be losing control of one of the reddest states in the nation

The devastation to that state is unreal. Tax cuts in this manor do not work.

Also, math must be done so that we can realize the % of money that represents savings when tax cuts are given from top to bottom. Even if you give a tax cut to the bottom 75% of everyone, that still only represents a proportionally small amount of total.

holfresh

12/2/2016  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2016  11:04 AM
The Trump Berlusconi parallel...

Trump’s Potential Conflicts Have a Precedent: Berlusconi’s Italy
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/business/trumps-potential-conflicts-have-a-precedent-berlusconis-italy.html?_r=0

Donald Trump has said a wealthy real estate developer like him has never been elected president, so there’s no precedent for handling the many potential conflicts of interest that come with his dual roles.

But there is at least one prominent example of a country’s top elected official continuing to own a major business empire while in office. And even if the parallel is not exact, it’s hardly encouraging: Silvio Berlusconi, who served nine years as Italy’s prime minister.

The two men share many qualities apart from their mutual admiration for President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia and attractive women. Like Mr. Trump, Mr. Berlusconi is a billionaire. He initially made his fortune as a real estate developer, then diversified into banking, advertising, publishing, news and entertainment media and ownership of the European soccer club A.C. Milan.

Like Mr. Trump, Mr. Berlusconi was elected prime minister as a change agent, called the novus homo of a populist uprising. As in the United States, (and unlike most European countries) no conflict-of-interest laws in Italy prevent the prime minister from owning a business. Like Mr. Trump, Mr. Berlusconi faced calls to divest his sprawling business empire.

Mr. Berlusconi resigned all his executive positions and directorships and pledged to have no day-to-day involvement in running the businesses. But he did not divest — he retained majority ownership and installed his adult offspring in oversight positions, much as Mr. Trump has suggested he will do.
Photo
Mr. Berlusconi, whose business interests include the A.C. Milan soccer team, was carried by fans in Milan after the team won the Italian championship in 1988. Credit Ferdinando Meazza/Associated Press

A result was an unending series of scandals, even as Mr. Berlusconi’s businesses profited and the size of his personal fortune soared, reaching $12 billion by 2005, according to an estimate by Forbes magazine, considered the most reliable guide to the world’s wealthiest people. (Berlusconi’s wealth has declined significantly since he left office. Forbes estimates his current net worth at $5.6 billion.)

“There were so many scandals with Berlusconi that it’s hard to know where to begin,” said Alexander Stille, a professor at the Columbia Journalism School and author of “The Sack of Rome,” a critical look at Mr. Berlusconi’s entangled business and political fortunes. Mr. Stille pointed to a communications law that allowed the prime minister to maintain a virtual monopoly over private television in Italy.

“That kind of thing happened all the time,” he said. “All sorts of provisions appeared to be tailor-made to fit the contours of his business empire.”

Apart from blatant conflicts of interest, there were also pervasive efforts by others to curry favor with Mr. Berlusconi by steering business to his companies, according to Oreste Pollicino, a professor of constitutional law at Bocconi University in Milan. Professor Pollicino pointed to a study by the National Bureau of Economic Research, which found that between 1994 and 2009, businesses seeking influence with Mr. Berlusconi shifted more than 1 billion euros in advertising to his television channels. The pattern was especially pronounced for companies operating in more regulated sectors.

“It’s unbelievable to us in Italy,” Mr. Pollicino said, “that we’d be comparing Berlusconi to an American president.”

Norman Eisen, a lawyer and conflicts-of-interest specialist who advised the Obama administration and is now at the Brookings Institution, agreed. “It’s shocking that we’re even having a conversation comparing Trump to Berlusconi and his antecedent strongmen of Italy, a long line that runs all the way back to Caesar,” Mr. Eisen said. “I guess we’ll all be relieved if he turns out to be Berlusconi and not Mussolini.”

Mr. Eisen said that anything is possible, though. “We’ll know when we see his actual plan to address the business conflicts,” he added. “That will tell us whether he’ll abuse and make a mockery of the office or do what every other modern president has done and put his assets in a blind trust or the equivalent.”

Via Twitter, Mr. Trump said this week that “legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations. The Presidency is a far more important task!” He said he would provide details in two weeks at a news conference with his adult offspring; previously he said he would turn running the company over to them.
Journalism that matters.
More essential than ever.

A spokeswoman said Mr. Trump declined to comment for this column.

Such an arrangement seemed to impose few restraints on Mr. Berlusconi. “Berlusconi said he had nothing to do with operating his business empire,” Mr. Stille said. “But then he’d meet with business figures like Rupert Murdoch and discuss business. There was very little separation.”
Photo
Donald J. Trump at his estate in Palm Beach, Fla., in 1995. He has said that as president he will not be involved in the operation of his businesses. Credit Davidoff Studios/Getty Images

Mr. Berlusconi’s conflicts were even more blatant than Mr. Trump’s potential conflicts, because he owned so much of the Italian media. Many of Mr. Berlusconi’s conflicts involved efforts to control coverage of him as a candidate and as prime minister. (Like Mr. Trump, he had prominent feuds with journalists who crossed him.) Despite Mr. Trump’s threats to toughen libel laws to make it easier to sue journalists, the First Amendment makes it unlikely that he can do much to control the news media.

And in his career Mr. Trump has shown more respect for the law than Mr. Berlusconi did. “Trump has pushed the legal envelope,” Mr. Eisen said. “Berlusconi broke right through it.”

While Mr. Trump may have avoided paying federal income taxes for years, he has never been accused of doing so illegally. By contrast, Mr. Berlusconi was convicted of tax evasion in 2012 and sentenced to four years in prison. (Instead, he did four hours of community service a week for a year, under a law he had supported that bestowed leniency on anyone over 70 years old.) He was also convicted of bribery and having sex with an underage prostitute, a verdict he has appealed.

But many more of Mr. Berlusconi’s businesses are domestic than Mr. Trump’s, with relatively few interests that might be influenced by foreign governments. “Trump’s business interests are primarily international,” Mr. Eisen said. “In that sense Trump is more dangerous than Berlusconi.”

He cited what he called a “small but telling example,” the Trump International Hotel in Washington, where foreign delegations are rushing to book rooms in what seems a blatant effort to curry favor. “The founders’ wigs would have flipped off their heads if they’d seen what’s happening at the Trump hotel just a few blocks from the White House,” Mr. Eisen said.

But Mr. Berlusconi had his own foreign entanglements and faced harsh criticism over his dealings with Mr. Putin. The Italian Parliament blocked a giant pipeline deal between Eni, the large Italian energy company, and Russia’s Gazprom after allegations surfaced that Mr. Berlusconi had personal interests in the agreement. Recent diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks have detailed suspicions in the State Department that “Berlusconi and his cronies are profiting personally and handsomely from many of the energy deals between Italy and Russia.”

To the dismay of many, the Italian electorate showed scant interest in any of Mr. Berlusconi’s blatant conflicts. He was elected three times despite the constant drumbeat of scandal. “None of these issues seemed to register with the Italian public,” Mr. Stille said. “It was incredibly depressing to those of us writing about it. Most Italians with limited experience outside Italy assumed this was somehow not exceptional. It was just the way the world worked.”

Indeed, Mr. Pollicino said, Mr. Berlusconi’s resignation, in 2011, had “nothing to do with any of the scandals — it was because of Italy’s severe economic distress and investors’ loss of confidence in the Italian markets.”

Like Mr. Berlusconi, Mr. Trump has said that voters were fully aware of his business activities and potential conflicts when they cast ballots for him, and that “only the crooked media makes this a big deal.”

But the fact that Mr. Berlusconi largely got away with it does not mean Mr. Trump should look to him as a role model. “Berlusconi,” Mr. Eisen said, “was widely viewed internationally as the second-greatest Italian clown since Roberto Benigni,” the comic actor. “But Italy plays a vastly smaller role in the world order than the United States does. We can’t afford to have that here, and I don’t think the American public would stand for it.”

earthmansurfer
Germany
12/2/2016  12:02 PM
martin wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

EMS, read up on what happened in the state of Kansas. It was hailed as the great experiment in 2010 for governor Brown. Tax cuts across the board; and indeed this is trickle down.

https://newrepublic.com/article/119574/sam-brownbacks-conservative-utopia-kansas-has-become-hell

The midterm elections of 2010 were good for Republicans nearly everywhere, but amid the national Tea Party insurgency, it was easy to overlook the revolution that was brewing in Kansas. That year, the GOP won every federal and statewide office. Sam Brownback, a genial U.S. senator best known for his ardent social conservatism, captured the governor’s mansion with nearly double the votes of his Democratic opponent.And having conquered Kansas so convincingly, he was determined not to squander the opportunity. His administration, he declared, would be a “real live experiment” that would prove, once and for all, that the way to achieve prosperity was by eliminating government from economic life.

Brownback’s agenda bore the imprint of three decades of right-wing agitation, particularly that of the anti-government radicals Charles and David Koch and their Wichita-based Koch Industries, the single largest contributors to Brownback’s campaigns. Brownback appointed accountant Steve Anderson, who had developed a model budget for the Kochs’ advocacy arm, Americans for Prosperity, as his budget director. Another Koch-linked group, the Kansas Policy Institute, supported his controversial tax proposals. As Brownback later explained to The Wall Street Journal, “My focus is to create a red-state model that allows the Republican ticket to say, ‘See, we’ve got a different way, and it works.’”

Brownback established an Office of the Repealer to take a scythe to regulations on business, he slashed spending on the poor by tightening welfare requirements, he rejected federal Medicaid subsidies and privatized the delivery of Medicaid, and he dissolved four state agencies and eliminated 2,000 state jobs. The heart of his program consisted of drastic tax cuts for the wealthy and eliminating taxes on income from profits for more than 100,000 Kansas businesses. No other state had gone this far. He was advised by the godfather of supply-side economics himself, the Reagan-era economist Arthur Laffer, who described the reforms as “a revolution in a cornfield.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-kansas-tea-party-disaster-20141023

Extremist Republicans turned their government into a lab experiment of tax cuts and privatization. And now they may be losing control of one of the reddest states in the nation

The devastation to that state is unreal. Tax cuts in this manor do not work.

Also, math must be done so that we can realize the % of money that represents savings when tax cuts are given from top to bottom. Even if you give a tax cut to the bottom 75% of everyone, that still only represents a proportionally small amount of total.

Thanks for sharing that with me. Not sure why you would share anything with someone with such low intelligence and whose posts you just skip over.
But seriously, what is going to work? Obama (for whatever reason) has tripled the debt. The banking system is on the edge, really just being kept afloat since 2008 in this experiment called Quantitative Easing (better known as money printing to the banks, whose bad debt is bought.) I'm serious with this btw. No matter who got in as president, the cards are stacked against them.

There seems to be, and has been, a Globalist Agenda going on for years. There are some nice things for people regarding globalization, namely less of a chance of war (I think) but mostly it has raised unemployment in the States, but "helped" Mexico, China and some other manufacturing places that are "cheaper".

So, what would be best? What could get us out of this hole? Honestly.

In a very basic way, if we lower taxes across the board, and cut governments spending by a percentage of that amount (we don't need to cut it all by that, as spending will of course go up. Poor, people, lower middle class, who don't have enough would have more, they would spend that money.) Companies would spend more (I hope) and if they just planned on stock buy backs, perhaps we need to have clauses regarding these cuts. I'm not for more "laws" but we are between a rock and a hard place. We can't do what we've been doing, during a terrible economic and global situation and expect good results.

martin
USA
12/2/2016  12:38 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:But seriously, what is going to work? Obama (for whatever reason) has tripled the debt. The banking system is on the edge, really just being kept afloat since 2008 in this experiment called Quantitative Easing (better known as money printing to the banks, whose bad debt is bought.) I'm serious with this btw. No matter who got in as president, the cards are stacked against them.

There seems to be, and has been, a Globalist Agenda going on for years. There are some nice things for people regarding globalization, namely less of a chance of war (I think) but mostly it has raised unemployment in the States, but "helped" Mexico, China and some other manufacturing places that are "cheaper".

So, what would be best? What could get us out of this hole? Honestly.

In a very basic way, if we lower taxes across the board, and cut governments spending by a percentage of that amount (we don't need to cut it all by that, as spending will of course go up. Poor, people, lower middle class, who don't have enough would have more, they would spend that money.) Companies would spend more (I hope) and if they just planned on stock buy backs, perhaps we need to have clauses regarding these cuts. I'm not for more "laws" but we are between a rock and a hard place. We can't do what we've been doing, during a terrible economic and global situation and expect good results.

What you are asking for is called Austerity and in this go-around has been underway in Europe and other places since 2008. And it has failed miserably. Also, you can't just announce that "companies would spend more (I hope)", that's not how the real world works or has worked; economics doesn't work on hope. With Trickle Down during Regan and GBush eras, that was the theory, and it failed. It was the experiment in Kansas and it failed miserably. It was implemented around the world, and it has failed.

I am not sure why you are editorializing your posts "Obama (for whatever reason) has tripled the debt". For whatever reason? How about because of the wars he was handed and the god awful economy that Bush left us in? We have Baby Boomers retiring. Many many factors. You make it sound like he did it for no reason at all and for the heck of it.

I am curious as to why you think the level of debt is bad for us right now. Also, as a percent of the size of the economy, why is it bad? And, in contrast to other historical times, why is the size of debt bad?

Does cutting taxes for those who already have ample to spend increase spending? Historically no, they just accumulate, save, and stash more.

Does the debt need to be managed long term? Yes. Is now the right time when borrowing at very low cost? It just worked for the auto industry and other places.

Also, when you cut gov't spending, what are you cutting? Schools? Healthcare (long term that will cost you MORE)? Road and construction (jobs)? Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security? What are you cutting? You don't just say cut gov't spending.

earthmansurfer
Germany
12/2/2016  12:41 PM
I think that is a pretty brutal front page for the NY Post. I wonder if Trumps policies regarding immigration don't look so bad now. (Meaning having a relatively open border is a dangerous policy.)
Here in Germany, Merkel is up for re-election next year and her one big downfall with the people is the relatively open borders regarding immigration.

OT: Politics Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy