Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/21/2016  11:14 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:For some perspective -- this is 538's choices.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nba-predictions/?addata=espn:frontpage

Clearly they and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on the Lakers and Nets. Maybe I just thought "which teams are the worst" when I picked my sleepers.

They have the Bulls winning 10 more games than the Knicks.

The Bulls ended up putting a pretty damn good team together when everyone thought they were just throwing in the towel after the DRose trade and Noah leaving. I love J.Butler and think they'll be good but keep a eye on their chemistry as the season goes on with Rondo.

no outside shooting for that team, the Bulls last night: Rondo 1-7, Wade 3-14, Bulter 5-16

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400897299

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

10/21/2016  11:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2016  11:23 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nychamp wrote:Staying with my original prediction from the thread way back in the summer after all the signings. Knicks win between 40-45 games. Most likely compete for playoff spot 6-8, could miss postseason with 41 wins if East is very strong again. If things come together nicely, team has good luck (with injuries, etc.), pieces fit together (which I think they should), east is weaker, they could win between 47-52 and be a 3-4 seed. Lose in conference finals. Absolute best case scenario.
I think you are spot on. The only way I see over 50 wins if literally EVRYTHING goes right which means no injuries and many players have bigtime years. I predicted 42-45 which is probably where we end up.

2012/13 54 win team
PG--R.Felton
SG--J.Kidd
SF--Melo
PF--Amare
C--T.Chandler
bench--M.Camby, KMart, JR Smith, Shump, R.Wallace, K.Thomas, S.Novak

2016/17 roster
PG--DRose
SG--C.Lee
SF--Melo
PF--KP6
C--J.Noah
bench--B.Jennings, L.Thomas, Billy, J.Holiday, KOQ, Kuzminskas, N'Dour, Sasha, R.Baker, Plemlee, C.Randle

If we can stay somewhat healthy and our bench can keep us in games when they're on the floor we have a chance at being as good as the 2012/13 team. That 2012/13 team did have some beasts though that played very hard and would knock you around, unforunately you can't get away with playing the way they played anymore.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

10/21/2016  11:21 AM
BRIGGS wrote:1 Atlanta
2 Raptors
3 Cleveland
4 Boston
5 Pacers
6 Knicks
7 Detroit
8 Miami

1. GSW
2 Houston
3 Grizzlies
4 Spurs
5 T Wolves
6 Blazers
7 Clippers
8 Phoenix

Atlanta Clev----Clev
GSW--Houston---GSW

Clev

Somebody's looking for attention. Atlanta and Raptors over Cleveland in the east??

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/21/2016  1:36 PM
I think the East is gonna be a big mash pit at the top. These teams all look very close IMO. I don't see any team running away with the East. Knicks should be right in the mix. I see 50 wins depending on how quickly they can come together as a group. With a decent start they have a chance to get up over 50 wins.

The mitigating factors are not only health but the strength of the East in general. These teams will be battling to a draw for much of the season until attrition kicks in later in the season. At that point we may see some separation.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

10/21/2016  2:05 PM
1 Cavs - coast during the reg season
2 Raptors - great backcourt and solid team defense
3 Boston - improved with Horford, great coaching and defense
4 Atlanta - still solid and a motivated dwight could be scary
5 Detroit - would be higher if Reggie was there
6 Charlotte - solid defensive team with solid coaching
7 Washington - talented team that simply needs to stay healthy
8 Pacers - overrated roster with lil defense and bad coaching

1. GSW - great team on paper, may rest during the reg season
2 Clippers - only team that matches up well with GSW
3 Spurs - old team with bad defense but still have nice system
4 Blazers - good young talent with depth
5 Utah - talented rosterready to make a move
6 OKC- Russ and great defense will win them games
7 Mavericks - vets and coaching will sneak them in
8 TWolves - sneak in; currently overrated

my knicks = 40 wins - improved team that wont be able to overcome injuries and weak bench

overall - seeding will simply depend on injuries. a bunch of mediocrity this yr

Weirdest teams
- Orlando, Pacers, Heat, Bulls, Bucks,

Up and Coming Teams
- Denver, Philly, Utah

DownHill Teams
- Lakers, Kings, Grizzlies, Miami, Bulls

Worst teams
- Nets, Philly, Suns

Clev vs Boston --- Clev
GSW vs Clippers --- GSW

GSW = champions

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/21/2016  4:45 PM
another thrashing by ESPN

New York Knicks

Teams with injury-risk starters and unproven reserves are just a bad bet in the regular-season. The Knicks spasmed through more roster turnover than almost anyone, and it will take time for them to figure out how they want to play -- how much triangle they want to use, how Carmelo Anthony and Joakim Noah will share the elbows, and the best way to mesh Derrick Rose's pick-and-roll speed with Melo's slicing triple-threat game.

Placing the Knicks here is really a vote of no-confidence in Rose. He just hasn't been good in years, even when healthy, and he needs the ball to be of any use. If Noah moves in and out of the lineup, the Knicks may struggle (again) to get stops. They ranked 18th in points allowed per possession last season, and that may overstate things; opponents shot just 35.4 percent on wide-open 3s, per SportVU data provided to ESPN.com, tied with Dallas for the lowest such mark in the league.

ES
callmened
Member: #4234

10/21/2016  5:01 PM
"Teams with injury-risk starters and unproven reserves are just a bad bet in the regular-season."

my concern too

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/21/2016  6:44 PM
Even though I have the team pending health which is the primary factor in how successful they can be at 47 wins, folks really need to temper down on the 50+ talk. Only two teams even hit 50 last year in the east because 3-8 were very much on equal playing field. Only way Knicks hit 50 will take a major turning back the clocks on Rose and Noah and a major step forward with Porzingis. That's too much to ask for.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/22/2016  12:22 AM
knickscity wrote:Even though I have the team pending health which is the primary factor in how successful they can be at 47 wins, folks really need to temper down on the 50+ talk. Only two teams even hit 50 last year in the east because 3-8 were very much on equal playing field. Only way Knicks hit 50 will take a major turning back the clocks on Rose and Noah and a major step forward with Porzingis. That's too much to ask for.

Not sure I would agree that ALL of that has to happen for the Knicks to hit 50. The Knicks overall quality level should be high enough to make the game easier for everyone. So Rose doesn't have to be MVP Rose and Noah doesn't have to be DPOY Noah either. Collectively the talent on this team should allow each of them to play a role in a team concept most of the time and pick their spots when they raise their level of play. Just go and look at the 54 win team's production. They should be able to spread the load this season.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/22/2016  12:44 AM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:Even though I have the team pending health which is the primary factor in how successful they can be at 47 wins, folks really need to temper down on the 50+ talk. Only two teams even hit 50 last year in the east because 3-8 were very much on equal playing field. Only way Knicks hit 50 will take a major turning back the clocks on Rose and Noah and a major step forward with Porzingis. That's too much to ask for.

Not sure I would agree that ALL of that has to happen for the Knicks to hit 50. The Knicks overall quality level should be high enough to make the game easier for everyone. So Rose doesn't have to be MVP Rose and Noah doesn't have to be DPOY Noah either. Collectively the talent on this team should allow each of them to play a role in a team concept most of the time and pick their spots when they raise their level of play. Just go and look at the 54 win team's production. They should be able to spread the load this season.

I think Rose turns back the clock. He is a young guy, has done his rehab more intensely then most, and was able to play last year without an injury to his knees. I do worry about Noah. He is such a dynamic guy that gets his teammates to play the right way. I hope he can play 70+ games. I have no faith in KOQ. A year ago he was my favorite acquisition but he has been an incredible disappointment. I have seen him play like he is capable of being a great player for a game or two but generally he didn't show up. And yeah he passed well for two games but watching him for a year throw high risk passes that rarely workout has soured me on him. He shows up sometimes but generally he frustrates and isn't as good as Kevin Seraphin. That isn't the guy you want in your 8 man rotation.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fwk00
Member: #6048

10/25/2016  10:55 PM
I'm in for 53 wins assuming no injuries, 48 if a starter is injured for more than a few games.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
10/25/2016  11:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2016  11:10 PM
We'll start out strong, then Admiral Dolan will replace Phil with Cap'n Zeke, who will steer the ship back up on the rocks where it belongs.
https:// It's not so hard.
Make your predictions.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy