[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Rambis put in charge of defense
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
11/8/2016  3:02 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Does anyone still disagree we should have hired Thibs?

Look at Vogel and Thibs team records so far this season- we'd be freaking out regardless

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/8/2016  3:03 PM
Sounds like the team is really embracing Rambis!

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  3:04 PM
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/8/2016  3:06 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

An interview would've been nice!

I can't imagine Thibs and Phil getting along though. Too much ego for one room.

I will say, I'd rather have Thibs running the show than Phil.

Thibs would not get the job here he got in Sota and if he was hired how would he be put in a position to succeed?

I agree. As long as Phil here, the head coach doesn't really matter.

Do you think the locker room has any respect left for Hornacek? Or do they assume Phil/Rambis are calling the shots?

I dont know.. we just arent privy to the conversations and how they go down. This might be a work in progress and JH has a lot of input and there is healthy dialog. Everyone always assumes the worst. Its the Knicks... I get it. What if they start playing better?

Hey I really hope they do start playing better. But I think it's fair to say that this is a worrisome sign. Why did Hornacek only get 6 games to figure it out? Especially when his new Pg missed almost all of training camp for a bogus trial?

If this works and the defense improves I'll be the first to applaud Phil and Hornacek and Rambis. I just think it's a bad sign. Hornacek looking uncomfortable addressing the media right now - it doesn't seem like he's totally on board. Maybe he's just annoyed at the media. Time will tell.

generally the tabloids here do not like Phil or MSG at all, so if there is a sliver of info there will be a negative spin. Sometimes that is justified, but its tough to see through the haze. Only time will tell, its very early. They just need to win games. Beat the Nets and find a way to take one from Bos/Tor.

Its the Knicks... knowing this team we lose to the Nets by 20 than win b2b vs. Bos/Tor. Usually the Knicks are retarded. Its soooo early.. lets see what happens. We wont know until its done.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  3:07 PM
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  3:09 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Thibs would not get the job here he got in Sota and if he was hired how would he be put in a position to succeed?

Do you think the locker room has any respect left for Hornacek? Or do they assume Phil/Rambis are calling the shots?

I dont know.. we just arent privy to the conversations and how they go down. This might be a work in progress and JH has a lot of input and there is healthy dialog. Everyone always assumes the worst. Its the Knicks... I get it. What if they start playing better?

Hey I really hope they do start playing better. But I think it's fair to say that this is a worrisome sign. Why did Hornacek only get 6 games to figure it out? Especially when his new Pg missed almost all of training camp for a bogus trial?

If this works and the defense improves I'll be the first to applaud Phil and Hornacek and Rambis. I just think it's a bad sign. Hornacek looking uncomfortable addressing the media right now - it doesn't seem like he's totally on board. Maybe he's just annoyed at the media. Time will tell.

generally the tabloids here do not like Phil or MSG at all, so if there is a sliver of info there will be a negative spin. Sometimes that is justified, but its tough to see through the haze. Only time will tell, its very early. They just need to win games. Beat the Nets and find a way to take one from Bos/Tor.

Its the Knicks... knowing this team we lose to the Nets by 20 than win b2b vs. Bos/Tor. Usually the Knicks are retarded. Its soooo early.. lets see what happens. We wont know until its done.

I agree that the tabloids take a negative spin.

I'm not even reading the tabloid articles - I'm just following this over twitter.

But you can't really spin Melo, Rose, and Hornacek's comments - none of them are happy with this move. It presents yet another obstacle for the team. And again - we're SIX GAMES into the season. SIX GAMES.

¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/8/2016  3:12 PM
Im sure nobody is over reacting here.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/8/2016  3:16 PM
Nalod wrote:Im sure nobody is over reacting here.

You were fine with the idea of Rambis being hired as head coach this season. You're um........ undereacting!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/8/2016  3:24 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I'm not even reading the tabloid articles - I'm just following this over twitter.

But you can't really spin Melo, Rose, and Hornacek's comments - none of them are happy with this move. It presents yet another obstacle for the team. And again - we're SIX GAMES into the season. SIX GAMES.

question... which do you think they are MORE unhappy with? The move? Or being questioned about it? I think these guys are well aware of how anything they say will be twisted tabloid fodder, so their responses are just whatever, I will do what they tell me.

Again.. I am not saying that is the case, only that its got the same level of probability of them actually caring. The fact is Lee/Melo/Rose/Noah know this is on them. They should be able to execute any basic pro offense. They are 2-4 and struggling. No spin from me... just wait and see. Mom and Dad had a grumpy exchange over the dirty dishes. It doesnt mean a divorce is imminent.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
11/8/2016  3:28 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Misleading- he was the defensive coach for the lakers championship squads- they were top 5th or 6th defensive teams

crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  3:31 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

question... which do you think they are MORE unhappy with? The move? Or being questioned about it? I think these guys are well aware of how anything they say will be twisted tabloid fodder, so their responses are just whatever, I will do what they tell me.

Again.. I am not saying that is the case, only that its got the same level of probability of them actually caring. The fact is Lee/Melo/Rose/Noah know this is on them. They should be able to execute any basic pro offense. They are 2-4 and struggling. No spin from me... just wait and see. Mom and Dad had a grumpy exchange over the dirty dishes. It doesnt mean a divorce is imminent.

Melo constantly says now that he doesn't want to talk about the Triangle. Wouldn't he be worried that would be twisted out of shape, too? Melo's pretty candid with the media. So is Rose. So is Noah - curious to see if he addresses it.

¿ △ ?
KP4Life
Member: #6117
USA
11/8/2016  3:33 PM
Sneak Tank is still in effect. See you guys didn't believe me
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  3:34 PM
Nalod wrote:Im sure nobody is over reacting here.

Yeah, I remember when you said I was overreacting last spring when I said Phil wanted the team to run the Triangle and wanted Rambis to be the coach.

Rambis was kept on to be the Triangle expert and now he is the defensive coordinator. So he's only in charge of the offense and defense. Phil clearly didn't want him as head coach!

Lakers beat the Warriors, by the way. Sorry I keep being right about stuff. Carry on.

¿ △ ?
Finestrg
Member: #1069

11/8/2016  3:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2016  3:53 PM
crzymdups wrote:For the record, Rambis is a terrible defensive coach. Fisher understood how to guard the 3pt line. Rambis does not. That showed in the stats the last thirty games Rambis coached.

Granted he didn't really have good players but Fisher's Knicks weren't any good at closing out on perimeter shooters either. The Knicks haven't been a real good team at closing at on shooters since the 90s. Hopefully having Rambis in charge of the defense can help although I'm not holding my breath.

Here's a good article about JVG's take on our troubles:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2.1220/van-gundy-triangle-talk-distracts-terrible-knicks-defense-article-1.2864562

I like his take -- maybe it isn't so much about the triangle, Melo ISO, this that and the other, but more about KP/Noah forming a wall inside, communication, and the players all holding themselves accountable. you can also tell he doesn't care for Phil coming on the court to help in practices but he was diplomatic about it, instead saying there needs to be strong communication there too--if Jeff's OK with it, he should say it and mean it; if not, he needs to tell him it puts him in a bad spot with the players and thanks but no thanks. I agree. Definitely agree with open communication all around.

So disappointing that we're spazzing out in so many areas because I truly believe this team can win some games and be very competitive. Praying every day it get's better..

crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  4:08 PM
Finestrg wrote:
crzymdups wrote:For the record, Rambis is a terrible defensive coach. Fisher understood how to guard the 3pt line. Rambis does not. That showed in the stats the last thirty games Rambis coached.

Granted he didn't really have good players but Fisher's Knicks weren't any good at closing out on perimeter shooters either. The Knicks haven't been a real good team at closing at on shooters since the 90s. Hopefully having Rambis in charge of the defense can help although I'm not holding my breath.

Here's a good article about JVG's take on our troubles:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2.1220/van-gundy-triangle-talk-distracts-terrible-knicks-defense-article-1.2864562

I like his take -- maybe it isn't so much about the triangle, Melo ISO, this that and the other, but more about KP/Noah forming a wall inside, communication, and the players all holding themselves accountable. you can also tell he doesn't care for Phil coming on the court to help in practices but he was diplomatic about it, instead saying there needs to be strong communication there too--if Jeff's OK with it, he should say it and mean it; if not, he needs to tell him it puts him in a bad spot with the players and thanks but no thanks. I agree. Definitely agree with open communication all around.

So disappointing that we're spazzing out in so many areas because I truly believe this team can win some games and be very competitive. Praying every day it get's better..

Yeah, I agree - the most concerning thing is that the team seems to be spazzing and overreacting so much six games in.

I thought the Knicks were better at 3pt defense under Fisher and then fell way off under Rambis. I had looked up the stats at one point, might do it again, but don't really have time or the urge right now.

I think their defensive issues come down to switches, rotations, closing out on shooters from the 3pt line.

Honestly, Rose and Melo and KP have all been terrible on defense so far. But it seems there is confusion about when to switch and how and where to recover, etc. It doesn't seem like switching really helps them all that much - they switched off Hayward and George Hill and both guys toasted them.

¿ △ ?
smackeddog
11/8/2016  4:14 PM
TeamBall
Member: #4386

11/8/2016  4:18 PM
Between Melo and Hornacek's comments, I'm starting to think Rambis sits alone during the teams lunches.

Seriously though, I would love for this to turn out fortunately but knowing the Knicks it'll be a stepping stone to implosion. One interesting thing to note is that Phil so far has done what some fans were complaining we've failed to do for so long. The complaint was the lack of aligned from top to bottom. Phil actually came in with a system and sought coaching personnel to run it (the players are a WHOOOOOLE different issue). The triangle must really be out of favor with the current league for the process to receive so much resistance.

Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  4:28 PM
TeamBall wrote:Between Melo and Hornacek's comments, I'm starting to think Rambis sits alone during the teams lunches.

Seriously though, I would love for this to turn out fortunately but knowing the Knicks it'll be a stepping stone to implosion. One interesting thing to note is that Phil so far has done what some fans were complaining we've failed to do for so long. The complaint was the lack of aligned from top to bottom. Phil actually came in with a system and sought coaching personnel to run it (the players are a WHOOOOOLE different issue). The triangle must really be out of favor with the current league for the process to receive so much resistance.

The Triangle was very effective before zone defenses became legal. He won 9 championships before that happened. After the 2002 season, zone defense became legal and sagging off your man became more standard in the league - it became a lot easier to pack the paint and double team. Phil has only won 2 championships since then - including 2 seasons where he came up empty with a Shaq/Kobe super squad in 2003 and 2004.

The response to guys sagging into the paint in a loose zone is for teams to spread the floor better and kick it out to open three point shooters, which MDA figured out in PHX and Golden State built a power house. Popovich does it with the Spurs, too. You need outside shooting to be able to beat that defense - you also in turn must be able to DEFEND three point shooting teams. I don't know if Phil has responded to that. He likes two bigs on the floor at all times, which doesn't really work against a lot of teams that play smaller these days.

The 2011 Dallas Mavericks won a championship playing mostly zone defense, more zone than anyone in the league. They also swept the defending champion Lakers out of the playoffs in the second round, leading to Phil's retirement from coaching. I don't know if Phil has accepted that the ideal spacing of the Triangle offense is rendered effectively useless by a zone defense. You need farther spacing and great shooters to punish teams for sagging off their men - you need movement, too, I like that aspect of the Triangle. But a lot of the Triangle is outmoded because of the zone and the way other teams play now.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
11/8/2016  4:30 PM
The biggest thing to watch in terms of how big an impact this Rambis move has -

so far Hornacek has played a fair amount of small lineups. He's played Rose and Jennings side by side and he's put KP at the 5 and Melo at the 4.

That's against Phil's defensive principals and the Triangle principals (two pg is a no-no in the Triangle, two big men is a requirement).

I am very curious to see if Rambis being put in charge of the defense means that the lineups we have seen Hornacek using will change.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/8/2016  4:45 PM
Sorry but this just sucks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Rambis put in charge of defense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy